• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fix for PS3 infinite update loop?

So I just recently picked up Terraria on the PS4, and I started up my PS3 to upload my old save. The PS3 couldn't connect to PSN but it had firmware 4.80 downloaded, so I figured I'd need to install it before it would let me connect to the network. Around halfway through the update process it will fail and give an error '8002F1F9', which from what I can gather is the code for a bad WiFi/Bluetooth chip. The bad part is the console is in an infinite loop of trying to upgrade, failing, restarting, and trying to upgrade again.

At this point I'd be content with just being able to get my saves off of it (Or really just this Terraria save). Anyone have any tips on how to get around the update loop or at the very least know of a way to recover the save files?

Could see your thread sinking so I thought I'd chime in even though I'm no expert.

Have you tried safe mode, that involves holding the power button for a long time?

Also I think you can install the update from a USB key while offline. Also through safe mode I guess.

ddikxela

If that error is for wifi/bt module error:

Do you have fat PS3 or slim??

Fat PS3 has a wifi board(& ribbon) you can swap out with a working version from another fat ps3. - very easy just by following any google teardown guide

Slim ps3 have wifi/bt sub boards you need profession gear to swap/fix(not worth it).*

*If you really, really need your saves, check if your slim can be modded and run a modded firmware.

Just in case anyone comes across this issue in the future, I was able to get around the faulty hardware, update the console, and upload all my saves to the cloud.

To get the console out of the upgrade loop I had to unplug the power, open up the case and disconnect the power supply. (I also tried to blow out any dust with compressed air but that didn't seem to help the WiFi/Bluetooth module as the controller still needed to be connected via USB to function). After reattaching the power supply and plugging the console back in, the initial boot went back into the upgrade process but this time it didn't fail. So at this point the console had upgraded to firmware 4.6.

However, with 4.6 I still couldn't connect it to the internet, so I had to try to initiate another update to take it to the latest version (4.8). I downloaded the latest firmware to a USB drive and loaded the update file from USB, but that also got stuck in an update loop (The update would stop around ~60% and fail with the 8002F1F9 hardware error code). So I did the same as before (Unplug the console, open the case and disconnect the power supply for 10 minutes or so). After reattaching the power supply and starting the console back up it again went right to the update screen, but it completed successfully. So now I had it upgraded to the latest firmware and could connect to the internet via ethernet to upload all my saves to the cloud.

No idea why unplugging the power would cause the subsequent upgrade attempt to complete successfully, it's as if during this specific circumstance the OS doesn't do a hardware check when finishing the update process. I'm not sure at this point how many people may find any use out of this, but I haven't seen any other reported fixes for this error without replacing the motherboard or WiFi module.

(Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through for a save file, but damnit I wasn't about to lose that 500+ hour save).

Top Bottom