• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

BumRush

I know you talked about social anxiety a bit, but honestly the best thing to do is to go to a running shoe store. Not a general athletic goods store, but a place that specializes in running.

They will take a look at your foot, then have you run on a treadmill to determine what kind of runner you are. They will then get you into a shoe that works with your gait, foot shape, and budget. No joke, it will prevent injuries and imbalances.

Great post.

Just did four days of cycling, including two twelve hour days in the saddle. Pretty wrecked now. Was originally going to split the final day into two but I was feeling pretty good so I hammered it all the way home at time trial pace.

Back is feeling pretty good now, so I'm looking forward to working back into the weights again.

wbsmcs

Been going to the gym for about a month now, but without much direction. I've been doing arms, chest, leg, back etc. days but although I have seen a little progress I don't think I've been "doing it right".

Starting the Starting Strength program today. I learned all the proper forms, and I know you should underestimate your max at the beginning. I'm just worried about the amount of calories I will be taking in. Is doing GOMAD to get 6000 a day necessary? I'm 6'1" 175lbs right now with around 18-20% BF I would guess. How would I be looking at the end of this program? Would a cut be necessary? Sorry if these questions about this program have been asked 1000 times before!

Yoga sounds pretty damn good to me. It can be a really tough work out in ways you would never expect. Swimming and some sort of HIIT routine would be pretty good I think. Even try some light resistance training with bands, balls, light weights. Focus on rehab style exercises to test out your abilities and prevent injuries.

The key to weight loss is going to come down to diet in the end though. Use an app like loseit to track caloric intake.

Thanks! I'll definitely look into yoga and swimming then. I'll probably stay away from weights until I can see him again as he was very insistent about minimizing how much lifting i'm doing. He meant my back but i'll need to find out what exactly i'm cleared to do.

I was using MyFitnessPal but i'll check out loseit too.

Been going to the gym for about a month now, but without much direction. I've been doing arms, chest, leg, back etc. days but although I have seen a little progress I don't think I've been "doing it right".

Starting the Starting Strength program today. I learned all the proper forms, and I know you should underestimate your max at the beginning. I'm just worried about the amount of calories I will be taking in. Is doing GOMAD to get 6000 a day necessary? I'm 6'1" 175lbs right now with around 18-20% BF I would guess. How would I be looking at the end of this program? Would a cut be necessary? Sorry if these questions about this program have been asked 1000 times before!

Neither a cut or bulk is necessary (if anything a slight deficit would be beneficial for body composition). At this point in the game, your food intake should have almost no bearing on the weight you're lifting if your nutrition isn't completely retarded.

It's my opinion, but I think a lot of people would do well to remember that eating is eating, and training is training. If you're not putting the effort into your lifts (ie, giving up at the first sign of discomfort), 500 calories and 10000 calories will lead to the exact same result (fat gains notwithstanding).

A starting strength workout burns less than 500 calories. Your maintenance is about 2500. I would honestly stick to 2500 calories on your workout days, and 2000 on your off days, and pretty much just not pay attention too closely to how close you hit the mark as long as you are getting around 150g of protein. You are not skinny enough to need GOMAD.

Calderc

Is it detrimental to do chest and shoulders on consecutive days? I usually do but pushed myself extra hard on chest yesterday and my shoulders are definitely feeling it today.

Listen to the others. As a comparison I'm 6'3" and when I was 220+ I didn't need to go over 5k much to keep the gains coming. 6k is overkill for your size.

Is it detrimental to do chest and shoulders on consecutive days? I usually do but pushed myself extra hard on chest yesterday and my shoulders are definitely feeling it today.
What is your routine? Are you just winging it or following a program? If it's a program and it's working do what it tells you.

Also, you should be pushing yourself extra hard with every session for everything. If you aim for 10 reps set 1 on bench you shouldn't be able to do rep 11 with perfect form. Breaking form and just grunting it up, sure. Every rep needs to count unless it's a deload, IMO. Completing any set when you could have done more is a wasted set. Up the weight or reps.

-

Hope everyone has a good 4th today. I'm a bit wiped. Installed a new compact LED shift light and man I always get scared shitless soldering leads directly to the PCM connectors :O Easy way to fry my car if I snip the wrong wire. Them computers are expensive.

Calderc

What is your routine? Are you just winging it or following a program? If it's a program and it's working do what it tells you.

Also, you should be pushing yourself extra hard with every session for everything. If you aim for 10 reps set 1 on bench you shouldn't be able to do rep 11 with perfect form. Breaking form and just grunting it up, sure. Every rep needs to count unless it's a deload, IMO. Completing any set when you could have done more is a wasted set. Up the weight or reps.

I'm really just winging it while I get into the routine of my new job and can find a decent schedule to slide into before I start my program back up. It's not a set program as such, just splitting the main compounds up over 4 days.

And trust me, I do push myself, only yesterday I fucked up by putting two 2.5kg plates on the bar instead of two 1.25kg weights so I ended up pushing myself harder than I intended!

I'm really just winging it while I get into the routine of my new job and can find a decent schedule to slide into before I start my program back up. It's not a set program as such, just splitting the main compounds up over 4 days.

And trust me, I do push myself, only yesterday I fucked up by putting two 2.5kg plates on the bar instead of two 1.25kg weights so I ended up pushing myself harder than I intended!
If you are just splitting compounds right now:

Legs
Chest
Back
Shoulders

This gives squats and deads // bench and OHP 48 hours between them. That's my first 4 days of lifting right now. The next 2 are bis and tris - again following the same principle. This is also working largest to smallest with the exception of back/chest. Rest day is Saturday. By the end of the week it's mostly accessory work as I'm fatigued from the jobs and larger muscle groups. I'll be adding leg day 2 in place of bis next bulk and do "arms" on day 6.

Makai

Scooby: A jacked guy on YouTube who gives out advice in his videos. He's pretty nice guy from what I've seen, but some of his advice is questionable. A good rule of thumb is not to look up to lean, well muscled men as fitness gurus. Many of them only know to coach and train themselves and only have anecdotal evidence why their stuffs works.
What specifically is questionable?

entremet

What specifically is questionable?

Then tend to give out cookie cutter advice.

Scooby is sweetheart, though. He left YT for a bit after getting doxxed. Looks like he's back.

Many also have horrific form with the big lifts. Never seen Scooby train, though.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Congrats! Here's to never having to cut this much again. x_x

Great progress dude!

Inspiring. Keep it up. Love this place.

Congrats, plan on putting up progress pics when you're done?

Awesome Grizz. Keep it up!

Woah! Thanks everyone. I have a before pic that is waiting patiently to be compared. Might be another few months though. I've been losing since march. It's been successful but slow. I have my moments of weakness. Holidays, gatherings, boredom. I'll get there though.

The thing I'm happiest about is that I haven't lost any benching ability since I started dieting. Not that 160 is a huge amount to bench or anything, but I'll be attempting to bench my body weight for the first time on Wednesday. Pretty exciting. :)

Quikies83

Help me out, fitgaf!
My gym really doesn't have any dedicated stands for GHR's.
Can anyone recommend maybe a ghetto, but somewhat comfortable way of doing these.
I was thinking a weighted barbell on ground with support pad on bar and my heels underneath for support.

Any tips?

Ixian

The thing I'm happiest about is that I haven't lost any benching ability since I started dieting. Not that 160 is a huge amount to bench or anything, but I'll be attempting to bench my body weight for the first time on Wednesday. Pretty exciting. :)
Lowering my weight so I can bench my body weight is pretty much my strat too. :p The upper limits of what I can do with bench without having ever bulked is pretty low so I'll take what I can get!

Help me out, fitgaf!
My gym really doesn't have any dedicated stands for GHR's.
Can anyone recommend maybe a ghetto, but somewhat comfortable way of doing these.
I was thinking a weighted barbell on ground with support pad on bar and my heels underneath for support.

Any tips?

try using the lat pulldown machine if you have one.

Capture-GHR.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
Fourish months without barbell work.

I figured since I now can just pop in my garage for lifting, I'd go back to the Cooter routine of 1 compound + accessories every day.

Day one was OHP, since I was going on a longer train run. Yesterday was squats.

I swear I could feel my legs getting sore during my third set. Hopping up into my Ram 2500 this morning was about the funniest thing my wife has seen in weeks. I was crying, she was crying from laughing. :p

BumRush

Day 2 with hook grip review: easier, for sure, and certainly more comfy. Volume still an issue though. 12x225 as a cool down set gave me more fits than 5x315.

Calderc

Feeling pretty good today, managed to bang out 3x3 military press at 27kg (59.5lb) which, for someone who's still pretty much skin and bone and has only been at this a few months, I'm pretty happy with that!

JCX

Adding 30 minutes of HIIT on the bike after lifting has accelerated my weight loss more than anticipated. Optimistic about being around 210 by the end of the year.

BumRush

Adding 30 minutes of HIIT on the bike after lifting has accelerated my weight loss more than anticipated. Optimistic about being around 210 by the end of the year.

30 minutes of HIIT every workout? Good lord, that's intense dude. Like alternating a minute of sprints with a minute of slower pedaling?

JCX

30 minutes of HIIT every workout? Good lord, that's intense dude. Like alternating a minute of sprints with a minute of slower pedaling?

Yep 1 minute slow 1 minute fast. I usually lift 4x per week. Thought that time range was normal for HIIT.

Most people wouldn't be capable of 1 minute easy, 1 minute flat out for 30 minutes. It's possible that you're actually working some way off your max in your 1 minute sprint sections. Don't forget, HIIT isn't generally just supposed to be hard for that minute, it's supposed to be everything you can offer in that minute.

But if it's working for you, it's working for you, that's what counts.

BumRush

Yep 1 minute slow 1 minute fast. I usually lift 4x per week. Thought that time range was normal for HIIT.

What psycho said.

Edit: you'll be able to save a lot of time if you aren't doing it the way he described and you switch to it.

KillerBEA

Anyone do walks?Also what audio books do you recommend if you do that while walking?

I go for a walk every Saturday, but I just listen to music. Been meaning to start listening to audiobooks instead but I always forget. I want to set up an audible account but don't want another subscription to maintain.

You can get a bunch free (and legally thanks to public domain laws) on librivox.org.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Starting to really lean out. Haven't had a cheat day in 11 days. Never over 1700 calories. Arm vein has returned and abs are back. 182 today and pulled 455x3x3. It's a start.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Woo! Today was a very special work out day.

I upped my weighted chins to 20 lbs., up from my previous 15 lbs. last work out, and I somehow managed to do ALL my required reps! For me this is a (forgive the Trump invocation) YUUUUUGE deal, because this is literally the first time I've managed to both increase the weights AND achieve all the reps on the immediate subsequent work out day, since I started working out almost THREE years ago!

I think a major reason why that's been the case is that my nutrition has gotten better. All this time before, in many instances I would eat before working out, but I would always eat foods that were high in protein and fats, but extremely lacking in carbs. Since carbs are the things that provide you with energy, it makes sense why my progress has been absolute shit up until quite recently. To be clear, I have no idea if that's the case, but if it's not, then it's one hell of a coincidence that these past 3 weeks have given me the best progress in forever.

My current lifts are as follows:

Bench: 130 lbs. 3x5
OHP: 100 lbs. 3x5
Deadlift: 205 lbs. 1x5
Weighted chins: 20 lbs. 2x8

I never set any goals prior, but I'm hoping that by the end of August, my lifts will go to at least:

Bench: 160 lbs. 3x5
OHP: 120 lbs. 3x5
Deadlift: 305 lbs. 1x5
Weighted chins: 40 lbs. 2x8

I'm getting my wisdom teeth taken out next friday, so I hope that doesn't fuck me up too much for too long.

But yeah, haven't felt this energized in a while! Let's' do dis shit!

edit: incidentally it just occurred to me that I wasn't supposed to do weighted chins at all today, but rather, barbell curls. :/ Ah, well.

Maximo

Been doing weights on and off for a few years now and started getting serious again doing Starting Strength 5 x 5 along with some walking and jogging on the beach on my off days.
Only thing is my legs have always been naturally big, squat has always been my best exercise and they are eclipsing my upper body. Heard some advice before saying don't worry about it my upper should even out alittle as time goes on, should I bother doing any isolation workouts or stick to the plan.
Guess I shouldn't complain since most seem to have trouble with their lower body.

Pachimari

Turned out my new shoes were too small, so didn't start the SS yet. Gonna exchange them for a larger size today. Although I still did cardio to lose some weight and belly fat, in fact my plan is to do cardio every day, and then the SS every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Greddleok

I want to start reverse dieting. Last time I tried I failed miserably and put on too much fat.

I'm really just looking for advice and experience, I know what I did wrong last time - I didn't stick to my macros and would often say "fuck it, I'm reverse dieting" while eating cake/ice cream/cookies.

Some info:
Current height 180cm/5'11"
Weight: Fluctuating between 82 and 85kg
Activity levels: high (60 mins+ high intensity exercise 6/7 days)
Dieting for 16 weeks, I think my current maintenance is around 2000-2200 kcal/day.
No idea what my BF% is.

JoeNut

I have a 20k run to do in 5 weeks, so i'm going to give the squats a rest now and focus on jogging + chest / back / shoulders

any runners have any tips? should i be doing every day, every other day? 5k's to start with and then working my way up?

KillerBEA

Messed up a little bit on my heavier sets today, went heavier than I should have. Only by 5 pounds but I felt like hell afterwards. Was borderline passing out. Laid down on a yoga mat and closed my eyes for a little bit (only 1 other person at the gym).

Scared me a little bit.

Fistwell

I have a 20k run to do in 5 weeks, so i'm going to give the squats a rest now and focus on jogging + chest / back / shoulders

any runners have any tips? should i be doing every day, every other day? 5k's to start with and then working my way up?
It depends on your fitness level and goals. But I'd say give your legs at least one day to completely rest per week. I wouldn't increase weekly mileage like crazy. They say no more than 10% but that's just the dumb rule of thumb everyone parrots (incl. me). It depends on too many parameters to be able to have a general rule. Just don't do anything nuts like going from 5 to 40 in a week.

On 5 to 6 running days per week, I'd have 2 quality workouts (short intervals, long intervals, tempo, hills), 1 long run, and the rest being easy days. It's usually a good idea to space out hard/quality workouts. 1 day hard, next day easy, etc. For specific workout exercises, intervals and repeats are gonna be series of runs over a given distance, for which you want to hold a given pace, with fixed amounts of rest time in between. The distance, pace, number of series, rest time, all depend on fitness level and what you want to accomplish/work on.

If you don't have tons of experience, I'd suggest something along the following lines,
- Speed day: 10min easy warm up, 10x200m, 200 jog to recovery inbetween repeats, 5min slow jog recovery, then 5x400m, 400m jog to recovery in between repeats, 10 min easy cooldown. If that's too much volume, scale number of repeats accordingly. Look up equivalency tables to figure out approrpiate pace (see here or there). Specify your current running time over a given distance (what you can do now, not what your target), and look-up repeat pace in the training tab. That's about 12Km distance for the session. Scale number of reps up or down depending on target weekly mileage. This shouldn't be more than 1/5th of weekly mileage (so this would be for a 60+Km/week person). It'll work your turnover, getting used to moving your legs quicker than target race pace, getting you more comfortable at slower speed.

- Resistance/running economy: 10min warmup, 2x1mile repeats, 2min jogging recovery inbetween, then 5min easy jogging, 20min threshold, 10min cooldown. Again, about 12K, scale as needed. This is a running economy workout.

I'd build up the length of your long run over the first 3 weeks, from 14, to 16, to 18K, roughly. Then scale it back down after that. Don't run much on the week beofre your race. Go out a cple of times, maybe 5K each, easy pace with some strides (progressive accelerations held for a few 10s of meters at top speed before slowdown, meant to get the blood flowing without tiring your muscles).

5 weeks isn't much time at all though, I wouldn't expect miracles. In any case, bets of luck and feel free to drop by the running thread for better tips from people better informed than me.

if this is all too much work, just go out 4 to 5 times a week, alternate one day trying hard and the next going super easy. Increase mileage progressively the first 3 weeks before cutting down on the last 2, glhf

Top Bottom