• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminds me I just visited the natty or enhanced facebook page. While I can enjoy shedding light on some physiques like Layne Nortons or Jeff Seid and other 'natural bodybuilders' some of the accusers in there are straight dyel. I see how much of a slippery slope it is. I think I might submit a pic and see what people say.

Also #flexfriday
err....Thursday.

Respect.

Reminds me I just visited the natty or enhanced facebook page. While I can enjoy shedding light on some physiques like Layne Nortons or Jeff Seid and other 'natural bodybuilders' some of the accusers in there are straight dyel. I see how much of a slippery slope it is. I think I might submit a pic and see what people say.

Also #flexfriday
err....Thursday.

mad jelly

looking fantastic sir

Think I'm gonna do a major ego check and deload my OHP.

If it's not done right it ain't worth doing.

Do it up. Sucks for me but I did a deload on squats. Started back at 225 lbs. Back up closer to 300 now but it is worth it to really focus on form. Feel like I am getting betterin that aspect.

velociraptor

Yea, I try to simply not care or think about it. I've seen guys that don't even look like they're on gear but really are. I respect guys who use and don't need to front about it, guys like Bostin Lloyd. I only think it's bothersome when you got guys like Kali muscle or Michael O'hearn claim natural. And those guys are extreme examples, there's plenty more smaller guys who seem content on selling a lie.

I haven't tracked my calories in a while, but I'm eating around 3500 calories I'd estimate. Well over 4000 on some days, usually when I'm squatting.

haha thanks
You have a great looking physique. What kind of macros do you have?

Imm0rt4l

Thanks guys

You have a great looking physique. What kind of macros do you have?

Macros are a very individual thing. That said, I get something like 90ish fats somewhere between 150-200 protein and my carbs fluctuate a lot. On a low day I might have 150, on a high day it's as high as 500(usually contingent on how high I went on the other macros and whether or not I'm squatting on a given day). I'm not dieting down at the moment, so I'm lazy to actually track everything, it seems unnecessary for me at the moment as I have a pretty good 'feel' for when I'm going overboard, and I just go by what the mirror/scale is telling me.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
What's your height and weight? I'm curious. Being skinny really helps, my friend's pull-ups progressed really fast and had to add weight as he got stronger. I can only do chin-ups :( I weigh about 135lbs and can only do like 7 chin-ups.

Wow, you're not too far off from me. I'm 5"10 at 132 lbs.

I haven't been following all of your posts, but... what's the deal with this sharp pain? Whenever I have pain that I'd describe as "sharp", it's not something that I would just grit my teeth and work through. Sharp pain tells me I need to take a break and reevaluate what I'm doing.

So that means I should stop squatting and dead lifting for a while then?

IF you feel pain, not just muscle soreness, then yes, you stop immediately and try to figure out why you're experiencing pain.

It could be bad form, or too much weight, or a pre-existing condition. So see a doctor about it, take a 1-2 week rest from the movements that cause the pain, and maybe film yourself so that we can give you pointers on your form.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Rear delt destroyers were awesome, left me destroyed. Looking forward to how I feel tomorrow. Great workout. The power of BROLIC

despire

Gonna start a isotretinoin (Accutune etc.) treatment today due to some back acne I've had for a number of years now. Nothing super bad but it pisses me of anyway. Spots on your back is never good looking. Also if you lift and have spots it carries certain implications, even though I'm still so tiny that no one could suspect me of using anything. Maybe in a few years lol.

Anyway skin/lips is supposed to become super dry. DOMS should also be much worse. I'm expecting hell due to hearing about the bad side effects but I'd rather do this than deal with the spots. I'm already way past puberty so it's hard to say if they would just go away on their own. Might happen or might never happen.

Imm0rt4l

Damn. About how much weight are you gaining per week?

I'm not gaining now, though I went from 190 to 200 in a very short span of time and never saw 190 again(all you can eat buffet, and not properly reverse dieting). I'm basically right around maintenance calories it seems as I've weighed ~205 for about a month now. I'll have to probably up my calories when I run smolov because the extra load, lest I lose weight while trying to make gains which would probably amount to me spinning my wheels. Maintenance calories is a moving target really.

Drank so much tonight I puked. Feels badman
At least you didn't dry heave. Wanting to vomit, and nothing coming out feels pretty horrible.

Alright here's a video of me doing some squats. Lowered weights because I was practicing my form and stance all morning. Am I doing it right? Wrong? Anything I can think about?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsJB-kI27iQ

Thanks in advance everyone!

I'll leave the details up to the experts in here (once they wake up) but for now I can absolutely tell you that you're not going down low enough. Your thighs should be parallel to the ground; those looked closer to about 1/2 of the way to where you should be in terms of squat depth. By not going low enough, you're not fully engaging your glutes or hamstrings, and this in part also means you're stopping the weight more by your knees than you should be, essentially put a bit more stress onto your knees. There is sort of a "tug-of-war" of balance between your quads and your hamstrings; if you don't fully hit parallel (or even a bit below), the hamstrings don't fully engage, significantly more effort is put in by your quads than your hamstrings, and you'll end up with an imbalanced strength gain.

Squatting to 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4 depth is a very common thing, so don't feel bad. The important thing is to just keep improving to the point you can comfortably hit parallel. Otherwise, things looked OK to me, but I'm sure other people can offer some better advice. Definitely need to get a bit lower though, which I'd suggest you try with just the bar to start and work your way up.

Groof

I'll leave the details up to the experts in here (once they wake up) but for now I can absolutely tell you that you're not going down low enough. Your thighs should be parallel to the ground; those looked closer to about 1/2 of the way to where you should be in terms of squat depth. By not going low enough, you're not fully engaging your glutes or hamstrings, and this in part also means you're stopping the weight more by your knees than you should be, essentially put a bit more stress onto your knees. There is sort of a "tug-of-war" of balance between your quads and your hamstrings; if you don't fully hit parallel (or even a bit below), the hamstrings don't fully engage, significantly more effort is put in by your quads than your hamstrings, and you'll end up with an imbalanced strength gain.

Squatting to 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4 depth is a very common thing, so don't feel bad. The important thing is to just keep improving to the point you can comfortably hit parallel. Otherwise, things looked OK to me, but I'm sure other people can offer some better advice. Definitely need to get a bit lower though, which I'd suggest you try with just the bar to start and work your way up.

Alright, thanks very much for the quick feedback! I did do a couple of tries with just the barbell at first, and they went better, and my friend does tell me in the video to go deeper, but it really felt like I was going really deep. I guess I'll take a few more sessions to further improve my form.
Thanks again mate :)

Gonna start a isotretinoin (Accutune etc.) treatment today due to some back acne I've had for a number of years now. Nothing super bad but it pisses me of anyway. Spots on your back is never good looking. Also if you lift and have spots it carries certain implications, even though I'm still so tiny that no one could suspect me of using anything. Maybe in a few years lol.

Anyway skin/lips is supposed to become super dry. DOMS should also be much worse. I'm expecting hell due to hearing about the bad side effects but I'd rather do this than deal with the spots. I'm already way past puberty so it's hard to say if they would just go away on their own. Might happen or might never happen.

I was on a series of prescription drugs for years trying to clear up my acne: creams, pills, refrigerated creams, more pills, etc. Accutane was the only thing that worked for me. The shitty parts are mostly true. For example, upon first taking it my acne for worse for six weeks and I've carried Chapstick for the 13 years since I took it. It was still completely worth it. It saved me from looking like the toxic avenger like some of my friends who are still riddled with residual acne and horrible scars.

deadbeef

Man I've been short changing myself. I've been doing 135x5x10 (lbs.) or thereabouts for BBB bench sets because my max is around 275, but I can actually do 185x5x10! Frustrating... But remedied

Oh and MrOogieBoogie you shouldn't drink that much! It's bad for you. I haven't had but like 3-4 drinks since Christmas last year and I've felt fantastic year round. I can't stand the feeling of a hangover anymore. I can feel the after effects of even 1 drink now. I can't believe how much I used to drink in the past.

Szu

Minor update:
Decided to go back to the gym for the first time since my hand numbness. The numbness has died down, but it's still affecting my grip. I worked on my legs, but I only used machines because I didn't fell comfortable with gripping a bar. (I'm such a loser.) I did supplement some one legged box jumps for fun.

Going to see the doc next week to find out if there's any lingering issues with my hand.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Man I've been short changing myself. I've been doing 135x5x10 (lbs.) or thereabouts for BBB bench sets because my max is around 275, but I can actually do 185x5x10! Frustrating... But remedied

Oh and MrOogieBoogie you shouldn't drink that much! It's bad for you. I haven't had but like 3-4 drinks since Christmas last year and I've felt fantastic year round. I can't stand the feeling of a hangover anymore. I can feel the after effects of even 1 drink now. I can't believe how much I used to drink in the past.

I haven't drank like this in so long. I've barely had any drinks since, like, June.

But I was invited to this outlandish fashion designer's party with free drinks and snacks all night, and so I couldn't help myself.

Whatever, I'll get back on track today. Small bump in the road is all.

blackflag

I know this feel kinda. I get it on my shoulders pretty bad. Always have. Never on my back though. I've thought about accutane but the side effects scare me.

Chocobro

Alright here's a video of me doing some squats. Lowered weights because I was practicing my form and stance all morning. Am I doing it right? Wrong? Anything I can think about?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsJB-kI27iQ

Thanks in advance everyone!

Like the others have said, go lower. You can practice depth by doing bodyweight box squats or even doing box squats with the bar and low weight. Also I'm not sure if your stance is wide enough; maybe the others can correct me.

SeanR1221

I forgot to tell you guys.

My cousin posted up her stupid Crossfit WOD on 9/11. They actually wrote

"Feel the pain like the people did in '01. Never forget!"

Seriously? Fucking seriously? Your shitty WOD involving 66 deadlifts and other exercises will let you feel the same pain as the people did during 9/11?

despire

I know this feel kinda. I get it on my shoulders pretty bad. Always have. Never on my back though. I've thought about accutane but the side effects scare me.

The side effects aren't nice from what I've gathered but I'll live with it. I'd rather deal with a few months of dry skin, lips and eyes and permanently get rid of any spots on my back than deal with the acne. Mine is also actually only on my shoulders. Never had any problems with acne on face or anywhere else.

If you are thinking about the Crohn's syndrome or the other bowel related (IBS) stuff that has been used to scare people with regarding isotretinoin, it was recently found out not to be related at all.

From wikipedia (and the doctor who prescribe it to me):
A study looking at 45,000 patients showed no association between isotretinoin and inflammatory bowel disease (Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn's Disease).[50] The authors concluded "Because inflammatory acne in children and adolescents carries a high psychological burden, clinicians should not be discouraged from prescribing this drug owing to a putative association with IBD."

What we actually did was that I first took antibiotics for 3 months (tetracycline) to clear out the acne. It worked really well but it's not usually a long term solution. The antibiotics ended like a month ago and on tuesday the doctor put me on isotretinoin like planned.

MjFrancis

Seriously? Fucking seriously? Your shitty WOD involving 66 deadlifts and other exercises will let you feel the same pain as the people did during 9/11?
Crossfit folk come up with all kinds of WODs in honour of those who died one way or another. I'm not a fan of such a supposed tribute, let alone martyrdom as a form of training.

Water

135 kg deadlifts today, for the first time! I'll pretend the washers edged it over 300 lbs, which is a cool number to brag about. I've had 140 kgs/three plates as a goal for many years, and if I can continue progressing it should be done in two weeks (will miss two workouts due to a business trip, so it will be interesting to try 140 when I'm home again, and see if it can be done).

Edit: And I completed the fifth rep by imagining I was Brolic lifting 600. Easy peasy!
Good stuff. I just got back from the gym, lifted 5x127.5 as planned. I've been basically lifting over the summer trying to get back to my old numbers, had maybe a year of non-lifting before that. I think my PR used to be 5x132.5 so I could be there in two weeks if I just keep putting that 2.5 on the bar. Bench also went up today.

I think I'll have to post some video of my next squat - I'm working on back squat, never did it before, just some front squat. I feel like my arm bones are totally wrong length? My wrists have to bend back a ton in order to have a grip on the bar, and I'm afraid of hurting the wrists when I eventually get some weight on the bar. Now just a little over bodyweight.

I'm ultimately aiming for 2xBW dead, 1.5x BW squat and 1.2x BW bench (before I put strength on maintenance and do something else). Not that I'm sure about ever reaching these. :p

/ first time posting in a Fitgaf thread

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Good stuff. I just got back from the gym, lifted 5x127.5 as planned. I've been basically lifting over the summer trying to get back to my old numbers, had maybe a year of non-lifting before that. I think my PR used to be 5x132.5 so I could be there in two weeks if I just keep putting that 2.5 on the bar. Bench also went up today.

I think I'll have to post some video of my next squat - I'm working on back squat, never did it before, just some front squat. I feel like my arm bones are totally wrong length? My wrists have to bend back a ton in order to have a grip on the bar, and I'm afraid of hurting the wrists when I eventually get some weight on the bar. Now just a little over bodyweight.

I'm ultimately aiming for 2xBW dead, 1.5x BW squat and 1.2x BW bench (before I put strength on maintenance and do something else). Not that I'm sure about ever reaching these. :p

/ first time posting in a Fitgaf thread

Welcome brah! What's your other goals? Give us more background! Good to have new people!

Has anyone here ever strained/pulled their trapezius? Excuse my lack of knowledge, but basically I feel a lot of discomfort on my right trap, I guess around where the bar would go on a high bar squat, but closer to the shoulder. I get a lot of discomfort extending my arm in any direction and raising it both laterally, in front of me, and above my head.

I figure I would ice, ibuprofen, and rest this weekend, but just curious if anyone else here has experienced this before. I don't know if I just aggrevated it lifting, or if this might even be an ergonomics issues with my desk at the office.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone here ever strained/pulled their trapezius? Excuse my lack of knowledge, but basically I feel a lot of discomfort on my right trap, I guess around where the bar would go on a high bar squat, but closer to the shoulder. I get a lot of discomfort extending my arm in any direction and raising it both laterally, in front of me, and above my head.

I figure I would ice, ibuprofen, and rest this weekend, but just curious if anyone else here has experienced this before. I don't know if I just aggrevated it lifting, or if this might even be an ergonomics issues with my desk at the office.

YES. I'm dealing with it now. I had to stop shrugs and I do different squats now as I wait for it to feel better, but it's been 3 weeks. Every time I think "hey, time to get it now" I end up reaching for my phone in bed and I feel it, and say "FUCK TOO EARLY."

I just don't know, and it's really frustrating. I think I'm honestly not giving it enough off-time. I still do OHP and I still do lat pulldowns (thanks to me tipping the scales at 275ish, I'm 6'7 so pullups aren't a breeze for me) but I think I need some significant time away from ALL of the movements that use it. Which is tough because I have a lot of compounds.

It's frustrating and I keep hoping it'll fix itself on its own, but it's been weeks.

Hory Shit thats messed up

YES. I'm dealing with it now. I had to stop shrugs and I do different squats now as I wait for it to feel better, but it's been 3 weeks. Every time I think "hey, time to get it now" I end up reaching for my phone in bed and I feel it, and say "FUCK TOO EARLY."

I just don't know, and it's really frustrating. I think I'm honestly not giving it enough off-time. I still do OHP and I still do lat pulldowns (thanks to me tipping the scales at 275ish, I'm 6'7 so pullups aren't a breeze for me) but I think I need some significant time away from ALL of the movements that use it. Which is tough because I have a lot of compounds.

It's frustrating and I keep hoping it'll fix itself on its own, but it's been weeks.

Holy crap, I thought this would take a few days, maybe a week at most to heal. ahh but I really don't want to lose any progress I've gained these past couple of months.

Right now I can't even pantomime doing an OHP or pullup without feeling discomfort. Feels bad man.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Holy crap, I thought this would take a few days, maybe a week at most to heal. ahh but I really don't want to lose any progress I've gained these past couple of months.

Right now I can't even pantomime doing an OHP or pullup without feeling discomfort. Feels bad man.

We very well may not have the same issue though, they could be different injuries. I just haven't gone the distance and taken ALL work that involves it out. Don't get depressed! And let me know what works. :|

Sorry I haven't posted here fellas. I got pretty sick so all I've been doing is laying down eating some soup drinking tea and doing nohing but cleaning up the place. Sucks this flu came out of nowhere.

JCX

Hi fit-gaf

I've been doing pretty well on exercising, and I actually enjoy working out. My problem is with my diet. Outside of chicken, I'm not a big meat-eater, so chicken gets tired pretty quickly. Any suggestions for other protein-rich healthy foods?

Cooper

Hello FitGAF. I have a squat form check request, please. I've been doing the standard novice routine for a month, and the weights are now definitely feeling heavy to me. Just want to make sure things are okay, lest the injury ghost appear.

http://youtu.be/49b19N4rojE

My info:
Height: 5'6"
Body weight: 130 lbs
Squat load: 115 lbs

Am I too far forward? Any advice is appreciated.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Hi fit-gaf

I've been doing pretty well on exercising, and I actually enjoy working out. My problem is with my diet. Outside of chicken, I'm not a big meat-eater, so chicken gets tired pretty quickly. Any suggestions for other protein-rich healthy foods?

Fish
Cottage cheese
Eggs
Whey protein
Peanut butter
Cereal (e.g., Kashi GoLean)
Milk

To name a few.

Fish
Cottage cheese
Eggs
Whey protein
Peanut butter
Cereal (e.g., Kashi GoLean)
Milk

To name a few.

To add to this:

Cheese
Legumes
Nuts
Yogurt
Sliced deli meats (including chicken!)

You can also try combining some of these things:

-Make your oatmeal with milk instead of water, mix in some plain or vanilla protein powder, then pour some yogurt on top.
-Mix a roughly 1-to-1 ratio (or whatever you find tastiest) of peanut butter and cottage cheese together (I swear, I found this on a FitGAF thread, maybe OT1 or OT2, and it's awesome) for a quick snack.
-Toast an English muffin, cook a couple eggs, put the eggs in the muffin with some cheese and a little bit of bacon or deli-sliced ham (if you can stand bacon/ham, you mentioned not liking most other meats so if not then just leave 'em off!).

I would also recommend trying different ways to prepare your chicken:
-Standard stove-top cooking, but use different dry seasonings (try: making it spicy with dried pepper and some salt, or use garlic and onion powder, or use one of the various Mrs. Dash line of mixed seasonings, or try rosemary with black pepper)
-Standard stove-top cooking, but use different wet sauces (try: BBQ, or marinate in your favorite salad dressing overnight [I like Italian dressing for this], or soy/teriyaki sauce)
-Finally, try any of the above but prepare it different; shred the chicken up to make pulled BBQ chicken sandwiches, slice it up and eat it on a salad, dice it up and throw it in a tortilla with black beans, cheese, guacamole, and salsa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom