• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
hurt my back doing deadlifts (i know, right) last week trying to go 2.2x bodyweight on them. ive been aching pretty badly this past week...its not a muscular ache, but like an ache in my lower spine..so im going to take the rest of this week off too to recover. should i invest in a belt, or just kind of reset and work on my dls at a lighter weight.

Get a belt man. I was able to buy a pretty decent one for $30 at a general outdoors store. It's better to heal up a minor injury than to be out of the gym for months due to a bad one.

Bollocks

I started the beachbody insanity workout yesterday, it's insane lol
I reached my limit at the first workout yesterday and that was only the introduction basically and 25m long, today's session is 40m, I peeked into it and there is basically no rest phase, just push push push 40m, I'm so not looking forward to it, oh god what have I done :D

MjFrancis

hurt my back doing deadlifts (i know, right) last week trying to go 2.2x bodyweight on them. ive been aching pretty badly this past week...its not a muscular ache, but like an ache in my lower spine..so im going to take the rest of this week off too to recover. should i invest in a belt, or just kind of reset and work on my dls at a lighter weight.
Rather than fuss about belts or deloading or even suggesting that you check your form or your ego, my vote is that you go to the doctor!

abuC

Down to 246lbs and strength is increasing.

Did chest today, a little more difficult now that I do incline the same day as bench but I feel much better after.

With the weather being the way it is in NY, Im going to sprint today and break out the bicycle tomorrow, then sprint again on Thursday.

Mully

Take a week off from deadlifting and squats. I ran into a similar pain last year and I found that it's best to take a break from those two workouts for atleast 2 weeks.

SeigO

Banned
So I don't really see a ton of nutrition advice in the OP. I've been trying to "bulk" up for awhile and I have a lot of trouble gaining weight. I gained 1 pound in February.... while eating around 3,000-3,200 calories a day.

I'm pretty sure I just need to eat more, but I'm sort of already full from my meals. So I'm wondering what are some clean snacks that I could add in to get more calories or should I make more calorie packed protein shakes? Right now my diet consists of a lot of meat, fish, chicken, eggs, bread and potatoes + protein shakes.

abuC

Groin strain towards the end of my sprints, this sucks, second time this has happened now and I had to stop sprinting for a few weeks before. Im going to do some exercises to help strengthen it, it's just a grade 1 and it seems to happen randomly, the last time I did sprints it was fine but not today.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
So I don't really see a ton of nutrition advice in the OP. I've been trying to "bulk" up for awhile and I have a lot of trouble gaining weight. I gained 1 pound in February.... while eating around 3,000-3,200 calories a day.

I'm pretty sure I just need to eat more, but I'm sort of already full from my meals. So I'm wondering what are some clean snacks that I could add in to get more calories or should I make more calorie packed protein shakes? Right now my diet consists of a lot of meat, fish, chicken, eggs, bread and potatoes + protein shakes.

Nuts are a really easy way to add calories without having to add more to your meals. Just snack on them during the day.

Edit: peanuts don't count

balddemon

Banned

Milk has a lot of calories :D

I just snack on protein bars mostly though. Clif Bars too sometimes. Doesn't fill me up at all but it's extra calories and protein

ezrarh

What are you putting in your protein shake? Right now I'm doing milk/banana/avocado/olive oil/vanilla greek yogurt - and chocolate whey protein of course. It's like candy, a little too much sugar but lots of calories. Peanut butter also works, and raw egg if you're feeling brave.

rage1973

Add one more protein shake with 2 scoops of whey every day.
I hope you are working out along with eating more.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
OK so I did day 2 of StrongLifts yesterday. Didn't make any improvements on my squats, my bench press is no better than it ever has been (started doing that a couple weeks ago) and the bent-over barbell rows are freakin killer but I like them.

I think I could definitely be squatting more if it weren't for how awkward it is holding the bar. I still can't manage it without a pad around the bar, and my shoulders and wrists are uncomfortable, especially my wrists the more I bring my arms closer and I've read closer is better. My shoulders ache a bit afterwards too (not resting the bar on them) Any tips? Is it just something that'll slowly get less uncomfortable the more I do it or does it sound like I'm doing it wrong?

Also, I checked again with the girl at the front about the barbells and how much they weigh and she didn't have a good answer. They all seem like 'official' barbells (heavy with rotating sleeves), but some are longer than others. Is it a safe bet that all the shorter ones are 35lbs and all the longer ones are 45lbs?

Anyways my stats yesterday assuming the bars I'm using are 35lbs:
Squats: 2x5 155lbs, 3x5 165lbs
BP: 5x5 115lbs
Bent over rows: 5x5 115lbs

balddemon

Banned
OK so I did day 2 of StrongLifts yesterday. Didn't make any improvements on my squats, my bench press is no better than it ever has been (started doing that a couple weeks ago) and the bend over barbell rows are freakin killer but I like them.

I think I could definitely be squatting more if it weren't for how awkward it is holding the bar. I still can't manage it without a pad around the bar, and my shoulders and wrists are uncomfortable, especially my wrists the more I bring my arms closer and I've read closer is better. My shoulders ache a bit afterwards too (not resting the bar on them) Any tips? Is it just something that'll slowly get less uncomfortable the more I do it or does it sound like I'm doing it wrong?

Also, I checked again with the girl at the front about the barbells and how much they weigh and she didn't have a good answer. They all seem like 'official' barbells (heavy with rotating sleeves), but some are longer than others. Is it a safe bet that all the shorter ones are 35lbs and all the longer ones are 45lbs?

the bars are probably 45lbs

also, for squats, i find that leaning slightly forward and sticking my ass out while resting thebar on my traps (not spine/neck) works nicely. just make sure you lean forward enough while keeping your back straight and so the weight doesn't roll down your back lol

Is there a scale in the gym? Weigh yourself and then weigh yourself holding the bar.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
You work your way back up.
Is there a specific percentage I should be adding each time? I usually just add 5 lbs, maybe 10 on a bigger lift like squats/deads.

That seems really inefficient.

Eh, I've went from a sticking point to gaining 30 lbs on my bench (theoretical 1RM) in 2-2.5 weeks doing it. Could have just been an idiosyncrasy of my own body though. I figured it out by accident.

MjFrancis

Peanut butter also works, and raw egg if you're feeling brave.
Both of these options are approved by me. I can eat 2,000 calories of peanut butter before I even begin to feel full. And if you're otherwise healthy, I find the risk of consuming raw eggs to be acceptable. You may differ, and if so no worries since there's plenty of other options.

Ashhong

OK so I did day 2 of StrongLifts yesterday. Didn't make any improvements on my squats, my bench press is no better than it ever has been (started doing that a couple weeks ago) and the bent-over barbell rows are freakin killer but I like them.

Why are you starting so high when you are only day 2? I assume you have lifted before, so you started higher, but should you be stalling on the squats on only the second day? Also why are you increasing the weight mid set? Not sure why your wrists are hurting, I feel like I barely use my wrists when squatting.

demon

Why are you starting so high when you are only day 2? I assume you have lifted before, so you started higher, but should you be stalling on the squats on only the second day? Also why are you increasing the weight mid set? Not sure why your wrists are hurting, I feel like I barely use my wrists when squatting.

I'm new to this routine and most barbell exercises but I'm not exactly new to working out. Like I said with the squats, by the end of the set I'm anxious to put the bar back on the rack not because I feel my legs giving out (although I wouldn't want to try much more) but because of how uncomfortable the bar feels. Also I've noticed that my wrists are more comfortable, and I can get them more straight/inline with my forearms, the wider I spread my arms apart. How wide do people go?

Izick

I'm new to this routine and most barbell exercises but I'm not exactly new to working out. Like I said with the squats, by the end of the set I'm anxious to put the bar back on the rack not because I feel my legs giving out (although I wouldn't want to try much more) but because of how uncomfortable the bar feels. Also I've noticed that my wrists are more comfortable, and I can get them more straight/inline with my forearms, the wider I spread my arms apart. How wide do people go?

Does the gym that you go to have one of those cylindrical pads that go around the bar, perchance?

balddemon

Banned

i put my pinkies right where the grip stuff ends. maybe if you're using the shorter 35lb bars, you should try using the longer 45lb bars. might make a difference.

Ashhong

But it sounds like you are new to squats. Did you randomly pick that starting weight that you are doing or are you following the SL guide? You shouldn't be doing 2 sets, then 3 sets at a higher weight if you are following SL. My forearms are usually about vertical, and perpendicular with the bar, with my pinkies resting on the non-grip part of the bar.

Does the gym that you go to have one of those cylindrical pads that go around the bar, perchance?

Is it bad at all to use those pads? I prefer to use it but I suppose I don't HAVE to if it hinders me in some way.

But it sounds like you are new to squats. Did you randomly pick that starting weight that you are doing or are you following the SL guide? You shouldn't be doing 2 sets, then 3 sets at a higher weight if you are following SL. My forearms are usually about vertical, and perpendicular with the bar, with my pinkies resting on the non-grip part of the bar.

Is it bad at all to use those pads? I prefer to use it but I suppose I don't HAVE to if it hinders me in some way.

I've always used the pads, but now that I'm starting to lift 260+ lbs I find they aren't as effective as all the weight compresses them so much they might as well not be there. I got a feeling once you pass a certain weight it doesn't make a difference.

Izick

Good to know. Thought it might be seen as bad, similar to how some of you view gloves.

Well, glove hinder your ability to improve your grip strength, while the pad on your bar doesn't really affect anything, besides your neck and shoulders being a bit more comfortable.

Ashhong

Well, glove hinder your ability to improve your grip strength, while the pad on your bar doesn't really affect anything, besides your neck and shoulders being a bit more comfortable.

Maybe the pad prevents the bar from being balanced properly or something iduno haha. Nevermind!

thomaser

You probably have bad mobility in your shoulders. This can make it very uncomfortable to get your upper body in a good position. Just search youtube for shoulder mobility exercises and start doing them when you warm up. Most of them are very easy to do, and totally pain free.

demon

You probably have bad mobility in your shoulders. This can make it very uncomfortable to get your upper body in a good position. Just search youtube for shoulder mobility exercises and start doing them when you warm up. Most of them are very easy to do, and totally pain free.

Yeah I was thinking this, actually. I just saw a video yesterday for "shoulder dislocations". Would that be a good one to do?

Yeah I was thinking this, actually. I just saw a video yesterday for "shoulder dislocations". Would that be a good one to do?

Those are great for that.

If the barbell hurts you when you squat you are positioning it wrong or need to work your back out to put some muscle there.

Draft

Maybe the pad prevents the bar from being balanced properly or something iduno haha. Nevermind!
That's exactly what happens and why pads should not be used. It's no big deal when there's a couple plates on the bar but once things get heavy having a squishy piece of foam between the bar and your back is not good.

5/3/1 week! Got 370x5 on squat--'twas tough.

I've been adding 10 pounds to my max that my cycles are calculated off of, if I get 5 reps or more on my 5/3/1 week. This was definitely tough--MAYBE could have gotten more. Not sure if I'll bump it up 5 or 10 next cycle.

I've been adding 10 pounds to my max that my cycles are calculated off of, if I get 5 reps or more on my 5/3/1 week. This was definitely tough--MAYBE could have gotten more. Not sure if I'll bump it up 5 or 10 next cycle.

Move North of Vag... bump it up 10!

(Seriously though, when you get to the point when you're only able to squeeze out 1 or 2 reps, then drop down to 5lbs increments)

You're not doing Stronglifts at all. Did you get the free pdf? The Starting Strength DVD has lots of great instruction on how to do all of these lifts properly. The whole point of doing it with just the bar (or light weight) is to learn the form. You're doing exactly what he says NOT to do here.

I'm on Week 3, btw. Loving it so far. I feel like I'm learning a lot with the low weight. I had injured my back a year ago doing deadlifts incorrectly. This is giving me the chance to learn how to do them right.

ezrarh

Good work! How many cycles have you gone now since you started (or the last reset)?

Petrie

Banned
You're not doing Stronglifts at all. Did you get the free pdf? The Starting Strength DVD has lots of great instruction on how to do all of these lifts properly. The whole point of doing it with just the bar (or light weight) is to learn the form. You're doing exactly what he says NOT to do here.
For some reason people who have curled a bit in the gym or whatever always think they are the exception to the rules, that using light weight to learn is somehow beneath them. Its pure idiocy.

For some reason people who have curled a bit in the gym or whatever always think they are the exception to the rules, that using light weight to learn is somehow beneath them. Its pure idiocy.
Right. Although, the bench press is so low that I feel like I'm wasting time. It's the only exercise that makes me feel that way. I did 60 tonight, and I felt like I could have done all 25 in one set. Should I jump that up 10?

Mully

So I might have Mono which would explain my difficulty with my workouts, increased fatigue, and stomach pains.

Anyone else ever workout with Mono?

demon

I'm on Week 3, btw. Loving it so far. I feel like I'm learning a lot with the low weight. I had injured my back a year ago doing deadlifts incorrectly. This is giving me the chance to learn how to do them right.

I don't recall saying I had a problem with the form, or the weight. Or that I'm new to working out. It's the discomfort in my wrists and shoulders that I have a problem with during squats.

Seeing as how I've only done a bit of curling in my past, this post applies to me.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I don't recall saying I had a problem with the form, or the weight. Or that I'm new to working out. It's the discomfort in my wrists and shoulders that I have a problem with during squats.

Have you tried front squats?

It's the discomfort in my wrists and shoulders that I have a problem with during squats.

When learning new exercises, one can often feel discomfort. The most important thing you can do in training is learn the difference between discomfort and pain which is warning of injury.

For example, right now I am learning the false grip for muscle-ups which at the moment hurts my wrists. I have discerned the difference in feeling between pain and discomfort and realise my awkwardness with the false grip is discomfort rather pain. This requires pushing through the mental barrier and keep practicing, and eventually the movement will no longer hurt.

If it is just discomfort Demon, push through it. It will hinder you for a while but soon you will acclimatise.

Petrie

Banned

Seeing as how I've only done a bit of curling in my past, this post applies to me.
And its very possible that discomfort is related to form.

Ashhong

Right. Although, the bench press is so low that I feel like I'm wasting time. It's the only exercise that makes me feel that way. I did 60 tonight, and I felt like I could have done all 25 in one set. Should I jump that up 10?

I have the same feeling. Currently at week 5 I think, and barely up to 75lbs on bench. Feels like I'm wasting my time with it. Decided to just stick with it though, and just count bench days as an easier day and do a lot of extra dips and other isolations.

Are you sure its not improper form causing the discomfort? I still don't get why you are changing the weights between sets.

Mr.City

Then add more weight to the bar.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I PR'ed in all my lifts again today. Even did 20lbs more in squats than I did 2 days ago. Couldn't do deadlifts though because I have this weird lower back/hip pain. It's really hard to bend over. I didn't get the pain from lifting, I got it from sleeping like 11 hours the other day, then laying in bed for like 5 hours entranced watching Dragonball Z. My body hurts cause I was lazy!

It doesn't feel like anything major (I've had this pain before even before I started to go to the gym and it usually goes away after a few days), it feels like I could just do a stretch to get rid of it, but i'm not sure what stretches to do. The pain isn't there unless I bend forward or to the side, and it hurts where the spine meets the hips, about where the elastic band to your underwear is.

The feeling I have is that maybe hanging and relaxing my hips could help, but I don't have anything to hang from at my house that would support my weight. In any case, it should go away in a few days regardless, but I'm wondering if anyone else knows what I'm talking about with this pain in this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom