• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First official clip from Netlfix's Death Note - Light Meets Ryuk

You know, I can totally buy into this version of Ryuk being the real mastermind behind Light's journey. It actually could work considering this version of Light seems like a tryhard. I just hope the movie knows it and is trying to go in that direction.

Boke1879

I don't think there is anything wrong with Ryuk giving Light the initial push.

I can see Light taking it too far and then thinking he's doing good. Inevitably becoming Kira.

Fanuilos

Huh, maybe this version of Light will take a slower burn between wanting to help society and wanting to rule society.

Kusagari

Man, Light's first kill in the manga was some crazy fucker who took kids and teachers hostage.

Two dudes bullying someone on his driveway hardly seems death note worthy. jeeeeez lol

It works if this Light is going to be portrayed as some chuuni jackass that thinks he's doing the right thing as he murders bullies and others who don't actually deserve death.

Then why even use Light as a first name seriously you can't go halfway with something and expect people not to complain. Doesn't help that I dislike most of Wolff's acting in the things I've seen him in.

Because changes are made when adapting anything to a different medium yet alone to a different country with a different culture and sensibilities. Not to mention it has to tell a complete story within a 90 minute to 2 hour film, and not a long form TV series.

chrono01

Will watch this for Dafoe's Ryuk alone, seems amazing so far. Not loving the way they're portraying Light in this clip, but might not be as bad as I think it'll be.

This Ryuk though, damn. Legitimately terrifying.

he actually slapped himself and said he was dreaming

I mean, I've never even seen the original but that's amateur hour writing

Effect

Because changes are made when adapting anything to a different medium yet alone to a different country with a different culture and sensibilities. Not to mention it has to tell a complete story within a 90 minute to 2 hour film, and not a long form TV series.

This. What ultimately matters here is the spirit of the original story not a 1 to 1 retelling of the events. Doing something original with versions of the characters while staying true to the themes of the original is better then trying to condense the original story or even a part of it into a possible 2 hour film. If one wants the original there to enjoy. The only way I would want a retelling of the original is if they were going to make a series.

CHC

This was kind of cool, actually. Never seen the anime or read the manga, so what do I know? But it wasn't bad.

This. What ultimately matters here is the spirit of the original story not a 1 to 1 retelling of the events. Doing something original with versions of the characters while staying true to the themes of the original is better then trying to condense the original story into a possible 2 hour film.

Also known as Last Airbender syndrome.

Man, Light's first kill in the manga was some crazy fucker who took kids and teachers hostage.

Two dudes bullying someone on his driveway hardly seems death note worthy. jeeeeez lol

Maybe they'll go extra hard on the whole Light being a crazy sociopath route? Like i get when people talk about that stuff, but i never really got THAT much of a feel of it in the anime, and it isnt until discussion on here that i've seen people even talk about Light as a kind of antagonist.

Edit: Then again, last time i saw the show was like maybe 7-8 years ago.

Light's character is so different in this.

Smug handsome genius who's at the head of the class vs a loser punk who's picked on.

Manga Light's second kill is when he writes down the name of the biker as dying in a car crash when the biker is harassing a girl, and then actually feels sick at first because he thought it was too far compared to the hardened murderer he killed first while assuming the Death Note was a prank. Netflix Light decides that a bully should die by decapitation.

Anth0ny

I don't think there is anything wrong with Ryuk giving Light the initial push.

I can see Light taking it too far and then thinking he's doing good. Inevitably becoming Kira.

isn't murdering someone via decapitation for shoving someone around and stealing a school book already taking it too far?

I feel like they've already fucked up one of the main dynamics of the original story, which was "Is Light wrong?" His whole mission was to rid the world of evil, and at first he was only writing down the names of truly vile, evil mother fuckers.

Then of course he starts to lose his mind and goes too far. But anime/manga Light would never kill someone for something so petty.

It's a different take on the story, though, so I guess we'll see. Maybe it's just a test kill and going forward he focuses on super criminals.

They can perfectly do a character similar to Light with a different name. What I'm saying is that if he's is not going to be like Light at all than don't call him that otherwise your just asking for comparisons, I mean they already did it for Misa.

I don't remember Ryukk encouraging Light to do anything, he just wanted to watch what Light was doing. It seems like they're trying to make Ryukk into an evil figure, can't say I'm a fan.
I don't think they're making him evil. They're maybe trying to lean more into him enjoying humans commit chaos. What I think will happen is Light kills his first victim and Ryuk reassures him that he can be the savior he always wanted to be and lets him go on his destructive path.

LotusHD

Banned

Smug handsome genius who's at the head of the class vs a loser punk who's picked on.

Manga Light's second kill is when he writes down the name of the biker as dying in a car crash when the biker is harassing a girl, and then actually feels sick at first because he thought it was too far compared to the hardened murderer he killed first while assuming the Death Note was a prank. Netflix Light decides that a bully should die by decapitation.

Lmao, when you put it like that...

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Different circumstances. In this one it seems this is lights first name written down. In the manga light already had written pages of names by the time he met Ryuk.

Well it's not totally adapted from the Anime.

I mean I'm not expecting much from this. But people need to accept that this is going to be different.

He could also just be sort of a "devil on the shoulder" sort of character, which would be fine. If we aren't showing off the whole society of shinigami in this movie (I doubt they are) then there's not as much point in selling Ryuk as being different from other shinigami. Being tempted by a "devil" probably works better.

Again, this is not going to be a direct adaptation of the manga. We already got that in anime form, and we also got fairly faithful movie adaptations in Japan. This will be a US Death Note, for better or worse.

I have no problem with him giving Light this initial push.

I hope he doesn't keep advising him, so to speak, the entire movie though.
One thing I really liked about the manga/anime was that Light didn't need any external motivation to start killing people, he got access to unlimited power and almost immediately became power crazed. It wasn't the devilish figure that encouraged him to become evil like in so many other works of fiction, in fact it was Light who encouraged Ryukk to help him with his plan. From what we've seen so far, it seems like the movie is missing a lot of what made these characters unique and interesting, although I suppose we can't tell that from just a few clips.

Loudninja

Different take does not give it a free pass on criticisms especially when people used to it being a certain way.

William Dafoe is awesome though.

Then again, Light was clearly a sociopath to start with.

He goes from telling Ryuk about how he was sickened because the biker he killed was "just" a jerk harassing a woman, to immediately showing Ryuk the pages full of names that he's filled in since that happened.

Not sold on Light's actor. But I'm willing to give the movie a chance
He played an insufferable dick pretty well in Palo Alto, no idea if he's the right choice for this though.

Yeah what the fuck, how are we ever supposed to sympathize with a guy who thinks a school bully should be decapitated what

They can perfectly do a character similar to Light with a different name. What I'm saying is that if he is not going to be Light at all than don't call him that your just asking for comparisons I mean they already did it for Misa.

He's an American White boy named Light Turner. It's obvious he's different.

Ryuk pushing Light into it more than in the show is an interesting take

Yeah, I liked how laid back anime Ryuk was. He just wanted to see what mortals do with it.

Then again, Light was clearly a sociopath to start with.

He goes from telling Ryuk about how he being sickened because the biker he killed was "just" a jerk harassing a woman, to immediately showing Ryuk the pages full of names that he's filled in since that happened.
Justice isn't for everyone!

Everything with the exception of Ryuk was awful. Poor acting, Poor Camera, Poor Dialogue.

I'll watch for Dafoe but damn it looks trash

I was getting into it.

I think they can still pull out the same progress as in the books as long as they have Light make his own bed after this first kill. If this is the only time Ryuk encourages him, it should progress as expected.

Decapitation seems like the perfect way to get into it. At that point he seems like he is in disbelief and the reality of the situation hasn't hit him, he isn't sure if he is dreaming. The truth will hit him hard from the start and he'll have already crossed the line with no way back.

BruceCLea

Banned
Really? I've seen both of those movies and I think he's a hack tbh. This doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought, and when it ended I did want to see what happened next, so maybe this time he'll grab.

Really? I think he's one of the most exciting new directors. He makes a lot of odd choices that's for sure but I like his randomness and the undertone of absurdity in all of his films. They really connect. The final phone call in You're Next and the thumbs up in The Guest just really make those movies fun and unique to me.

I guess I have to take this as it's own thing. It doesn't look like we will get the cool dynamic between L and Light with the way they chose to make Light in this version. The whole story feels super Americanized, in a bad way. I think it will still be good though. This version of Ryuk is better, as a character, even if I prefer his overall role in the Anime as a neutral entity. It looks like they are going for the, "Guy gets corrupted by Demon" route, rather than just making Light responsible for everything, as he was in the Anime.

It won't be as interesting, but the concept is still cool, so it will be adequate I think.

MUnited83

For you.
LMAO at him choosing decapitation as his first kill, making the girl witness it as well. Dude sure goes from 0 to 100 pretty fast.

Sou Da

Eh we don't know how this plays out. Ryuk reiterating "dream" makes me think that Light isn't actually taking this seriously.

Top Bottom