• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First pics of current PSP2 DevKit [Update: Large Update In OP]

GDGF

Soothsayer
A rear trackpad makes sense for a single screen unit. You don't have your fingers blocking the view.

sweetvar26 said:
Twice the ram of 360? Jesus.

With that in mind, the processor and graphics card will be almost or beyond the 360 specs I am guessing.

We are looking at a $299-$399 launch.
Slow RAM is cheap. 1GB of RAM for 2011/2012 mobile device is about the norm I figure. I expect DDR2 ish speeds/bandwidth for that 1GB of main RAM with much faster embedded buffer around 8MB.

But then again, this is a dev kit, so 1GB of RAM in these dev kits should turn into 512MB of RAM for the actual consumer unit.

As for horsepower, I think you should aim at about half the shader muscle of 360/PS3 for your expectations.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Byakuya769 said:
You don't think the screen itself will be touch, then? That's a valid assumption, but I hope that it isn't true; it just seems very backwards.

The rumours to date are that this is its touch functionality. It seems a little unusual, but it does have its own plusses and minuses, and maybe Sony thinks it's a better tradeoff. An additional touchscreen on the front too would be of course be more versatile still, but there is a cost-benefit question there.

Baconbitz

Banned
offshore said:
Why the fuck are they always blurry shots?
sytpci.gif

Because someone says "Hmm whats the worst camera we can find."

On another note none of this stuff will be important if it is UMDless.

Belfast

Don't get what the big WTF on a back-trackpad is for. It works like any other trackpad, just imagine you're controlling the pointer from behind the screen instead of in front of it, which is it a bit easier to fathom with a handheld device (at least two of your fingers are going to be back there, anyway).

Vinci

Danish
Rabbitwork said:
its great you've arrived at this conclusion with hardly any information.

The mark of genius is being able to extrapolate vast quantities of information from the most minute of glimpses or data. He's just ahead of the curve.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
sweetvar26 said:
Twice the ram of 360? Jesus.

With that in mind, the processor and graphics card will be almost or beyond the 360 specs I am guessing.

We are looking at a $299-$399 launch.
No.

mr_nothin

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
Is there a rule that leaked photos have to be blurry and shitty? Wait until I get to leak something... it's going to be a photoshoot with a fucking DSLR camera :/

I don't see how anyone can discern anything from that pic.
Well...
I'm betting they're trying to be sneaky. Couple that with the fact that they probably dont want to take the picture with a flash so they're using ambient light. The shutter speed will probably have to be below 1/50 (which means any kind of vibration/shaking will probably result in a blurry image). The iso will probably have to be set really high and that means there will be a lot of noise (grain*) introduced. BAM, explanation for blurry leaked pictures.

gcubed

the go design is so much more superior to the original PSP design in looks and functionality. Shit, getting games on a memory card should help battery life, but the leaked HD display and RAM specs probably point to a pretty powerful cpu/gpu combo so... 2 hours battery life?

jiggles

Banned
offshore said:
vg247 just updated the story saying this model is old and Sony switched to a non sliding unit.

Oh what the fuck.

"Let's cram all the controls into a tiny area either side of the screen again, derp".

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
rezuth said:
1GB of RAM? I highly doubt it, I'm setting the limit at 256MB right now.

256 of dedicated fast RAM for gaming. 768 of slow stock LPDDR1 RAM for Android OS. Could make sense.

Belfast

Baconbitz said:
sytpci.gif

Because someone says "Hmm whats the worst camera we can find."

On another note none of this stuff will be important if it is UMDless.

Aaaaaand yes it will. It will be more successful without UMD, which is a dead format. Lack of backwards compatibility has proven to be less of an issue in regards to sales this cycle, so just keep your old PSP around if you care about your UMDs.

I'm happy to ditch it for a Memory Stick or Digital Download option.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Shogmaster said:
Slow RAM is cheap. 1GB of RAM for 2011/2012 mobile device is about the norm I figure. I expect DDR2 ish speeds/bandwidth for that 1GB of main RAM with much faster embedded buffer around 8MB.

But then again, this is a dev kit, so 1GB of RAM in these dev kits should turn into 512MB of RAM for the actual consumer unit.

As for horsepower, I think you should aim at about half the shader muscle of 360/PS3 for your expectations.
I expect considerably lower. Since thats the current situation with high end Smartphones.

Elios83

Really really interesting, as I suspected the track pad seems exactly the same size of the screen, just positioned behind. So it could be used to implement touch screen functionality plus all the other things a track pad is meant for (mouse, analog controls, etc)

Withnail

The pics are blurry because anybody caught taking photos of this thing is going to get fired.

Also, it's clearly an early dev kit. The final hardware will probably look very different.

Binabik15

2 Sticks? I have to get lube.

No, really, playing GoW CoO for the first time in a year made me fell in love with my PSP again. Except for the nubs shitty plastic surface I´m 100% a-okay with the current PSP. 2 better sticks and I´ll buy it at a high price!

Lonely1 said:
I expect considerably lower. Since thats the current situation with high end Smartphones.
A). High end smartphones NOW, not late 2011/2012

B). You didn't bold the most important part. I think the RAM on the retail unit is 512MB since the DevKits usually have double the RAM.

Omikaru

Dual sticks? Rear track pad? CONFIRMED!?!?!

Hype + 1. Seriously, the hardware looks like gunk right now (early model and all, I know) but there's some serious hotness on that device. May be another two handheld generation for me...

Pooya

PS2 compatibility is not happening and it has nothing to do with controls/buttons. If this doesn't have PS2 hardware in it, it's not going to be magically compatible through software emulation, if Sony could make that happen they would have done it on PS3 long time ago, now people expect it to happen on a way weaker mobile CPU?
PS2 hardware won't be in it because of manufacturing cost.

Vinci

Danish
Green Biker Dude said:
ps3 lost ps2 bc but still sold "well". there were other factors like the price dropping and getting games though

Meanwhile the PS3 units that are PS2 BC are the most desirable.

Yeef

The touch pad is most likely multi-touch. They'll probably use it for L2 and R2 if they have PS1 or PS2 emulation. Dual analogs are cool, but none of the stuff that I'm curious about is revealed in these pics (tech specs, game formats, etc.).

Lijik said:
Maybe the PSP2 is blurry. And that is extra scary to me.
Where are all the during photos?

miladesn said:
PS2 compatibility is not happening and it has nothing to do with controls/buttons. If this doesn't have PS2 hardware in it, it's not going to be magically compatible through software emulation, if Sony could make that happen they would have done it on PS3 long time ago, now people expect it to happen on a way weaker mobile CPU?
PS2 hardware won't be in it because of manufacturing cost.
Theoretically they could do an HD Classics sort of thing like they're doing on PS3. In those cases it's nice to have the extra input so that the control schemes don't need to be changed much if at all.

Top Bottom