• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Man Says His Galaxy Note 7 Exploded and Set His Jeep on Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Florida Man Says His Galaxy Note 7 Exploded and Set His Jeep on Fire

prrx7l8nctobv8f3mjxz.png

Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7 phones have had a busy couple of weeks. They’re exploding all over the place, and as a result, the company has been forced to issue a massive recall and stop shipments of new phones. Oh, and now the spark-happy gadgets apparently set some poor guy’s Jeep ablaze.

According to a report from FOX 13 News, St. Petersburg, Florida resident Nathan Dornacher and his family had just returned home from a yard sale on Labor Day when the fire started. Dornacher left his Note 7 in the car to charge while he brought a desk inside, but when he told his his 8-year-old daughter and family dog to get back in the car, he realized something was, uh, not quite right.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire, but it was too late for Dornacher’s Jeep, which was totaled, according to FOX 13.

On Facebook, Dornacher posted his own account of the incident, as well as a number of photos documenting the damage:
Not the barbecue I wanted on my day off. We go to a garage sale to grab a desk for Bonnie get back to the house unload the car leave it running AC on to keep the car cool we were planning on grabbing the dog and Bonnie and heading to Petco, I head back out to the car to grab my phone which was on the charger (me and Lydia always fight over the house charger) go to open the door and see flames inside... open the door and it’s engulfed run inside to get extinguisher and of course not to be found yell at Lydia to call Fire Department and well here is the end result....

caaqbym5mjoofu1iapmr.jpg

What's left of the Galaxy Note:
vhjximozy7v8nke4yvrp.jpg

Jonnax

:/. Farking hell.
Everyone remember that any phone's battery can fail like this.

Don't sleep on your phones.

Chrysler is pretty good at making Jeeps that catch fire themselves. Now mix that with some of Samsung's new found talent...

BearPawB

Banned
I don't understand why you all haven't returned your phones already.

The temporary hassle is worth it to not set your life on fire

Africanus

I thought this would be the story of how a man lied about his phone exploding until I saw the brand.

This isn't a Florida man story as much as a really tragic incident of poor manufacturing.

Fuchsdh

I mean, yeah, they can, but this doesn't normally happen. The worst I've usually heard is people getting electrocuted by faulty or third-party chargers.

Ironically for the "I wanna' charge and play at the same time" crowd, a lot of manufacturers don't recommend using your devices while charging since there's the added risk of overheating.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Is there a way to verify if it was indeed the Note 7 what caused the fire on the Jeep?
One can usually close down to the area the fire might have started from so they might blame the phone of everything adds up especially since it's being recalled for randomly setting itself on fire I guess.

HeySeuss

I thought this would be the story of how a man lied about his phone exploding until I saw the brand.

This isn't a Florida man story as much as a really tragic incident of poor manufacturing.

I'm still not sure I buy the story. Very easily could be an insurance fraud issue.

Crazy, glad he's okay. Glad I held off on the new Note for now.

Although, Florida Man makes me think of an 8 bit Mega Man villain.

Fury451

Banned
Is there a way to verify if it was indeed the Note 7 what caused the fire on the Jeep?

I'm not an expert, but looking at the damage to the console area, it definitely seems the fire started there.

Whether the phone actually caused it or not is another matter. Seems fishy to me and a convenient scapegoat to get a new Jeep.

commedieu

Banned
Yeah this is where I am at on it

Anyone trying to pull this as a scam needs to fool the investigators. An insurance company isn't just going to give you money because you said it's the phone.

They'll test for accelerants and can pinpoint where the fire started.

But it's Florida. Could go either way.

HeySeuss

Anyone trying to pull this as a scam needs to fool the investigators. An insurance company isn't just going to give you money because you said it's the phone.

They'll test for accelerants and can pinpoint where the fire started.

But it's Florida. Could go either way.

People are dopes and if they felt they had a chance to capitalize on the media storm around the Note issues, they will.

People do dumb shit like this every day because they think they can get one over on people. They usually have genuine reasons to try to pull the scam such as not being able to afford the car, owing too much and being stuck with it and not wanting it, etc. It's not usually about a payday, it's more about having the insurance pay it off so you can start fresh.

I'm not saying it's not from the phone, just statistically, it's much more likely that it's not exactly what it seems on the surface. But it will get investigated and it will be sorted out.

Dalek

He was taking a desk inside so he left his phone to charge in the car..........hmmmm.

I'm not sure why everyone is suspicious about this. I've done this exact thing plenty of times. While I'm driving my car, the phone is plugged in and charging. I come home to drop something off, and I get out the car and leave my phone in there because I'm coming back. I did it yesterday, in fact, when I dropped my kid off at school and had to come back home to get her jacket.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Dornacher left his Note 7 in the car to charge while he brought a desk inside, but when he told his his 8-year-old daughter and family dog to get back in the car, he realized something was, uh, not quite right

This reads funny.. why would you tell the daughter and dog to get back in the car?

Edit: nvm I see the Facebook post.

commedieu

Banned
People are dopes and if they felt they had a chance to capitalize on the media storm around the Note issues, they will.

People do dumb shit like this every day because they think they can get one over on people. They usually have genuine reasons to try to pull the scam such as not being able to afford the car, owing too much and being stuck with it and not wanting it, etc. It's not usually about a payday, it's more about having the insurance pay it off so you can start fresh.

I'm not saying it's not from the phone, just statistically, it's much more likely that it's not exactly what it seems on the surface. But it will get investigated and it will be sorted out.

Everyone is aware of people being stupid. But this in today's world would be abundantly stupid as arson insurance fraud isn't done by dumping gasoline on something then getting a payout. Statistically arson doesn't pay out. Because insurance companies don't want to pay money to anyone, and these things are easily determined.

This reads funny.. why would you tell the daughter and dog to get back in the car?

Edit: nvm I see the Facebook post.

But thats the thing. He went to get his phone out of the car so they could go out again. Why wouldnt he have just left it in there since the car was running? Why would he leave without his phone? Its an odd story.

bjork

I feel bad for the guy losing his car, but as someone currently driving a Cherokee rental car, I sincerely hope this leads to him upgrading his driving situation.

Zaventem

Damn shame. Well I hope he's telling the truth since there are way to tell what caused a fire in this modern age.

Any phone battery can explode but I think it's pretty rare for an undamaged phone to explode. Unless you have a Galaxy Note 7 apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom