• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews for MONSTERS UNIVERSITY rolling in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/colum...review-wait-didnt-we-see-all-internship-96186
Falling as it does squarely between the studio’s classics and its decidedly lesser work, “Monsters University” is a solidly average Pixar effort, one that brings some laughs to the kegger, but you’ll be hard-pressed to remember it at the reunion in 10 years.

http://variety.com/2013/film/reviews/film-review-monsters-university-1200494184/
Not even attempting to scale the heights of Pixar past, “Monsters University” finds Disney’s toon studio operating at a pleasantly middling level of artistic achievement. Tracing the friendship of scarer-in-chief Sulley and one-eyed sidekick Mike Wazowski back to its college-rivalry roots, this zippy, colorful, bright-minded prequel scarcely needed to exist, yet makes for perfectly agreeable entertainment now that it does.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/with-monsters-university-has-pixar-lost-its-street-cred?
Once upon a time, in a land that now looks so magical it could have been dreamed up, Pixar carried the virtues of an independent studio that delivered brainy alternatives to simplistic studio-produced animation. Whether exploring the end of humanity in "Wall-E" or the frustrations of the nuclear family in "The Incredibles," Pixar assailed society's mythologies and fears within a pop culture context in a fashion that at times almost felt subversive. By contrast, "Monsters University," the latest Pixar offering, charms in an excessively familiar way that illustrates a troublesome eventuality: Pixar has lost its edge.

As it has devolved into less of a disruptive force, the company got safe. Two years ago, "Cars 2" could have been written off as an anomaly (because "Cars" was a weak Pixar effort anyway), but then came last year's "Brave," an innocuous children's fairy tale that carried plenty of wholesome value in its unconventionally assertive princess but lacked the searing wit and complex subtext associated with most previous efforts.

Well, they say three makes a trend. "Monsters University," a prequel to the supremely imaginative "Monsters Inc.," fills in the background of those characters with a tame, cheery origin story that lacks the original's crackling wit, not to mention its stealthy satire of corporate bureaucracy. Capably directed by Dan Scanlon, "Monsters University" delivers a very basic, factory-certified animated adventure.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/monsters-university/review/564746
It should be remedial school, not an institution of higher learning, for Monsters University, an alarmingly lame effort from Pixar, the Oxbridge of animation studios. A prequel arriving 12 years after its progenitor, Monsters, Inc., this marks the third sub-par film in a row from Pixar, after Cars 2 and Brave, suggesting that the brain trust in Emeryville has lost a bit of its edge. Certainly, this genial and inoffensive G-rated lark about cute characters doing their darndest to become scary monsters will play well enough with its intended audience (most members of which weren't even born when the original came out), but it will register as a notable artistic underachiever with people who expect the best from its maker.

A humdrum straight line of a film, Monsters University never surprises, goes off in unexpected directions or throws you for a loop in the manner of the best Pixar stories. Nor does it come close to elating through the sheer imagination of its conceits and storytelling; Toy Story 3, three years and three Pixar films back, was the last time that happened

It should be noted that all the reviews seem to be praising the Umbrella short that plays beforehand. I guess that's something.

Middling...ugh.

It's not like it was 15 years ago since Pixar was great, either. I loved Wall-E, Ratatouille, Toy Story 3 and Up. They've really lost it with their last few efforts however

Aren't there positive reviews out there as well? It's not like critical reception is overwhelmingly negative which may be the perception taken from the OP.

These are the reviews from the major online film publications that I've checked in order to round up some. The first review at the top is the most positive one I found.

overcast

Looks pretty average. Seems like it will be pretty average. Will have to see myself.

Of course I expect more from Pixar. So this is disappointing. We'll see how these next few original properties fare. If this does indeed turn out not great; it makes my already low expectations for dory plummet.

sant

Meanwhile the only Pixar franchise that needs a sequel doesn't have one...
We want new stuff Pixar, or a fucking sequel to the Incredibles.

Meanwhile the only Pixar franchise that needs a sequel doesn't have one...
We want new stuff Pixar, or a fucking sequel to the Incredibles.

I don't want an Incredibles sequel unless Brad Bird feels the need to make one and it writing/directing it himself. I'd be super fucking pissed if we got an Incredibles sequel sans-Bird.

Doesn't sound awful by any means but Pixar films are really beginning to not come off as events in the same way to me. Although they're still doing well at the box office I suppose, hopefully with their next orignal film they can get back to creating another charming world that retains their charm more than I feel Brave did.

If nothing else, at least they aren't doing Planes :D

qindarka

Banned
The last thing we need is a sequel to The Incredibles. Pixar are risking tarnishing their brand with all these pre/sequels in recent years and yet another one won't do any good. If Bird returns, he can work on something else.

Pixar needs to stop with the sequels etc. I thought they knew making too many sequels or prequels was a bad idea, wasn't that what John Lasseter made Disney stop doing when he was put in charge?

Maybe it was just DTV sequels with lower production values that he objected to, not the principle of making sequels itself.

Lynd7

Pixar needs to stop with the sequels etc. I thought they knew making too many sequels or prequels was a bad idea, wasn't that what John Lasseter made Disney stop doing when he was put in charge?

I heard the reason for these sequels/prequels is Disney trying to get back money they lost on John Carter.
That is absurd. Pixar movies are in development for on average four and a half years. John carter has nothing to with it as logically it makes no sense and Pixar has an enormous amount of control over its output.

Guys, I heard a rumor that Pixar are making a Toy Story prequel because Lasseter has been gambling away Star Wars' college fund. Is that true?

qindarka

Banned
To balance it out some more, here are some more positive reviews:

As far as Pixar films go, it’s the funniest and most engaging since The Incredibles, and the most emotionally affecting since Finding Nemo or possibly even Monsters Inc.*

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/09/monsters-university/

So what is to be the Pixar team's Monsters University grade? It could not be anything other an outright distinction with this particular assignment. This is an achievement that will be tough to match.

A stunningly realized piece of work.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/greg-wetherall/monsters-university_b_3397488.html
Continuing the detachment from childhood theme seen in TOY STORY 3, the creators once again ally themselves to an audience who grew up with talking toys, bugs and monsters who live on the other side of a cupboard door. Nothing short of brilliant, Pixar maintain their genius throughout, upholding their mantle and providing a film for all ages.

http://www.thehollywoodnews.com/2013/06/10/monsters-university-review/

SleazyC

I was in London last week and managed to snag tickets to a screening as well as a Q&A with the Director + Producer.

I'll agree with the reviews that say the movie was average. I enjoyed certain parts of it but it didn't come close to touching how good of a movie Monsters Inc was.

Keikaku

I saw this at a pre-release screening on Saturday night. I enjoyed it quite a lot and I would definitely say it's above average.

Finding Nemo, Monster's Inc. and Toy Story 3 are my favorite Pixar movies and, while this doesn't get anywhere close to those 3, it's definitely deserving of being placed in among their better efforts.

Cipherr

After Brave I am not surprised at all.

I enjoyed Toy Story 3. But man Brave was just.... ugh.. and MU has looked lame to me from the start TBH.

Shame.

TUROK

Dreamworks is the new Pixar.

I have no idea if this could even be construed as being true. I haven't seen a Dreamworks CG film in ages.

AniHawk

up was the cutting off point for pixar. aside from brave they've developed a bad case of sequelitis, and all of their films have been decent at best. and next up is planes and... finding dory.

ugh.

I have no idea if this could even be construed as being true. I haven't seen a Dreamworks CG film in ages.

They aren't.
I wasn't expecting this to be as good as Brave(shut up Brave was good and I cried) or Up or WALL-E, but I guess it's nice that they can put out above average but not masterpiece sequels for fans (some kids get really really obsessed with one pixar property like woah) inter sped with some truly beautiful work.

sappyday

At least their upcoming projects are gonna be something unique but that doesn't mean much considering Brave was a letdown. I want the good Pixar back :/

As soon as I heard of this film I wondered why it even existed.

Pixar needs to take a couple years off, do a ton of drugs, and come back to the drawing board.

qindarka

Banned
up was the cutting off point for pixar. aside from brave they've developed a bad case of sequelitis, and all of their films have been decent at best. and next up is planes and... finding dory.

ugh.

Planes isn't being made by Pixar. Two original films, The Good Dinosaur and The Inside Out, will be released before Finding Dory graces theaters worldwide.

sn00zer

You should really watch
'How to Train your Dragon' is Pixar quality
and 'Rise of Guardians' has a special place in my heart and is the most beautiful CG film I have seen

outside of that though.....

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Pixar dropping the ball :( none of their newer movies have excited me :s

I did like Brave, but I still have absolutely no desire to waste 90-odd minutes of my time with Cars 2. I'll probably watch MU once it hits BD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom