• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Person Shooters: Am I just another old man yelling at clouds?

Pizza

I feel like you and I have similar tastes op and I think you'd dig Overwatch

Very much in the same vein of Doom and older arena shooters and TF2 (I hate tf2 tho) and there's super distinct play styles between characters

Choose roadhog 👌

HariKari

Rainbow 6:Siege is really getting me back into shooters after Battlefield burnout. No two rounds are really ever the same, there's tons of strategies, and the interplay between the different characters is great. It's mostly thinking and not shooting skills. Steep learning curve until you understand the basics of each map but then it really starts to click.

I feel like you and I have similar tastes op and I think you'd dig Overwatch

Very much in the same vein of Doom and older arena shooters and TF2 (I hate tf2 tho) and there's super distinct play styles between characters

Choose roadhog ��

It really isn't like older arena shooters.

Might be the reason you like Overwatch and hate TF2.

vocab

Console shooters do not satisfy me at all. They are slow and the lov fov is a huge turn off. Don't worry op, the genre has been stale for a real long time.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Just sounds like modern FPS games aren't for you, which is completely fine.

I would suggest dabbling in genres you haven't played much before: like RPGs and Telltale stuff, could open whole new worlds to you OP :)

Creepy

Well... yes... but I'm the same.

Modern FPS games do nothing for me, they looks so boring and tame.
I pay no attention to them whatsoever.

I love Duke 3D, Doom and Blood though.
We're just grumpy old geezers who like our thing the way it was... and that's fine.

Dr. Worm

Banned
1qAGi5P.jpg

I never liked single player FPS, always found them pretty boring. Last one I played single player for more than an hour was the first Bioshock.

Plays tons of online FPS on console with my buddies though. Been Overwatch for the past year, Gears Ultimate before that.

I tend to like the oldschool Quake inspired mechanics myself. Something I like about Overwatch is the lack of Gears/Halo hide behind something and heal approach. Was nice to get health packs back.

Raw64life

The last multi-player FPS I got into was Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, a free 15 year old game. I still play it to this day in fact. Nothing new appeals to me at all these days.

I'm with you OP. As a kid I loved shooters, as a 30 something I find them a boring slog. I prefer games that require me to think and strategize, like deus ex, prey or even dark souls. I tend to dip my toes in and snag an fps now and then and always find myself just rushing through the campaign to be done with it. Not for us!

Wonko_C

Yeah 6cm 360 is a bit high imo. I went as far as 4.5cm 360, but it teaches you bad habits for long range fights like strafing to aim (which makes you predictable), or under duress makes it more difficult to keep steady. Or as you've experienced, you develop a flick which only really works when your aim is on point.

Maybe double it and try 12cm for a bit, see how that goes? Some CS players use like 45cm/360 so y'know its all personal preference. In your case its causing frustration, so its worth making a change.

I tried 12cm and it felt too slow, right now I'm sticking to 10 and it feels right. It's been so long since I played an FPS more "seriously" on PC after mostly using controllers for so long, but it's all coming back to me now. :)

AudioEppa

It seems like you know exactly which kind of fps games you enjoy, so maybe stop buying and playing the similar ones you probably won't like?

This.

I always hated FPS based on the kind you like OP. I played the demo of DOOM last year and deleted that shit after a few minutes. The first time I actually enjoyed a FPS was COD3 in 07. I became a fan of that franchise since then. I only like some battlefield games.

But yeah, just play the ones you're comfortable with.

Top Bottom