• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fish moving out of the way is....next gen?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
FxwK9WJ.gif

Apple 2 am next gen confirmed

oh my God

pargonta

well, i'll take this opportunity to say the hummingbirds in bioshock infinite are woeful in this department. the ravens and crows are pretty unresponsive as well.

this specifically is silly though.

Intelligent systems are important, but the use for them are limited.

Take assassins creed for example, thats a game that relies on the AI systems for the crowd generation, and it becomes an integeral part of the gameplay. These systems scaled up can become unique gameplay elements that allow for interesting opportunities. Open world games become more expansive, worlds become more believable, you can create unique puzzles etc.

Take a game like Fable, which mixes a lot of simulation with their action-rpg elements. If MS wasn't already ruining that franchise, there would be a lot of application of this type of ai.

If they are used on purely cosmetic elements, then there's really no point.

RayMaker

Banned
''but on the PS4 version the fish will play chess with you, and give you tips and how to complete a mission, all thanks to GDDDDDDDR5 AND 600 extra flipflops''

OryoN

Just a case of these devs trying to cling to any little thing in attempt to make their game/engine stand out. The vast majority of these games aren't really brining any of the promised "new paradigm in game design" or what ever hype the PR guys sprout. It's just all the same shallow stuff with more particles and higher res textures... oh wait, and the fish move out the way now!

Very few of these future games actually made me think: "Wow, that looks really FUN!"
Fun should be the new 'next-gen!'

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
*sigh* The dog will die during the course of the story. I just have a feeling they're going to go for that cliche emotional punch.

Yeah, I thought the Ghost presentation was pretty lame. Honestly, if you had told me it was on PS3 and Xbox 360, I wouldn't have doubted you. I honestly didn't see much of a difference, with maybe the exception of the forest area.

I also found it really weird that they spent so much time on those character models, that honestly weren't THAT impressive.

sn00zer

Just to be clear the tech they showed was actually really cool, just horribly presented...seems to have a lot of swarm AI stuff going on
bjvREAh.gif

Top Bottom