• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football/Soccer/Fútbol/Fussball Thread 2011/2012 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

WJD

Ushojax said:
394042249-10012011000628.jpg

I have faith in Wenger to continue achieving the absolute bare minimum.

RJT

Ushojax said:
They probably did it to bump up the fee for his inevitable transfer. I still think he will leave this summer. Didn't the chairman say recently that only Hulk was irreplaceable?
Yeah, but why would Falcao agree to that? At 30M he would be an great target for any good team. At 45M, not so much.

As for Hulk, he has a 100M release clause. He ain't going anywhere this year.

besiktas1

I'm going to go with

1. Chelsea
2. City
2. United
4. Arsenal

FA Cup: Chelsea
Carling Cup: Chelsea

Champions League: Chelsea

:D

Before the transfer window closes, I hope Chelsea buys a creative midfielder, granted Lampard is a legend but the new decade did him no favours. Last year he was bad imo, and not scoring the goals just meant he was, I might get flamed for this, useless. He has no creativity but that was excused due to his goals.

I hope AVB has the balls to bench him. This year he is only getting older, so inevitably even slower and fatter. I think one of the big reasons for Chelsea's lack of goals was the lack of a good creative midfielder.

Tobinishi

Arsenal member here. So put me in your list.

My prediction:

1. ManCity
2. United
3. Chelsea
4. Arsenal

CL: Real

Im pretty negativ about the New Season ahead and really hope Wenger brings at least 2 pllayers in. Plus i really Hope the whole Fabregas saga ends as fast as possible.

Carbonox

I wouldn't rule out Chelsea winning the league, especially if they make some good signings and get rid of the some of the older/past-their-best players.

Chelsea
United
City
Liverpool

That's my top 4.

Anyway, put me down as a Newcastle United fan. Tiote's equalizer against Arsenal was one of the greatest moments I've had as a Toon fan. The comeback was easily up there with one of the best performances of last season.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
RJT said:
Yeah, but why would Falcao agree to that? At 30M he would be an great target for any good team. At 45M, not so much.

Falcao would agree to it because presumably he wants to go to Chelsea. The same Chelsea who payed 50M for Torres. To me it looks like this new contract is Porto is putting down bait for Abramovic.

RJT

Ushojax said:
Falcao would agree to it because presumably he wants to go to Chelsea. The same Chelsea who payed 50M for Torres. To me it looks like this new contract is Porto is putting down bait for Abramovic.
Maybe. At this point, he either going to Real or Chelsea. He'd be a great fit for Barcelona though...

Arnie

Going to spice things up a bit with my prediction>

1) Chelsea
2) United
3) Liverpool
4) Arsenal

FA Cup: Liverpool
Carling Cup: Villa

Champions League: Real

Mastadon

Banned
I'm going for

1) United
2) Chelsea
3) Arsenal
4) Liverpool

FA Cup: Spurs
Carling Cup: Liverpool

I think CL football is going to have a real impact on Man City's league performance.

Arnie

Bungieware said:
Not the most accurate headline.
Aye, read the article and there's no real quotes to support Aguero wanting to replace Tevez at City. It does indicate that he's keen on a move to the Premier League, which would've probably been a more accurate title.

confuziz

Banned
United are only going to become champions if they get an exceptional player like Sneijder, otherwise it's city or chelsea.

I'm supporting man city / PSV btw.

PaulLFC

OP updated (complete with more gifs!), I think I've got everyone so far in the list but if I haven't, let me know. If you listed two or more teams, let me know which one you want listing under.

I think the rest of the OP should be mostly finished, although I'd like to add some more videos - suggestions welcome. Any other info you think could be added, let me know.

WJD

PaulLFC said:
OP updated, I think I've got everyone so far in the list but if I haven't, let me know. If you listed two or more teams, let me know which one you want listing under.

I think the rest of the OP should be mostly finished, although I'd like to add some more videos - suggestions welcome. Any other info you think could be added, let me know.
Maybe you could put a "new to football" section for the odd person that pops in asking how to get into the sport?

PaulLFC

WJD said:
Maybe you could put a "new to football" section for the odd person that pops in asking how to get into the sport?

I'm thinking of doing this, but right now I can't really think what needs to be included - any suggestions?

I've got links to football articles, advice on which team to support (whoever you want, just pick a team and stick with them), and some more in-depth stuff with the blogs etc.

Possibly links to international and continental competitions?

Seabee said:
Any particular reason why my club hasn't been updated on the OP?

Sorry, must have missed it. I've probably missed a few people out as there were a lot of posts overnight. Who do you support?

Xena

PaulLFC said:
I'm thinking of doing this, but right now I can't really think what needs to be included - any suggestions?

I've got links to football articles, advice on which team to support (whoever you want, just pick a team and stick with them), and some more in-depth stuff with the blogs etc.

Possibly links to international and continental competitions?

Sorry, must have missed it. I've probably missed a few people out as there were a lot of posts overnight. Who do you support?

Corinthians. Thanks!

Salazar

DominoKid said:
It'd be fucking untrue if City won the league. Only a Liverpool win would be worse.

More Liverpool fans on GAF versus arguably more obnoxious City fans on GAF.

It's tough.

Fry

DominoKid said:
It'd be fucking untrue if City won the league. Only a Liverpool win would be worse.

I think City will win it eventually. I just don't think it's next season. Villas Boas will win it for Chelsea, I feel he'll make a lot of different like Dalglish made for us.

I think we will challenge for the title. But I don't think we will win it.

GorillaJu

On a similar note, that goal from Conor Coady off of the Andy Carroll lay-up against Guangdong was superb. He's going to be an excellent player when he comes through.

Arnie

odd_morsel said:
On a similar note, that goal from Conor Coady off of the Andy Carroll lay-up against Guangdong was superb. He's going to be an excellent player when he comes through.
Definitely. It' just a shame that he's going to be constantly compared to Gerrard after every decent performance he puts in.

Fry

odd_morsel said:

I was made up for him. It was a great finish. Hopefully he'll get more time next season with Suso and Wisdom too.

tumblr_loa221G4Z51qjwc07.gif

Dynoro

PaulLFC said:
OP updated (complete with more gifs!), I think I've got everyone so far in the list but if I haven't, let me know. If you listed two or more teams, let me know which one you want listing under.

Excellent work on the OP; shows off the fun side of footy nicely

Hixx

Looks like we're about to sell the naming rights to our Stadium. I hated the name it got originally but its grown on me, don't really want it to change. But money talks :(

Dynoro

HixxSAFC said:
Looks like we're about to sell the naming rights to our Stadium. I hated the name it got originally but its grown on me, don't really want it to change. But money talks :(
At least its a fairly new stadium; haven't you only been there for 10-15 years? Shame to see it go though; I prefer the proper names over all these commercial ones.
Avoids being called the stadium of shite though

omgkitty

LabouredSubterfuge said:
I'll never understand how he kept that down.

I don't think he does either...I have probably watched that youtube video hundreds of times, and I still can't believe he even got to the ball in time every time.

Also, Arseblog posted a great little part about how I think we all feel about the silly season.

You know, no matter how disheartening the season just gone has been, pre-season generally provides a measure of confidence. A page has been turned over like some kind of new leaf, and you go into the new one full of hope and optimisim.

It’s hard to feel that yet this summer, I have to say. I know that much of it has to do with the blanket coverage, the Twittering, the non-stop chatter about Arsenal when we might be best served stepping away for a little while and not analysing the ever-loving shite out of every single utterance made by every single person connected with the club.

Yet this is the world we live in now, like it or not, and it’s a two-way street. The club and the media feed us info which we gobble up via their various channels. Like the gluttonous little plumper in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory we’re never full and maybe one day we’ll fall into the chocolate lake and get whooshed away in a tube while little orange men (mini Deins? Deinpa-loompas?) sing and dance in a sinister way on the candy covered shore.

We examine these nuggets of information to see if we can extropolate and make ‘educated’ guesses about what the club, so famously secretive in the transfer market, might do to improve the squad. A squad I think most of us accept needs some augmentation, and some improvement, if it wants to seriously challenge for honours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom