• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Screenshot of Smash Bros. 3DS Single Player Mode

Cool, no cut scenes.

Subspace Emissary never stopped delivering the cringes. brawl is so overbaked

Seriously? The cutscenes were the coolest and only memorable part about the Subspace Emissary. It was the gameplay and awful maze portion that really sucked

Metal B

Really? This is the same guy who put a random trip mechanic in the last game because he didn't want people to play it competitively and you're going with this as the worst explanation you've ever heard? :p
Sakurai never said that. Instead i believe he explained once, that he and his team simply thought, it was a funny gag. At the end it simply wasn't.

There is even a analyse of some user in the OT-Thread, who explained that there is a very very low chance, that tripping actually gets you knocked out. It's more often hinders your offensive and is simply annoying.

Platy

Say what? The screens on 3DS miiverse are 3D?

When you take a screenshot to post on 3DS miiverse, it uses the amount of 3D that you screen has at that moment.

So yes, most 3DS miiverse pictures can be seen in 3D while looking at Miiverse on the 3DS IF THE PERSON WAS PLAYING IN 3D

Jawmuncher

SubSpace was a good idea but poorly executed.
Personally wish they would have tried to refine it rather than just drop it completely.

Zomba13

I loved Subspace Emissary. The story/cutsscenes and boss fights were fun. The levels weren't that great but they were fine.

I didn't think the idea of Subspace Emissary was bad, it just had a terrible story even by fan-servicey standards, and played out like a c-tier Kirby game.

I want.... something. Single player Smash is a sad, lonely experience.

nullset2

I really disliked SSE, except for the glorious final level and boss, which were reminiscent of the best points of Kirby to me. Still, everything else was just bleh, so going back to the Melee style of single player mode is sweet, sweet stuff for me.

culafia

I don't understand why people are so over the moon this shit is gone. "Resources" for Nintendo aren't quite as simple as getting a few RPG character points and deciding to put them into Attack rather than Endurance. They've been working on two versions comfortably under 2 years and plan on pushing this shit out the door in 2014. It's not that they choose to make the game better in other aspects and COULD easily do it -- it's that they're removing content to hit a deadline. The game doesn't get better -- you just lose content. From any other developer, would you ever accept "we're removing a ten hour campaign and not replacing it with anything because the cutscenes would go online"?

FluxWaveZ

From any other developer, would you ever accept "we're removing a ten hour campaign and not replacing it with anything because the cutscenes would go online"?

The difference here is that Super Smash Bros. is predominantly a multiplayer experience and the game will probably have a fair amount of single player modes, even if it's not a long campaign. Still, that justification Sakurai came up with is extremely weak.

culafia

The difference here is that Super Smash Bros. is predominantly a multiplayer experience and the game will probably have a fair amount of single player modes, even if it's not a long campaign. Still, that justification Sakurai came up with is extremely weak.

Yet the console version will still cost more than Brawl did.

Lunar15

I don't understand why people are so over the moon this shit is gone. "Resources" for Nintendo aren't quite as simple as getting a few RPG character points and deciding to put them into Attack rather than Endurance. They've been working on two versions comfortably under 2 years and plan on pushing this shit out the door in 2014. It's not that they choose to make the game better in other aspects and COULD easily do it -- it's that they're removing content to hit a deadline. The game doesn't get better -- you just lose content. From any other developer, would you ever accept "we're removing a ten hour campaign and not replacing it with anything because the cutscenes would go online"?

Titanfall seems to be getting away with it.

Based on the platforms, it's probably an entirely new area made specially for the Smash series. (the combination of techno-looking stuff with organics like trees and whatnot) I think it'd be cool if Sakurai explored a bit of the smash universe. we kind of got that in SSE with the Arena thingie (there's hundreds of thousands of people there. where do they come from?) and maybe we could see the origin of some of the characters....mainly stuff like Master Hand and where the hell the Battlefield comes from. (is it really just floating thousands of miles above the ground? what's up with that?)

Amir0x

Banned
Where are people getting the Rayman obsession from? I played them and I don't see it at all.
edit: I would LOVE Rayman.

i think it's because the background itself is very evocative of the type of color tone and usage of a Rayman game, and even the stylistic way the trees look is semi-evocative of Rayman

I don't know, but the second I saw the shot, I did think "Rayman"

I mean when I look at the shots, I can see the differences, they're not all THAT close, but the first thing that hit my mind was Rayman

FluxWaveZ

It never had a single-player mode to take away. It is designed to be online-only.

You can't say either of those things about Smash Bros.

Sure, though we should probably wait until we know what this single player mode actually is until we criticize them for removing a mode that was in their previous title and asking for more money.

rokero

I seemed to be in the minority but I enjoyed The Subspace Emissary , It was fun watching Nintendo characters interact with each other in the same universe I'm gonna miss that

Melee Adventure is boring as hell. I would take SSE II over Melee Adventure II any day.

Shit, I'd take any form of single player as long as there are just a few cutscenes. The cutscenes were awesome. Please Sakurai, just tell me you're being sly and you actually have a grand single player experience in the works with all the Bamco muscle you have backing this game.

Dice//

Banned
yMOXK2m.jpg

tYLgbww.png

Riveting.

Anyways, cutscenes aside, I hated Subspace Emissary. It was just too damn long. Hopefully this new single player thing is simply "short and sweet".

-Horizon-

What I enjoyed from SSE were the somewhat fun boss fights and cutscenes.

Let's see what Sakurai does here, I'm ok if he changes the single player formula back to the basics.

Lunar15

It never had a single-player mode to take away. It is designed to be online-only.

You can't say either of those things about Smash Bros.

Well, I can, since only one out of three games in the series actually had a "story mode". This game is just going back to the single-player modes of the two games that came before brawl.

I agree that they're removing it due to the rushed schedule though. Just saying it's not as big of a loss as you're making it out to be.

culafia

Well, I can, since only one out of three games in the series actually had a "story mode". This game is just going back to the single-player modes of the two games that came before brawl.

It's the trend you look at, not the history. N64 was good but basic, Melee was really good but still somewhat basic, and SSE was a full story mode with cutscenes. This is straight up cutting that out.

Gamerloid

Nice design. I liked the Subspace Emissary with Co-Op. I hope there's something like that but just not story based. Great fun, and it had cool cutscenes.

Lunar15

It's the trend you look at, not the history. N64 was good but basic, Melee was really good but still somewhat basic, and SSE was a full story mode with cutscenes. This is straight up cutting that out.

At the end of the day, I think we can both agree that this game looks like it's being rushed.

Since it doesn't seem like they've been posted yet, some potentially related media we've already seen:

A VERY brief clip shown in the reveal trailer. Background is different, but it seems like it could also be part of an adventure mode judging by the size of the stage, only a single character being show, and the fact that it seems franchise-neutral.

An as-of-yet unidentified stage screenshot contained within the press kit released at E3. Definitely the same stage as in the gif above, but a more static shot.

Revven

SSE was awful because it didn't take advantage of the actual physics of the multiplayer and was just a poor man's Kirby without copy abilities. It was boring to slog through while the Adventure Mode in Melee is short enough that despite how "barebones" and simple it is, you don't get bored of it -- mostly because all of the "stages" were based on the actual franchises and the physics didn't change between that mode and the multiplayer. Plus, they mixed it up between the normal combat on stages in the MP and platforming-like stages such as Mushroom Kingdom and Mute City that were short but ridiculously cool homages to the franchises (especially Mute City).

Everybody moves slower in SSE, everybody falls even slower in SSE -- I don't know why they thought it was a good idea. It made the platforming non-difficult, the only thing SSE had going for it at that point was the combat. And the combat was awful because the enemies were glorified Kirby enemy wannabes and reacted that way (except for the one or two levels where they actually had Koopa Troops and Goombas). It's fine for the bosses to, you know, not flinch but enemies barely flinching and being able to move the way they were and attack the way they were made combat more frustrating than it was fun.

Just my opinion, anyway. I'm glad SSE is gone, I play Smash for multiplayer. It's no secret SSE was the majority of Brawl's development and why it got delayed so many damn times. No SSE is the reason why this game won't be delayed to infinity and I'm glad for just that alone.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
SSE was awful because it didn't take advantage of the actual physics of the multiplayer and was just a poor man's Kirby without copy abilities. It was boring to slog through while the Adventure Mode in Melee is short enough that despite how "barebones" and simple it is, you don't get bored of it -- mostly because all of the "stages" were based on the actual franchises and the physics didn't change between that mode and the multiplayer. Plus, they mixed it up between the normal combat on stages in the MP and platforming-like stages such as Mushroom Kingdom and Mute City that were short but ridiculously cool homages to the franchises (especially Mute City).

Everybody moves slower in SSE, everybody falls even slower in SSE -- I don't know why they thought it was a good idea. It made the platforming non-difficult, the only thing SSE had going for it at that point was the combat. And the combat was awful because the enemies were glorified Kirby enemy wannabes and reacted that way (except for the one or two levels where they actually had Koopa Troops and Goombas). It's fine for the bosses to, you know, not flinch but enemies barely flinching and being able to move the way they were and attack the way they were made combat more frustrating than it was fun.

Just my opinion, anyway. I'm glad SSE is gone, I play Smash for multiplayer. It's no secret SSE was the majority of Brawl's development and why it got delayed so many damn times. No SSE is the reason why this game won't be delayed to infinity and I'm glad for just that alone.

I agreed with your opinions on everything about SSE, and I'm glad that it's gone. I heard that SSE took like 70 or 80% of production schedule or something but I can't really find article to back that up.

You may be right that SSE is one of few reason why the game got delayed but they HAD to add Sonic to SSE because SEGA decided at last minute that they want Sonic to be in the game. Sonic is only reason why the game got delayed from what I remembered.

People seem to love whining and complaining about Sakurai's reasoning for moving away from Subspace Emissary when hardly anyone seemed to enjoy it anyways. I understand his reasoning, and I don't think it should matter to most of the community since it invariably leads to what everyone wants anyways.

Top Bottom