• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First trailer for Netflix's Castlevania animated series

Status
Not open for further replies.
This show is (supposedly) an adaptation of the third NES Castlevania, right?
Yeah, Trevor, Sypha, and Alucard are all here. The only main character missing is Grant but I assume they're still going with the original plan when this was a DTV movie series that he joins in the sequel.

kuYuri

This show is (supposedly) an adaptation of the third NES Castlevania, right?

I was at the AX panel for it and they confirmed it is indeed Castlevania III. They showed a clip during the panel that had
Trevor Belmont and Sypha Belnades
in it.

120v

looking pretty hype. trevor is a bit more modern day "dude" than i expected but not a bad thing per se

that they're starting with castlevania 3 is promising, shows they understand the source material. i honestly expected "guy with whip fights vampires" to be the extent of this 'adaptation'

Blues1990

Yeah, Trevor, Sypha, and Alucard are all here. The only main character missing is Grant but I assume they're still going with the original plan when this was a DTV movie series that he joins in the sequel.

I was at the AX panel for it and they confirmed it is indeed Castlevania III. They showed a clip during the panel that had
Trevor Belmont and Sypha Belnades
in it.

Neat!

Interesting that they picked the third game in the series, as I assumed Dracula X, the original, or Symphony of the Night would've got top billing for an animated adaptation.

Retro

Neat!

Interesting that they picked the third game in the series, as I assumed Dracula X, the original, or Symphony of the Night would've got top billing for an animated adaptation.

It was the first chronologically for a long time though, until Castlevania Legends (1997, staring Trevor's Mother). Igarashi later declared Legends non-canonical and implemented a much earlier start, 2003's Lament of Innocence. And of course, Lords of Shadow played super loose with the series' established chronology so... yeah. Since all of those games are in kind of shaky territory, Dracula's Curse makes as good a place to start as any.

Ahasverus

So are we having the OT in gaming or offtopic? I'm going to resist watching the potato footage
image.php

Now that's a good question.
It was the first chronologically for a long time though, until Castlevania Legends (1997, staring Trevor's Mother). Igarashi later declared Legends non-canonical and implemented a much earlier start, 2003's Lament of Innocence.
More like LAMEnt of Innocence. That was a lame origin story. The cheapest of animes.

Retro

More like LAMEnt of Innocence. That was a lame origin story. The cheapest of animes.

You'll get no argument from me, the only 3-D Castlevania games that come anywhere close to getting it right are the N64 ones. I'd also happily take Sonia Belmont, weak handheld game and all, over Igarashi just making arbitrary decisions for bullshit, largely sexist reasons.

Neat!

A good adaptation of SOTN has a lot of Rondo baggage, as well as a bit of an awkward place to start something within the context of the franchise.

So you could do Rondo->SOTN but thats still a weird transition into Alucard.

3 is just the best starter imo.

Ahasverus

A good adaptation of SOTN has a lot of Rondo baggage, as well as a bit of an awkward place to start something within the context of the franchise.

So you could do Rondo->SOTN but thats still a weird transition into Alucard.

3 is just the best starter imo.
3->1+2->Rondo intro + Sotn -> Bloodlines -> POR -> battle of '99 is the ideal picking of the classic Castlevania canon.

Wow. That looked really good. While the animation was a little framy, the action itself was well choreographed. Can't wait for Friday!

3->1+2->Rondo intro + Sotn -> Bloodlines -> POR -> battle of '99 is the ideal picking of the classic Castlevania canon.
I was thinking for seasons that after adapting 3, then they could go on to an expanded Simon's Quest as Season 2 with 1 just being a cold open of Simon killing Dracula, then SOTN because then you could have non fans actually wonder if Richter is evil without Rondo as context, a fusion of Bloodlines/Ecclesia where Shanoa, Eric, and John team up to fight Barlowe and Elizabeth Bathory, then the 99 War.

Ahasverus

I was thinking for seasons that after adapting 3, then they could go on to an expanded Simon's Quest as Season 2 with 1 just being a cold open of Simon killing Dracula, then SOTN because then you could have non fans actually wonder if Richter is evil without Rondo as context, a fusion of Bloodlines/Ecclesia where Shanoa, Eric, and John team up to fight Barlowe and Elizabeth Bathory, then the 99 War.
You can't have the '99 war without Jonathan purifying the whip.

I wonder if Iga will watch or even be interested in this.

from the bloodstained forum. about the original trailer that was released

Mana Community Manager Official Staff
The trailer looks great! We just watched the trailer in office few minutes ago and we're impressed with it. IGA mentioned it looks promising.

I guess it helps that CV3 is IGA's favorite castlevania

Buckle

That looks so good. Fuck.

I still can't believe this looks great. As a video game fan, you're just automatically conditioned to expect terrible from video game adaptions.

Giolon

I went to the preview for this yesterday at AX and thought it looked pretty decent. They confirmed it's based on Castlevania 3 and that Season 2 is already greenlit for 8 episodes (this one is 4).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom