• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First RPG with mid dungeon save point?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
And no, "save anywhere" game don't count. :p

In playing FF3DS and taking on the final dungeon a few times now and it can be quite the haul if you're unprepared and take a quick fall to the final boss. So it got me thinking. When did mid dungeon save points start? I know there has to be something earlier than FFIV, but that's the only thing I can think of right now.

Red Scarlet

FF4 is the first one I can think of, too. Since that was a near-launch SNES title, I'd guess it'd have to be some NES game or earlier.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
ToxicAdam said:
Does Zelda count?
Not really. I'm more thinking "here's a tile on the screen that can save your game at." Plus you always started a resumed Zelda game from the first screen, right?

Red Scarlet

For those that came out before FF4, yeah, when you turned the game on and loaded up a save.

I still can't think of anything prior to it on NES. Most computer rpg's that I played that came out before that enabled you to save almost anywhere.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
what about Ultima? I know I can save everywhere in the game.

bleh just read the OP. nm

Red Scarlet

Error2k4 said:
what about Ultima? I know I can save everywhere in the game.

bleh just read the OP. nm

nelson_ha_ha.jpg

What rpg's came out for the SNES before FF4? Or what are some really obscure NES rpg's?

I'm really doubting that there were save points on computer rpg's at that time/before.

Red Scarlet said:
What rpg's came out for the SNES before FF4? Or what are some really obscure NES rpg's?

I'm really doubting that there were save points on computer rpg's at that time/before.

Edit: yes, PC games tended not to use checkpoints, which at that time were seen as design handicapped by hardware, rather than something to strive for.

Red Scarlet

But were there any that did? I've only really played Ultima and Bard's Tale for pc rpg's (and some random others, but not a lot come to mind), so there's a lot I have no idea about from that time period or before.

Top Bottom