• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

KmA

Ok so I just did 3 X 5 with 75 lb dumbbells for dumbbell presses. Last time I tried benching, which was like 2 months ago, I could barely do 3 reps at 150 so... I don't know whats up lmao. I feel like my upper body is absurdly weak compared to most people too. I did like one set of OHP at 115 for like 6 reps (i did two sets before that with lighter weight) I just feel like I should be stronger than this.

I did like one set of OHP at 115 for like 6 reps (i did two sets before that with lighter weight) I just feel like I should be stronger than this.
There are many here who would be quite happy with those sort of OHP numbers. Though obviously it depends how big you are to start with (they wouldn't be great numbers for someone that weighs like... 200lbs).

KmA

There are many here who would be quite happy with those sort of OHP numbers. Though obviously it depends how big you are to start with (they wouldn't be great numbers for someone that weighs like... 200lbs).

I'm 5'7 and weigh 160. I've just been stuck there for a little while

demented

I need some help with squats.
Currently I'm cutting, was bulking before summer and then I traveled, slacked and let myself go a bit. My lifts didn't suffer TOO much, I did lose 10-20% roughly of strength but oh well, it should come quickly. But I still have same issue with squats.
I had it before and I ignored it I think mainly because of the "gotta lift more" aspect, add more weight every week.

Basically the issue is during the squat and mainly while coming up my chest leans over too much. Yeah I'm doing low bar but it pretty much happens with high bar too. I tried smith machine squat and had no pain or mobility issues so idk, a lot less weight. Tried with less weight and I could kinda do it but still not as upright as I could on smith.
I think it's too much weight, I'll deload and focus on form and probably weak abs? I noticed when I tense them up while I'm at top I kinda start shaking or losing balance and during the whole up and down it doesn't go that well. So I'm guessing weak core?
Oh yeah and another issue, I think I have some shoulder or back mobility issue too because I can't really grip the barbell during squat without too much wrist pain, I go thumb-less and usually wide. I do keep my shoulders pinched and tight and all but yeah, need advie on this too.
I'm assuming I'll need to do lots of stretching and strengthening core if that's the issue or something else but I just need to find out what exactly.

KillerBEA

Do you guys do variations on the big lifts? Chains, bands, etc.

DBs for Pressing movements
-Incline Bench
-Flat Bench
-OHP

Pauses.
-OHP: About at Eye/Nose level
-Bench: At the bottom as if at PL meet.
-Bench: Halfway up
-F & B Squats: At the bottom
-F & B Squats: An inch or so above Parrallel
-Deadlifts: At the knees

Stopped doing Sumo Deadlifts recently to do Paused Conventional instead.

mdsfx

I seriously don;t know how to balance this. I need 3-4 runs per week and 3 swims per week. Lifting is down to twice a week which I don't like. There are only so many hours in a day. Something has to give/suffer.

WhRRDsh.png

Edit: I don't have much time for lifting on swim days, although that might be ideal if I could get that to work. I'm just not sure I'm laying this out well.

entremet

I seriously don;t know how to balance this. I need 3-4 runs per week and 3 swims per week. Lifting is down to twice a week which I don't like. There are only so many hours in a day. Something has to give/suffer.

WhRRDsh.png

Edit: I don't have much time for lifting on swim days, although that might be ideal if I could get that to work. I'm just not sure I'm laying this out well.

It really depends on your goals.

I think you're not looking at this correctly. If you want to do a lot of things, you're going to have understand that getting personal bests in all will be very hard to do.

You will need to recalibrate your training expectations. And don't forget to have fun, man! That's part of the whole deal.

fep

WhRRDsh.png

Is time your biggest issue? Are you running into any physical fatigue/stress problems? I just started adding running/endurance (10k and half marathon) training into my routine so I'm not doing as much as you, but I do have power lifting and bodybuilding built in too (main focus).

http://strengtheory.com/practical-considerations-for-combining-cardiovascular-training-and-lifting/

I don't know if the above article helped me the most, but Alex Viada's stuff has guided me a bit. Check out his AMA and other writings around the internet.

*edit*
https://www.completehumanperformance.com/want-run-endurance-training-strength-athletes-part-2/

This one might help, he has an example for powerlifting and completing an iron man.

KmA

HOLY SMOLOV!

Increased my max squat from 170lbs to 215lbs in six weeks! What can I do in the next seven weeks? :)

Yaaaaaas!

They added a squat belt at my gym and I finally hit 315 for 5 reps. I went from squatting like 70 pounds when I started to 315 in a year. I'm quite proud of myself I wasn't expecting to hit that number until the end of December. Hopefully in another year I'll add another 100 pounds to that.

Fistwell

WhRRDsh.png

I'd double up one more day and have at least one day of rest from cardio. Unless one of those runs/swims/cycling is super mild (or you're the goddamn wolverine), you risk getting into a pattern of overtraining. Not enough time to recover, fatigue accumulating, fitness peaking quickly, performance dropping off of a cliff. How long are your non-long runs? I'd squeeze one late sunday afternoon after having gone on a long one early in the morning. Or do your 2 short runs on sunday and a long one in the week.

Hey FitGAF. I've been struggling through things hardcore for the past few months in the gym. I hardly go anymore as my anxiety/depression got the better of me. I've tried to maintain as best I could, but I still struggle getting in there some days.

I know it's too much info, but I've been working through it. Doctors have me on some things, and I'm working on getting into therapy. I'm really trying to shake things up and get the good times back.

Anyway, I miss you guys. I still lurk considerably to try and find that extra bit of motivation. Thank you all for that.

I really need to find some kind of routine or goal to jump into. I think I might start up something like 5/3/1 again as it worked well for me before.

mdsfx

Hey FitGAF.
Nice to hear from you spirit!

Goals help a lot, but also try something new! Whenever I'm in a slump, changing my routine seems to always make things more fun.

Do what you have to do to have a good time. Hope things only get better for you from here on out :)

ACE 1991

Slept for two hours last night, woke up at 6 and had a wonderful demon-purging workout to get out my post-election frustration. It was therapeutic.

KillerBEA

Hey FitGAF. I've been struggling through things hardcore for the past few months in the gym. I hardly go anymore as my anxiety/depression got the better of me. I've tried to maintain as best I could, but I still struggle getting in there some days.

I know it's too much info, but I've been working through it. Doctors have me on some things, and I'm working on getting into therapy. I'm really trying to shake things up and get the good times back.

Anyway, I miss you guys. I still lurk considerably to try and find that extra bit of motivation. Thank you all for that.

I really need to find some kind of routine or goal to jump into. I think I might start up something like 5/3/1 again as it worked well for me before.
Hang in there man, you got this!

Good to hear from you again. I noticed you'd not really been that active here for a while.

Hope you can keep moving in the right direction. It's horrible when your head gets in the way of shit. :(

Szu

You've bounced back before and I'm sure you'll do it again.

Stuck with a gym for a while without barbells and heavy weight. How do I train legs?

I was thinking I'd do Bulgarian split squats with dumbbells instead of squats, but what do I replace deadlifts with?

Miss you, too, bud. Hope you feel better :(

-
OT:
5.4 on my A1C again. That's 6 Months straight coming off a 5.7 earlier in February.

Much better this time around on the bulk. I feel confident I can maintain this as I continue but I'm going to shoot for a PR of 5.3 in 3 months. I feel I can do it but I'm not sure how much tighter I can go safely. My 3 month daily graph is just about a straight line XD

with all the things going on right now the gym is almost like a safe haven.

today i'll be doing some OHP again. last week i did 95# which felt good. i'll work up to that and try to go 100# or more.

also while this number may be small i 170# on bench. almost to body weight lol. (just add like 40 more pounds lol )

fep

More people need to take advance of this exercise. It's one of my "hidden secret" exercises that builds quick.

Added Bulgarian splits to my leg routine after Jacksinthe mentioned them a few weeks ago and they have been amazing.

Have any other 'hidden secret' exercises you'd share?

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
I need some help with squats.
Currently I'm cutting, was bulking before summer and then I traveled, slacked and let myself go a bit. My lifts didn't suffer TOO much, I did lose 10-20% roughly of strength but oh well, it should come quickly. But I still have same issue with squats.
I had it before and I ignored it I think mainly because of the "gotta lift more" aspect, add more weight every week.

Basically the issue is during the squat and mainly while coming up my chest leans over too much. Yeah I'm doing low bar but it pretty much happens with high bar too. I tried smith machine squat and had no pain or mobility issues so idk, a lot less weight. Tried with less weight and I could kinda do it but still not as upright as I could on smith.
I think it's too much weight, I'll deload and focus on form and probably weak abs? I noticed when I tense them up while I'm at top I kinda start shaking or losing balance and during the whole up and down it doesn't go that well. So I'm guessing weak core?
Oh yeah and another issue, I think I have some shoulder or back mobility issue too because I can't really grip the barbell during squat without too much wrist pain, I go thumb-less and usually wide. I do keep my shoulders pinched and tight and all but yeah, need advie on this too.
I'm assuming I'll need to do lots of stretching and strengthening core if that's the issue or something else but I just need to find out what exactly.

Hey I was having the same issue with wrist pain just last week. On Monday I took a look at this video and have not had any pain what so ever. I felt great and very confident that I can maintain depth with the same amount of weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2tyOLvArw0

I also started bracing correctly by breathing through the mouth into the stomach instead of breathing with through the chest.

It made a dramatic difference. It made me secure when going down with the bar.\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJX1CyjbMic

Overall ok day at the gym despite feeling demoralized because of the election

Finally hit 105lbs 3x5 on bench, but failed 215lbs on 1rm squat despite hitting it two days ago lol.

I also tried some power cleans because I'll be doing them for the next two weeks during the switching cycle in Smolov. That shit is weird and it's hard to get the timing right. Still, they're kinda fun!

Added Bulgarian splits to my leg routine after Jacksinthe mentioned them a few weeks ago and they have been amazing.

Drag curls. Good god I love these. Super popular back in the day but faded to obscurity over time.

I find they excel at isolating the bicep when done properly as the contraction at the top still places the meat of the weight on your bicep, effectively removing the deltoid and pectoral from the squeeze by your elbow and upper arm rotating backwards as you drag the barbell up your chest.

One tip tho is to really get the groove right. I trained with just the barbell flat several times per week for a few weeks to help limit and almost eliminate wanting to shrug the bar at the top of the contraction. Took some time to build muscle memory on this one as my shoulder likes to do its own fucking thing randomly thanks to an old old old injury my body apparently hasn't forgotten yet lol.

Lying Dumbbell Pullover.

It's works your entire upper body when done "incorrectly", but you can modify the movement to target either chest/upper-back or tris/chest and if you want to add a bit of ab work you can modify your footing and back-arch.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Update: long time no post! Whatever!!!!!!!! Just did my first set of 5x405 flat bench!!!!!!! FUCK YEAH!!!!!!

I will become my avatar!!!!

Lurker here. Here is a progress pic after a slow bulk of about 5 to 6 months. Slow progress but I'm happy with the results. Subtle differences but my upper body looks and feels better. I've always been a twig so excited to finally have a shape now.

Went from 119 lbs to 130 lbs now. Gonna cut down to 125 soon. I am, 5'6" tall for reference. And yeah, my phone got bigger too! lol

Thank you for all the advice and knowledge, guys!

KillerBEA

WhRRDsh.png

How about the 2 day a week template for 5/3/1?

Squat/Bench one day

Deadlift/Press the other

While following 5/3/1s Progression model

mdsfx

How about the 2 day a week template for 5/3/1?

Squat/Bench one day

Deadlift/Press the other

While following 5/3/1s Progression model
Yep that could work. I'm doing a modified 5x5 now to switch things up, although that might change. Thanks for all of the input guys.

And I am certainly, above all, having a LOT of fun. Having a few different forms of exercise along with lifting seriously keeps things interesting.

Side note: I ran 15 miles for the first time in my life last Sunday. This Sunday will be 16. Marathon training is getting real :0

TheFlow

Banned
Lurker here. Here is a progress pic after a slow bulk of about 5 to 6 months. Slow progress but I'm happy with the results. Subtle differences but my upper body looks and feels better. I've always been a twig so excited to finally have a shape now.

Went from 119 lbs to 130 lbs now. Gonna cut down to 125 soon. I am, 5'6" tall for reference. And yeah, my phone got bigger too! lol

Ah 5'6 at that weight isn't bad then.

You don't need to cut yet in my opinion. You don't appear to have added much fat at all. Keep going.

KillerBEA

Next week is the last week of this 4 month program, set tons of rep and volume PRs these last 4 months that's for sure. Attempting for at least triples:

Front Squat 220 lbs
Overhead Press 117.5 lbs
Back Squat 275 lbs
Bench Press 175 lbs
Deadlifts 325 lbs

You don't need to cut yet in my opinion. You don't appear to have added much fat at all. Keep going.

I agree.

fep

Drag curls. Good god I love these. Super popular back in the day but faded to obscurity over time.

I find they excel at isolating the bicep when done properly as the contraction at the top still places the meat of the weight on your bicep, effectively removing the deltoid and pectoral from the squeeze by your elbow and upper arm rotating backwards as you drag the barbell up your chest.

One tip tho is to really get the groove right. I trained with just the barbell flat several times per week for a few weeks to help limit and almost eliminate wanting to shrug the bar at the top of the contraction. Took some time to build muscle memory on this one as my shoulder likes to do its own fucking thing randomly thanks to an old old old injury my body apparently hasn't forgotten yet lol.

Ohhh this sounds perfect. I've been trying different things to work my biceps lately so I will give drag curls a shot. My bicep endurance and/or strength seems to be the limiting factor in some of my other movements.

Lying Dumbbell Pullover.

It's works your entire upper body when done "incorrectly", but you can modify the movement to target either chest/upper-back or tris/chest and if you want to add a bit of ab work you can modify your footing and back-arch.

I'll have to play with this one and see how it feels.

Thanks guys.

Lying dumbbell pullovers freak me out a bit. I got to a point where I was using weights that would literally kill me if they slipped out of my hands and I kinda stopped. I never felt like I could go all out on them once I got to that stage.

Also found it difficult to get into position once I was using particularly heavy weights, but I suspect that's because of my bolloxed shoulders and lack of chest strength.

Top Bottom