• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First pic of Anne Hathaway as Catwoman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hex

Banned
Lionel Mandrake said:
Back to the hype thread.

Let's go!

aAsOD.gif

MisterHero

B.K. said:
Is anyone else starting to get worried that they're trying to do too much with this movie?
Probably, only if it's because of the villains they chose (IMO both Bane and Catwoman are 2nd or lower tier)

Catwoman's a great character but not so much as a villain

also, based on the set photos, I'm interested in seeing Batman fight in broad daylight

Londa

Banned
SilentProtagonist said:
You want some peanut butter to go with that jelly?
I said it out of anger because they picked a terrible actress. She has never been known to have good acting skills. Plus she doesn't come off as tough or a fem fatel.

overcast said:
Somebody should make a "spoiler-free dark knight rises hype thread". I'm scared to go into the other thread..

You should be scared of it, there is some super spoilerish stuff in there.

3N16MA

Banned
overcast said:
Somebody should make a "spoiler-free dark knight rises hype thread". I'm
scared to go into the other thread..

I bailed on the other thread. Went in and saw spoiler tags all over the place and some starting to complain about how poorly they were being used.

overcast said:
Lol. I can't take somebody seriously if they put Nicholson Joker on top of Ledger. It really isn't close. Nicholson is playing himself, and his performance is downright lame.

I can't take this post seriously either. I prefer Ledger's joker too, but some people are just so quick to shit on Nicholson's GREAT portrayal because of it.

overcast said:
Somebody should make a "spoiler-free dark knight rises hype thread". I'm scared to go into the other thread..
The spoilers are marked in the rises thread with great care. There are some low res shots of Bane in his regular bad guy clothes, but you're probably going to see him (and much more) anyway in a full theatrical trailer.

Dynedom

I'm clutching at straws here but anyway:

Could this be a Catwoman origin story? It's not that much of a stretch, considering this trilogy is all about Batman becoming...Batman. Selina Kyle was confirmed for the movie yes but that's it...Maybe she'll sport cat ears by the end?

Right now, it just looks like Selina Kyle riding Batman's cycle. Calling that the film's "Catwoman" seems premature and purposely misleading. We have no idea where the "scenes" shown above even take place.

I generally have faith in Nolan and will trust in his direction for the film.

still don't like the goggles but I do like that they put her in a full latex suit. Not a fan of hathaway but I will enjoy if they show her from the back through most of it.

Dynedom said:
I'm clutching at straws here but anyway:

Could this be a Catwoman origin story? It's not that much of a stretch, considering this trilogy is all about Batman becoming...Batman. Selina Kyle was confirmed for the movie yes but that's it...Maybe she'll sport cat ears by the end?

Right now, it just looks like Selina Kyle riding Batman's cycle. Calling that the film's "Catwoman" seems premature and purposely misleading. We have no idea where the "scenes" shown above even take place.

I generally have faith in Nolan and will trust in his direction for the film.

They already confirmed she'd be donning cat ears later in the movie. Anyway, it makes no sense for this to be her origin story when this is the end of the Batman trilogy...I doubt she's as intricately tied to Gotham as Harvey Dent was in TDK, in which it made sense to describe his origins leading up to Two Face. She's just a cat burglar who interacts with Batman

overcast

Discotheque said:
I can't take this post seriously either. I prefer Ledger's joker too, but some people are just so quick to shit on Nicholson's GREAT portrayal because of it.
You shouldn't throw the word great so easily.

Solo

effzee said:
Or better yet if he didn't like the movie when he knows majority of people loved it, why bother venturing into the thread for the sequel to begin with?

Because he's not a poster. He's a watchful troll. A vocal minority. A dark blight.

Imm0rt4l

overcast said:
yea there are rumors that have come to fruition in there, the catwoman on the batpod gives even more credibility to a rumor of how the story outline.

Verendus said:
Key sentence.

I don't think many kids would react very well to TDK.

The same Joker who cuts open someone's mouth (something that makes me cringe), shoves a pencil into someone's head and manages to kill the main character's love interest. We won't go into all the other weird stuff he does like the hostage situation and his general freakiness. Add in the general tone of the movie, and it adds to the effect.

Show both versions of the Joker to a 6 year old, and he's going to more scared by Ledger than he is by Jack. One is a maniac, the other is an eccentric clown.

As a grown man, neither of the Jokers are frightening, but I certainly felt Heath's Joker came across as nearly unstoppable, which adds to his aura of danger, and the fact that he accomplished so much made him more memorable.
I disagree. First of all, we don't even see Heath Ledger cut anyone's mouth, and it's an awkward scene because he apparently cuts Gambol's mouth and then... he dies?

Rewatch Batman 89. Nicholson's Joker is eccentric, like the Joker should be, but he is clearly a maniac and ruthless.

[/QUOTE]

RustyNails said:
Nicholson's joker was hammy and plain stupid. His joker was on the opposite end of intimidating; cartoonish. Hooray, lets deface paintings! Lets listen to Prince! Poison gas and shit! Even more ridiculous lines to boost.
Haha. OK.

overcast

Yeah dancing to prince was corny as all hell. Yes, I get it. He's the Joker, but that doesn't transition so well to the screen. It certainly doesn't age well either.

The song doesn't age well but the movie's atmosphere is still unmatched. dat theme, dat gotham.

