• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Hi Fit GAF
Age 27
Height 5'7
Weight 190

Over the last 5 days I cut the Suger, Sweats, Fast food,beer and white bread (I try to cut all bread ASAP)

Just recently started exercising again.

I'm playing it very safe for the exercise so far so I come back to you guys for advice after I'm eased to it but I need to talk about safe, easy and convenient meals

I'm not burning a lot yet so I don't need to go strict 5 meals and crazy protein right now

Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner will cover me for now
I'll just snack on light veg, fruit and nuts if I feel peckish

But for the dinner I'm thinking of a system like

Broccoli / Spinage + Sweet Potato/ Brown rice + Chicken / Salmon

Is that a safe combo?
Any suggestions on what else?

Fir other meals it be a mix of Boiled eggs, Omelettes, whole grain tuna sandwich, Oatmeal and salads.

Feedback be great
Cheers GAF

Oh this is going to sound weird but I got to ask?

Since I started this I've being having really Jump scare type of nightmares without fail... is that normal? Like some sort of Cold turkey effect from Suger or some shit?

It's 13:30 and I'm still awake because of them lol I'll be fine

Beth Cyra

I take them when I am training in a fasted state.

Melatonin raises HGH

J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2007 Oct 23;4(1):14 [Epub ahead of print] LinksEffects of a single dose of N-Acetyl-5-methoxytryptamine (Melatonin) and resistance exercise on the growth hormone/IGF-1 axis in young males and females.Nassar E, Mulligan C, Taylor L, Kerksick C, Galbreath M, Greenwood M, Kreider R, Willoughby DS.ABSTRACT: Melatonin and resistance exercise alone have been shown to increase the levels of growth hormone (GH). The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of ingestion of a single dose of melatonin and heavy resistance exercise on serum GH, somatostatin (SST), and other hormones of the GH/insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) axis. Physically active males (n = 30) and females (n = 30) were randomly assigned to ingest either a melatonin supplement at 0.5 mg or 5.0 mg, or 1.0 mg of dextrose placebo. After a baseline blood sample, participants ingested the supplement and underwent blood sampling every 15 min for 60 min, at which point they underwent a single bout of resistance exercise with the leg press for 7 sets of 7 reps at 85% 1-RM. After exercise, participants provided additional blood samples every 15 min for a total of 120 min. Serum free GH, SST, IGF-1, IGFBP-1, and IGFBP-3 were determined with ELISA. Data were evaluated as the peak pre- and post-exercise values subtracted from baseline and the delta values analyzed with separate three-way ANOVA (p < 0.05). In males, when compared to placebo, 5.0 mg melatonin caused GH to increase (p = 0.017) and SST to decrease prior to exercise (p = 0.031), whereas both 0.5 and 5.0 mg melatonin were greater than placebo after exercise (p = 0.045) and less than placebo for SST. No significant differences occurred for IGF-1; however, males were shown to have higher levels of IGFBP-1 independent of supplementation (p = 0.004). The 5.0 mg melatonin dose resulted in higher IGFBP-3 in males (p = 0.017). In conclusion, for males 5.0 mg melatonin appears to increase serum GH while concomitantly lowering SST levels; however, when combined with resistance exercise both melatonin doses positively impacts GH levels in a manner not entirely dependent on SST.

It's Keto as in Ketogenic.

There a tons of low carb protein powders available e.g. the one I reference a few posts up. Mix with Almond milk.
Hmm, thank you for the correction and info, I shall make sure make use of this advice :)

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
You guys probably don't remember me. I used to be a regular and actually be passionate about lifting and nutrition. Still lifting 2-4 times a week but the motivation just hasn't been there for 6ish months. That's all changing though. Finally had enough of looking at this tubby mid section and struggling to DL 450. Gonna get back and this place will help greatly. Have I missed anything awesome while I've been away?

Teggy

You guys probably don't remember me. I used to be a regular and actually be passionate about lifting and nutrition. Still lifting 2-4 times a week but the motivation just hasn't been there for 6ish months. That's all changing though. Finally had enough of looking at this tubby mid section and struggling to DL 450. Gonna get back and this place will help greatly. Have I missed anything awesome while I've been away?

How heavy are you now? I remember you were pretty much a consistent 185 or so.

I was just wondering how you have been. Glad to hear you are still around!

#Day1 starts for me today. Have a diet and routine in place and will try to do some sort of recomp for the next 4 months or so.

Cooter

Some faces I recognize! You and me FE. It's time. I'm between 190-195 but not feeling myself. Most people wouldn't see a difference with clothes on but I see it big time. The longer you go without giving a fuck the easier it is to continue that attitude.

Hey guys! I am trying to start doing strength training and getting in better shape. I have been doing cardio for the past few months and I wanted to kind of lay off it and focus on strength training because my arms/legs are pretty skinny and I still have something of a gut due to presumably not doing any ab exercises alongside some posture issues.

At home I have access to single dumb-bells up to 50lbs and that's about it as far as equipment goes. My school just reopened its gym so I was planning to maybe start going there since I cannot afford a gym membership. The problem is that from what I can see online they do not have the kind of equipment to do dead-lifts or some of the other exercises recommended in the OP. I was wondering if anybody could maybe give me some advice as to what exercises I could possibly do in place of them. Below are the strength machines the gym has available.

Shoulder Press, Lateral Raise, Dip/Chin Assist, Arm Curl, Arm Extension, Power Balls, Chest Press, Pullover, Seated Row, Pectoral Fly/Rear, Deltoid, Stability Balls, Abdominal, Low Back Extension, Pullover, Seated Leg Press, Leg Extension, Leg Curl.

I remember old man Cooter! I seem to recall you wearing a Superman shirt in at least one pic.

Cooter

HOLY F*CK, IT'S COOTER...?!

COOOOOTEEERRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!! YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Well if it isn't "I'm currently 8% and feeling fat!" How the hell are you?
I remember old man Cooter! I seem to recall you wearing a Superman shirt in at least one pic.
Still old and I still own no less than 8 Superman shirts. Wearing one now actually.

mdsfx

If it makes you fell any better I've got to be around 15% right now.
Well it's nice to hear from you. I hope the family is doing well and that you're back at it. You were always one of the more/most motivated here.

Once I get through my last race this weekend I'll be dialing down my cardio and increasing my focus on lifting. I had milage goals for the year (swim 100/ cycle 1000/ run 1000), but it's become more of a chore in-between all of the races. Even though I'm only 30-40 miles behind for running and cycling, I might give that up in favor of keeping things fun.

So anyway. That new bar I ordered arrived Saturday. Apparently, I didn't look at the fine print when ordering it.

I went to work out with it Saturday afternoon, and it felt light. Got on the scale with it, and sure enough, it's a 35 lb. bar. I thought maybe Amazon sent me the wrong one, but it appears to be right. It should still serve its purpose, as it supports 500 lbs of weight, so I'm not overly concerned about using it, but I have to put an extra 10 on there just to get it to par.

Oh well, such is life.

So I'm just getting back to work after having to take 6-7 weeks off due to golfer's elbow. I'm still not 100%, so I'm going light, but it feels good to be back in the gym. I'd definitely started slacking all around so I've got some fresh pudge to work off but I'm feeling hopeful and motivated!

Raxus

So I'm just getting back to work after having to take 6-7 weeks off due to golfer's elbow. I'm still not 100%, so I'm going light, but it feels good to be back in the gym. I'd definitely started slacking all around so I've got some fresh pudge to work off but I'm feeling hopeful and motivated!
Keep it up. I just got back from 3 weeks off and I am ready to puty feet to the fire. I KILLED leg day.

Cooter

Well it's nice to hear from you. I hope the family is doing well and that you're back at it. You were always one of the more/most motivated here.

Once I get through my last race this weekend I'll be dialing down my cardio and increasing my focus on lifting. I had milage goals for the year (swim 100/ cycle 1000/ run 1000), but it's become more of a chore in-between all of the races. Even though I'm only 30-40 miles behind for running and cycling, I might give that up in favor of keeping things fun.
Man, It's been a rough 10 months. Wife was unemployed and it was a struggle to keep the power on. Racked up a ton of debt just trying to survive. Sorta put a damper on my mood thus pushing lifting to the back of the line. Of course working out would have made me feel better but I just didn't want to go like the past 7 years. Working 12-14 hours a day this summer didn't help either. Good news is she's back working and things are slowly starting to improve. Now it's time to get my numbers back. I'm 38 so my old man strength should be kicking in any day now.

Very inspiring stuff you're doing. I can't fathom attempting such a feat.

NEO0MJ

So, I need to lower the number of days I exercise so I can better study in the next couple of months since working out usually burns me out for the rest of the day. What are some good three days a week routines that help build strength?

Szu

Oh, Cooter, 38 is nothing for you. Old man strength won't be kicking in for you yet.

As for me, I'm really feeling it. I'm liable to start blow drying my balls any day now.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I take them when I am training in a fasted state.

Melatonin raises HGH

J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2007 Oct 23;4(1):14 [Epub ahead of print] LinksEffects of a single dose of N-Acetyl-5-methoxytryptamine (Melatonin) and resistance exercise on the growth hormone/IGF-1 axis in young males and females.Nassar E, Mulligan C, Taylor L, Kerksick C, Galbreath M, Greenwood M, Kreider R, Willoughby DS.ABSTRACT: Melatonin and resistance exercise alone have been shown to increase the levels of growth hormone (GH). The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of ingestion of a single dose of melatonin and heavy resistance exercise on serum GH, somatostatin (SST), and other hormones of the GH/insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) axis. Physically active males (n = 30) and females (n = 30) were randomly assigned to ingest either a melatonin supplement at 0.5 mg or 5.0 mg, or 1.0 mg of dextrose placebo. After a baseline blood sample, participants ingested the supplement and underwent blood sampling every 15 min for 60 min, at which point they underwent a single bout of resistance exercise with the leg press for 7 sets of 7 reps at 85% 1-RM. After exercise, participants provided additional blood samples every 15 min for a total of 120 min. Serum free GH, SST, IGF-1, IGFBP-1, and IGFBP-3 were determined with ELISA. Data were evaluated as the peak pre- and post-exercise values subtracted from baseline and the delta values analyzed with separate three-way ANOVA (p < 0.05). In males, when compared to placebo, 5.0 mg melatonin caused GH to increase (p = 0.017) and SST to decrease prior to exercise (p = 0.031), whereas both 0.5 and 5.0 mg melatonin were greater than placebo after exercise (p = 0.045) and less than placebo for SST. No significant differences occurred for IGF-1; however, males were shown to have higher levels of IGFBP-1 independent of supplementation (p = 0.004). The 5.0 mg melatonin dose resulted in higher IGFBP-3 in males (p = 0.017). In conclusion, for males 5.0 mg melatonin appears to increase serum GH while concomitantly lowering SST levels; however, when combined with resistance exercise both melatonin doses positively impacts GH levels in a manner not entirely dependent on SST.

I know melatonin is a sleeping aid, but is it safe to take? I currently don't have much issue with sleeping.

I know melatonin is a sleeping aid, but is it safe to take? I currently don't have much issue with sleeping.

Since melatonin works at different levels, it's definitely a YMMV-type supplement. If you want to dabble with it, start off with small doses until you find the Goldilocks dosage.

Other things being equal, people have a general susceptibility to injury through their innate bio-mechanics. Then you start throwing parameters like diet and lifestyle into the mix and its pretty hard to reach a general conclusion.

That said, I generally feel for the guy and I can understand his anger. I struggle and train and play through injury and one day I fear it's gonna catch-up with me.

However, it['s best to keep out of threads like that in OT because, let's be honest here for a moment, the majority of people on GAF do not train for extended periods of their lives and generally revel in not looking after their bodies.

Interestingly yesterday I squatted at 1kg off my all time one rep max.

That in itself wouldn't be particularly meaningful, but I've only been back lifting for about a month after a long layoff from injury... and that squat was done without knee sleeves and without a belt.

DOWN

Banned
These smell dog food esque but taste pretty good. More like a soft cookie.
https://m.us.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/protein-brownie-12-x-2.06-oz/11183950.html
11094927-2114435866588693.jpg

w9qeDOf.jpg

Cooter

Cooter!!!!!

I'm glad things are getting back on track for your family.
One of my faves. Good to see you Szu. Thanks.

I'm just gonna go ahead and recommend you start blow drying now. I imagine things get awfully musky down there seeing as you are constantly dragging them along the ground performing the splits for friends and family
strangers
all day.

DOWN

Banned
Those are awful compared to their other cookies.
Haven’t tried them but I elected for the brownies because 38g of protein in one cookie seemed a bit much tbh. That’s like the highest amount of whey in a snack I’ve seen, even more than protein bars. Felt excessive and the cookies are like $1.70 with 1g fiber each vs Brownies are $1 each at 23g of protein and 2g fiber so Brownies seemed like a little more well rounded pick to me.

Top Bottom