• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floods provoke a Wagga-Wagga-wide web (Arachnophobes beware!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

RTR2YWP1.jpg

No - it's not a scene from Arachnophobia or Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. These spiders have escaped the floodwaters inundating the town of Wagga Wagga in New South Wales, Australia, by moving to higher ground and building massive networks of interconnected webs over raised sticks and bushes. They have covered entire fields with snow-like coverings. Meanwhile, the floodwaters show no sign of subsiding from the town, declared a disaster area: 9000 people have been evacuated.

The town has experienced its highest rainfall on record, at 188 millimetres in the week from 27 February, 40 millimetres higher than the previous record. The flood itself is the worst in Wagga Wagga since 1853, although the State Emergency Service has said that the Murrumbidgee river is unlikely to cause further flooding by bursting its levee.

Flooding is also widespread in Queensland and Victoria, and The Sydney Morning Herald warned today that the deluge could go on for a month.

Story Here

Satch

Banned
i just would like to say thank you to Gaborn for curing my arachnophobia

before Gaborn's spider threads, i used to be terrified of even seeing images of tiny jumping spiders

but now, because of him, i am healed and spiders are fucking awesome

Thank you Based Gaborn

Awesome. I'm from that area originally, so it's good to see it getting some love on the Internet.

Even if I am glad I'm not there when they start fighting back. I saw Eight-Legged Freaks.

I think this is fascinating.

This type of communal web building was seen at Tawakoni State Park here in Texas in 2007, where they build what was then the world's largest communal web:

20120306-eyqe3h72q5cif4rab8q2fiqnnj.jpg

20120306-bskast9gygsyu8tjniq7m5ff3c.jpg

The strategy paid off for the spiders, because in rather short order, the snow-white webbing over everything was soon brown with the bodies of millions and millions of trapped mosquitos.

That hunting instinct could be what is triggering this activity in Australia. After all, after the flooding, those areas are going to be filled with breeding bugs.

Jeff-DSA

Let the spiders have Australia. It's proper punishment for them always coming up with stupid names for places and things.

MRORANGE

I think this is fascinating.

This type of communal web building was seen at Tawakoni State Park here in Texas in 2007, where they build what was then the world's largest communal web:

20120306-eyqe3h72q5cif4rab8q2fiqnnj.jpg

20120306-bskast9gygsyu8tjniq7m5ff3c.jpg

The strategy paid off for the spiders, because in rather short order, the snow-white webbing over everything was soon brown with the bodies of millions and millions of trapped mosquitos.

That hunting instinct could be what is triggering this activity in Australia. After all, after the flooding, those areas are going to be filled with breeding bugs.

clever girls?

My rational side is saying

"Yo, this is pretty cool, and spiders help control pests like mosquitos"

but my primitive side sees all the black and the legs and the crawlies and screams

"FIRE FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRE AARGGGGHH BURN BURN"

dejay

Banned
Remember kiddies, these aren't unusual quantities of spiders - these were all within walking distance of each other. You just don't normally see them. Spiders are everywhere! There's probably one crawling up the back of your chair as you read this, heading towards your neck.

Mordeccai

I just moved a big ass spider out of my sisters bedroom because it was 12:30 am and she was screaming bloody murder and pissing me off.

Printing off some of these pictures and placing them under her door may just be the payback I need.

danwarb

I thought I was okay around spiders, but found myself jumping about yesterday when I had one, and not a very big one, creep up on me.

It went under a table, so I tucked my trousers into my socks to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom