• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irobot82

Hmm, well here's a picture I took from the front as well: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...f8e2kYc/w1116-h837-no/IMG_20130913_101235.jpg
Do I need to go wider than this even?

Wider for sure. Also in your vid you're looking straight out, that puts your spin out of alignment and can lesson your hip drive. (according to Rip)

So focus on a point about six feet in front of you on the floor. Try the tennis ball method, put it under your chin to get a feel of where your head should be.

SeanR1221

That would be amazing. It's pumpkin season gotta go get all my limited time treats

Got any good pumpkin protein smoothie recipes?

I wonder if it'd ever happen given pumpkin's limited seasonal appeal.

That's what I figured, and it doesn't help Quest is a smaller company.

I'm hoping for some kind of caramel bar. Might be tough to make taste good though.

Pretzel and caramel?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Woo! Had a surprisingly good workout today! :D

I wasn't planning on doing any squats, like I said, but I noticed that I wasn't really feeling any pain today, so probably against my better judgement, I decided to go ahead and do it anyway. While I didn't break my former record, I was able to match it at 110 lbs. Though I couldn't go beyond that. Still, I was happy cause I couldn't even do that much just a few days ago.

I managed to increase my bench press to 95 lbs. Now this was great because after the first set, it was clear that this was gonna be a pain. When I was on rep 2 for set 2, I thought I was gonna collapse right then and there, but for some reason that I can't explain, I went ahead and persevered, and managed to succeed! Felt fucking awesome.

I also increased my dead lifts to 95 lbs. as well. Speaking of which, I think this is currently my new favorite exercise. My forearms feel like they're on fire. And that feels wonderful.

Noema

I forgot to tell you guys.

My cousin posted up her stupid Crossfit WOD on 9/11. They actually wrote

"Feel the pain like the people did in '01. Never forget!"

Seriously? Fucking seriously? Your shitty WOD involving 66 deadlifts and other exercises will let you feel the same pain as the people did during 9/11?

Sometimes I fucking hate Crossfit so fucking much.

Woo! Had a surprisingly good workout today! :D

I wasn't planning on doing any squats, like I said, but I noticed that I wasn't really feeling any pain today, so probably against my better judgement, I decided to go ahead and do it anyway. While I didn't break my former record, I was able to match it at 110 lbs. Though I couldn't go beyond that. Still, I was happy cause I couldn't even do that much just a few days ago.

I managed to increase my bench press to 95 lbs. Now this was great because after the first set, it was clear that this was gonna be a pain. When I was on rep 2 for set 2, I thought I was gonna collapse right then and there, but for some reason that I can't explain, I went ahead and persevered, and managed to succeed! Felt fucking awesome.

I also increased my dead lifts to 95 lbs. as well. Speaking of which, I think this is currently my new favorite exercise. My forearms feel like they're on fire. And that feels wonderful.

Good job. Sometimes we need to overcome ourselves in order to move forward.

Kraftwerk

Not to get too emotional here 'sniff', but just wanted to thank you guys.

I don't post in this thread much, just lurk. Tons of great information, but mainly inspirations from people who commit to something and execute it daily.

I have officially stopped drinking as of tonight, and will be pursuing my path for a healthier lifestyle and lots of mirin. Just joining that boxing club and lifting was because of this thread, and after one week I already feel incredible.

Thanks brahs.

Rad-

Started going to the gym for the first time ever and I'm addicted. :p Been to the gym 8 times now and it feels good when I can increase the weights pretty much every time. I aim for 6 reps:

Squats: 90lbs -> 110lbs.
Deadlift: 110lbs -> 130lbs.
Bench: 90lbs -> 110lbs.
Chin-ups: 0 -> 8 (WTF... I still can't do many with a wide grip though).
Military press: 45lbs -> 55lbs.
Bicep curls: 45lbs -> 55lbs.

If I had known I get so fast gains in the beginning I would have started working out like 10 years ago.

My least favorite exercise is the squat (makes me feel nauseous) and my favorite is the deadlift (I feel the burn in so many places).

I also like that I can eat a lot now lol. I'm eating like a horse compared to my old self. My weight hasn't gone up yet but I obviously expect that to happen.

TopDreg

I don't post in this thread much, just lurk. Tons of great information, but mainly inspirations from people who commit to something and execute it daily.

I have officially quit smoking and drinking as of tonight, and will be pursuing my path for a healthier lifestyle and lots of mirin. Just joining that boxing club and lifting was because of this thread, and after one week I already feel incredible.

Thanks brahs.

Congrats! I think that's a major milestone to consider for yourself. Keep at it!

Groof

Wider for sure. Also in your vid you're looking straight out, that puts your spin out of alignment and can lesson your hip drive. (according to Rip)

So focus on a point about six feet in front of you on the floor. Try the tennis ball method, put it under your chin to get a feel of where your head should be.

Whoop, how wide should I be going?

As for my head alignment, I usually focus at points that are slightly above my head. Should I be looking downward instead?

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Whoop, how wide should I be going?

As for my head alignment, I usually focus at points that are slightly above my head. Should I be looking downward instead?
Your legs should be wide enough that they track outside of your hips. This is a good primer on the idea. Your head should be neutral in relation to your spine; for low-bar squats this means looking slightly downwards, for high-bar and front it means looking more straight ahead.

Groof

Your legs should be wide enough that they track outside of your hips. This is a good primer on the idea. Your head should be neutral in relation to your spine; for low-bar squats this means looking slightly downwards, for high-bar and front it means looking more straight ahead.
I'll make sure to read that asap, thanks for the link and info! I feel like such a moron having done it so seemingly wrong all this time...

Irobot82

I'll make sure to read that asap, thanks for the link and info! I feel like such a moron having done it so seemingly wrong all this time...

Don't be, it's not about that. These guys in FIT-Gaf are super sayians man. Be proud your accomplishments and hard work.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
4.) Lay on your back in an open door way. Keep your right leg straight, and put your left leg up on the door frame. The goal here is to get your leg straight up in the air, with your toes pointing up. This can be REALLY hard and you'll feel a huge stretch in your hamstrings. If you cannot get your leg straight up, don't sweat it. Take baby steps.

Whenever I try this one I get a really sharp burning pain on the outer part of my left knee. Feels like I'm getting stabbed or burned there, it's pretty intense (and weird). Even when I start from far away so my leg isn't close to straight up.

My right leg is fine and I can do other hamstring stretches for my left side with no issues, so I've never seen a doctor about it. It never comes up during my workouts or daily life, just if I try that exact stretch. Been that way for like 8 years now so I know it's not just some temporary inflammation, and it was happening pre-back surgery so it isn't related to that either.

I'm thinking it might be a certain nerve that's shortened or wound up, and putting my body in that position pulls it in a certain way that makes it extremely painful.

Groof

Don't be, it's not about that. These guys in FIT-Gaf are super sayians man. Be proud your accomplishments and hard work.
Thanks for the kind words mate :) going to the gym has become a big part of my life and I try to take it as seriously as I can, as well as be as knowledgeable as possible. Fit GAF has been a great help along the way. From now I'll try even harder!

thomaser

Back from trying 55kg/121lbs ohp for the first time. Did 3-3-3, which I'm pleased with. After that, squats followed by a 10km ride on my bike. My thighs are burning!

By the way, It's quite noticeable that many more people are doing squats now than just a couple of years ago. Especially girls. And the girls almost invariably have much better form than the guys, although they tend to stay at a weight they're comfortable with and don't progress from there. Many guys are the opposite: they put on more and more, but don't do it properly.

Little worried today. Going to workout fasted and during 5/3/1 Intensity week. last time I worked out fasted I did a roll of shame

But pulled it off with no problem.

Public service announcement: The MOCHA Optimum Whey is SOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOD. It's WAY better than any of the straight-up chocolate flavors.

Now I need advice: Here has been my last month of 5/3/1 squats. Keep in mind this was on a mild diet (~300-400 under maintenance each day)

5 rep weight: 285 (got 3)
3 rep weight: 295 (got 2)
1 rep weight: 305 (got 2)

All followed with 5 sets of 10x185 for BBB, no issues here.

Should I repeat this month for squats? I ask because I did at least get the 1x weight.

Noema

Public service announcement: The MOCHA Optimum Whey is SOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOD. It's WAY better than any of the straight-up chocolate flavors.

Now I need advice: Here has been my last month of 5/3/1 squats. Keep in mind this was on a mild diet (~300-400 under maintenance each day)

5 rep weight: 285 (got 3)
3 rep weight: 295 (got 2)
1 rep weight: 305 (got 2)

All followed with 5 sets of 10x185 for BBB, no issues here.

Should I repeat this month for squats? I ask because I did at least get the 1x weight.

Looks like a programming issue.

What is your Training Max? Assuming it's 320lb*0.95=305, I don't get why you did 285lb for your 5s week and 295lb for your 3s week? It just seems too heavy for 5s and 3s (which should be 85% and 90% of your TM, respectively. You actually did it closer to 90% and 92%), which is why you failed to do all your reps in those weeks but managed to get 2 on your 531 week.

If your training max is indeed 320lb, try this for the next cycle:

5s week: 270lbx5+ (320lb*0.85)
3s week: 285lbx3+ (320lb*0.9)
531 week: 305lbx1+ (320lb*0.95)

You should be able to get at least all the prescribed reps.But even if you only get 5 in the first week and 3 the second, it should be enough to keep you progressing.

If not, then it's time for a deload, but with careful and conservative programming you shouldn't be failing reps in your lower body lifts for a long time in 531. Nevertheless, since you are in a caloric deficit, it'd be best to be even more conservative with the weight increases and I suggest you up your TM to 325lb instead of 330lb for the cycle after that.

Visceir

Failed hard at 77.5 kg (171 lbs) bench press today. Think I managed only like 3 reps on each set. Here's hoping the next time will be better. Still had a great workout.

Another gym around here had a discount offer for the monthly subscription and I decided to sign up there for a month for some change of scenery, will be training there in october.

Now on to stuff my face and get all my neccessary macros for today.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Failed hard at 77.5 kg (171 lbs) bench press today. Think I managed only like 3 reps on each set. Here's hoping the next time will be better. Still had a great workout.

Another gym around here had a discount offer for the monthly subscription and I decided to sign up there for a month for some change of scenery, will be training there in october.

Now on to stuff my face and get all my neccessary macros for today.

That's exactly the weight I am at and the way my first attempt went. Second attempt, got all reps except the last one. Tomorrow I will get all of them, Wednesday repeat and Friday up to 80kg.

Keep it up!

Looks like a programming issue.

You know what, you're right. My current schedule is a holdover from lighter days where the calculation came out to about 10 pound gaps in the weights and I'd just go 10 pounds each cycle. I see I need to recalculate. Good catch.

thats my next flavour, no doubt. the Chocolate Mint is also pretty damn good.

I almost went with that but I had some chocolate mint ice cream in the fridge so I decided not to double up on the mintiness.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Having to shit mid set is the worst...happens to me almost every time I lift :'(

Front squart 160kg for a single after 140/145/150 doubles, failed on my second single attempt so I punished myself with a fucking x3 super set from 75kg to 140kg 5-10kg increases for 8 sets. Hopefully I hit ~400 before years end.

~420x2 snatch grip DL 3" deficit, legs were toast lol all back

Noema

Noema (Or any of the knowledgeable guys here) could strength loss in my lower back result in a weakened OHP?

Mmmm, I don't know. Could be! The OHP transfers force through the whole kinetic chain, from the floor to the locked out position at the top, so there's probably pretty strong prioceptive feedback from the back if the weight feels too heavy for the back to handle, even if the delts and triceps are strong enough to move the weight. Similar to how when the hands / forearms are not strong to grip the barbell in a heavy deadlift the weight feels super heavy, like the bar was glued to the floor, but when you try mixed grip the bar just flies up.

Or maybe I'm just talking out of my ass :p I don't really know, but maybe a deload is in order just in case.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Mmmm, I don't know. Could be! The OHP transfers force through the whole kinetic chain, from the floor to the locked out position at the top, so there's probably pretty strong prioceptive feedback from the back if the weight feels too heavy for the back to handle, even if the delts and triceps are strong enough to move the weight. Similar to how when the hands / forearms are not strong to grip the barbell in a heavy deadlift the weight feels super heavy, like the bar was glued to the floor, but when you try mixed grip the bar just flies up.

Or maybe I'm just talking out of my ass :p I don't really know, but maybe a deload is in order just in case.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. I will add a couple more things to consider:
- It depends on how strong your OHP is, the stronger/more in line it is in relation to your other lifts the more it could be impacted.
- It also depends on your strength curves. If your core is usually pretty stable but your triceps/lockout are the weak point at heavier weights you might not feel much change at all. Conversely, if the weakening of your back is enough to alter your form/mechanics, you may find yourself grinding out reps from an inefficient position even if your upper body strength is more than enough for that weight.

I have officially quit smoking and drinking as of tonight, and will be pursuing my path for a healthier lifestyle and lots of mirin. Just joining that boxing club and lifting was because of this thread, and after one week I already feel incredible.

Thanks brahs.

congrats man, we're all goin to make it brah

abuC

So, that vein I used to hate that was in my shoulder, losing weight has revealed that the vein runs from my shoulder almost all the way across to my inner chest/upper portion of my chest. The area between my chest and shoulder is veiny as hell, still no bicep veins though except one or two, but not the giant one running down the middle :(

Also, skipped my power day this week, had some stomach issues on Thursday/Friday and couldn't properly carb load.

Yesterday I played soccer for the first time since I started going to the gym and goddamn, I can feel the difference already. Before, I was used to be basically breathless after the first 10 minutes and then slowly recover in 15-20 minutes. Yesterday I played the entire match without feeling tired until we stopped playing.

And this is after two weeks. I wonder how I'll play in three or four months.

despire

Uh oh, the IF Calculator's domain name has expired and is not working anymore. Hopefully they will get it up and running soon..

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
Hey fitness gaf, I've been lifting for a few year and have popped into this thread a few times but never thought much to start posting in it. Any tips for those of us that are hard gainers in calves? My gym doesn't have a standing or sitting calf machine, only a leg press.

183cms
86kg
30 yeards young

I recently switched up my calf routine, but here is what my medium lifting day is like for legs. Sets / Reps / Weight

Squat 3 / 10-12 / 120kg
Dead Lift 3 / 10-12 /140kg or dumb bell split squats 3/12-15/10kg
Leg press 3 /10-12 /180 kg
Leg Curl 3/10-12/ 70 kg
Leg Ext 3/10-12/ 110kg
Leg press mach. Calf Exts 7/10/100kg super setted - standing body weight calf raise
-- shooting for 10 sets of 10 with the super setted calves
Seated plate calf raises 3/10-12/60kg

I cycle the weight through light (15-20 reps), medium and heavy (6-8) form week to week or whenever I feel like it's time. I'm on a 4 day split as well, chest / tries, back/bi's, legs, and shoulders.

Groof

Alright last time I posted a squat video someone requested I'd take one from the side, so I had my friend try and take one. This is the best he could do (it's a bit cramped):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQn5X7_6SRI

Any and all tips are hugely welcome! I tried going further apart with my legs and go as deep as I possibly could.

^

Can't tell if it's from the wobble of the cam or what, but it seems like there is some wobble and instability going up.

You might consider going with lower weight and working on form/stability issues a few sessions.

Groof

^

Can't tell if it's from the wobble of the cam or what, but it seems like there is some wobble and instability going up.

You might consider going with lower weight and working on form/stability issues a few sessions.

Hmm, I think that's more the camera, because I don't remember wobbling much at that weight. However when I upped it for the following set I did wobble a bit.

Imm0rt4l

I think last nights episode of Breaking Bad increased my cortisol levels :*(. And GTAV drops tomorrow. I predict many gains will be lost this week.

Zoe

Hey fitness gaf, I've been lifting for a few year and have popped into this thread a few times but never thought much to start posting in it. Any tips for those of us that are hard gainers in calves? My gym doesn't have a standing or sitting calf machine, only a leg press.

Weighted lunges?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Hoping Fit-GAF squat clinic could help me in improving my form.

Here are some pictures showing the depth/butt wink status and and overlaid picture showing the bar path on a typical squat.

oIA2Bgj.jpg

My own impression is that the depth starts to approach sufficient. There is still some butt wink / rounding going on in the lowest position, but think I am improving on it and know what to do. The bar stays roughly on top of the middle of the foot in the bottom position.

The main problem is obvious on the third picture - the bar path. It appears I lean forwards when going down because the bar ends up more front on the bottom. This problem becomes bigger the heavier I go.

I don't know how to go about fixing this. Any ideas?

J. Bravo

^The way I used to squat was by looking up at something, which helped keep my back straight. I think if your back is straight, a lot of other things will be fixed.

In my world, I'm sick, and have been since Saturday. Not sure how I squatted then lol. Anyways, since it's my deload week for 5/3/1, do I need to do all these lifts or can I skip some of them since the weight is so light?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom