• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(First?) Shots of Sonic Unleashed

Teknoman

Sega1991 said:
Sega has a tendency of uploading stuff to their PR FTP accidentally like this, actually. I have a large group of early Sonic 2006 screenshots, most of which never were used in magazine coverage/etc. They were accidentally posted on the Sega Public Relations FTP and a few sites posted them up. They were eventually taken down within 24 hours, but I managed to snag them. The screenshots even showcase a lost feature, the game's Day/Night cycle:

sonic2k6daynightcycleji1.gif

It's funny, because they've done this "whoops, we shouldn't have uploaded those there!" thing a number of times. I wonder if it has something to do with how they set file permissions or what? It seems really weird to make this mistake 4-5 times over the course of two years. :lol

Maybe they didnt get to use most of that because MS and Sony rushed em for the holiday season? Thats my guess anyway. Would've been pretty nice too.

Blueblur1

Sciz said:
There should still be videos floating around of Naka demoing that feature.

It is odd how consistently this happens, though. Either Sega has some really incompetent on staff handing their PR materials, or they leak news on purpose to get people talking.
I remember that I downloaded those videos from GameSpot during like e3 2005.

Christopher

Sega1991 said:
Sega has a tendency of uploading stuff to their PR FTP accidentally like this, actually. I have a large group of early Sonic 2006 screenshots, most of which never were used in magazine coverage/etc. They were accidentally posted on the Sega Public Relations FTP and a few sites posted them up. They were eventually taken down within 24 hours, but I managed to snag them. The screenshots even showcase a lost feature, the game's Day/Night cycle:

It's funny, because they've done this "whoops, we shouldn't have uploaded those there!" thing a number of times. I wonder if it has something to do with how they set file permissions or what? It seems really weird to make this mistake 4-5 times over the c10ourse of two years. :lol

and yet there is no day/night cycle at all...what the fuck.

I wish I got to see a completed polish version of that game... :(

Teknoman

Christopher said:

Yeah. When that Secret Rings interview shed light on why Sonic 06 turned out so crappy (MS and Sony rushed the hell out of them for the holiday season)...it made me wonder how the game could've been an amazing game (the soundtrack and graphics were in place for the most part). So Sega still doesnt have full blame for that travesty.

Im knocking out missions in Sonic Rush Adventure right now since I beat the non emerald boss (still need the chaos and sol emeralds), and after noticing how many platforming sections ( Machine Labyrinth Zone) are actually in the game, I hope Sonic Unleashed turns out to be just a bigger, better looking and sounding, Rush game.

The way the bosses were done in the game worked nicely. Imagine those nicely detailed DS battles in HD and with home console power. And the music is growing on me. Sega should just continue to perfect the Sonic Rush style bit by bit, and use that for all Sonic canon games. Canon platforming games handheld and console anyway.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Christopher said:

The phrase no matter how much you polish a turd ... springs to mind.

Teknoman

Nash said:

Might not have been one if they hadnt have been rushed. They took out alot of features and seemed to run through playtesting as well. Lots of things went into it's failure than just "SEGA sucks".

Shinblade

Banned
Sega1991 said:

It's funny, because they've done this "whoops, we shouldn't have uploaded those there!" thing a number of times. I wonder if it has something to do with how they set file permissions or what? It seems really weird to make this mistake 4-5 times over the course of two years. :lol

You do know the purpose of 'pr' is to generate positive press coverage? right....?

Do you really think these are 'mistakes'?

Teknoman

iby.h said:
not sure if this has been said yet, but am I the only one who thinks that earth looks like the Neogaf logo.

That crossed my mind the first time I saw that :lol

Also dont care how much Sega needs the cash...they shouldnt let anyone rush them...no matter what. Doesnt do anything but bite them in the ass reputation wise.

Nash said:

What was that Miyamoto quote?

"An unfinished game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever"? With enough polish any game can good, it just means that sometimes "polish" can be defined as "scrapping entire game design concepts and changing some of the levels drastially".

Ryuuga

Banned
iby.h said:
not sure if this has been said yet, but am I the only one who thinks that earth looks like the Neogaf logo.

Insignificant realization #2

This game was titled in order to silence the whining majority. Especially, after the disaster that Sonic (2006) was. Which is why it's aptly named "Sonic the Hedgehog Unleashed" or StHU

jts

...hate me...
Sega1991 said:
What was that Miyamoto quote?

"An unfinished delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever"? With enough polish any game can good, it just means that sometimes "polish" can be defined as "scrapping entire game design concepts and changing some of the levels drastially".
fix'd

Teknoman

Also Sonic Rush Adventure Sky Condor boss plays similar to when the camera perspective switches behind sonic in the video and he blasts through 3 robots. Doesnt control badly in the least bit either.

Someone ACTUALLY put up posters saying "Do not buy Sonic 360 because Ryan Drummond doesn't do the voice!" ???

It confounds me that there is some sort of sect of Sonic fans who don't seem to care about the gameplay at all, but rather, the "story" and the voice acting. wtf. furries.

Teknoman

Also just for arguement sake:

If the type of 2.5D gameplay we've seen so far is like Sonic Rush, the way we think it is:
(Courtesy of IGN)

Sonic Rush:

8.0 Presentation
Extensive adventure with several gameplay options. The developers push a decent story, but it's time to start giving DS cutscenes better focus instead of the "subtitled talking heads" type.

9.0 Graphics
Fast and furious action that ties both screens as one. Excellent combination of 2D and 3D elements with some really clever visual effects at work.

9.0 Sound
Extremely catchy background music that's very remeniscent of the Jet Grind Radio style. In-game voice work gives the action some charm, too.

9.0 Gameplay
The fastest, most energetic, and coolest 2D Sonic game created. The "unfair" elements of past Sonic games have been remedied with new and welcome gameplay elements. And it's incredibly challenging.

9.0 Lasting Appeal
The two character structure keeps replay high, and the single cart multiplayer races are surprisingly fun.

Outstanding OVERALL

Sonic Rush Adventure:

7.5 Presentation
Fun story with extensive text dialogue cutscenes, and an adventure with tons of tasks to do. It's just a little heavy handed in its requirements.

8.0 Graphics
Same unbelievably fast and smooth side-scrolling engine that pushes all sorts of over-the-top fun. The double-tall boss battles are a bit of a mess, though, with inconsistent framerates.

8.0 Sound
Extremely upbeat soundtrack that fits the whole Sonic universe. Not a whole lot in the way of spoken dialogue, though.

8.0 Gameplay
More of the same great platforming that was in the original Sonic Rush. Boss battles are a little sloppy compared to the rest of the game, and the boat races are a bit of a drag. No pun intended.

8.0 Lasting Appeal
The "adventure" might not be huge, but single cartridge multiplayer as well as Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection beefs up the fun.

Impressive OVERALL

Kinda easy to see why we're all excited and optimistic. I'm just sayin.

Ryuuga said:
Insignificant realization #2

This game was titled in order to silence the whining majority. Especially, after the disaster that Sonic (2006) was. Which is why it's aptly named "Sonic the Hedgehog Unleashed" or StHU

:lol

You know, they have to make Sonic about more than just running really fast and collecting rings. I was a Sonic fan back in the Genesis days and like most people REALLY enjoyed Sonic & Knuckles the most. And going back and playing Sonic as Knuckles with the cartridge. I played Sonic Heroes...Was very average.

Watching the videos of Sonic Unleashed it certainly looks like it's a return to the Genesis days but...Sonic has to be about more than running fast and collecting rings. I'm sorry, but it does.

ToyMachine228 said:
You know, they have to make Sonic about more than just running really fast and collecting rings. I was a Sonic fan back in the Genesis days and like most people REALLY enjoyed Sonic & Knuckles the most. And going back and playing Sonic as Knuckles with the cartridge. I played Sonic Heroes...Was very average.

Watching the videos of Sonic Unleashed it certainly looks like it's a return to the Genesis days but...Sonic has to be about more than running fast and collecting rings. I'm sorry, but it does.
You mean a beta video of a game doesn't look complete?

That's...I...my world is turned upside down now!

Turk

Looks nice.
Levels look to have been rendered with lots of global illumination.

If they stick with 2d gameplay it might actually be good. Both traditional 2d sonic gameplay and special stage 2d gameplay.

It would also be nice if there were some water section like in the old Sonic games with slower movement but lighter gravity and having to find air bubbles.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
bigmakstudios said:
The trailer is up at Gametrailers, and the only platforms listed are 360/PS3.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/32170.html
edit: Also, I'm guessing this means an official press release is coming?

wait was this trailer just released? Or did we see this a few pages back? I haven't been following, but that looks INCREDIBLE! Graphics and gameplay. Seriously I'm so hyped right now. 2.5D for a lot of that it looked like, which is what sonic REALLY needs. Seriously if this works, nintendo needs to take something from this and do a remake of DKC in 2.5D.

BobM

wow... looks good, maybe... ill hold my exitement till i get my hands on the controls....if the could make a next gen lookign sonic with great controls that gave me the vibe of the old sonics i loved i would be soooo happy...

Zeed

Banned
To my great surprise that actually doesn't look too bad. But I'm sure Sega will find a way to fuck it up, as per usual.

Teknoman

msdstc said:
wait was this trailer just released? Or did we see this a few pages back? I haven't been following, but that looks INCREDIBLE! Graphics and gameplay. Seriously I'm so hyped right now. 2.5D for a lot of that it looked like, which is what sonic REALLY needs. Seriously if this works, nintendo needs to take something from this and do a remake of DKC in 2.5D.

This is the Sonic Rush esque trailer we were all flipping out about, and clueless people were going "lolz this gaime iz shiet" before seeing the trailer or anything.

Zeed said:
To my great surprise that actually doesn't look too bad. But I'm sure Sega will find a way to fuck it up, as per usual.

How can they? Its basically Sonic Rush on HD consoles. All they need to do is do the bosses in the same style as Sonic Rush Adventure, and they're good. Throw in kick ass bonus stages in the style of Sonic 2/ Sonic 3d blast saturn version, and Sonic will have returned.

Seriously, if the bonus stage looks like this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AsED4AOAE68&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8oOkQUkYVTo

I'd be estatic.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Teknoman said:
This is the Sonic Rush esque trailer we were all flipping out about, and clueless people were going "lolz this gaime iz shiet" before seeing the trailer or anything.

it looks absolutely incredible... everything about it. The speed, the gameplay... and holy crap the graphics. They look unbelievable. Cannot wait for this one, PLEASE get this right sega.

DuckRacer

Is it just me, or does it seem like Sega's trying to make Sonic a legitimate franchise after this, the Bioware RPG, and Sonic's presence in Brawl?

Teknoman

g23 said:
Sonic's back guys! Check out the trailer!! their going back to his roots!!! Also once again the music is gorgeous

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167059

That'll do g. That'll do.

Duck said:
Is it just me, or does it seem like Sega's trying to make Sonic a legitimate franchise after this, the Bioware RPG, and Sonic's presence in Brawl?

They better. Especially seeing how many people flipped out when that was announced.

Top Bottom