• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Your body weight might go up at first, mostly due to muscle gain, it's a good thing believe me. Depending on your diet, you might lose a bit of weight after about 2 months.

You'll definitely plateau on the overhead press first.

Looking at your weights, are you using leg drive to lift on the overhead press? It's abnormally high compared to your other lifts. Your legs have to be completely immobile throughout the lift, using only your shoulders to press the weight upwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3QY5vMz_6I

If you're already pressing 145 with proper technique, you have some crazy shoulder strength in you, but I would doubt that.

The overhead press is definitely my weakest, or at least what I'm struggling with the most. I can already see myself pleatuing that this week. Squats are still easy, deadlifts are relatively still easy, I'm mostly just spent when I get to it

Ixian

The overhead press is definitely my weakest, or at least what I'm struggling with the most. I can already see myself pleatuing that this week. Squats are still easy, deadlifts are relatively still easy, I'm mostly just spent when I get to it
Did you compare your OHP form versus the video?

I need some advice for triceps: i do dips on chairs and i mostly see results in my lower chest, which i don't want.

I don't think my stance is at fault, i'm standing upright, not leaning forward, arms close to the body...

Do you have any suggestion for an exercice that target all three triceps heads and can complement the OHP without involving the chest?

Current exercices : deadlift, squat, OHP, BOR, push ups.
Yes, no bench press, again, i don't want to develop my chest that much.

Barbell and dumbells available.

KillerBEA

Done with Anytime Fitness, signed up with Fitness World. More power racks, Oly platform, pool, sauna... so much more stuff in general for not much more a month.

I need some advice for triceps: i do dips on chairs and i mostly see results in my lower chest, which i don't want.

I don't think my stance is at fault, i'm standing upright, not leaning forward, arms close to the body...

Do you have any suggestion for an exercice that target all three triceps heads and can complement the OHP without involving the chest?

Overhead Extension
Skullcrushers

Az

Long time lurker here. Just got off a year ban

Any of you guys used the bench sling shot to help get past a plateau? Saw a relatively fit guy at the gym using it

KillerBEA

Long time lurker here. Just got off a year ban

Any of you guys used the bench sling shot to help get past a plateau? Saw a relatively fit guy at the gym using it

I have one, don't use it much but it's nice to have. Have used it for both volume work and mechanical overload. I feel like it helped but can't say for sure. Don't use it on Overhead Press unless you like busting your chin...

BumRush

Triceps overhead extension since I can't recommend CGBP

I've had the best tricep results with pushdowns (using bands). Nothing else seemed to hit my triceps (everything else got it instead).

neoemonk

Hey FitnessGAF

I'm really out of shape. I want to lose 50 pounds. I'm 38, almost 39. I want to try lifting weights, but I really don't know anything about it. I don't know what exercises to do, how much weight to use, when to increase, nothing.

I started a new job and have access to a weight room. I can use it on my lunch break every weekday if I want, and I figure with changing clothes I can put in 30 to 40 minutes every day. How do you get started if you don't know anything about it? I appreciate any help you can offer.

Edit: sorry, should have checked the OP - reading it now but I still welcome advice

ILoveBish

Rope pulldown is what got my triceps from non-existent to enormous. That and CGBP.

You and the old lady still working out together?

I'm working out alone usually, doctor said only 30 min on treadmill 4 times a week for her. She's 3 months in and gets really tired when she gets home from work. I am also but I force myself into the garage and blast vocal trance. Usually after I'm done stretching I'm ready to run through walls.

artsi

I want to get my pecs to grow but I can't do bench press with barbell / dumbbells, my left shoulder hurts when I do those and it's been a problem for years.

My pecs are lagging behind everything else because of that, I just can't lift heavy enough.

Any tips what kind of exercises I should go for that are easy for shoulders?

Looking at the beginner program in the first post - what do you do if you can't do a pullup?

http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/pull-up-progression.html

My pecs are lagging behind everything else because of that, I just can't lift heavy enough.

I'm in exactly the same position as you, and I'm having a good deal of results by doing push-ups "greasing the groove" fashion. Basically, take half of your maximum reps and do that many every 45 mins (or more frequently) throughout the day. Really concentrate on that mind / muscle connection when doing them to get a proper flex across the chest.

Don't do any more than that though or you wont recover properly and you'll end up wasting your time. Every week or two, test your max again, and take the new half figure.

I've also found that just repeatedly doing the lowering part of dips is helpful (slow and controlled). I can do normal dips, but it does put a shitload of pressure on my fucked shoulders.

Beyond that, you might want to start doing a lot of band work for your shoulders. Light bands, lots of reps.

artsi

I'm in exactly the same position as you, and I'm having a good deal of results by doing push-ups "greasing the groove" fashion. Basically, take half of your maximum reps and do that many every 45 mins (or more frequently) throughout the day. Really concentrate on that mind / muscle connection when doing them to get a proper flex across the chest.

Don't do any more than that though or you wont recover properly and you'll end up wasting your time. Every week or two, test your max again, and take the new half figure.

I've also found that just repeatedly doing the lowering part of dips is helpful (slow and controlled). I can do normal dips, but it does put a shitload of pressure on my fucked shoulders.

Beyond that, you might want to start doing a lot of band work for your shoulders. Light bands, lots of reps.

Thanks, I'll have to try that, I can do push-ups just fine so it should be no problem.

linko9

Looking at the beginner program in the first post - what do you do if you can't do a pullup?

"Negative" pull-ups, by which you start in the up position, and lower yourself down as slowly and controlledly as possible. At first you might only be able to go a few inches, but you'll get better very quickly. Also chinups (palms facing towards your face) will almost certainly be easier to start with than pullups.

BumRush

Rope pulldown is what got my triceps from non-existent to enormous. That and CGBP.

I'm working out alone usually, doctor said only 30 min on treadmill 4 times a week for her. She's 3 months in and gets really tired when she gets home from work. I am also but I force myself into the garage and blast vocal trance. Usually after I'm done stretching I'm ready to run through walls.

Yeah, usually around month 3-4 pregnant women get a second wind, but she shouldn't be lifting heavy for sure. Glad you're still getting in your workouts...it gets tough!

I want to get my pecs to grow but I can't do bench press with barbell / dumbbells, my left shoulder hurts when I do those and it's been a problem for years.

Try (much) lighter weight paused DB presses. The act of pausing at the bottom increases pec growth. Don't go heavy and don't go passed parallel. I do 5 second pauses at the bottom.

mdsfx

I'm going put this out there as a motivator because I can't help but think it's where all of this effort is headed:

70.3 Ironman in 2018

Long way to go yet, but it's going to happen. Wife thinks I'm crazy and old.

mf.luder

Squat: 325
Deadlift: 345
Bench:

I think I'll get platinum easily by the end of the year. Need to work hard on that chest.

Something vile happened in my shoulder so I'm staying off my yoga mat for a few weeks and sticking to the bike. Not sure what I did but it feels better after a few days off.

Got surprised I was down to 212 this morning. Final goal is 200 and it's been 13 months coming down from 265. It's tougher now but I'm working out more and have nearly eliminated carbs from my diet.

I think I'm in the home stretch now.

ACE 1991

Squat: 325
Deadlift: 345
Bench:

I think I'll get platinum easily by the end of the year. Need to work hard on that chest.

Bench is such a fickle mistress, I hate it. This is total broscience but seems like you need good genes to really put up weight on bench, which is unlike the other main lifts. I think anyone, with time, can get a 350+ squat and a 405 deadlift. I don't think everyone, even with time/proper training/proper diet, can get a 250lb+ bench for reps.

This a completely baseless claim by the way.

Wife thinks I'm crazy and old.

Aint we all. lol

I think anyone, with time, can get a 350+ squat and a 405 deadlift. I don't think everyone, even with time/proper training/proper diet, can get a 250lb+ bench for reps.

Hmm... triple bodyweight deadlift. Maybe if I went back in time to my twenties and started training then like I do now. I suspect I'd end up cheating by gaining a bunch of weight though, and then I wouldn't be half the mountain biker I am now.

neoemonk

Thanks for the pull up responses. This weekend I'm going to look into figuring out my starting weights when I have some more time and start lifting on Monday. Looking forward to it.

I think I could do 1 rep at double bodyweight (based on my 5 rep figures), but to be honest, I'm scared to try. I'm way too prone to injuries at the best of time so I'm not a fan of low reps on deadlift.

I would like to get there for 5 reps one day though. Maybe towards the end of this year when I'm done with my cycling events.

KillerBEA

I was really close 2x bw Deadlift before my injury. Right now really focused on busting past my bw on bench. I feel like 200 or 205 might be in the tank now which would put me past hw but I am not messing with a nice groove to attempt a 1rm.

Symphonia

Banned
JeYRcz7.jpg

This is my current daily step count and weight. I'm fine with the steps, not with the weight. Ideally, I'd like to hit 80kg in a month or two. I've signed up at the gym, cut out all sugar, eat very little fat and carbs, only eat wholegrain bread and pasta, only drink milk. Anything else I should be doing?

this_guy

Most I've ever deadlift was 335, squat 295, yet I can bench 245 for 4 reps. I feel my legs/back should be stronger.

My weight fluctuates between 165-175 because I don't watch what I eat.

Only eat wholegrain bread and pasta
Look in other directions. Wholegrain bread / pasta isn't a massive amount different to white bread and pasta, aside from having a bit more fibre and some more micronutrients (it has downsides too, which I wont go into here).

At the end of the day, they're still both chock full of calories, in fact, many of them even more so because people assume that they're healthy because "brown". Same goes for shit like granola. Oh, and the science on low fat diets have long since been replaced. We need (some) fats, they help with hormone balance, satiety and recovery.

At the end of the day, if you want to lose weight, get a decent, varied diet with a good amount of protein and WATCH YOUR INTAKE. I'm fucking ripped at the moment, yet I eat white rice and white pasta every day. Why? I know how much energy I burn and I know how much energy I take in.

Don't get me wrong, you're definitely doing the right thing cutting out shit food, but it's not a magic bullet if you then go and eat a ton of "healthy" food. ;)

Edit - Oh, and 13kg in a month isn't a good idea, unless you want to put it all back on again, and maybe a bit more. If you really want to do that, go and buy this: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the-rapid-fat-loss-handbook and live like a fitness model for a month.

GrapeApes

Most I've ever deadlift was 335, squat 295, yet I can bench 245 for 4 reps. I feel my legs/back should be stronger.

My weight fluctuates between 165-175 because I don't watch what I eat.
Deadlift seems off. Do you use chalk or any grip assistance when deadlifting?

this_guy

Deadlift seems off. Do you use chalk or any grip assistance when deadlifting?

No chalk or grip assistance - just an over/under grip. I think I have shorter arms which help on my bench numbers.

Overhead press I've done 1 rep at 160lbs, but that's only on a good day.

Squat game is going well. I am hitting it three days a week. I know I am getting stronger, too. I work up to 315 for 2 reps now. I used to stop at 275. I don't use a belt or straps or anything else. I am hoping to get to 405 sooner than later.

ILoveBish

Came home after a super long and stressful day at work (11+ hours), wife just wants to lay down since she's tired from the pregnancy, so we just lay down and talk till 1230am. She goes to sleep, I'm over half asleep but get up, hit the home gym and knock out 225x2 on bench nice and clean. Sometimes you just have to get in there and things go well.

I would never be able to do any of this without the home gym. Worth every single penny. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise.

Amen to that. Though I have to say that it fucking sucks needing to take it into consideration when buying a house in a country where only about 0.5% of them come with double garages. :(

Related, sort of... I've decided I really like Drum & Bass / Garage for working out to. Compilations especially as you don't get those quieter points.

BumRush

Came home after a super long and stressful day at work (11+ hours), wife just wants to lay down since she's tired from the pregnancy, so we just lay down and talk till 1230am. She goes to sleep, I'm over half asleep but get up, hit the home gym and knock out 225x2 on bench nice and clean. Sometimes you just have to get in there and things go well.

I would never be able to do any of this without the home gym. Worth every single penny. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise.

Amazing....I would NEVER do that, but it's nice to know I can with the home gym.

Related, sort of... I've decided I really like Drum & Bass / Garage for working out to. Compilations especially as you don't get those quieter points.

Me too!

Top Bottom