• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Alpharetta here. North of Atlanta. High winds and rain occasionally but honestly nothing beyond what we've had during a bad thunderstorm. Maybe worse is to come so we'll see...

Just got power back up in Windermere after losing it around 8 pm last night, besides some poorly put up fences and mosquito screening falling down, neighborhood seems much as before.

My folks called me. They said locals have been having to go to places like Wal Mart or the like to find cell phone service. Here is the jist of what they saw;

1. Lots of Flooding
  2. A LOT of trees are down in the Southern Naples area. Reported gusts where around 140MPH.
  3. Their area is expected to get power/utilities back online around 2-3 weeks.
  4. Everyone nearby them is fine, just a lot of debris and downed trees

When they asked about the news in regards to other places in Florida, I told them some of the problems posters in this thread have seen. Boats on US-1, and Macro Island being flooded with storm surge.

When they went outside today, they were surprised by all of the debris and tree damage. They claimed to not hear any loud wind gusts or the like with how thickly built their condo is + storm shudders. They are trying to figure out how to manage their food situation for that 2-3 week time estimate.

Now, I have a package headed to them which I suspect is in a UPS depot in Ft. Myers. I am hoping and wanting it to reach them, I wonder if there is anything I can do to get it to them?

And power is back in Kirkman, Orlando. This fucking hurricane ruined my weekend. I go back to work tomorrow.

The only damage I've notice is a rain gutter on one of the buildings. And a stray that hangs around the dumpster surprisingly made it through.

Vyrance

My sister and brother-in-law drove by my house in ft pierce and told me everything looked fine, so hopefully didn't get water inside after all.

Rixxan

If anyone knows of any places open for dinner in Orlando tonight please let me know (searched twitter but without much success)

I know it's a long shot

Lkr

If anyone knows of any places open for dinner in Orlando tonight please let me know (searched twitter but without much success)

I know it's a long shot
Where are you at in Orlando? Also looking for somewhere to eat in the UCF area. Apparently Waffle House is open lol

Ponn

Banned
My folks called me. They said locals have been having to go to places like Wal Mart or the like to find cell phone service. Here is the jist of what they saw;

1. Lots of Flooding
  2. A LOT of trees are down in the Southern Naples area. Reported gusts where around 140MPH.
  3. Their area is expected to get power/utilities back online around 2-3 weeks.
  4. Everyone nearby them is fine, just a lot of debris and downed trees

When they asked about the news in regards to other places in Florida, I told them some of the problems posters in this thread have seen. Boats on US-1, and Macro Island being flooded with storm surge.

When they went outside today, they were surprised by all of the debris and tree damage. They claimed to not hear any loud wind gusts or the like with how thickly built their condo is + storm shudders. They are trying to figure out how to manage their food situation for that 2-3 week time estimate.

Now, I have a package headed to them which I suspect is in a UPS depot in Ft. Myers. I am hoping and wanting it to reach them, I wonder if there is anything I can do to get it to them?

Thanks for the update. I was trying to be positive and think my sisters cell phone service is down so it looks like that may be the case. I'm positive they are probably flooded too so can't leave. I'm just hoping their roof didn't cave in or anything else and they are safe.

Just got home after like 36 hours awake and working. Marco Island is without power, very little cell service and there are areas still flooded, but no wind/water related casualties. The City did a fuck-ton of good with very little staff, but a lot of support from the surrounding community.

Finally made it home, no water or wind damage. Thank FSM. We are without power bit water is still on. Do I'll consider this a win. I'm so fucking tired I can't think straight. I will always get to say I was in the eye of the storm. Which isn't worth a hot shower, tell you what.

Stay safe everyone and thanks for all the support and kind words.

I'll post some pics and vids when I get to some WiFi

Thanks for the update. I was trying to be positive and think my sisters cell phone service is down so it looks like that may be the case. I'm positive they are probably flooded too so can't leave. I'm just hoping their roof didn't cave in or anything else and they are safe.

Try not to worry. Hopefully they are able to get into a car and move to a location that has cell phone service. My folks place is also 10 miles from the cost, so by flooding, based on what they told me, sounds like ponding on the road ways. Which did happen to them on the road outside their condo-- but it did not enter their condo. The canal to the ocean 2miles from them? Probably really bloated with water, but they where able to get over the bridge and to a local walmart down the street:

Walmart Supercenter
5420 Juliet Blvd
(239) 254-8310
CLOSED TODAY

This one is probably the one they went to. Just FYI for anyone near Immokalee road, try using this Wal-Marts parking lot to make phone calls.

Javaman

I can't believe how big this storm is. I'm west of central South Carolina and we're getting some strong outer bands. The Eye is extremely far away and we've got winds up to 35 mph and tons of rain. Lots of power flickers but no loss at my house yet. Some areas in town though aren't so lucky. I've heard at least 4 transformers blow (or just their fuse). I can't imagine what you guys Sw of us had to deal with.

Just heard back from my formers neighbors in Lakeland (about half way between Tampa and Orlando) and everything there seems to have held up pretty well. Hoping the best for everyone else.

sinkfla87

Looks like my area is going to be okay for the most part. Winds and rain but nothing too crazy. Things seem to be getting back to normal, rude assholes and all lol.

Im alive. The cell tower next to my house blew and a tree fell but no damage. Still no power

Kings Wok in Longwood is open so Im waiting in line for food.

nillapuddin

Fort Myers we back

Cars are good, building is good, we're good.

Can't believe we lost power for less than 24 hours. After Charlie it took 15 days to get power back.

Eyewall was legit scary tho, reminded me of being in it during Charlie (got direct hit both times), lucky to get out clean.

Tevious

So my family in Florida (West Pasco County) went back to their homes after riding out the storm together at my aunt's home in higher elevation. They were just west of the eye when it passed by them there. My mother is one of the lucky ones that still has power. TV and internet are down, though. She said her neighborhood looks fine, just some small branches and debris scattered about. Her home was built from wood (no concrete blocks or bricks), if Irma had hit Florida when it was still a cat. 5 her house probably would have been decimated. On the way home, my mother said she saw downed pine trees and there were some road closures.

Wood Man

Hollywood Fl here. We got power back around 10AM this morning. I think we got lucky since our complex is right next to the police station, fire department, courthouse and water plant. I guess we're in a high priority area.

We drove around earlier to access the damage around us. One car in our complex had a tree fall on it. Crews got here very quick to clean up road ways and debris. These guys moved fast and it's actually quite incredible how organized it's been.

Most Publix opened up around noon today. I went to buy a few things (namely beer).

Yesterday was pretty crazy but I'm surprised it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Mow I'm going to sit back and enjoy some beer. I'm drained.

mrmickfran

Scrolling my Facebook and seeing a good number of my friends have power while I'm still waiting.

I'm not salty, I'm not salty at all.

South Orlando here.

Hey,
Anyone near downtown ft lauderdale out exploring??

My brother lives in a group home, but we've yet to hear back from the staff. If anyone wants to drive by and give me a visual update on how it looks, it's be greatly appreciated. My brother is non verbal, so we can't contact him directly. I'll pm the address.

Lkr

My whole neighborhood is in the dark still but no damage. My buddy told me his place in Lake Mary is in the process of getting it back right now and invited me over to recharge there when it's up. Just gotta decide if the roads are worth it to try. I assume 417 would be shut down if it was bad and curfew has been lifted in both orange and seminole

Linkura

Whats the latest on Jose? Any projections towards land?

205936_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Top Bottom