• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Follow up (Clover Dissolution) -- Shinji Mikami stays, Inaba and Hideki Kamiya leave.

Dahbomb

This is a terrible loss for Capcom. :(

I hope Capcom can still hold the throne of next-gen top developers but it's going to be VERY difficult pumping out original IPs without Kamiya.

I hope the best of luck for Kamiya, whereever he may go. I just hope he doesn't end up making non-game crap for the Wii/DS... He needs to keep his 92+ average on Gamerankings.

gconsole

Dahbomb said:
This is a terrible loss for Capcom. :(

I hope Capcom can still hold the throne of next-gen top developers but it's going to be VERY difficult pumping out original IPs without Kamiya.

I hope the best of luck for Kamiya, whereever he may go. I just hope he doesn't end up making non-game crap for the Wii/DS... He needs to keep his 92+ average on Gamerankings.

Capcom still has other good devs, the torch was passed to Inafune since the release of Dead Rising . Actually ,the worst case is for square enix when Sakaguchi and Matsuno left .

Pureauthor said:
I'm saying the Castlevania series is forever cursed to having 3D games that play mediocre.

CURSED, I SAY.

Devil May Cry will be cursed too if it was directed by IGA.

Kittonwy

Banned
gconsole said:
Capcom still has other good devs, the torch was passed to Inafune since the release of Dead Rising . Actually ,the worst case is for square enix when Sakaguchi and Matsuno left .

Inafune isn't even a director right now and his stuff is souless compared to Kamiya's games. Creatively they have nobody left that is on par with Kamiya.

It isn't going to do SE any good if Matsuno doesn't show up for work. Sakaguchi hasn't directed a title for two generations and almost bankrupted Square with his movie idea, opening Square up for the merger and took Iwasaki down with him, had Sakaguchi just been creating IPs it might have been a loss.

Devil May Cry will be cursed too if it was directed by IGA.

Cursed? No. Complete and utter crap? Definitely.

vala

Next-Gen.biz said:
[UPDATE] Capcom supplied Next-Gen with the following "assumed Q&A" regarding the closure of Clover Studios.

[Capcom US PR politely asked Next-Gen to remove the Q&A that was posted here, not on the basis that the information was infactual, but because the form of the Q&A wasn't final. It seems that it was meant for internal use. As stated in the Q&A, however, Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami, Okami producer Atsushi Inaba and Devil May Cry director Hideki Kamiya have officially left Capcom. The latter two are now "seeking a new challenge," while Mikami is working with Capcom on a contract basis.

Capcom has assured Next-Gen an interview with Capcom marketing VP Charles Bellfield who will answer all our Clover-related questions. Thanks for the understanding.]

WTF happened here? :lol

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'm torn about whether to be happy or sad that mikami has (at least, temporarily) stayed with capcom.

the notion that they would stick him back on the resident evil series is really interesting and exciting, though. what studio is handling re5? is kobayashi involved?

NG_Kris

vala said:
WTF happened here? :lol

Honestly... I don't know. It's strange. Capcom didn't have any issue with the facts in it, but had issue with the format or something (the Q/A wasn't exactly for public viewing). They were cool about it.
I'll be talking to Bellfield (hopefully later today) and the interview will be all about Clover and Capcom's future... hopefully it'll be even more revealing than the Q&A.

Kittonwy

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It's not like they're going to have trouble finding funding for their games. Look at L5 or Game Republic (also formed by a former Capcom member). And by doing that they'll be able to develop for whatever system they want.

Sony Japan funded?
gladtomeetya.gif

jarrod

Banned
C- Warrior said:
Hideki Kamiya has created only 4 games in his career, but what 4 games they were. (Resident Evil 2 '98', Devil May Cry '01', Viewtiful Joe '02' and Okami '06' -- all of which have a 92%+ at gamerankings. He probably has the highest gameranking average for all the games he's created right there with Hideo Kojima. In fact, some would say given Kamiya's more diverse creation list he's even 1up-ed the MGS - exclusive designer.
Aounma actually comes in 1st with a 95% average... though like Kojima, that's based on basically one series (Zelda). Kamiya definitely wins with diversity, he's more like a modern Miyamoto, Okamoto or Suzuki... a gaming "renaissance man" as it were. The only other person I'd hold in similar regard these days (ie: capable of both high quality & diverse variety) is probably Nagoshi, and maybe Miz.

Btw~ a little off topic but what happened to Capcom Studio 3? Studio 4 seems to have survived the Clover exodus somewhat, but was Studio 3 gutted entirely? The last thing I remember them doing was MMX Command Mission and some PS1 to PSP ports, then it's been nothing for like a year? :/

Blimblim said:
If Microsoft was smart, they'd start a new company with these guys. They really need to get some creative people for their 1st/2nd party titles. It would be too good an idea, so I guess it's not going to happen...

Yes, Microsoft needs to build up their japanese software studios big time if they ever want to be competitive in japan and worldwide, for that matter. I would throw money at them and offer to poach whatever talent they request.

If I had to pick a major 3rd party publisher, either Sega or Tecmo. I could see either of those companies transforming over night due to their arrival.

Since thier not ex-Sqaure, Mistwalker is probably out of the question.lol

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I don't know how I feel about this anymore. It's spooky to think that they would have to make serious sacrifces/compromises for funding. :\

And please, no ****ing tamagotchi-non-games shit...

castle007

Banned
DarknessTear said:
I wouldn't mind if they joined Konami and taught IGA how to make a proper 3D Castlevania game.

OR

Nintendo should enslave Hideki Kamiya, buy Konami and Capcom. And then teach Capcom how to make a proper 3D CV. And I wouldn't mind if the game was set in Bowser's castle, and had Bowser and Dracula team up against Mario belmont!!!

jarrod

Banned
Honestly, out of the 1st parties I think MGS would be the best bet... they'd probably get the most funding, most freedom and most job security. I think MGS would've been more than thrilled with something like Ookami's JP sales honestly.

Nintendo's probably the worst option really, mainly because they don't need the Clover guys like MGS or even SCEI do. Microsoft's need being by far the greatest, I think would result in the best deal for a susperstar Kamiya/Inaba/Mikami studio. Hell, I wouldn't mind if MGS paid off Capcom to get their "dissapointing" IPs too (PN03, Ookami, God Hand).

Brobzoid

jarrod said:
Honestly, out of the 1st parties I think MGS would be the best bet... they'd probably get the most funding, most freedom and most job security. I think MGS would've been more than thrilled with something like Ookami's JP sales honestly.

Nintendo's probably the worst option really, mainly because they don't need the Clover guys like MGS or even SCEI do. Microsoft's need being by far the greatest, I think would result in the best deal for a susperstar Kamiya/Inaba/Mikami studio. Hell, I wouldn't mind if MGS paid off Capcom to get their "dissapointing" IPs too (PN03, Ookami, God Hand).

agree completely.

But I'd rather see Kamiya continue his streak of original IPs.

Could you imagine what it would be like if MGS produced a quality Devil May Cry or Resident Evil clone?

It would definitely break them out the "FPS and racers" mold they have gotten themselves stuck in and broaden their appeal. I could see alot of their 360 base going for a Devil May Cry game simply becuase its fast paced and action-y so that would be a safe path.

A Resident Evil-killer would make up for the loss of the Resident Evil exclusivity (and widen their appeal to a new type of gamer) due to a translation error at the start of last gen. Kinda of a Redemption thing there!

Yoboman

Lakitu said:
Kamiya and Inaba have interviews at Kojima Productions? hint hint

SolidSnakex said:
The possiblities. Their interviews were done in July also, which is when both of them were apparently gone from Caqcom.

Where's this info coming from? I'd have to say, if this is true, Kojima must be planning to expand KP's development bases massively.

ethelred

jarrod said:

I say the same thing I said in the other thread: in terms of need, in looking at Nintendo's disappointing actual lineup of games, I'd say Nintendo needs guys like these more than any other company. That's a different issue, though, from what would be best for Inaba/Kamiya as well as being a different issue from the likelihood of what will actually happen -- I don't see them going to Nintendo at all (though if Nintendo is smart, they'd be offering; Sony and Microsoft, if sensible, should be too), as I don't think they have any desire to design Nintendo games.

jarrod

Banned
ethelred said:
I say the same thing I said in the other thread: in terms of need, in looking at Nintendo's disappointing actual lineup of games, I'd say Nintendo needs guys like these more than any other company. That's a different issue, though, from what would be best for Inaba/Kamiya as well as being a different issue from the likelihood of what will actually happen -- I don't see them going to Nintendo at all (though if Nintendo is smart, they'd be offering; Sony and Microsoft, if sensible, should be too), as I don't think they have any desire to design Nintendo games.
Well, Nintendo's not dumb... they're obviously making deals with these startups too (ASH from Mistwalker, distributing Q's Meteos, working with Sora on Smash brawl, likely getting Prope's focus, etc). I could see them working with a an ex-Clover studio on something, probably for DS... but they aren't going to fund the operation itself like Microsoft would.

And as an aside, Ookami essentially was a "Nintendo game" at it's core. ;)

Brobzoid

while, few of the games in wii's line-up are appealing to me, or reminicent of capcom/clover's games, I don't think nintendo needs them. Nintendo obviously has hit it off with a certain type of gamer(also the "non-gamers") and Kamiya an Inaba aren't going to appeal to them in the same sense they would the old-school gamers, or those who liked Okami, ect.

But if they are inserted into Kojima labs; :\
Wouldn't that be a bit restricting? I mean, I would love a Kamiya ZOE3, but at the same time, kojima's studio seems very focused on mgs and probably doesn't have a whole lot of resourses to other, more financially daring projects.

SCEI or Microsoft funded would be best imo.

ethelred

jarrod said:
but they aren't going to fund the operation itself like Microsoft would.

No, they aren't, though it's something they should be seriously doing/attempting.

jarrod said:
And as an aside, Ookami essentially was a "Nintendo game" at it's core. ;)

If you say so. The fact remains that it's not a game on a Nintendo system, and when I say that I don't think Inaba/Kamiya have any desire to make Nintendo games, that's what I'm referring to.

Brobzoid said:
while, few of the games in wii's line-up are appealing to me, or reminicent of capcom/clover's games, I don't think nintendo needs them. Nintendo obviously has hit it off with a certain type of gamer(also the "non-gamers") and Kamiya an Inaba aren't going to appeal to them in the same sense they would the old-school gamers, or those who liked Okami, ect.

The DS has succeeded because it's appealed to hardcore gamers as well as non-gamers. Anyone who thinks that this isn't the same strategy they're shooting for with Wii is nuts. The goal is to grab hardcore gamers as much as possible, and designers like these are integral to that.

But like I said, I can't see it happening.

Yoboman

Brobzoid said:

But if they are inserted into Kojima labs; :\
Wouldn't that be a bit restricting? I mean, I would love a Kamiya ZOE3, but at the same time, kojima's studio seems very focused on mgs and probably doesn't have a whole lot of resourses to other, more financially daring projects.

SCEI or Microsoft funded would be best imo.
I am sure if they did come into Kojima's fold, they'd probably be making their own games. Kojima's company has room to expand from a company with a single focus... We've already seen it with their baby steps in the handheld space.

Angelcurio

Sony Japan should bring the moneyhats, another first party dev with the potential of being the next team ico is not going to hurt them :)

jarrod

Banned
ethelred said:
No, they aren't, though it's something they should be seriously doing/attempting.
Not going to happen... the 2nd party implosion (ie: RARE, Silicon Knights, Leftfield, etc) likely scared them off and Nintendo doesn't seem eager to form their own start-ups anymore (like Brownie Brown, Genius Sonority, Retro, etc). Nintendo's current course is probably the smartest for them, organically grow internal R&D and contract game by game with outside talent. For a "profit only" company, that definitely seems like the safest route.

ethelred said:
If you say so. The fact remains that it's not a game on a Nintendo system, and when I say that I don't think Inaba/Kamiya have any desire to make Nintendo games, that's what I'm referring to.
I dunno, basically every major Japanese developer "wants" to make Wii games currently. I don't think Inaba or Kayima would have any problem signing a Nintendo deal.

jarrod

Banned
Yoboman said:
I am sure if they did come into Kojima's fold, they'd probably be making their own games. Kojima's company has room to expand from a company with a single focus... We've already seen it with their baby steps in the handheld space.
KojiPro wouldn't be all that dissimilar to what Clover was already though, it'd be less creative freedom in fact. Where's ZOE3?

Angelcurio said:
Sony Japan should bring the moneyhats, another first party dev with the potential of being the next team ico is not going to hurt them :)
It could if their games sell like Team Ico's though. :p

Actually, SCEI's internal Japanese R&D seems the most unstable of the 3 hardware providers. How many dedicated teams have we seen dissapear without a trace this past gen (Contrail, Shift, Deep Space, Sugar & Rockets, etc)?

Kittonwy

Banned
Looking at Okamoto and Game Republic, Inaba and Kamiya's best bet is still trying to get signed up with Sony Japan, because they don't need to be a big name in Japan like Sakaguchi to get signed up with MS, and Okamoto is still working with Sony Japan for Genji 2 AND Unknown Realm, I doubt Mizuguchi will be making N3 part deux, and you can tell there's resentment there, Kamiya games need to be done by Kamiya and not get farmed out the way Mistwalker games and N3 were, that set-up wouldn't work for Kamiya anyway, even if the game doesn't hit 500G worldwide there's still a chance Sony Japan wouldn't drop them like a rock.

Brobzoid

Yoboman said:

they've only done mgs games on psp aswell though, haven't they?

Just because they're different from the usual mgs doesn't mean that they would risk to pour cash into a new IP, especially with the risks involved of it being a niche title(in sales)...

Kittonwy

Banned
Angelcurio said:

I'd say Sony Japan should just hire both of them, give them a division and the Kenji Kaido/Fumito Ueda treatment.

Blimblim said:
If Microsoft was smart, they'd start a new company with these guys. They really need to get some creative people for their 1st/2nd party titles. It would be too good an idea, so I guess it's not going to happen...
Peter Moore reads GAF, no?

Peter-Moore-Photo-webscreen--screenshot_large.jpg

"I get it"

You'd better, Peetah! It'd be the best thing for MGS as a whole.

jarrod

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Kamiya games need to be done by Kamiya and not get farmed out the way Mistwalker games and N3 were, that set-up wouldn't work for Kamiya anyway, even if the game doesn't hit 500G worldwide there's still a chance Sony Japan wouldn't drop them like a rock.
Psst! All Game Republic's PlayStation 2/3/P games were actually co-developed with SCEI Japan. The only game they've made entirely inhouse is Everparty. :lol

Kittonwy said:
I'd say Sony Japan should just hire both of them, give them a division and the Kenji Kaido/Fumito Ueda treatment.
If working for Clover was too stifling, how would working for Sony directly be any sort of improvement? :p

Yoboman

Brobzoid said:
they've only done mgs games on psp aswell though, haven't they?

Just because they're different from the usual mgs doesn't mean that they would risk to pour cash into a new IP, especially with the risks involved of it being a niche title(in sales)...
Well that's because KP are still a small scale developer. However, they're currently making two full scale MGS games, and a load of little titles, comic books deviations, their DS game etc.

Well, I expect if those two guys did come into the fold, it wouldn't be to work under the wing of Kojima and Kojima knows that. So if they are being interviewed, I'd expect Kojima is wanting the company to grow with some new high profile games...Kojima wants new IP's, he's been saying it for a long time, obviously he hasn't been able to do that with his MGS obligations though.

Just my theory though, don't hold me to it.

Brobzoid

kojima productions is still just a branch in Konami, right?

I don't think kojima productions will ever be anything more than mgs. While they may release other games and such, but they'll never be prolific in the way DMC or Viewtiful Joe was.

For instance kojima has wanted to leave mgs since mgs2 and make new IPs, but what has happened? He's back for this one, and the next one, ect. the AC!D games where made by another dude and he's making Portable Ops, right? Hopefully he'll take the mgs flame and Kojima can make new IPs, if he still got it in him. :\

Yoboman

Brobzoid said:
kojima productions is still just a branch in Konami, right?

I don't think kojima productions will ever be anything more than mgs. While they may release other games and such, but they'll never be prolific in the way DMC or Viewtiful Joe was.
I'm not sure of the specifics, I believe they're pretty much independent. I really think you're wrong about that assumption, KP has alot of room to grow, and Kojima has specifically mentioned his intentions not to be tied just to the MGS series.

Brobzoid

I hope I'm wrong, as I would like to see them grow, both Kojima as a designer and Kojima Productions as a developer. But I do believe that Kojima likes the sound of mgs fans chanting his name alittle too much right now.

And **** new IPs by the way, ZOE3 should be priority #1 after MGS4 is done!

jarrod

Banned
Inaba and Kamiya want more freedom evidently... just going to work for Kojima just doesn't jive with the reasons they left Clover. It just makes little to no sense, as would signing up with any large publisher... best case scenario, it'd be the exact same setup as they had at Clover actually.

Now, forming a new start-up and signing with one of the hardware makers... that's a sure fire road to doing what they really want (making their own games, their own way).

jarrod

Banned
Yoboman said:
I'm not sure of the specifics, I believe they're pretty much independent.
They're about as "independent" as Powapro Productions. :lol

Konami gives Kojima a lot of leeway, but don't mistake that for independance. He's a Konami employee and his team's a Konami team, end of story.

Top Bottom