• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Five #DRIVECLUB beta videos + impressions

Chaplain

Original soundtrack by Hybrid

Here are some of Hybrid's mixes from their soundcloud page.

Hybrid Summer Vibe 2014
Hybrid Soundsystem @ Public Works, San Francisco (Hour 1)
Hybrid Soundsystem @ Public Works, San Francisco (Hour 2)
Hybrid Soundsystem Frisky Radio Show : Laid Back Summer Mix : Hour 1
Hybrid - Black Treacle (Summer Mixtape)
Hybrid Soundsystem @ Chinese Laundry
Hybrid Soundsystem Frisky Radio Show : Summer Tasty Techno Mix : Hour 2

Hybrid has an interesting style that sounds great at times. For me, not as good as the Silk Royal Showcase or Anjunabeats guys, but better (for my tastes) than the style of music found in other racing games.

Does anyone know if Evolution Studios is going to incorporate Hybrids mixes for the music selection in Driveclub? This is what I personally want in racing games now a days. Single tracks don't work for me in driving games since they can end in the middle of a race. This means all that is heard is sound effects that takes me out of the driving experience.

Gestault

I was going to whine about the more limited range of the music, then when I switched over to my Gaf tab I left the music tab open and heard it while I looked at the webm's of gameplay. I think I'm utterly ok with this, at least based on this.

yeah motorstorm apocalypse dedicated original soundtrack was so beastly

No it wasn't. It was terrible, like many changes made for Apocalypse. Pacific Rift's soundtrack was awesome, a good mix of rock, metal, breaks and beats. It had the Plump DJ's mix of Everybody Needs a 303 and Phat Planet which crap on everything on the Apocalypse soundtrack from a large height.

Like I said, I like Hybrid, but I hope Evolution consider going for a curated soundtrack again next time. I think the diversity by different artists is more interesting and if you don't happen to like the artist doing the soundtrack you're out of luck.

Chaplain

Like I said, I like Hybrid, but I hope Evolution consider going for a curated soundtrack again next time. I think the diversity by different artists is more interesting and if you don't happen to like the artist doing the soundtrack you're out of luck.

The easiest solution would be custom soundtracks (MP3 Support).
The other alternatives that Sony should already be looking at are Soundcloud, Spotify, and other external music apps that can be played in the background while gaming.

MDSLKTR

No it wasn't. It was terrible, like many changes made for Apocalypse. Pacific Rift's soundtrack was awesome, a good mix of rock, metal, breaks and beats. It had the Plump DJ's mix of Everybody Needs a 303 and Phat Planet which crap on everything on the Apocalypse soundtrack from a large height.

Well speak for yourself, I didn't like PR soundtrack at all because it was all over the place and it had bloody beetroots and diplo which is scrub level for me, Arctic edge was much much better in that regards.
And I wouldn't say that any kind of artist would be able to shit on dj shadow's works ;) noisia is noisia but if was spot on with the mayhem on display

Correct me if I'm wrong but in Driveclub you're unable to tune vehicles, there are no licensed tracks, there are only fifty or so cars (there's a larger variety of foliage than cars..), and it's a closed track racer running at 30FPS. This game is unarguably gorgeous, but I can't help but feel this is nothing more than a tech. demo.

You tell 'em, Tuhbakee. If there's a genre where 60fps is imperative, it's racing games. But people don't wanna hear it. You can praise this game all you like and not get pounced upon but the minute you express criticism of it - get ready for the backlash. Well I tell you what, I don’t think 30fps the correct design choice for this game. I don’t believe it. I think they got their priorities wrong. And the likelihood that I am right – as opposed to the likelihood that bells and whistles>60fps, I think puts me much more near the position of being objectively correct.

But who are the ones getting multi-quoted here? The person who heaps praise on Driveclub and posts gifs, or you who says “this is nothing more than a tech demo”?

And up go the placards and the yells and the howls and the screams – this is in the PS blog, this is in the YouTube comments section and this is on NeoGAF, it is right in our midst now – “Terrible post” etc.

Do they get reactions when they heap praise? No.

Might I get a reaction for what I just said about a 30fps racer on new, more powerful hardware in 2014? Yes, I might.

Where are your priorities ladies and gentlemen?

You’re giving away what is most precious in your own racing games, and you’re giving it away without a fight and you’re even praising the people who want to deny you the right to resist it. Shame on you why you do this. Make the best use of the 60fps racers you’ve got left. This is really serious.

Thrakier

You tell 'em, Tuhbakee. If there's a genre where 60fps is imperative, it's racing games. But people don't wanna hear it. You can praise this game all you like and not get pounced upon but the minute you express criticism of it - get ready for the backlash. Well I tell you what, I don’t think 30fps the correct design choice for this game. I don’t believe it. I think they got their priorities wrong. And the likelihood that I am right – as opposed to the likelihood that bells and whistles>60fps, I think puts me much more near the position of being objectively correct.

But who are the ones getting multi-quoted here? The person who heaps praise on Driveclub and posts gifs, or you who says “this is nothing more than a tech demo”?

And up go the placards and the yells and the howls and the screams – this is in the PS blog, this is in the YouTube comments section and this is on NeoGAF, it is right in our midst now – “Terrible post” etc.

Might I get a reaction for what I just said about a 30fps racer on new, more powerful hardware in 2014? Yes, I might.

You’re giving away what is most precious in your own racing games, and you’re giving it away without a fight and you’re even praising the people who want to deny you the right to resist it. Shame on you why you do this. Make the best use of the 60fps racers you’ve got left. This is really serious.

Well, the thing is, you don't know their priorities. Since it was probably on beautiful lighthouses, I'd argue that they did everything right.

I respect your opinion, but I'm still going to enjoy the hell out of this game regardless if it's 30fps or 60fps. Don't get me wrong, I love 60fps in most games, but I'm not going to make a big stink over it. If that's the decision they made as designers, I'm not going to bash them over framerates. I just want to play the game.

web01

Well sadly that is common practice on GAF, if you make a dissenting or negative comment or opinion then you will have loads of people jump on you and quote, most of them are usually just smart ass short replies designed to bully / attack / dismiss what they don't like rather than address the argument. Others will twist and warp your words into straw man arguments to try dismiss your comments.

DC choosing 30fps get me those gfx so it okay even if i rather have 60fps .
I don't buy racing games other than GT but gfx is the main reason i buying DC and if was another racer at 60fps but okay gfx don't think i would have bought it .

MaxiLive

MY priority is in entertainment. As long as a game entertains me at 10 fps or 120fps and doesn't feel broken at their respected framerates then that is fine :D

I would prefer 60 hell I would prefer 120 on every game I play but that doesn't mean a game is trash if it doesn't achieve that and should be discarded. If framerate is an issue to anyone then seriously just go buy a high end PC and all your worries will be gone, if you want to stick to console cheap hardware and such then expect the experiences to not be as grand. Not that many games are achieving 60fps at the moment give it another two years and I think you will see a lot more shooting for that but graphics may stagnate somewhat (they are pretty great!).

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I let the game makers do whatever the fuck they want, while I in turn do whatever the fuck I do with my money.

Not liking something and voicing that is not the same as having epic Braveheart meltdowns.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Y'know, I've never gotten the whole 60fps thing in driving games. Is some faster reaction time gonna stop you from getting overtaken? Don't think so. Is it for "that sense of speed"? What's the point if you don't have good motion blur. It doesn't make any sense to me and which framerate a racing game is has never even been noticeable to me.

EDIT:
Well sadly that is common practice on GAF, if you make a dissenting or negative comment or opinion then you will have loads of people jump on you and quote, most of them are usually just smart ass short replies designed to bully / attack / dismiss what they don't like rather than address the argument. Others will twist and warp your words into straw man arguments to try dismiss your comments.
No, it's when you don't explain your negative or dissenting opinion us when that happens. For example...
Correct me if I'm wrong but in Driveclub you're unable to tune vehicles, there are no licensed tracks, there are only fifty or so cars (there's a larger variety of foliage than cars..), and it's a closed track racer running at 30FPS. This game is unarguably gorgeous, but I can't help but feel this is nothing more than a tech. demo.
Tuhbakee here needs to explain why not being able to turn vehicles, no licensed tracks, and 30fps is bad. Nevermind the fact that "there's a Seger variety of foliage than cars" has to be a deliberate troll. I'd appreciate it if he explained to me why 50 cars isn't an acceptable number.

If you don't explain your "argument" there was never a discussion to be had in the first place.

If framerate is an issue to anyone then seriously just go buy a high end PC and all your worries will be gone, if you want to stick to console cheap hardware and such then expect the experiences to not be as grand.

^^^^ This. People shouldn't be complaining over console gaming quality. The PS4 is $400 for a reason. If it were $1,000, then I would be more annoyed if DC couldn't achieve 60fps, but it's not a high-end PC, so stop comparing.

My priority is having fun.

This game looks like it. Not really fazed with it being just 30fps. 60fps would be more fantastic, but I'll live.

If this game marks the end of 60fps games, as developers start to chase for graphic quality, I'll live.

Really, I'll live.

cackhyena

This game looks like it. Not really fazed with it being just 30fps. 60fps would be more fantastic, but I'll live.

If this game marks the end of 60fps games, as developers start to chase for graphic quality, I'll live.

Really, I'll live.
Nonsense. You'll perish with the rest of us, you fool.

jett

D-Member
Y'know, I've never gotten the whole 60fps thing in driving games. Is some faster reaction time gonna stop you from getting overtaken? Don't think so. Is it for "that sense of speed"? What's the point if you don't have good motion blur. It doesn't make any sense to me and which framerate a racing game is has never even been noticeable to me.

For me it's not really just about gameplay, such as it is in fighters or complex action games that need the added frames for exacting input, it's about visual feedback in any fast motion game. 30fps is not enough for me to sustain high speed visuals, everything looks jerkier than usual. It's not unplayable, I still play Wave Race 64 every now and then and that thing runs at 20 fps, but it's not ideal. It's too bad 30fps became the standard last generation. The amount of 60fps racers were just too few on consoles.

EGOMON

I let the game makers do whatever the fuck they want, while I in turn do whatever the fuck I do with my money.

Not liking something and voicing that is not the same as having epic Braveheart meltdowns.
This ^
I never understand people going to threads of games they don't have interest on just to bash it, devs have the right to make the game THEY want to make its their vision it is up to the gamers to accept it or refuse it saying their vision is wrong or their priority flawed is kinda absurd when you are not part of the project.

p3tran

Banned

dude! nobody is giving away anything. and while you are maybe right in what you say about hype and overhype, dont forget that there are more than 10 million people there with ps4's and no racers. (well, except NFS:R that is).
so hype is understandable. on the other hand, personal attacks on those who do not echo the hype is bad, and I agree on this with you.

now for me, this is how it goes down:
I like racing games. I really do. Of course quick screen refresh (and perfect framerate and low input latency) are alpha and omega in the games that I mostly enjoy.

Evo, they took some decisions here. its their prerogative.
not only they took decisions, but they also have had the time to implement them too.

so lets see how it plays out. last videos indeed show a beautiful racer. so credit them for it.

now, if cutting the framerate in half is worth it for the pretties, or even if the game will be enjoyable for people that enjoy racing, and not taking photos or looking at forests, this we will see as we get to play it.
I've played stupid games @60, and great games @30. (you are right, I will always want the great game to be @60)

this game was the main reason I preordered the console last summer. I want it to be good.
if they miss their target, bottom line its not your loss, nor mine. but let them do their thing. you get the last word anyway. you are not giving anything away.

Is this a serious comment? Jeez, it's just a videogame, you're acting as if we are having our freedoms taking away or something.

No, if you make a blatant drive-by troll comment, THAT will result in people jumping on you. And rightfully so. He/she made no effort to say why 30fps, 50 cars, no licensed tracks was a bad thing, and topped it off with a pointless comparison of varieties of foliage to cars (seriously, you could say any game has a higher amount of X than Y), which further hinted at it being yet another drive-by troll comment in a DC thread.

This.

There dont seem to be alot of PGR fans around here.

One of
-if not
the most fun racers out there and it only runs at 30 fps! :O

Is it fun? Hell yeah!

One of
-if not
the most fun racers out there and it only ran at 30 fps! :O

Is it fun? Hell yeah!

PGR4 is my favourite racing game of all time. I spent thousands of hours playing Bulldog mode. Proof that racers can be enjoyable (and responsive) at 30fps
at leasr for me, anyway.

For me it's not really just about gameplay, such as it is in fighters or complex action games that need the added frames for exacting input, it's about visual feedback in any fast motion game. 30fps is not enough for me to sustain high speed visuals, everything looks jerkier than usual. It's not unplayable, I still play Wave Race 64 every now and then and that thing runs at 20 fps, but it's not ideal. It's too bad 30fps became the standard last generation. The amount of 60fps racers were just too few on consoles.

serious question: did you play/enjoy PGR3/4?

whoaduh

Tuhbakee here needs to explain why not being able to turn vehicles, no licensed tracks, and 30fps is bad. Nevermind the fact that "there's a Seger variety of foliage than cars" has to be a deliberate troll. I'd appreciate it if he explained to me why 50 cars isn't an acceptable number.

If you don't explain your "argument" there was never a discussion to be had in the first place.

Well I think his "argument" is that Driveclub isn't doing it for him and his explanation for that is the lack of tuning or licensed tracks with 30 fps. For him to explain even further is just him saying "becuase I like tuning, licensed tracks, 60 fps, and more cars." Pretty self explanatory.

The foliage and tech demo comments were unnecesary though.

And btw any racer that takes place in these locales, I would hope they have more types of foliage than cars.

p3tran

Banned

One of
-if not
the most fun racers out there and it only ran at 30 fps! :O

Is it fun? Hell yeah!

I bet that I have played multiples of time PGR (1,2,3 and 4) than you have. (in fact, I am willing to bet that I have played a lot more than most of the guys that always bring up the <<pgr>> card)
still, its really not good if we keep constantly praising PGR for their technical perfection.
because you know what? it was not perfect. in fact, it was far from perfect technically.
and also had its faults in gameplay.
was it a fantastic series? was it beautiful? was it the one game with the best representation of cities and racing in cities? was it (probably) the best arcade racing series at its time? well, hell yes to all of the above!

but if bizarre creations still existed and was pumping out PGR5 or whatever, I would seriously judge their judgement to not go with a faster refresh rate, or upping their gameplay in some parts like collisions with obstacles and even physics.

its end of 2014... stuff has happened since 2005-2007

Hoo-doo

Banned

Is this some new pathetic gamer crusade you're trying to start?
Jesus christ man, if 30FPS is such a horrible turnoff for you then simply pass on the game. We don't need this garbage in every single thread about Driveclub. I see you've got our resident frame-evangelist Thrakier in your wake too. Joy.

PGR is the best racing franchise i've played. Best handling, best gameplay, most fun i've had with a digital car. 30FPS. It's probably unplayable in your eyes. Same can be said for dozens of other fantastic non-60FPS racers.
Who's the one missing out here, exactly?

Perhaps it's not us who are wrong, maybe it's you. Get the fuck over yourselves instead of acting like some righteous asshole who's here to dictate right from wrong.
Vote with your wallet, like we all do.

The game looks simply amazing and I probably wouldn't have picked up a PS4 recently without this coming up. I don't really get the positive comments on the engine sound though. Sounds quite generic to me...

Erolsky

Banned
I played Mario Kart 8 in 60 FPS and 30 FPS. Lol the difference is HUGE. Damn. The only exception for a racing game not being 60 FPS is, when its open world or with destructable enviorment.

KingJ2002

Driveclub is not a racing simulation title like Gran Turismo or Forza Motorsport but rather an Arcade style racer closer to PGR where driving with style is key.

Different flavors for racing titles but I believe that Sony might offer the most complete package from any publisher as far as racing goes

• Gran Turismo
  • Driveclub
  • Motorstorm
  • Wipeout
Can't go wrong with any of these games

p3tran

Banned
I never played those games. I think the last 30fps racer I bought on consoles could've been Motorstorm. I did get Apocalypse on PS+, but i never put serious time in it.

forza horizon on 360 is the best example of good 30 frames with low input latency.
have you played that? everything else not 60 (including pgr) stacks below it.

The game looks simply amazing and I probably wouldn't have picked up a PS4 recently without this coming up. I don't really get the positive comments on the engine sound though. Sounds quite generic to me...

What do you mean by "generic"? That seems like an odd word to describe car sounds that have been captured from various points around the car. I believe BMW and Mercedes even asked Evo for a copy of their recordings to replace their own.

I played Mario Kart 8 in 60 FPS and 30 FPS. Lol the difference is HUGE. Damn. The only exception for a racing game not being 60 FPS is, when its open world or with destructable enviorment.

Says who?

I bet that I have played multiples of time PGR (1,2,3 and 4) than you have.
still, its really not good if we keep constantly praising PGR for their technical perfection.
because you know what? it was not perfect. in fact, it was far from perfect technically.
and also had its faults in gameplay.
was it a fantastic series? was it beautiful? was it the one game with the best representation of cities and racing in cities? was it (probably) the best arcade racing series at its time? well, hell yes to all of the above!

but if bizarre creations still existed and was pumping out PGR5 or whatever, I would seriously judge their judgement to not go with a faster refresh rate, or upping their gameplay in some parts like collisions with obstacles and even physics.

its end of 2014... stuff has happened since 2005-2007
Sorry, I guess I wasnt quite clear. The point I was trying to make wasnt on the technical side but wether or not 30 fps racers can be fun.

I totally agree that all games should give a high and stable framerate high priority, but concerning Driveclub the devs have already made the choice to go for a locked 30 fps and I guess all we can do is have the most fun we can with the game and give Evolution tons of
intelligent
feedback that 60 fps is definetly the way to go with whatever they're making next.

jett

D-Member
forza horizon on 360 is the best example of good 30 frames with low input latency.
have you played that? everything else not 60 (including pgr) stacks below it.

Yeah no, the only game I've played on Xbox was SF4. :p

My problem has nothing to do with input latency, I can play 30fps racers just fine. High motion speed in 30fps bothers me some, that's all.

I never played those games. I think the last 30fps racer I bought on consoles could've been Motorstorm. I did get Apocalypse on PS+, but i never put serious time in it.
Ah, well at least you have PS+ and can give Driveclub a try without having to invest any additional money into it ;)

assuming you still have PS+

My problem has nothing to do with input latency, I can play 30fps racers just fine. High motion speed in 30fps bothers me some, that's all.
Yeah I can see that being a problem (Mario Kart 8 kinda hurts in 4player splitscreen, due to the low framerate).

But I also think the problem can be helped by applying good motion blur.
See PGR4 (skip to ca 1:15 for the high speed section) (the game runs at 30fps, but you can still switch the video player to 60fps)

p3tran

Banned

trust me, part of the problem you find in high speed motion, is input latency.
your brain can piece together the blurry frames that come at high speeds, each depicting 2 or 3 meters difference from the next, and make sense. but if the input is accepted only every 2 or 3 meters, then it makes it feel even more sluggish.
what forza did/does, is have the input and physics run at multiples of screen refresh rate, so when your brain finally syncs, at least your input is ..appreciated ;)

@wavering radiant:
yes, I can agree to the "fun" part. I already wrote above that -like most of us- I have played great games @30 and stupid games @60 :)

What do you mean by "generic"? That seems like an odd word to describe car sounds that have been captured from various points around the car. I believe BMW and Mercedes even asked Evo for a copy of their recordings to replace their own.

I haven't heard enough of the cars to give a fair final judgement but it seemed to me they were lacking "oomph". Especially the Zonda R sounded nothing like the real thing. That is based on some of the older videos though.

I am mostly planning to use RUFs, so I hope they can nail those!

Famassu

Dude, you talk about strawmen arguments and then pull them out of your ass by the fuckton.

Forums are meant for discussions and discussions often have differing POVs. If the perception is generally positive towards some game and someone shits on it, I don't see why it's so unreasonable for people to answer to those posts, especially when they are so badly argumented as that post you are defending.

Yeah, 30fps is objectively worse than 60fps, but 30 fps doesn't make games unplayable for a vast majority of gamers nor does it make a game objectively bad. The rest of his arguments are just plain silly. Since when does not having real-life tracks make a game bad? Haven't you played those same tracks for a million times in other racing games, so why should DriveClub limit itself with the kind of tracks it can have to only real-life stuff? Isn't it actually MORE WORK to come up with tracks that don't exist in real life, so why does he make it sound like Evolution are being lazy when they don't just go to an existing track or borrow Polyphony Digitals information of their real-life tracks? Imaginary/inspired by real life locations tracks aren't inherently worse than real-life tracks, if anything they can be tons better since they aren't limited by some stuff that limit real-life locations.

I'd rather have the semi-imaginary Norwegian, Indian & Canadian tracks in DriveClub vs. it having yet another version of Nürburgring and other real-life tracks. His arguments are also contradicting, since he whines about not having real-life tracks yet in the same post he also complains about the tracks being closed (as if real-life tracks are open, off-road types of races).

50 cars is also plenty of cars. Not every racing game in existence has to have GT & Forza levels of cars represented, so I'm not seeing why, exactly, this is such a huge problem for DriveClub. Most people will probably not even try most of the cars even if the number is as "low" as 50. Wipeout HD only having a few "manufacturers" and slight variations to each of their vehicles doesn't mean it's not one of the best racing games of all time. The important thing is to have enough variation in what kind of cars there are and how they handle in comparison to each other, but you won't die and the game isn't any worse off just because it doesn't have every slightly changed model of some Ferrari sports car line.

oh well, I guess the topic almost managed 500 posts.

The problem with the 30/60 debate is that everyone got sick of it months ago. Everyone knows its not ideal but some think the trade was worth it and some don't. The reason people jump on those bringing it up over and over again is that we seriously don't need every thread on the game massively derailed by it.

Did they say if this game would have drifting events or not?
As far as I know tracks will sometimes contain drifting challenges within them, but I haven't seen any specific drift events yet.

Game4life

Banned
How about people focus on gameplay instead of 30fps vs 60fps. I mean we can have this argument in ever single 30fps game thread if this debate is going to continue for this game. I really dont get why this argument is still happening when the dev's already stated that it is 30fps so long back.

jett

D-Member
Yeah I can see that being a problem (Mario Kart 8 kinda hurts in 4player splitscreen, due to the low framerate).

But I also think the problem can be helped by applying good motion blur.
See PGR4 (skip to ca 1:15 for the high speed section) (the game runs at 30fps, but you can still switch the video player to 60fps)

That looks pretty good there.

trust me, part of the problem you find in high speed motion, is input latency.
your brain can piece together the blurry frames that come at high speeds, each depicting 2 or 3 meters difference from the next, and make sense. but if the input is accepted only every 2 or 3 meters, then it makes it feel even more sluggish.
what forza did/does, is have the input and physics run at multiples of screen refresh rate, so when your brain finally syncs, at least your input is ..appreciated ;)

@wavering radiant:
yes, I can agree to the "fun" part. I already wrote above that -like most of us- I have played great games @30 and stupid games @60 :)

Well if you say so. :p

Top Bottom