• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFatOne

Can anyone recommend me some good cheap protein powder. Every time I need to buy protein powder it seems like the prices go up. I bought a 5 lb twinlab one for 35$, and now it's like 47$ on amazon. Might as well buy On at that price.

Petrie

Banned
Can anyone recommend me some good cheap protein powder. Every time I need to buy protein powder it seems like the prices go up. I bought a 5 lb twinlab one for 35$, and now it's like 47$ on amazon. Might as well buy On at that price.
Its just going to keep going up as more companies compete for the Whey supply. Gatorade wants it, Monster makes a protein energy drink now, tons of companies competing to buy a limited supply. Your best bet is to wait for a good deal online like the $25 tub a few months back from GNC and stock up on a bunch of tubs, or hit the walmart brand I guess.

trilobyte

Try upping your calories a bit for a few days by 200 and then after about a week, try cutting your calories by 400. Sometimes a shock to the body helps.

Also, you may want to increase the exercise to something more vigerous. Try jogging, some weight training, that sort of thing. Or keep on doing what you or doing and take up a sport. If weight loss is your goal, and not gaining strength or running long distance, this should help.

Upping calories? Does that really work? Seems counter-intuitive, but then again I've been at a plateau for 3 weeks now so I'll try anything...

Maybe I should do some weights... I noticed that the walking is getting easier day by day, especially the uphill climbs. Could it be I'm gaining muscle mass? Surely it's not enough muscle to warrant a plateau??

TheFatOne

Its just going to keep going up as more companies compete for the Whey supply. Gatorade wants it, Monster makes a protein energy drink now, tons of companies competing to buy a limited supply. Your best bet is to wait for a good deal online like the $25 tub a few months back from GNC and stock up on a bunch of tubs, or hit the walmart brand I guess.

I figured it might be something like this. I think I'm just going to buy the 10lb bag of ON, and then when I see deals I will stock up.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Upping calories? Does that really work? Seems counter-intuitive, but then again I've been at a plateau for 3 weeks now so I'll try anything...

Maybe I should do some weights... I noticed that the walking is getting easier day by day, especially the uphill climbs. Could it be I'm gaining muscle mass? Surely it's not enough muscle to warrant a plateau??

I think (could be wrong) he's saying your body might have gone into a so called "starvation mode" where your metabolism drops significantly.

If you're eating less calories than your body burns you will lose weight. Always. So either you started eating more calories, or your metabolism dropped somehow. Orrrr maybe you lost a lot of water weight or were dehydrated when you took weight measurements, and even though you have lost some fat, it doesn't look like it on the scale because you're more hydrated now. Bodyweight can fluctuate a lot depending on hydration.

Petrie

Banned
I think (could be wrong) he's saying your body might have gone into a so called "starvation mode" where your metabolism drops significantly.

If you're eating less calories than your body burns you will lose weight. Always. So either you started eating more calories, or your metabolism dropped somehow. Orrrr maybe you lost a lot of water weight or were dehydrated when you took weight measurements, and even though you have lost some fat, it doesn't look like it on the scale because you're more hydrated now. Bodyweight can fluctuate a lot depending on hydration.
This. I wanted to prove this point to my gf who wont buy it, so yesterday i weighed myself in the morning, and was at 198. Then again rigt before bed, came up 211. The number can go all over the place.

bro1

Banned

Yes, that's what I mean. Sometimes you have to spur the metabolism on. Try drinking more water too. Just up the calories for three days and then go back to your normal diet but with a 200 calorie deficit.

Also, keep an eye on everything that is going into your mouth. I was able to lose the majority of my weight. Y cutting out crap and not eating off of my sons plate.

Mr.City

Hey guys, going crazy here 0_o

I started at 270lbs.

I've been working hard the past 2 months to lose weight. I've lost 20lbs just by cutting calories (no exercise).

My diet is usually oatmeal * coffee in the morning. Salad or soup for lunch. Banana or pretzels/hummus for snack, and a baked chicken breast for dinner. And about 32oz of water roughly.

2 weeks ago I started exercising after noticing my weight not changing for the week. I also cut my calories by a little bit. I'm doing hour long walks at brisk pace, going up/down a few steep hills. Despite that I'm still not seeing any weight loss. I've been stuck at 250lbs (give or take a pound). That's three weeks of no change in weight.

wtf >:[

That seems pretty low in protein. Here, read this.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/rapid-fat-loss-without-weight-training-qa.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/protein-intake-while-dieting-qa.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/not-losing-fat-at-20-deficit-what-should-i-do-qa.html

Nerdy1: Nice work!

While starvation mode is real, you got to do a lot to get there.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/permanent-metabolic-damage-qa.html

Try and go to GNC with a pal and become members, the first seven days of the month they have good sales. Also, buy two protein cases but split the cost. That's how my brother and I do it. Works awesome. And it doesn't have to be just protein powder either, GNC loves things sold in two's.

X-Frame

Finally quit my gym.

Paying $102 a month for me to not Squat, Deadlift, Bench, Row, or use the swimming pool, tennis, racquetball, cafe, aerobics and much more was just a little but nuts.

I have my 60 lb weighted west, an iron gym pull-up bar, Jungle Gym XT suspension straps, BowFlex adjustment dumbbells -- so I should be able to make due for awhile.

rando14

Finally quit my gym.

Paying $102 a month for me to not Squat, Deadlift, Bench, Row, or use the swimming pool, tennis, racquetball, cafe, aerobics and much more was just a little but nuts.

I have my 60 lb weighted west, an iron gym pull-up bar, Jungle Gym XT suspension straps, BowFlex adjustment dumbbells -- so I should be able to make due for awhile.

102?! Where on earth do you live?

I pay 19, doesn't have a pool or those fancy things, but don't need em.

X-Frame

102?! Where on earth do you live?

I pay 19, doesn't have a pool or those fancy things, but don't need em.

I don't need them either, which is why it didn't make sense for me. It's not just a gym it's an entire fitness center.

My other option is a NYSC which I already tried and it was terrible. Filled with punk high school kids that don't care about anything in the gym and staff that never cleaned up after the members. Each time I went in everything was in a different spot. And that is for $70 a month, with about half of the stuff my fitness center has.

So it seems my best option is just to train at home, which I would prefer anyway.

Kwhit10

I don't need them either, which is why it didn't make sense for me. It's not just a gym it's an entire fitness center.

My other option is a NYSC which I already tried and it was terrible. Filled with punk high school kids that don't care about anything in the gym and staff that never cleaned up after the members. Each time I went in everything was in a different spot. And that is for $70 a month, with about half of the stuff my fitness center has.

So it seems my best option is just to train at home, which I would prefer anyway.

Yikes, I go to a BSC and it's only $19 a month.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)

Do you own a home or are you renting? If the former should save up that gym money and just buy a power rack, olympic barbell, bench, and weights. That's what I'mma do whenever I own a home. Gyms suck.

Draft

His very odd squat set up recommendation (toes pointed forward) kind of soured me on Kelly
Try it before you knock it. I've been doing LBS with my feet pointed almost completely forward for the last couple weeks. My knees still track out way past my toes. It creates a terrific amount of tension in the hole.

Finally started added in my Front Squats to my leg day (today). Felt nice while doing my various sets.

2 hours later I'm TRYING to get out of my car after running some other errands after working out and I instantly thought to myself "Yeah, I'm fucked tomorrow."

entremet

Yeah. I recently quit my gym as well--NYHR--paying the same rate actually. Slowly using the saved money to get more equipment. Does Bowflex DBs are dope, but boy are they pricey. I've been doing pull ups, with the Iron Gym, push ups and a variety of body weight exercises.

I do miss my gym, though. I'll probably go back since my work is offering an employee discount now.

I would love to find a more lifter oriented gym. Such as Jason Ferrugia's gym. I like his philosophy over the globogyms.

Quick question. I can't seem to remember what the daily dose of Creatine is roughly supposed to be.

If I remember correctly it has a loading phase, and then a maintenance phase... but I can't for the life of me remember how much is in each phase, nor how long.

Quick question. I can't seem to remember what the daily dose of Creatine is roughly supposed to be.

If I remember correctly it has a loading phase, and then a maintenance phase... but I can't for the life of me remember how much is in each phase, nor how long.

It depends on your weight. I'm 150 pounds. My loading phase is 20g per day and my maintenance's 5g per day.

Loading Phases are between 5-7 days ( 5 being recommended) , Maintenance is anywhere between 1 month and 1 1/2 month. After that it is highly recommended that you do a "washout" Phases then start the cycle over.

What type of creatine do you have ?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Finally quit my gym.

You live in NY, right? You should come and workout with me at the various parks around the city.

It depends on your weight. I'm 150 pounds. My loading phase is 20g per day and my maintenance's 5g per day.

Loading Phases are between 5-7 days ( 5 being recommended) , Maintenance is anywhere between 1 month and 1 1/2 month. After that it is highly recommended that you do a "washout" Phases then start the cycle over.

Thanks.

I don't have any at the moment. Looking to pick some up but I wasn't sure of the quantities I should be looking at. Ideally I'll get it in capsule form because the drinks can be a bit hit and miss.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Kelly has posted a few things that seemed to completely contradict established form/protocols, either that, or I didn't understand what he's saying. I mean it's possible I didn't understand him correctly, but I consider myself a pretty smart guy and we aren't dealing with rocket science here.

I've stopped watching him as much, but I still respect him all the same.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Thanks.

I don't have any at the moment. Looking to pick some up but I wasn't sure of the quantities I should be looking at. Ideally I'll get it in capsule form because the drinks can be a bit hit and miss.

What drinks and how are they hit or miss? I just take powder with grape juice and it's way easier and probably cheaper than capsules.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

You should look into some creatine studies. There's a lot of people that feel loading and unloading are unnecessary (and driven/supported by supplement companies to push product).

They simply take 5g a day every day to maintain creatine levels. It takes longer for saturation, but once you're at that level, you simply maintain. No loading/deloading (or "washout") necessary.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Tried 210 on bench yesterday (from 205), only got 4 reps on my 2nd and 3rd sets. Felt like I coulda gotten a 5th rep on the last set but it woulda been close and I didn't want to risk an embarassing weight drop. First time I was unable to get 5 reps on all sets in bench :(.

Upped my squat weight by 25lbs from a couple days ago and still pumped out 7 reps on my 3rd set. Upped my deadlift weight by 25lbs from the last workout to 300 and still pumped out 5 reps.

You should look into some creatine studies. There's a lot of people that feel loading and unloading are unnecessary (and driven/supported by supplement companies to push product).

They simply take 5g a day every day to maintain creatine levels. It takes longer for saturation, but once you're at that level, you simply maintain. No loading/deloading (or "washout") necessary.

It all depends on what kind of creatine you buy.

entremet

What was the general summary of the program?

Basically a more layman's summary of his YT talk

-increased sugar, especially HFCS has promoted weight gain over last 30 years.

-that same increase has also been tied to increased cancer rates.

-moreover, there is some evidence that heart disease is also related to increases sugar consumption

-Lustig recommended very strict guidelines for sugar consumption. He believes it is very serious problem.

Could you elaborate on the different kinds of creatine and which ones can or can't be loaded to the user's benefit?

This is most of what you need.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/creatine_nitric_oxide_build_muscle.htm

If you spend time in this thread I suggest you spend some time here as well.
I use Creatine Hydrochloride and love it. Specifically GNC 189.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113417231&page=1

Also, my own personal testiment. I started eating correctly for mass gain 7-8 meals a day and using it. I gained 4-5 pounds this week.
Which is my first week. Definitely inspirational.

MjFrancis

I've been using powdered creatine monohydrate off and on for years. I just couldn't help but claim ignorance on any other variation and it's properties. My main concern is that loading protocols are usually pushed exclusively by those who sell creatine and to my knowledge have never been verified by a third-party to be meaningfully better than taking a lower daily dose. Given this obvious conflict of interest you may understand my skepticism.

Awkward moment today. Was at the medieval fair with some friends, and this big guy stopped me to ask me if I plan to go into bodybuilding competitions. He said he ran a gym, competed, and judged and thought I'd be good for it and gave me his number. My friends were wtfing.

Anyway, I actually need some advice. Quite some time ago I had to switch to smith machine squats because I was recovering from an injury. I just recently switched back to normal BB squats in the rack and I'm having a hard time making the change. I was struggling with maintaining balance and form really badly even with a light weight (225). The squats were easy, but I couldn't maintain balance enough for me to feel safe doing them.

I'm thinking it's a combination of bad form, a weaker core, and not being used to the movement. I just don't know what to do to maintain leg strength and gains. Staying light till I get things in check is a no brainer, but do I want to start utilizing other lifts to make up for things?

My biggest mistake was letting someone talk me into doing Smith squats in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom