• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjohn

I would like some food advice from you guys.
Is eating spicy pork ribs ok for my meat requirement? As compared to beef or even chicken.

bro1

Banned
So wait the workout calls for 63 reps of overhead press at 95lbs? and 63 reps of pullups? OOoooooo kay. I imagine the form breakdown on the overhead press is rather severe. Are we talking about a strick press or push press? Either way that's a lot of volume.

Edit: wait did you decide to reduce the reps on rounds 2 and 3 yourself or does the program call for that?

I'm very strict on it. The pullups are done a bit fast, but I'm not kipping.

For the overhead press, it's not that bad at that weight. And yes, the program calls for 21 reps on the first round, 15 on the second, and 9 on the third.

If you watch some of the videos on youtube, people do tend to throw form out the window on the third round, but I've been injured in the past and keep it strict. I would rather have a higher time and remain injury free.

JB1981

I'm very strict on it. The pullups are done a bit fast, but I'm not kipping.

For the overhead press, it's not that bad at that weight. And yes, the program calls for 21 reps on the first round, 15 on the second, and 9 on the third.

If you watch some of the videos on youtube, people do tend to throw form out the window on the third round, but I've been injured in the past and keep it strict. I would rather have a higher time and remain injury free.

Ahh OK that is more manageable. 21 reps at 95 is tough as hell. You must be pretty strong. Doesn't sound like too bad a WOD but the press followed by the pullups sounds like it would be murder on your shoulders. So are you completing all the reps without pausing? I can't even complete 21 pullups fresh....

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
21-15-9 routines are FML asskickers. It'll definitely test you at your limits and it will really determine how good your form is.

EDIT: I should clarify that you can put the weight down at any time. You just don't move onto the next round until your reps are complete. So if you want, you can do 6-5-5-5 on your first round with breaks inbetween obviously. Chances are you'll have to do it anyway.

bro1

Banned
21-15-9 routines are FML asskickers. It'll definitely test you at your limits and it will really determine how good your form is.

EDIT: I should clarify that you can put the weight down at any time. You just don't move onto the next round until your reps are complete. So if you want, you can do 6-5-5-5 on your first round with breaks inbetween obviously. Chances are you'll have to do it anyway.

On my first round, I was able to do 16 shoulder presses, took a breather, and did the remaining 5. Then, I did the 50 squats, and then moved into the pullup. Did 12, took a breather, and then did 9 more.

Second round was brutal on the squats. Really huffing there but got through it.

On the third round, the overhead press was fine, but almost fainted on the squats. 9 pullups were done in 3 sets of 3.

I wasn't keeping time, but did it in less than 10 minutes for sure. No rest inbetween rounds, just sipped a bit of water and kept on going. My wife thought I was having a heart attack when I was all done.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
What's everybody's opinion on crossfit? I sit next to a CF coach in class and she's been talking about it nonstop, almost has me convinced. I'd try to find a good CF gym though, I've heard some horror stories.

I think it's great if you get a great gym and trainers. I was telling my Army buddies I think the Army should look into CF to replace traditional training much like they replaced the old style Army Combatives to MMA/BJJ.

It's good for overall fitness. It's definitely not my thing though.

abuC

I think it's great if you get a great gym and trainers. I was telling my Army buddies I think the Army should look into CF to replace traditional training much like they replaced the old style Army Combatives to MMA/BJJ.

It's good for overall fitness. It's definitely not my thing though.

I was going to give it a try, until I found out how much the cross fit gyms charged.

kylej

Banned
Crossfit always seemed like crazy superfluous shit for affluent white people who think regular tried and true training just isn't good enough.

Veezy

que?
What's everybody's opinion on crossfit? I sit next to a CF coach in class and she's been talking about it nonstop, almost has me convinced. I'd try to find a good CF gym though, I've heard some horror stories.
Let me preface this by saying us haters lost to Crossfit. They made millions from selling certs, affiliate licenses, merchandising, and most recently their associate with Reebok.

If you need to add some diverse circuit training to your strength and conditioning, there are some pretty solid Crossfit WODs that will kick your ass. Most of the main site stuff, though, is unnecessarily burtal and the "founder" of he program, Greg Glassmen, is a pretty shifty individual. In addition, up until last year I believe, you could get certified by sitting through a two day class. No testing on material and no requirements other than ponying up a grand. This, plus an additional two grand, allowed you to be a Crossfit affiliate.

In addition, Greg Everett, Mark Rippetoe, and Robb Wolf were all treated like shit due to their, well, ya know, calling the higher ups out on the fact that the programing was garbage and the good coach to shit coach ratio was really skewed. Quite honestly, if your programming is random, it's not programming. It's randomly working out and there's no real way to calculate progress. Finally, there are several CF WODs that are really only designed to make you better at CF, not overall fitness. I mean, the overhead kettlebell swing being pushed as a good movement, for high reps, isn't really benefiting anything.

Overall, a basic strength and conditioning program will get you fitter and is safer than doing the three day on one day off Crossfit programming on the main site. Also, there's this:

8xp1J.jpg

(the baby's real, the ball is not)
and this

g4jU9.jpg

and this

ypM1l.jpg

and, finally, this

QkS9E.jpg

My favorite article about crossfit is here and my favorite quote from said article is:

So CrossFitters, wake up. If you’ve been CrossFitting for more than 6 months, it’s time to move on. You’ve had your warm up, now move into the world of elite competition. Don’t be fooled into thinking that CrossFit will take you anywhere except under the knife when you destroy your shoulders from performing 20 clean-and-jerks with poor form—Olympic lifts are designed to be performed for one repetition after a solid set up at the bar. The CrossFit establishment is not operating in your best interest as an athlete, hell, they don’t even think of you as an athlete, just a graduated couch potato with some vague and meaningless asset called elite fitness. If you were a real athlete, they’d make fun of you and say how unfit you are as they do jumping pull-ups for 30 grueling reps (I guess kipplings got too hard and heaven forbid you see a CrossFitter ever perform a hanging pull-up).

Sorry for the rant. There are some great people, and amazing coaches, in the CF community. Unfortunately, there's also a lot of Kool-Aid drinkers and really unqualified individuals. Be wary of who you dish out your couple hundred a month to.

Petrie

Banned
Interesting question. It was recommended here that i grab a pullup bar and do chins/pullups throughout my day to improve, and i can definitely do more overall, but im finding that on the day they are part of the beginner workout, i cant do as many as i could before because im just still tired and recovering from the constant stream. Should i continue, or perhaps skip them at home the few days before that workout? Thoughts?

Veezy

que?
Holy fucking shit :lol

:lol cos it's a photoshop. Right? What's up with the tennis ball?

The baby's real. The photoshop of the ball is to show how elite he is.

Google "baby strapped to chest crossfit" to see a non photoshoped one. It was posted on the main site sometime in 2011.

Interesting question. It was recommended here that i grab a pullup bar and do chins/pullups throughout my day to improve, and i can definitely do more overall, but im finding that on the day they are part of the beginner workout, i cant do as many as i could before because im just still tired and recovering from the constant stream. Should i continue, or perhaps skip them at home the few days before that workout? Thoughts?

How many are you doing through the day on your actual training day? You may want to take a 24 hour break on the chins/pulls so you can hit them hard when you're at the gym.

Enco

The baby's real. The photoshop of the ball is to show how elite he is.

Google "baby strapped to chest crossfit" to see a non photoshoped one. It was posted on the main site sometime in 2011.

How many are you doing through the day on your actual training day? You may want to take a 24 hour break on the chins/pulls so you can hit them hard when you're at the gym.
I refuse to believe people are that stupid :(

mr stroke

I've been doing a psuedo-SS/Crossfit workout recently and have been looking at the CF Workout of the Day (WOD). Is that all you are supposed to do on that day or are you supposed to do additional strength and endurance work after or before the WOD?

Generally its a warm up, strength training, WOD, then abs or stability work

example of Crossfit in my neighborhood-

Technical- 5 x 2 Front Squats

For Time- Five Rounds of:7 Push Press (185/115)
14 Toes To Bar
21 Double Unders

Stabilization- 50 Pistol Squats

and LOL at the Baby squat pics, has to be a photoshop or a really shitty Crossfit. Take those photos with a grain of salt, just like all gyms, not all Crossfits are equal. There are shitty trainers and managers everywhere.

Petrie

Banned
I do 5-7 a set on training day, because im not fresh. If i dont do them for a few days, i can crank out 8-11 per set.

Veezy

que?
Little big, but here's the unphotoshopped version:

x20JN.jpg

Here's one getting that row on!!!

v1JlW.jpg

Finally, in utero!

ToIbt.jpg

Look, real talk, there are some really great Crossfit gyms out there. The issue is:

1. Most are incredibly expensive
2. They cater to a crowd of "I don't know about fitness" peoples. So, you don't know going in that you're getting injured every time you set foot in the gym.

If you're smart about working out you can do CF on your own at a globo gym for cheeper. If you really want to do CF, check out your trainers background and ask yourself:

"Is he queueing elbows up on the front squat." If not, run.

zEVCc.jpg

I do 5-7 a set on training day, because im not fresh. If i dont do them for a few days, i can crank out 8-11 per set.

You may want to get fresh, do your high reps, and spend the next day doing the in-between chins. The high volume on the work out day is going to benefit you more than the small pulls during your off days or while you're not working out. Or, go for more sets during your work out days you can get the same volume. Either way, you'll benefit.l

jacobs34

Anyone here use ON's Creatine Powder, I'm a big fan of their Protein Powder and I am looking for a better creatine than the suger-filled Body Fortress stuff they sell at WalMart

Veezy

que?
That's probably a kipping front squat so of course the form is going to be off.

20% slop factor is encouraged per their level one certification class. This is not sarcasm.

Anyone here use ON's Creatine Powder, I'm a big fan of their Protein Powder and I am looking for a better creatine than the suger-filled Body Fortress stuff they sell at WalMart

I use it. Works just fine, for me.

abuC

$200 a month for a gym is absurd.

The place I was looking at is $120 a month and you can only have 2 classes a week on that plan, $175 for the unlimited plan.

They have a drop in rate that's $20 for a class, but even that's too much. Lost their damn minds!

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
One gym does it obviously means that all gyms do it. Way to make a blanket statement there, guy.

MjFrancis

example of Crossfit in my neighborhood-

Technical- 5 x 2 Front Squats

For Time- Five Rounds of:7 Push Press (185/115)
14 Toes To Bar
21 Double Unders

Stabilization- 50 Pistol Squats

I don't understand the underlined.

Actually I don't even know what "7 Push press 185/115" is supposed to mean, either. Am I suppose to do 7 push presses for 185lbs or 115lbs or something?

And 50 pistol squats? What set or rep scheme? To what end? For everyone regardless of skill level?

It's like they are speaking a completely different language than I do.

mr stroke

Actually I don't even know what "7 Push press 185/115" is supposed to mean, either. Am I suppose to do 7 push presses for 185lbs or 115lbs or something?

And 50 pistol squats? What set or rep scheme? To what end? For everyone regardless of skill level?

7 push press would mean 185 for men, 115 for women. Everything is scaled so if you can't do that much weight then you would drop down to a comfortable weight.

50 pistol squats would be at your own pace. If your a beginner then it would be scaled down to less reps.

X-Frame

Anybody see the drama where a guest author on Eric Cressey's blog basically ripped of LeanGains, and then Martin posted a bunch of updates on Facebook raging about it? :)

Truth About Meal Frequency - Is IF for you? - Eric Cressey's Blog by Tyler Simmons

Martin's Facebook

I've seen this a lot lately in my Google Reader feeds.

There's TONS of articles on IF all of a sudden. I really, really don't understand why Martin hasn't released a book yet leaving all these trainers to release article after article and their own books on IF.

MjFrancis

Reading the comments on Cressey's Blog that's the first I've heard of Ferruggia’s Renegade Diet. Holy shit has the 16/8 fast/feed IF protocol caught on.

Could you repost any of Martin's stuff on his Facebook? I don't see anything there (sent him a friend request, his stuff was full).

7 push press would mean 185 for men, 115 for women. Everything is scaled so if you can't do that much weight then you would drop down to a comfortable weight.

50 pistol squats would be at your own pace. If your a beginner then it would be scaled down to less reps.
Groovy. It's still a culture that's almost foreign to me, despite being what many might refer to as a gym rat.

Petrie

Banned
I hate hearing about all these diet protocols like IF that i literally can never try out. Makes me feel like ill always be working with a handicap.

X-Frame

Reading the comments on Cressey's Blog that's the first I've heard of Ferruggia’s Renegade Diet. Holy shit has the 16/8 fast/feed IF protocol caught on.

Could you repost any of Martin's stuff on his Facebook? I don't see anything there (sent him a friend request, his stuff was full).

Sure.

Q: How do you rip off my meal frequency material AND my diet, without a single mention or link back to the source, and keep a straight face?

Find the answer on Eric Cressey's blog. Should not need to argue my case. Just one of many recent examples, albeit the most obvious one yet.

RT @Gaijin_Shogun Posted a comment on his recent IF article about giving you credit... Which was immediately deleted http://bit.ly/Hi9yvp

Veezy

que?

14 toe to bars - dead hang from a pull up bar and (how it's supposed to be done) keep your legs straight and raise your toes to the bar. (now, factor in that 20% slop, you get this odd flailing that totally destroys the point of the movement)

21 double unders - it's jump rope, but two revolutions under your body per jump.

Unfortunately, it's not really a good circuit. Toe to bars are an abdominal movement you can't really do quickly without swinging and double unders are aren't really a good endurance movement. I'd say, for a strong person a beter scheme would be..

At 135# (scale for skill/strength)
Five rounds for time

7 deads
7 hang cleans
7 front squats
7 push presses
7 back squats

It's enough reps (35) that you'll feel it at the end, light enough for a person with a year or so under their belt can reasonably do, will take the wind out of you regardless of your fitness level, is short enough to not kill a novice even if the go light, and laid out in a way that discourages resting. When you do the toe to bars or double unders, walking from one station to the other adds time and encourages a break. Then again, this is just a stereotypical barbell circuit that's been used for decades.

@relio - I'm not saying all CF gyms are shitty. I've met some great people through crossfit, and part of my desire to become a PT was due to CF years ago. I still enjoy busting out fran every once and a while. I will say, that a big chunk of 3400+ affiliates across the world are full of coaches that don't have the experience, with their own personal fitness, to train a single person one on one, much less a group and catch all the mistakes that go on. There's a reason they made that risk retention insurance group, a significant number of affiliates couldn't get covered for crossfit related injuries (rhabo, for example). People just need to be careful.

@abuC - If you're confident in your own form, crossfit football is actually a very good resource. None of the crazy WODs from the main site, and it has a bigger focus on power and strength while incorporating smartly designed endurance work. If you want an even simpler version, this was designed by Justin Lascek of 70s big fame and co author of "Fit". What I love about it is you can track your strength work and make recordable gains while doing some endurance training. Best of both worlds and a great program if somebody wants to do LP with endurance work but wants to spend more days in the gym a Grayskull LP endurance set up would make them.

abuC

Oh poptarts, why are you so delicious?!

I like the Smores version of poptarts, haven't had one in years though.

Since you brought up sweets, I have to fight every fiber of my being to stop myself from going to Levain Bakery and getting one of these -

http://theeatenpath.com/wordpress/w...evain_bakery_walnut_chocolate_chip_cookie.jpg

I was eating like 3 or 4 a week over the summer, couldn't control myself and they are $4 with 800-900 calories a pop.

Edit: Veezy, thanks I'll check out the site.

jts

...hate me...
Guys, please don't give me shit about this, as I'm switching over my program at the gym for a number of reasons (mainly I want to go back to a Mon/Wed/Fri full body and incorporate a couple of compound exercises) and I can't get a profissional on this atm.

This is what I did Monday:

Barbell Bench Press
Dumbbell Incline Bench Press
Lat pulldown
Leg Press (I should mention again I don't have access to a squat rack or cage)
Deadlifts

2 sets of 10 reps and then a final set of 8 reps for every exercise.

Anyway, tomorrow (Wednesday) this is what I'm thinking:

Bicep, tricep and shoulder work
Barbell Bench press
Leg press
Calf raises

??
My main doubts here are about doing barbell bench press again instead of keeping that as a Monday and Friday exercise (like I'll do for deadlifts). Or the lat pulldown. I want to get better at that so I can replace it with pull-ups ASAP, so I don't know if I should do it 2 or 3 times a week. Overall I'm a bit lost here.

Ashhong

You eat for 8 hours. If you eat starting at noon you don't consume anything after 8.

so basically stay full for those 8 hours, then dont eat anything after. not even like a glass of milk?

actually, that's not so bad. It's almost what I do anyway. Usually don't eat breakfast, eat lunch around 1, dinner at 6-7, gym at 8, protein shake after that. Just gotta squeeze it in a bit more. Sounds doable.

abuC

so basically stay full for those 8 hours, then dont eat anything after. not even like a glass of milk?

actually, that's not so bad. It's almost what I do anyway. Usually don't eat breakfast, eat lunch around 1, dinner at 6-7, gym at 8, protein shake after that. Just gotta squeeze it in a bit more. Sounds doable.

Eat dinner after the gym, and take the protein shake before.

Working out on an empty stomach is the driving force.

Ashhong

Almost 0 calories. You can have coffee with a splash of milk he says and some sugar free gum.

hmm is that something I should give a shot? I am still building my strength as you know, and a beginner to SL. So I am definitely not at the cutting phase or anything. But I have fat all over and could be more lean. Should I wait will I have more muscle?

Eat dinner after the gym, and take the protein shake before.

Working out on an empty stomach is the driving force.

The driving force of IF? I always read the protein shake should be taken after. Should I take it like an hour before if I should have an empty stomach? I usually make it pretty heavy with bananas, oats, peanut butter, etc.

I have a stockpile of the holiday only gingerbread ones hiding in my cupboard. Gingerbread is so goddamn delicious. Rarely touch them though.

Never heard of gingerbread before. That sounds interesting.

I like the Smores version of poptarts, haven't had one in years though.

I haven't had a poptart in years either but after I went grocery shopping, I had to get some. They will be a part of my PWO meal lol.

dem carbs.

abuC

The driving force of IF? I always read the protein shake should be taken after. Should I take it like an hour before if I should have an empty stomach? I usually make it pretty heavy with bananas, oats, peanut butter, etc.

I did IF before, and I was told to eat my first/biggest meal after the gym, and the meals should get smaller the closer you get to the feeding period ending. I'm currently not doing IF, but I still go to the gym on an empty stomach because of it. Also, with IF you're supposed to take a BCAA before the gym, but I never did that, just went with whey protein.

FallingEdge, you're going to force my hand and make me get some smores tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom