• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

If you are drinking tap water on a regular basis and not dead, then don't worry about your tap water. We are not a third world country in FL, lot of our water is perfectly fine, and many of you probably have filtered water taps and systems in your own home.

I'm actually in southwood. The apartment is pretty new so I should be fine because of building codes I'd guess. Some of those Southwood places that are in dips look like perfect spots for flooding though.

Yeah, those areas at the bottom of the hill of Blairstone, past the CVS, are in for a bad time should Tally get hit. But, if all hell breaks loose you're right next to the State's EOC bunker on Esplanade and Shumard Oak Blvd. It's rated to handle a Cat5

Publix on Citrus Tower Blvd in Clermont just got some water in as I got there. Not sure how long it'll last though (I also doubt many people live in or near Clermont lol).

javadoze

As if I needed any more justification to move away from FL. Wilma was probably the worst hurricane I can remember and that took out the power for about 2-3 weeks and wrecked the area I was in.

Stay safe, everyone.

Stress. What's the best way to secure/protect a vehicle parked outside? Parking garage?

If that parking garage is concrete then maybe yes. But I would also be concerned about storm surge and where you are exactly. If I were in your shoes and I really wanted to protect it, I might evacuate the car. Unless you are intending to stay, in which case, find a concrete garage inland, and try to park on anything but the 1st floor.

I'm actually in southwood. The apartment is pretty new so I should be fine because of building codes I'd guess. Some of those Southwood places that are in dips look like perfect spots for flooding though.
Yep. Those apartments right on capital circle near the light on orange avenue would be gone.

Awe, poor guy. I can only imagine the heat. My Dad is going to be applying some wood and he's getting sand bags ready. My parents recently installed brand new windows that are supposed to be pretty strong...but not against a cat 4 or 5 lol

Oh geez, are those insured? Regardless, guess they're gonna be put to the ultimate test pretty soon.

The shudders they put up look like those really sturdy steel ones. Specialty made to cover the weird pieces of windows they got on their condo.

They aren't sure if they're going to put the garage shudder on, I encouraged them too. Nothing like a large sharp object smashing through that flimsy material and damaging a vehicle.

Hope my dad doesn't over do it. He's the kind of guy who will help out neighbors in need.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Heading to GA from Naples, FL Thursday! Time the GTFO with my 2 young kids - I won't take the chance for them to be stuck here.

I think it will probably miss (no direct hit) but not worth risk IMO and its going to be a shitty couple of days whichever way this eventually goes. Putting on the hurricane shutters and battening down the hatches.

Eye continues to warm now +20°C ... if convection flares or clouds cool (more pink) then Hurricane #Irma should reach 200 mph.

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/905144773643816960

DI-4XouVAAAVobr.jpg

Oh geez, are those insured? Regardless, guess they're gonna be put to the ultimate test pretty soon.

The shudders they put up look like those really sturdy steel ones. Specialty made to cover the weird pieces of windows they got on their condo.

They aren't sure if they're going to put the garage shudder on, I encouraged them too. Nothing like a large sharp object smashing through that flimsy material and damaging a vehicle.

Hope my dad doesn't over do it. He's the kind of guy who will help out neighbors in need.

Yep, lifetime warranty I believe. Nice way to test them out for sure! The steel ones sound really nice, hopefully they will hold up for quite a bit.
You're right, that's another thing to worry about is all the flying debris and the places it will fly into.
Sounds just like my old man, always over exerting himself and then ends up pulling a knee or shoulder haha
They will bunker down their place the best they can, and then evacuate.

Heading to GA from Naples, FL Thursday! Time the GTFO with my 2 young kids - I won't take the chance for them to be stuck here.

I think it will probably miss (no direct hit) but not worth risk IMO and its going to be a shitty couple of days whichever way this eventually goes. Putting on the hurricane shutters and battening down the hatches.

I completely agree. No need to take chances, especially with little ones. My parents and siblings are going to Marietta. Should be far up north enough.

Damn, that is scary looking

Patricia in 2015?

Yup!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Patricia

Hurricane Patricia set multiple records for maximum strength, rate of intensification, and rate of weakening throughout its relatively short existence. With maximum sustained winds of 215 mph (345 km/h) and a minimum pressure of 872 mbar (hPa; 25.75 inHg), Patricia is the most intense tropical cyclone ever observed in the Western Hemisphere.

Though it was technically a cyclone storm since it was out in a different body of water. Still remember hearing that and being like;

wq0jz.gif

Holy... SHIT How his car stayed in one spot I can't understand...

You think it's bad at the beginning and then you hit the 3:08 mark of the video...

Most likely right up against the entrance to the gas station, the wind isn't getting under the car that much.

And keep in mind, Mexico got lucky with Patricia in that it hit a relatively unpopulated/low population area of its Pacific coastline.

The U.S. really does not have that benefit on any of its Atlantic shores.

Absolutely, the fact that the area didn't have a lot of populace was good. The idea such a monstrosity existed is what terrifies me most.

Yeah, those areas at the bottom of the hill of Blairstone, past the CVS, are in for a bad time should Tally get hit. But, if all hell breaks loose you're right next to the State's EOC bunker on Esplanade and Shumard Oak Blvd. It's rated to handle a Cat5

Ah somebody else knows about the EOC. I know people who will be in there for the Hurricane, but if it seems bad enough before it hits I'll just be out of town instead. I feel like all of Tallahassee housing is made of match boxes so I'll be damned if I stay at 4+.

Yep. Those apartments right on capital circle near the light on orange avenue would be gone.

Guaranteed.

Still not sure if I need to leave Brandon/Riverview. Top floor apartment. My parents might be high tailing it to blue ridge Georgia to their cabin

Sweet! I'm right down causeway lol. My apartment building seems like they are sturdy concrete but I'm worried about this damn roof being on the top floor

Yeah, my townhome is concrete but I'm worried about the roof too. Also a little worried about flooding since the area is pretty new and hasn't had flood maps updated.

MrNelson

Banned
Still not sure if I need to leave Brandon/Riverview. Top floor apartment. My parents might be high tailing it to blue ridge Georgia to their cabin

I'm making the call based on the track tomorrow evening. I'm not in a flood zone or anything, but I don't want to ride through this shit if the center is coming anywhere near Tampa.

Yeah, my townhome is concrete but I'm worried about the roof too. Also a little worried about flooding since the area is pretty new and hasn't had flood maps updated.

Flooding is the only thing I'm not worried about. I work in Sarasota so I'm pretty sure I won't be heading out there come friday

FiggyCal

Banned
Forgive my ignorance but why are people buying up all the bottled water? Shouldn't people just fill up all their available containers?

Damn... you're right. It's a lot cheaper too.

Edit: I meant buying empty gallon containers to fill them up. They're like a quarter at the dollar store.

Top Bottom