• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flight Simulator passes 10 Million players

Thebonehead

Banned

Not bad for a niche game

Some other stats:
  • 500 million flights
  • 40 billion miles flown
  • Equivalent of 10 million trips around the Earth
  • Equivalent of 200 round trips from Earth to sun
Looks stunning in VR and really why I've been trying to get hold of a 4090 so I can just crank up the settings without having to compromise.

graywolf323

I'm curious what the mean & median for playtime is among those players

I dabbled a bit but quickly realized it really wasn't for me so I probably have less than an hour in the game, Game Pass is nice for being able to try things like this out but I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of players are similar to my experience

Last edited:

ManaByte

I’d love to see a MS space simulator. Similar to flight sim but..yea you get it. Elite dangerous but with a big budget.
OIP.oannx5nQ1JMPfj22-s8ijgHaI_

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I've never been into flight sims, but I tried this out when my son downloaded it on his Xbox and.......I'm still not into them. If your an aviation nut then I see the appeal and it must be a real thrill, but I can't get into it. It does look amazing, I'll give it that.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If I post my address, can one of you fly over my house? I think I left my garage door open.
I will buzz the tower and look

I had my neighbor kid believing that not only was the weather real time but I could see him when he was outside, he said he was always waving up at the sky when he was outside, he was about 10 at the time

damidu

9.5 million of them probably spent more time installing it compared to playing.

remainder doing all the statistics in the tweet.

What is the number if you subtract people that played it for less than 3 hours?

The interesting thing here is pilots and enthusiasts for aviation are just as addictive as "true gamers/genres", some log hours or certs for craft etc for their pilot occupation. It's quite common for a player to log hundreds and thousands of hours, just like whales in a traditional video game. See M1chl M1chl post above.

Sure, there's the casuals, just like my daughter and myself, we'd be in dozens or maybe 100+ hours all up. It happens with any game. Take a look at GoW Ragnarok or Halo, they achieve like 30% story completion early on and rarely push past 50% of players ever completing the game at all. The industry wide metrics are quite similar in how it plays out per title, even whacky old "not really a game" MS Flight.

When you look at some numbers of just pilots in the world -

It is estimated that there are between 1.5 and 2.3 million pilots in the world. In the USA, there are 734,911 pilots including civilians and military. Of those: 160,860 are private pilots; 103,879 are commercial pilots; 43,300 are military pilots (19,100 Air Force); and 58,541 are female pilots.

Now factor in aviation enthusiasts, uncertified pilots training, gamers, pandemic lockdowns, streamers, reviewers etc etc. It's a 40-year-old franchise, it deserves some respect with insanely technical standards beyond anything any game has ever sustained for 4 decades and a very closely monitored industry. Given the success and innovation in the current version of Flight the studio has delivered a truly one-of-a-kind game engine. At some point basically every single one of those pilots has been in Flight for extended periods, for 40 years.

Mark my words the world and backend systems in Flight are going to become gaming industry standards or at least kickstart/leapfrog such integrated cloud technology to streamline and automate much of game development pipelines and dynamic worlds that games inhabit these days. It is far easier and resource saving to apply algorithms, shaders, geo-mods etc over these real-world systems to deliver a "real game" outside of Flight sims and into other games genres. Take the Maverick DLC and make that an arcade game, boom, shit is waiting for a studio to pick that up and make the "game part". Populate all mountains over 5,000 with a dragon egg on top. Weather systems swing with variations over real time ones e.g. make small real storms into raging electrical storms that damage players or alter terrain when striking.

There are real gaming opportunities here from the innovation Asobo have delivered with Flight. I foresee an Unreal add-on coming for Flight systems. I just hope licensing and adoption with a little vision makes my predictions a reality. These sorts of automated cloud systems are becoming intrinsic and even almost mandatory to deliver large scale games online these days, irrespective of the actual game mechanics or genre.

If one was to have a little vision and resources things like the metaverse and AR are ripe for Asobo tech to expand into.

EDIT: Case in point, a number of Asobo staff become certified pilots during working on Flight. Asobo's CEO just got his private pilot's licence recently as well.

EDIT2: Here's a little stat for you, Flight related accessories at $2.5Billion over 3 years, with a B for Billion on just hardware accessories e.g. flight sticks, pedals, controls. That's not your casuals claim of less than 3 hours total played buying all that hardware for years, it's the aviation/enthusiast hardcore going all in all the time.

EDIT3: Here's just the Steam stats for Flight, Xbox would be larger, as we've seen with all first party titles from MS.

MRIQMSN.png

Average total playtime and session times are massive, that's the nature of having to fly real flights to train/log your pilot hours. Now find and add Xbox stats to these.

Last edited:

Darchaos

I love this simulator sooo much, i think its amazing everytime i take-off and loves every minute off it, sometimes its just hard to belive its not real. I even bought equipment for it, trying to learn to fly as realistic as its possible for my smal brain to achive:) If its one game i see myself play until the day i cant play anymore, its this.

One thing i wont to add, that for me is so nice with this. When i was 13 me and my parents moved to the outskirts of a small town in sweden, so we lived on the countryside. I got to meet 3 other people in my age that lived there too, well, it was a couple of km between us, but we could walk or whatever to meet. So for the next 4 years or so we more or less got together everyday after school and other commitment we migh had, i played fotball alot for example. So anyway, we just had an amazing time, we fished, build woodhouses in the forest, made hockeyrinks on the frozen lake etc etc, just an amazing time of my life even though it was hell at home with a mother drinking and just beeing evil. We groove up, moved away but still got together and all that, but not in the same way.

What i can do nowadays is to take a bushplane and fly from my current hometown, fly it to my childhood countryside, put it down on an akre and just sit there and remember everything and getting a feeling of actually beeing there again in my head, more then once had i have actual tears from my eyes, tears of joy and memorys. Good times

Last edited:
Flight Sun will always have a place in my heart because it takes me back to the time of the CD-ROM and 3DFX. PC gaming was so exciting then. Every year things kept forward.

Last edited:

Mr1999

Yeah, bought the deluxe on day 1, it's the only game that I would permit taking up 305 GB of my main sk hynix p41 drive. I just wish for more study sims and maybe next level scenery, wish there was more, but that's not a complaint either im sure eventually it will reach that. I want space simulator like mentioned here. I guess there's always kerbal space program 2 which is due out soon.

Last edited:

Not bad for a niche game

Some other stats:
  • 500 million flights
  • 40 billion miles flown
  • Equivalent of 10 million trips around the Earth
  • Equivalent of 200 round trips from Earth to sun
Looks stunning in VR and really why I've been trying to get hold of a 4090 so I can just crank up the settings without having to compromise.

point-hehe.gif

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I’m also part of the club that installed this >100GB game only to fly around the house and then uninstall 🤣

But it’s because I told myself that I will give this game justice when I finish my renovations at home in the basement and setup again my warthog HOTAS + TrackIR 5 / VR to give this a real spin.

i was enjoying it until the xbox version came out. i play on PC but they messed about with the PC version and changed how some things control. i'd love to get back into it but i found the changes frustrating.

Top Bottom