• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida likely has first cases of Zika transmitted by mosquitoes on US mainland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kid Ying

Why can't mankind unite and fight a common enemy for once, the true evil of this world?
More human beings have been killed by Mosquitoes than by other human beings...so that's telling.
I'm pretty sure that they are useless for the eco-system. Whatever creature on this planet needs mosquitoes to survive...fuck it, we'll find a proper replacement, like mashed M&Ms or genetically modified slow, skinny and silent flies.
To all those hippies out there saying "but they're Gaya's children too"...."FU"!!!!!!!!! Mosquitoes need to die!!!! All of them!!!
Mosquitoes are hell. Doesn't seem like we would miss much without them too
http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100721/full/466432a.html

Also, Zika only affects the fetus till a certain time. After that time, if everything is normal with him, you can rejoice.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
It's pretty awful. But in less than a week you're already good to go. The only true risk is if you want to be pregnant right now or are already in the middle of.

A male can possibly still pass it during sex for a while after as well:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/health/what-is-zika-virus.html

In all known cases as of late June, transmission has been from a man to a woman or to another man, not from a woman to anyone else. The Zika virus has clearly been transmitted by vaginal and anal sex, and possibly by oral sex.

Viral RNA has been found in semen more than two months after symptoms disappeared. Scientists believe the prostate or testes serve as a reservoir, sheltering the Zika virus from the immune system. In at least one case, a man who never had Zika symptoms transmitted it sexually.

Health authorities now recommend that women who are pregnant or trying to become pregnant avoid contact with semen from men who have visited areas where the virus is transmitted. Pregnant women should abstain until they give birth, or should have sex only with partners using a condom.

To reduce the risk of sexual transmission, health authorities recommend that men who have visited areas in which the Zika virus is transmitted by mosquitos and who have had symptoms avoid unprotected sex for six months. Men who have had no symptoms should wait eight weeks.

N.Domixis

Banned
I wouldn't even worry about it. Florida isn't some third world landmass. We got the tech to destroy it before it spreads.

Harmen

Damn, this stuff is scary, be safe people! But to me it seems that with the right preparation and tests prior to pregnacy, the chances of infection can be made a lot slimmer for many people.

After these patient zero cases are contained, Maybe We can cover America with one giant mosquito net.

I am sure mr. Trump can enhance his wall plan by making it bigger, longer, bigger, and massive with a net spun over it. The best net.

Markoman

If you rub yourself with alligator fat, they won't bite!

Oh yeah, or he could just open all of his veins with a razor blade, that'll teach them. Have you served, son? I guess not, they don't teach that shit in the US army marine corps!
Now go back hiding behind that wall and don't forget to rub yourself with that mystical alligator fat. Pfff, youths....

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'm glad the republicans killed the zika bill by loading it with poisonuos riders the dems couldnt let through.

squall23

Why are people afraid? I thought when a disease finally hits US is when America finally actually goes all out and fixes it in a jiffy.

commedieu

Banned
So what happens to somebody who gets the Zika virus and they have a kid like 2-3 years later?

Iirc it's a developmental threat. So the damage is done to your developing baby. If you had Zika 2-3 years later, and we're pregnant I'd imagine it would lead to developmental damage. You'd probably want to be clear before

I am no doctor.

I just play one on tv.

florida7ls7o.gif

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Just a sidenote...I am in Puerto Rico and I only know one other guy who got Zika. It just gave him a rash and the effects of a common flu. Not that bad at all. For pregnant women there's danger for babies or future babies but that study still isn't 100% perfect. Babies are being born healthy from moms who had Zika at some point.

Zackat

man more Florida hate.

Read this: http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/h...the-shame-of-florida-man-news-stories-7608595

But missing from Times' take and so many others on the WTF Florida phenom is an important piece of the puzzle. Ironically, one of the things that may be contributing to Florida being shamed so often in the national media is something all Floridians should be proud of.

Since 1909, Florida has had a proud tradition that all government business is public business and therefore should be available to the public. That means all records, including photos and videos, produced by a public agency are easily accessible with a few narrow and obvious exceptions. Public officials are also required to open all of their meetings — even unofficial ones — to the public.

I bet this has been linked several times too. It's why you see more crazy stories from Florida than any other state.

Sdkkds

Neo Member
Doesn't Zika only cause developmental problems for already pregnant women who have the disease during pregnancy? My understanding is that having a man with Zika won't have any of the super negative effects, but they'll be a carrier that can make it easier to spread

It can spread through intercourse, so the act of getting her pregnant might give her the virus as well.

Jag

South Florida too. Sucks to be on the front line, but this shit is going to spread fast. Maybe not by the end of this summer but definitely by next. Can't stop mosquitoes, just gotta develop a treatment.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Why do I have this morbid feeling that this is how Children of Men starts...

*Pull my finger*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom