• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at the new Lara Croft

skyfall

Someone on Reddit touched up her face. Thoughts?

7Dx1WYu.png
Doesn't look much different, still a man.

Valt7786

I think she looks fine, if she wasn't scowling I think a lot of the man-face complaints would disappear. Plus it's just artwork, will wait and see what the ingame model looks like.

ssringo

Looks fine I guess. Finally caving and putting her in her classic outfit with dual pistols ain't gonna erase that Crystal Dynamics and SQEnix are still making it and I don't have confidence in either.

Puscifer

She looks great BUT why the 'featuring Lara Croft' tag line? We know who she is. They better not pull any multiple character bs for this.
There's a story leak that was DMCAd about a year ago, apparently some of the more (and I hate this term) "woke" elements have been removed like the lesbian love story but she isn't alone.

GreenAlien

The artwork is terrible. The way that outstretched arm connects with the shoulder looks off, same with the neck.. there are probably more issues..

It probably won't look like this in the game..

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Honest question: Are woke people in USA trying to redefine what women look like in order to make trans-women's looks more acceptable? Because I am getting confused by how some new games are trying to portray female characters with oddly strange faces.
It does seem to be the current trend still aye. I'd give it around five to ten years to pass.

Any Western company filled with idealistic 'moral' soldiers as of now, you can forget heterosexual normality output. I.E, big boobs, standard 'Instagram feminine features, etc, etc

They don't pay the morality cheques, sadly.

It's funny when you actually boil it down. It doesn't matter how many boy'ish looking side shaved character models they squirt out, try to make 'gay' the standard or tell you your toxic for being masculine, they'll never beat humanity out of the normal male who just likes good looking women..

That shits in most males DNA 🤷‍♂️

Doesn't matter how much they cry about it. They're failing miserably.

Nickolaidas

I like it. I get that some people call her a bloke - I like to think she's one of those women who took after their dad, face-wise - in this iteration. As long as she acts sexy as well as badass and doesn't act like she is constantly suffering from PTSD, I'm good.

She's not flat chested and she has nice eyes. In 2024, that's a win, design-wise.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Don't see a problem.
And that's all good 👍

I myself personally don't give a shite if it's a hairy fat bloke. Just as long as the story isn't the equivalent of a young adult novel full of teen drama and relationships with constant feels/talking that also seems prevalent in today's media.

TheUsual

Gold Member
There's a story leak that was DMCAd about a year ago, apparently some of the more (and I hate this term) "woke" elements have been removed like the lesbian love story but she isn't alone.
This was the DMCA'ed (only Patreon version...very strange explanation but so be it) leak you are referring to.
Hilarious read of the script.

CGNoire

It baffled me that the response to Indiana Jones The Great Circle was partly, "It should be like Uncharted because that's how jungle adventure games are made." Sure, first-person perspective in a character-centric action game is a curious choice (not unprecedented, but it'll take some getting used to even if it works,) but Uncharted did not invent the jungle adventurer game concept in any way.

Somehow Lara Croft stepped where Drake stepped (which made sense at the time, never my fave choice but Uncharted was exclusive to one platform and TR was on other platforms plus that gunplay system was becoming ubiquitous in 3rd-Person games,) but it's not like a slew of other jungle adventure games like Uncharted had come out to cement TPS/stop-and-pop/context-sensitive hero action as the one and only way to treat this setting. And meanwhile, there had previously been at least 20 Indy games which played pretty much nothing like Uncharted.
The problem with making Indy 1st person has alot to do witht the fact the Indy fist fights most of the time and 1st Person Melee sucks dick.

Madflavor

Nah, I think some of you guys have played 1 too many playstation exclusives and watched too much hollywood trash where you have forgotten what a woman looks like, because the OP aint it.

No. We've experienced something called "the outside".

You know that door in your house that you've been afraid to open all your life? That's where it goes. Real life actual women that you can touch and talk to are out there.

Last edited:

Fbh

The design looks ok. I agree the face is a bit manly but I'd have to see how the in game model looks.

Either way to me it's more about the wiriting.
Physically I actually like the new Lara from the last 3 games more than the original design, but they made her boring and unlikable as a character. Hopefully this new version remembers that she is used to be fun, cool and sexy.

Last edited:

SteadyEvo

Not a fan. Prefer the last model. I understand this is the original but it looks overly sexual and doesn’t fit exploration and combat.

Kaleinc

Banned
I don't understand why some people don't realize males and females DON'T look worlds apart, when make up is excluded. We share features with each other.

Lara looks like a good looking 30 something woman giving an aggressive expression.

Don't see a problem.
Bet you can't tell dick from cunt either. Pic in the op real or not, ai or not - man's face

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So I used faceapp to see if I could improve it, just click on gender and clicked female as everyone was saying it looked like a dude
bYUhDqB.jpg
digjkDy.jpg

Big difference I think
Then I thought, does the original really look like a dude?
So I clicked male and...
Q7SRkCF.jpg

Anthony Anderson Abc GIF by HULU

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
So I used faceapp to see if I could improve it, just click on gender and clicked female as everyone was saying it looked like a dude
bYUhDqB.jpg

That one definitivelly is a big improvement. Alot of male traces are tone down, she does looks way better and more like a woman. Even the generic pretty angry look is tone down too.

Also, how close the original is with the male version is astonishing. No way people can pretend theres no semelhance.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Crystal Dynamics has released a new artwork for its upcoming Unreal Engine 5-powered Tomb Raider game

Lara-Croft-from-UE5-Tomb-Raider.jpeg

This image was a members-only, exclusive artwork wallpaper from the official TR site.
In 2022, Crystal Dynamics officially revealed this upcoming Tomb Raider game but sadly, we don’t know much about it. The game is using the Unreal Engine 5 and will most likely only target current-gen consoles and PC.

Lara-Croft-from-UE5-Tomb-Raider-2.jpg

Now more generic looking than ever!
Also I thought featuring is used for cast with less of a role.

Madflavor

Ultimately it's going to come down to how her in-game model looks. I don't know why thought, but for some reason modern day gaming hasn't given me a whole lot of hope in that regard.

Top Bottom