Tim Burton may be a terrible director this decade but he was on fire in the 90s (as good or better than Nolan, Ed Wood was his Memento!!!). A lot of people here like to retroactively crap on everything though.

Spiderman 3 annoy you? Then the first two must have sucked a lot. Nolan's Batmans are great! Okay I guess no other batman movies existed prior to this. etc. etc.

I think Catwoman and Bane make a bad combination, simply because together they would look like two bondage fetishists. Hopefully they won't be in the same scenes.

Discotheque said:
Tim Burton may be a terrible director this decade but he was on fire in the 90s (as good or better than Nolan, Ed Wood was his Memento!!!). A lot of people here like to retroactively crap on everything though.

I don't think he's been terrible, just inconsistent. Sweeney Todd was amazing, as was Corpse Bride. And then there was Planet of the Apes. He's mainly become awful really recently.

overcast

Discotheque said:
Tim Burton may be a terrible director this decade but he was on fire in the 90s (as good or better than Nolan, Ed Wood was his Memento!!!)
I disagree completely with your Batman statements, but I love 90's Burton. Ed Wood and Edward Scissorhands are great.

Getting off topic here.

overcast said:
Yeah dancing to prince was corny as all hell. Yes, I get it. He's the Joker, but that doesn't transition so well to the screen. It certainly doesn't age well either.
The sound doesn't, but was so great about that Joker is he could be dancing one minute, then talking to a corpse or killing his number-one guy for no reason the next.

The guy was insane. Nicholson is the Joker because he was able to balance the eccentric and silly side of the Joker with the darker side. I don't see how anyone could see his Joker on screen and think "this didn't translate to film well."

Discotheque said:
The mirror scene was amazing. Loved his laugh too. I think all 3 jokers (hamill, ledger and nicholson) had impressive laughs.
True, but I think Hammil's has the biggest variety of laughs. Also, anytime I read a comic with the Joker, I hear Hammil's voice.

overcast

KeeSomething said:
The sound doesn't, but was so great about that Joker is he could be dancing one minute, then talking to a corpse or killing his number-one guy for no reason the next.

The guy was insane. Nicholson is the Joker because he was able to balance the eccentric and silly side of the Joker with the darker side. I don't see how anyone could see his Joker on screen and think "this didn't translate to film well."
Are you kidding? It didn't transition well at all. It comes off as incredibly corny. Ledgers Joker definitely comes off as insane.

Our conversation should have moved to the other thread. So I'll cut this one short.

overcast said:
Are you kidding? It didn't transition well at all. It comes off as incredibly corny. Ledgers Joker definitely comes off as insane.

Our conversation should have moved to the other thread. So I'll cut this one short.
Nicholson's Joker, for me is timeless. Not only does he translate well to film, but he is easily one of the greatest on-screen villains ever. Unless you completely feel asleep during all of B89, you'd understand that the world Tim Burton created is far more surreal than Nolan's. In that world, Nicholson's Joker worked perfectly.

And both Nicholson's and Ledger's Joker's are clearly insane.

Teh Hamburglar said:
SUIT ME UP, UNCLE AULFWED. ITS ME BAWBAWRAH.
WTF?! Hahaha!

overcast

KeeSomething said:
Nicholson's Joker, for me is timeless. Not only does he translate well to film, but he is easily one of the greatest on-screen villains ever. Unless you completely feel asleep during all of B89, you'd understand that the world Tim Burton created is far more surreal than Nolan's. In that world, Nicholson's Joker worked perfectly.

And both Nicholson's and Ledger's Joker's are clearly insane.
He created a "dark" world, but it was way too Burton for Batman. I don't contribute the surrealistic factor to the quality of the movie. When I watch the movie now, I find it difficult not to cringe.

Agree to disagree though.

overcast said:
He created a "dark" world, but it was way too Burton for Batman. I don't contribute the surrealistic factor to the quality of the movie. When I watch the movie now, I find it difficult not to cringe.

Agree to disagree though.
Hey, we all have our own opinions. At least we can all agree that Batman & Robin is the best batfilm. The rest really don't matter.

overcast

KeeSomething said:
Hey, we all have our own opinions. At least we can all agree that Batman & Robin is the best batfilm. The rest really don't matter.
Well yeah, Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze is still the best villain.

Discotheque said:
I wanted Naomi Watts or Rachel Weisz for the role

Naomi Watts would have been my pick. Hell, if they were going to go younger then Emily Blunt would have been better. Hathaway is too young. Cat Woman's character is what she is based off of experience, skill, and beauty.

ThisWreckage said:
Casting someone that is still in their 20's is just as bad. Batman robbing the cradle.

How is a 28 year old "robbing the cradle?" Sure, Bale's 37, but the Bruce Wayne character is suggested to be younger (given his athletic prowess and image of a young, playboy billionaire). I just don't see it as a big deal.

Mr. Serious Business said:
How is a 28 year old "robbing the cradle?" Sure, Bale's 37, but the Bruce Wayne character is suggested to be younger (given his athletic prowess and image of a young, playboy billionaire). I just don't see it as a big deal.

I've always read Cat Woman to be almost the same age as Batman, but maybe a little younger. The comics go out of the way to point out that she is an experienced professional. How many 28 year olds can you say that about? Not many that I know of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom