• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

iamcenok

Orlando here. Lost power at midnight.

Power was going pretty strong till then.
In the middle of a destiny 2 strike with a friend.

But aside from the gross heat inside. We're all good. Thankfully.

I just dumped all of my ice in a cooler and put some perishables in there.

molotrok

Here in the southern most part of KIssimmee, the worst part of Irma passed about an hour ago. We're still getting some strong gusts every now and then though. We havent lost electricity, but I did see a transformer blow up to the west of us. The storm did knock down a good part of our fence, hopefully Lowes or HD are open tomorrow so we can fix it and the dog can be let out.

Wind and rain have been steadily picking up in Jax. Hearing branches and trees come down in the surrounding neighborhoods. Just spent the last hour digging trenches so that the side of my folks house would stop trying to flood. A little dicey for a while, but we got the water flowing before the rain worsened.

The ground is absolutely saturated already, and with these gusts I wouldn't be surprised if a lot more trees come down.

Finally downgraded to a Category 1. Most buildings in Florida should be able to withstand those winds. The problem still comes from rising waters and the possibility of tornados. But it seems the worst is behind Florida, and now it's going to be nasty weather.

Man I live near Birmingham AL,
Grandparents called my mom and got pissed she was low on gas and didn't have water for an emergency.

So I go to pick some stuff up for her at Walmart....

all the bread including buns are gone
not a single pack or jug of water
all the cheap pizzas(Totino's, etc)are all cleared out
all the Walmart brand sodas are gone with Coke and Pepsi nearly there as well
all the premade sandwiches near the Deli are gone
chips, juice and milk are nearly gone

I have never seen anything like it, even when you tell people here heavy snow is coming they don't do that much.

Lost power around 8:30 PM in Windermere. Seems like a T-Mobile tower also went down as I have borderline zero reception, only one small corner of my house gets any signal at all and it's incredibly spotty.

Was barely able to post this.

Man I live near Birmingham AL,
Grandparents called my mom and got pissed she was low on gas and didn't have water for an emergency.

So I go to pick some stuff up for her at Walmart....

all the bread including buns are gone
not a single pack or jug of water
all the cheap pizzas(Totino's, etc)are all cleared out
all the Walmart brand sodas are gone with Coke and Pepsi nearly there as well
all the premade sandwiches near the Deli are gone
chips, juice and milk are nearly gone

I have never seen anything like it, even when you tell people here heavy snow is coming they don't do that much.
Even Amazon has a 13 day back log for orders. Don't expect there to be much on the shelves for at least week. However, relief organizations and trucks should be moving into areas relatively quickly. You should be able to pick up bottled water and ready-to-eat-meals.

Gas isn't a big deal if she doesn't need to go anywhere. There will probably be a gas station or two getting trucks in, but expect extremely long lines for a week.

The only problem with water is when the power goes out and the city calls for a boil water order. Obviously, boiling water is a bit more complicated. As long as she has some bleach, she can decontaminate her water. You'll have to look up the ratio, I don't know it.

Honestly, she'll probably make it just fine for a few days as long as she still has power. Losing power makes it more complicated. But she can still head to a shelter if need be.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I had some water seep through the bead of my house (this is where the 1st floor meets the 2nd). One window pooled water a little bit, and about 10 inches of drywall bubbled and got ruined. That's what I see on the inside so far.

Other windows in that same area (front of the house) had some minor wet spots around the frame/dry wall and some minor streaks of water running down. Sucks, but it's super minor.

I'm either going to call the builder (I had this same issue in the back of the house during Hurricane Matthew) and ask them to fix this please, because they assured me they ran a new line of sealant all around the bead of the house...which they clearly didn't. Or have my buddy do it for me.

weekev

Banned
Finally downgraded to a Category 1. Most buildings in Florida should be able to withstand those winds. The problem still comes from rising waters and the possibility of tornados. But it seems the worst is behind Florida, and now it's going to be nasty weather.
Great news. Hopefully the rising water isn't too bad. The way the water disappeared from the bays yesterday makes me think surges and rising waters are definitely gonna be an issue but this isn't Floridas first rodeo so you'd hope the infrastructure was there to deal with this from here on in.

Even Amazon has a 13 day back log for orders. Don't expect there to be much on the shelves for at least week. However, relief organizations and trucks should be moving into areas relatively quickly. You should be able to pick up bottled water and ready-to-eat-meals.

Gas isn't a big deal if she doesn't need to go anywhere. There will probably be a gas station or two getting trucks in, but expect extremely long lines for a week.

The only problem with water is when the power goes out and the city calls for a boil water order. Obviously, boiling water is a bit more complicated. As long as she has some bleach, she can decontaminate her water. You'll have to look up the ratio, I don't know it.

Honestly, she'll probably make it just fine for a few days as long as she still has power. Losing power makes it more complicated. But she can still head to a shelter if need be.

Oh she should definitely be fine by the time it gets here(besides those potential tornadoes which is always an issue here.)
but I just found it being like that crazy with how far out we are from the real stuff.

witness

Almost through the worst of it here near Maitland. Wife, in laws, 4 dogs all asleep
while me and my 9 year old haven't slept at all though. Neither one of us can until we know its safe. Its actually been a great father-son bonding time the past few hours. Ready for this monster to go away so we can begin the wait for electricity.

matt360

How're things in Volusia and the Daytona area? My family's over there and I haven't heard anything in a while (I'm in Japan, and I assume they're just asleep). Did it get hit hard? Power out?

cntr

Banned
http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/10/media/miami-herald-hurricane-irma/index.html

As Hurricane Irma made landfall in south Florida, the offices of the Miami Herald played dueling roles: a working newsroom and a shelter for journalists and their families.

"We told people if they had nowhere to go, to come here," Rick Hirsch, managing editor of the Herald, told CNNMoney. "If you intend to bring a pet, the official policy was don't talk to me about it."

Housed in the former headquarters of the US Southern Command, the Herald newsroom is perhaps one of the safest places in the Miami area to ride out Hurricane Irma. The walls are built of concrete. The windows are bulletproof, designed to withstand an impact as forceful as an RPG blast. Four heavy-duty backup generators could power the building and printing press for up to 10 days in the event electricity were go to out. And the building is connected to the Internet through four different service providers, all but ensuring the newsroom will remain online through the powerful storm.

Herald journalists, well aware of the building's ruggedness, chose to take advantage of the fact that they work in a literal fortress. In total, about 30 staffers and their families streamed into the newsroom on Friday night and Saturday morning, looking for a safe place to work and stay for the duration of the storm.

By late Saturday afternoon, blankets littered the office space. Families occupied vacant rooms. Children passed time playing video games.

That's not to say work wasn't getting done. The newsroom was fully staffed and provided its readers with 'round-the-clock coverage of Hurricane Irma. But having family close by and safe certainly helped ease the nerves of journalists providing their community the latest updates on the hurricane's path and the damage it could do to their city.

[...]

Even reporters from other news outlets, including NPR and The New York Times, chose to hunker down in the Herald's newsroom as Irma battered the state with high winds, pounding rain, and dangerous storm surge. [More in link.]
Thought this was kind of cute. Glad to know they have somewhere to hide out.

Christ, half of our neighbor's tree fell into our yard. At least her chimney took the brunt of the damage.

Hopefully others have gone through this hurricane unscathed.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Feels somewhat quite outside in Broward, waiting for daylight so I can go outside and access the damage. One of the unclosed shutter's awnings pole got ripped off the outside wall.

These reporters man, just green screen them into the storm. Turn on a fan and a sprinkler, then throw some objects at them in the studio for added effect.

sinkfla87

Man, I've always wanted to work on a sketch comedy show and this is damn good material. Just put someone acting as a reporter in a wire rig in front of a green screen and simulate them flying around 50+ feet in the air in a cyclone. Have them deliver their lines as calmly as possible.

"As you can see the winds have really picked up now, Jim. For safety measures, we have tied a rope to some steel beams that are inside of the combination Dairy Queen/Circle K in case things get too crazy out here."

Smidget

Lots of branches down but haven't walked around yet. Still pretty windy here in Winter Springs. Sounds like some gutters down too. And the lack of power is always miserable.

singhr1

Jacksonville. Woke up from the heavy wind and rain. No idea when power went out. Water still doing ok. Reports showing >450K without power in North Florida.

Sounds terrifying outside, especially in the dark.

Also from what ive read it looks like debris is blocking a lot of roads around here.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Quiet here in Lutz/Wesley Chapel.

Did a walk around the house again, everything is intact, including our solar panel on the roof. Remarkable. And we still have power.

For a storm that had the highest sustained force on record for a record amount of time, we have been truly spared and blessed to see what relatively little damage there is (as of now)

weekev

Banned
Wow.

Windermere north England???

image.php

Moaradin

Seems like the worst of it has passed over here in Land O Lakes. Lost cell reception and internet for a bit, but power never went down outside of a few flickers here and there.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Way more of us here in Lando/Lutz/Chapel than I thought. Good to hear from you all

I have never wanted Waffle House more than I do right now

Top Bottom