• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Hi fitness-GAF. I'm an on-again off-again overweight gym avoider who has ostensibly been going to the gym for years... only it's usually in periods and sporadically, so only rarely have I managed to get any gains out of it. It was almost six months since I went to the gym and my weight is higher than ever. Now I actually want to get fit, and I feel more motivated than I've done in a long time. I need to lose weight, I need to gain muscle and I crucially need to become more flexible (I physically can't do a deadlift because I can't lift the bar with my back straight) and gain some energy to avoid being so tired all the time and keep my anxiety and depression at bay. So many questions are:

1. How do I become flexible enough so I can actually do normal-ass exercises like deadlifts?

2. Any tips for apps? At the moment I'm using Jefit at the gym, RunKeeper for running and MyFitnessPal for food... so many apps to juggle. I especially would like an app that also has a motivational aspect to it, not just sterile numbers.

3. Also been pondering a personal coach. Should I try one at my gym or is there some kind of app where I can get one cheaper and do the job just as well?

4. Any general advice for me? Considering my goals below... where do I start?

Height: 192 cm/6"3'
Weight: ~105kg/232 lbs, could be more by now
Goal: lose weight and waist, eat better, sleep more (I'm usually at 6-7 hours and I need a solid 8), become happier (I suffer from a lot of anxiety and stress), gain muscle to stay healthy and have more energy in general. I'm a parent to a three-year old and always tired, I want to be able to play with him more and also have energy to do productive things in my own time, not just surf the web and procrastinate
Current Training Schedule: none
Current Training Equipment Available: gym card
You can try exclusively running first to lose the weight. From overweight, obese even I think, I lost weight in a month, and I was thin in 2 months. How much time can you spare? Also, what's stopping you from going to the gym?

I personally didn't use any running apps but people I know thinks the Nike app is the most accurate in keeping your distance.

Hi fitness-GAF. I'm an on-again off-again overweight gym avoider who has ostensibly been going to the gym for years... only it's usually in periods and sporadically, so only rarely have I managed to get any gains out of it. It was almost six months since I went to the gym and my weight is higher than ever. Now I actually want to get fit, and I feel more motivated than I've done in a long time. I need to lose weight, I need to gain muscle and I crucially need to become more flexible (I physically can't do a deadlift because I can't lift the bar with my back straight) and gain some energy to avoid being so tired all the time and keep my anxiety and depression at bay. So many questions are:

1. How do I become flexible enough so I can actually do normal-ass exercises like deadlifts?

2. Any tips for apps? At the moment I'm using Jefit at the gym, RunKeeper for running and MyFitnessPal for food... so many apps to juggle. I especially would like an app that also has a motivational aspect to it, not just sterile numbers.

3. Also been pondering a personal coach. Should I try one at my gym or is there some kind of app where I can get one cheaper and do the job just as well?

Goal: lose weight and waist, eat better, sleep more (I'm usually at 6-7 hours and I need a solid 8), become happier (I suffer from a lot of anxiety and stress), gain muscle to stay healthy and have more energy in general. I'm a parent to a three-year old and always tired, I want to be able to play with him more and also have energy to do productive things in my own time, not just surf the web and procrastinate

1 - I'm not sure if your flexibility is the issue cause you're 6'3 and the amount of travel to reach the bar means you'll have to bend your legs to keep your back straight.

2 - Fitocracy is ok if you need that motivation/achievements kinda thing. I'm just using Jefit/MFP myself.

3 - A personal coach is something you have to answer for yourself. If you have trouble staying accountable to yourself and/or need some guy to motivate you inside of the gym then go pay for one. Then you'll be accountable to some guy, and I guess more importantly your wallet.

4 - get on a good lifting program (starting strength), and focus on staying consistent with long term changes to your diet. Also figure out your diet I guess. You can probably stop running unless you really love it, cause well

12841277_1023603007697534_3064051642098510013_o.jpg

KillerBEA

Static stretching won't do much by itself, weighted stretching such as general lifting will demand adaptation over time and make you more flexible. Start Deadlifting and on the second portion of the lift let it pull you into position. Overtime this will improve your starting position and general flexibility.

There are some loaded stretches that aren't just lifting. One I use to help maintain/increase the required ankle dorsi flexion to Squat really deep is using a seated calf raise machine and staying in the stretched position for as long as I can tolerate + a little bit
Fitocracy has achievements and such. I personally just keep a handwritten note book
Get one at your gym, and get them to teach you how to Squat to at least parallel or lower (hip crease parallel to the top of your knee), Deadlift without significant back rounding, Bench Press, Overhead Press (without excessive leaning back), and Barbell Row. If they won't teach you those things get the hell away from them. Those kind aren't worth a fucking penny.

Starting Strength, Greyskull LP, and Stronglifts are all decent starting points for beginner programs. The difference between them is rather miniscule in the grand scale of things, so pick one, milk novice gains (2-3 resets), then switch to Wendler 5/3/1 and rotate templates. Unless you get really serious about lifting you likely won't need anything else.

Jogging has numerous health benefits so keep doing that, just consider doing it less and consider doing some Sprinting. More time efficient, has type 2 muscle fiber activation (good for lifters), raises hormone production by a little bit, and is less boring.

Also consider other conditioning modalities other than general cardio, such a moving with weight instead of just moving weight or finding ways to make everyday things harder. An example being that I did all my yard work the other day while wearing a 20 lbs weight vest and two 5 lb ankle weights.

A good source of conditioning ideas is neversate.com .He includes it his workout of the day which is what he puts his in person clients through that day.

http://www.neversate.com/wod/

Brian Alsruhe (Neversate), Alan Thrall (Untamed Strength), Silent Mike, Omar Isuf, Joe Defranco, Greg Nuckols (Stronger by Science), and Chad Wesley Smith (Juggernaut Training Systems) are all great general lifting resources.

Finally got straps for my knees for squatting. My knees have been achy lately. Not on the sides or anything but right on top of the kneecap. I am not sure why. My only guess is that I was squatting too low or I came down too violently or I leaned a bit too forward. First time both are aching so I know it was my form.

Ledsen

You can try exclusively running first to lose the weight. From overweight, obese even I think, I lost weight in a month, and I was thin in 2 months. How much time can you spare? Also, what's stopping you from going to the gym?

I personally didn't use any running apps but people I know thinks the Nike app is the most accurate in keeping your distance.

I work 8-5 and have a three-year old and a wife plus time-consuming hobbies, so time is at a premium, but obviously if I want to see improvements that'll mean prioritizing exercise over hobbies for example. What's stopping me is being lazy and undisciplined unless I have a strict schedule and preferably some outside motivation. Also being tired in the evenings after work.

1 - I'm not sure if your flexibility is the issue cause you're 6'3 and the amount of travel to reach the bar means you'll have to bend your legs to keep your back straight.

2 - Fitocracy is ok if you need that motivation/achievements kinda thing. I'm just using Jefit/MFP myself.

3 - A personal coach is something you have to answer for yourself. If you have trouble staying accountable to yourself and/or need some guy to motivate you inside of the gym then go pay for one. Then you'll be accountable to some guy, and I guess more importantly your wallet.

4 - get on a good lifting program (starting strength), and focus on staying consistent with long term changes to your diet. Also figure out your diet I guess. You can probably stop running unless you really love it, cause well

1. Believe me, I have bigger flexibility problems than just the deadlifts... but yeah I can't keep my back straight while deadlifting no matter what, bent knees or not!

2. I'll try Fitocracy, thanks!

3. Yeah they are expensive :D

4. Yep long term diet changes are really hard for me, I've done them short term many times but I never stick to it.

Static stretching won't do much by itself, weighted stretching such as general lifting will demand adaptation over time and make you more flexible. Start Deadlifting and on the second portion of the lift let it pull you into position. Overtime this will improve your starting position and general flexibility.

There are some loaded stretches that aren't just lifting. One I use to help maintain/increase the required ankle dorsi flexion to Squat really deep is using a seated calf raise machine and staying in the stretched position for as long as I can tolerate + a little bit

Fitocracy has achievements and such. I personally just keep a handwritten note book

Get one at your gym, and get them to teach you how to Squat to at least parallel or lower (hip crease parallel to the top of your knee), Deadlift without significant back rounding, Bench Press, Overhead Press (without excessive leaning back), and Barbell Row. If they won't teach you those things get the hell away from them. Those kind aren't worth a fucking penny.

Starting Strength, Greyskull LP, and Stronglifts are all decent starting points for beginner programs. The difference between them is rather miniscule in the grand scale of things, so pick one, milk novice gains (2-3 resets), then switch to Wendler 5/3/1 and rotate templates. Unless you get really serious about lifting you likely won't need anything else.

Jogging has numerous health benefits so keep doing that, just consider doing it less and consider doing some Sprinting. More time efficient, has type 2 muscle fiber activation (good for lifters), raises hormone production by a little bit, and is less boring.

Also consider other conditioning modalities other than general cardio, such a moving with weight instead of just moving weight or finding ways to make everyday things harder. An example being that I did all my yard work the other day while wearing a 20 lbs weight vest and two 5 lb ankle weights.

A good source of conditioning ideas is neversate.com .He includes it his workout of the day which is what he puts his in person clients through that day.

http://www.neversate.com/wod/

Brian Alsruhe (Neversate), Alan Thrall (Untamed Strength), Silent Mike, Omar Isuf, Joe Defranco, Greg Nuckols (Stronger by Science), and Chad Wesley Smith (Juggernaut Training Systems) are all great general lifting resources.

This is just some great advice in general, thanks a lot. Neversate sounds good and I like the idea of exercise while doing mundane things. Will defitely try your advice.

1. Believe me, I have bigger flexibility problems than just the deadlifts... but yeah I can't keep my back straight no matter what, bent knees or not!

2. I'll try Fitocracy, thanks!

3. Yeah they are expensive :D

4. Yep long term diet changes are really hard for me, I've done them short term many times but I never stick to it.

If you have a posture problem, then you'll probably have to search around for some advice that can relate to solving it. Pretty important fix though.

Also, long term changes to diet is tough, but so is running in the long term as well (at least from what people tell me). Pick one and just roll with it I guess. I would rather just not eat any day of the week if it meant I didn't have to run.

Greedings

IMO ditch the apps. The only necessary one is Myfitness pal. The rest can be handled by an old fashioned notebook.

I write the sets/reps each day on a page, then calculate the total volume for the lift at the end (sets*reps*weight) and make sure that final volume number is increasing each week for each individual lift.

If you can't straighten your back, you should probably see a doctor...that's not normal.

Servbot24

Banned
Do not do deadlifts if you have any doubts about your back or posture, at least not any with heavy weights. You'll be bound to fuck yourself up.

Ledsen

If you have a posture problem, then you'll probably have to search around for some advice that can relate to solving it. Pretty important fix though.

Also, long term changes to diet is tough, but so is running in the long term as well (at least from what people tell me). Pick one and just roll with it I guess. I would rather just not eat any day of the week if it meant I didn't have to run.

Sorry, I meant while deadlifting, no problems with my posture. I'm just extremely inflexible and always have been, don't know how to fix it.

I work 8-5 and have a three-year old and a wife plus time-consuming hobbies, so time is at a premium, but obviously if I want to see improvements that'll mean prioritizing exercise over hobbies for example. What's stopping me is being lazy and undisciplined unless I have a strict schedule and preferably some outside motivation. Also being tired in the evenings after work.
Is your job physically strenuous? I actually ran after office hours and it took me an hour to complete a run when I started but now it just takes me 30 minutes to complete 5 kilometers. Also want to add I'm just on my third month of running and now even my boxers are too large for me.

Anyway, I've got a few questions for everyone:

1. What's the deal with eating after the gym? Also eating after running? I heard there's a window where you can eat. Why?
2. My schedule now is I run three times a week and I hit the gym twice a week. I will probably try to do the gym thrice a week. I've been told to just run once a week. Why? I just want to have a toned body.
3. Is there any type of food I can eat a whole lot of without worrying about getting fat? I mainly need to eat this probably at dinner.

1. What's the deal with eating after the gym? Also eating after running? I heard there's a window where you can eat. Why?
2. My schedule now is I run three times a week and I hit the gym twice a week. I will probably try to do the gym thrice a week. I've been told to just run once a week. Why? I just want to have a toned body.
3. Is there any type of food I can eat a whole lot of without worrying about getting fat? I mainly need to eat this probably at dinner.

1. The window stuff is mostly bs. As long as your calories are in check you should be fine.
2. imo, run as much as you can/want, no need to stick to just one day.
3. You can technically eat anything without getting fat as long as your calories are in check. For me personally, my dinners (during weight loss) consist of fish or chicken, shrimp, and vegetables.

Just tried supplementation with bicarbonate of soda for the first time...

...the side effects are real. lol

Took about 10 minutes before I urgently needed the bathroom. Definitely a lower dose next time.

Is your plan to lose a bunch of hard earned muscle? In which case, go for it.

Fasting is a much better option (specifically protein sparing modified fasting).

Hey guys! I'm trying to lose weight and downloaded MFP today to help me count my calories, but I have never counted calories before and am a little confused with the app. It says I my calorie goal is 2,680 and I see that when I add food it goes down. Does that mean I just need to stay at that limit to lose weight? Further that, if I eat under the limit they give will I lose weight any faster?

KillerBEA

The window is overblown to sell overpriced supplements. Just meet your calorie needs.

Running (jogging) alot is generally considered counter intuitive to muscle hypertrophy. For general health and fitness it entirely depends on your goals. 1 day a week would allow maintenance.

Leafy greens.

1. Extreme (intense/heavy) exercise will stress your body and spike the cortisol level in your system. Eating (especially complex carbs) soon after exercise will help lowering your cortisol level. Which is good. Cortisol's actions are catabolic. Elevated cortisol levels have well known negative health effects and contribute to putting you into an over trained state.

2. If in doubt do less volume. Aim for "deliberate practice" rather than "going through the motions". Quality not quantity. If your body can't repair itself before the next workout, you're overtraining and wasting your time/potential.

3. Dark leafy green veggies.

MFP says it won't go below recommending 1500 cals per day for men. It is really a horrible idea to eat less than 1500 per day?

no, MFP is a good tracker but it's shit for nutrition guidelines. If it were right, a PSMF program where 1100-1500 calories are consumed when not working out would be absolutely devastating. Doing it on a regular basis isn't really recommended though. Also calories are not a day in day out kind of ordeal. Overall change from week to week is what people should realistically be looking at.

Hey guys! I'm trying to lose weight and downloaded MFP today to help me count my calories, but I have never counted calories before and am a little confused with the app. It says I my calorie goal is 2,680 and I see that when I add food it goes down. Does that mean I just need to stay at that limit to lose weight? Further that, if I eat under the limit they give will I lose weight any faster?

Again a case where MFP is absolute shit for recommendations. Set it to ~2000 and try to maintain that at first and slowly reduce depending on how you feel.

Seriously, past using it as a counting/data mapping app don't engage MFP in any other way.

unless you have some sort of injury or disability you should be able to do all of the compound lifts except maybe the power clean which some over weight and inflexible people have problem with. I doubt you aren't able to do a deadlift. You may have some weird form issue. That's one of the easier moves. get a copy of starting strength and read it.

1. The window stuff is mostly bs. As long as your calories are in check you should be fine.
2. imo, run as much as you can/want, no need to stick to just one day.
3. You can technically eat anything without getting fat as long as your calories are in check. For me personally, my dinners (during weight loss) consist of fish or chicken, shrimp, and vegetables.
1. Thanks, I guess I should stop worrying about that then.
2. Wouldn't that affect my muscle toning goal?
3. So if I want to eat foods that are high in calories I should only eat a few of those but all would still be good if it doesn't go over a number of calories?

The window is overblown to sell overpriced supplements. Just meet your calorie needs.

Running (jogging) alot is generally considered counter intuitive to muscle hypertrophy. For general health and fitness it entirely depends on your goals. 1 day a week would allow maintenance.

Leafy greens.
1. Oh, so it's just a product of capitalism? Thanks for this nugget!

2. I'm worried that if I stop running I would start gaining a lot of weight again, like this whole looking good/feeling good thing would disappear if I stop running. I'm quite scared, to be honest.

3. I ate a whole bunch of these last night. Sadly, with a heap of rice. I'll take note of this, thanks! Oh, any sort of type of sample dish with green, leafy vegetables?

1. Extreme (intense/heavy) exercise will stress your body and spike the cortisol level in your system. Eating (especially complex carbs) soon after exercise will help lowering your cortisol level. Which is good. Cortisol's actions are catabolic. Elevated cortisol levels have well known negative health effects and contribute to putting you into an over trained state.

2. If in doubt do less volume. Aim for "deliberate practice" rather than "going through the motions". Quality not quantity. If your body can't repair itself before the next workout, you're overtraining and wasting your time/potential.

3. Dark leafy green veggies.
1. Your answer runs directly against the other two answers but yours sound more sciencey, I guess I'll eat some after I work. Any suggestions?

2. Actually the main reason I started running was so I could gain more stamina when hiking. I didn't expect to lose weight at all, it just happened. Now my purpose is to tone muscles because I am so skinny that my relatives are telling me I look malnourished now which I guess what all runners look like somewhat(not meant to offend). I want to have bigger arms and maybe a six-pack so they'll stop pestering me.

3. Any recommendations for dishes or what kind of leafy vegetables to eat?

Thanks a lot you three! I love this thread.

Sadly endurance bodies are not as a general rule particularly attractive. I work fucking hard to ensure I don't look too much like a cyclist. lol

But it's fighting a losing battle.

1. Thanks, I guess I should stop worrying about that then.
2. Wouldn't that affect my muscle toning goal?
3. So if I want to eat foods that are high in calories I should only eat a few of those but all would still be good if it doesn't go over a number of calories?

1. My meals after a workout are often 1-2 hours later, I've always had great results. The window is a lot less important than what you're actually consuming. Keep that in check and you'll be fine.

2. What do you mean by muscle toning goal? Really you have two options, to gain muscle or to lose fat. Doing both is pretty much impossible because one requires you eat more than you need to while the other requires eating less.

I believe most confuse the term "tone" with achieving both and that's simply because by losing weight, your muscles will begin to reveal themselves and you'll appear as though your building muscle as well, when that's not really what's happening. Your muscle was just hiding behind some fat.

So, run as much as you want and can handle, but again it comes down to whether your end goal is to gain weight or to lose weight.

3. Technically, yes... but not something I'd recommend. Sticking to foods that are better for you will allow you to eat more, feel more full, and acquire important nutrients.

Szu

Another milestone for me tonight.

My goal was to squat 315x5 for one set.

I was a bit anxious going in, I just wanted to get one set and knock off two sets of 3 reps.

In the end, I felt great and I got 3 sets of 5.

I took a video of the first set.

https://youtu.be/VHQ_C6STIVQ

I realized my anxiety made me rush it a bit. I wished I recorded the other sets. I was more focused by the end.

KillerBEA

1. Oh, so it's just a product of capitalism? Thanks for this nugget!

2. I'm worried that if I stop running I would start gaining a lot of weight again, like this whole looking good/feeling good thing would disappear if I stop running. I'm quite scared, to be honest.

3. I ate a whole bunch of these last night. Sadly, with a heap of rice. I'll take note of this, thanks! Oh, any sort of type of sample dish with green, leafy vegetables?

1. Your answer runs directly against the other two answers but yours sound more sciencey, I guess I'll eat some after I work. Any suggestions?

3. Any recommendations for dishes or what kind of leafy vegetables to eat?

Thanks a lot you three! I love this thread.
I would break this up again but alas internet trouble so phone post.

There is a nugget of truth to the anabolic window. But 2 caveats. Most of us have the requisite nutrients/building blocks in our body when we workout since as a society we are usually in a costantly fed state. So unless you are legitamately in fasted state youre find. The second being that its actually longer than most people think.

The take home from that is dont freakout if you cant eat/drink something right away. If youre in a surplus of calories and your training causes an immflammatory response to mandate adaptation you will build some muscle. I usually have something on my way home from the because i am usually scrounging for calories.

If you jog less, eat less. All other things being equal its calories consumed vs calories expended for weight loss or weight gain.

Spinach, broccoli, and Kale. Most veggies do the trick for filling up with few calories. Especially broccoli. Get your fill of Spinach or Kale or other magnesium dense foods as that will control/mitigate muscld soreness too.

MoonGred

As a long time lurker of fitgaf I keep getting surprised by the amount of people that can stick with mfp. I tried using it for the first month and got sick of it so quickly let alone the diet tracking side of it. I found that doing it after every set was taking up way more time than I liked.

Anyway I fucked up and order banana flavoured IWP from myprotein, mixed with water its absolutely foul. 28 more servings to go I guess.

LogicStep

So I started feeling pain, which I think is in my sciatic nerve, around my left butt cheek, right around where the butt starts into the center of the left butt cheek. I only feel it with specific movements. It doesn't hurt when I work out but it does bother me after I'm done with a squat set or dead lift set. The pain started about a week ago. Is this normal? I'm thinking on taking a week or two off from the gym and focus on stretching.

Another milestone for me tonight.

My goal was to squat 315x5 for one set.

I was a bit anxious going in, I just wanted to get one set and knock off two sets of 3 reps.

In the end, I felt great and I got 3 sets of 5.

I took a video of the first set.

https://youtu.be/VHQ_C6STIVQ

I realized my anxiety made me rush it a bit. I wished I recorded the other sets. I was more focused by the end.

💪💪💪💪👌👌👌👌

Good work fam. Squats are so hard, I don't want to do them anymore lol.

If you quit squats, then I'm kicking you out of teamglutes.

My glutes and work over the years means I get a permanent spot on teamglutes. The green jacket of glutes.

I squat once or twice a month. I do a lot more direct glute work and isolated leg movements.

Jokab

With barbell rows you definitely need to treat it like a deadlift at first. Make sure you feel 90% of the tension on your glutes and hamstrings when stabilizing the weight to perform the row. If its a form issue definitely record yourself and see what's up.

Just wanna follow up to thank you for this. I rowed today and it felt so much better, both during and afterwards. I assume my deadlift woes are due to improper bracing too but I'll have to see on Saturday when I go at it.

I've been missing depth on squats by like an inch every time. Working on it but have to lower my working weight by 10 fucking pounds. Below parallel is cruel.

Sadly endurance bodies are not as a general rule particularly attractive. I work fucking hard to ensure I don't look too much like a cyclist. lol

But it's fighting a losing battle.
Well you seem to love cycling, I think you should do whatever you love if it's not hurting you.

1. My meals after a workout are often 1-2 hours later, I've always had great results. The window is a lot less important than what you're actually consuming. Keep that in check and you'll be fine.

2. What do you mean by muscle toning goal? Really you have two options, to gain muscle or to lose fat. Doing both is pretty much impossible because one requires you eat more than you need to while the other requires eating less.

I believe most confuse the term "tone" with achieving both and that's simply because by losing weight, your muscles will begin to reveal themselves and you'll appear as though your building muscle as well, when that's not really what's happening. Your muscle was just hiding behind some fat.

So, run as much as you want and can handle, but again it comes down to whether your end goal is to gain weight or to lose weight.

3. Technically, yes... but not something I'd recommend. Sticking to foods that are better for you will allow you to eat more, feel more full, and acquire important nutrients.
1. Alright, thanks. Most of the time I just consume a chocolate drink at night.

2. I think I want to stop losing weight now and want to gain some muscle. Just a little bit. I get what you're saying about toning now, found this article from Bodybuilding.com which says exactly what you said. I guess I'll keep the 3 days 5km and 3 days gym schedule that I have.

3. Yeah, I'm still sticking with healthier foods. I feel better now, and I've almost completely removed all my sugar intake.

I would break this up again but alas internet trouble so phone post.

There is a nugget of truth to the anabolic window. But 2 caveats. Most of us have the requisite nutrients/building blocks in our body when we workout since as a society we are usually in a costantly fed state. So unless you are legitamately in fasted state youre find. The second being that its actually longer than most people think.

The take home from that is dont freakout if you cant eat/drink something right away. If youre in a surplus of calories and your training causes an immflammatory response to mandate adaptation you will build some muscle. I usually have something on my way home from the because i am usually scrounging for calories.

If you jog less, eat less. All other things being equal its calories consumed vs calories expended for weight loss or weight gain.

Spinach, broccoli, and Kale. Most veggies do the trick for filling up with few calories. Especially broccoli. Get your fill of Spinach or Kale or other magnesium dense foods as that will control/mitigate muscld soreness too.
So eating after workout is not vital then?

The days I stopped jogging are the days I now head to the gym, I've been told to eat more now if I want to gain muscle.

Hmm, broccoli. I love that when I have the chance to eat it. No chance for spinach and kale though, those just don't simply exist in our cuisine.

Can't believe I am addicted to squats. Getting stronger is probably helping.

Question time:

I have been doing a great job eating frequently and drinking water. A month ago, I would go an entire day just eating once which I attribute to my biggest obstacle.

So now I am making meals at home and eating every 3 hrs. Fish, veggies, brown rice, grilled chicken, bananas...all the good stuff.

Question s are:

1) when should I have my last meal?

2) despite eating four meals a day and snacks, I'm still starving :( am I not getting enough calories or is this simply an adjustment period of sorts? I have not been tracking my calories but I can't believe that I am undershooting it.

Question time:

I have been doing a great job eating frequently and drinking water. A month ago, I would go an entire day just eating once which I attribute to my biggest obstacle.

So now I am making meals at home and eating every 3 hrs. Fish, veggies, brown rice, grilled chicken, bananas...all the good stuff.

Question s are:

2) despite eating four meals a day and snacks, I'm still starving :( am I not getting enough calories or is this simply an adjustment period of sorts? I have not been tracking my calories but I can't believe that I am undershooting it.

Should definitely make an attempt to see what's needed for you (as far as calories / day) and then track a few of your days to see how you're doing. It's possible you're just under, even if you think you're eating a lot.

RSP

Quick question: I've been on a 1000cal deficit diet for the past 5 months now, and so far I've seen a steady decline in weight. However, the last couple of weeks, there have been higher fluctuations (up to +/- 1.5kg instead of +/- 500g). I'm still eating "everything" as long as I stay under my limit. Any idea what could cause these sudden jumps that weren't there the months before?

lenovox1

Question time:

Question s are:

According to Men's Health, 3 hours before you plan on going to bed.

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/worst-things-to-eat-before-bed/

The jist is: It doesn't effect what your body does to store the stuff you eat, but it can make it harder to have a sound night of sleep.

Quick question: I've been on a 1000cal deficit diet for the past 5 months now, and so far I've seen a steady decline in weight. However, the last couple of weeks, there have been higher fluctuations (up to +/- 1.5kg instead of +/- 500g). I'm still eating "everything" as long as I stay under my limit. Any idea what could cause these sudden jumps that weren't there the months before?

It's just water weight, the same thing would happen to me.

According to Men's Health, 3 hours before you plan on going to bed.

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/worst-things-to-eat-before-bed/

The jist is: It doesn't effect what your body does to store the stuff you eat, but it can make it harder to have a sound night of sleep.
Just to counter this, many of us that do intermittent fasting eat pretty much right up until sleep with no problems.

I could understand it interfering with sleep if you have poor digestion though.

Top Bottom