• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For Honor |OT| And shame are huge parts of it

Any advice for fighting... the fatty Samurai dude? I just can't understand him. He gives me a really friendly hug, and then I realize it's not all that friendly and wonder where 50% of my health bar went.

I started the game today, play as a Valkyrie most, love the leg sweep combo, and found myself with a 100% win streak at my matchmaking level after five matches of duels and dominions (I'd played the closed beta for a bit so had a good grasp of the basics). Just teamed up with one of my prestiged friends though and we seemed to be matched to people of his level, so I was routinely pummelled into the ground. A lot of that will be improved with practice, mostly learning different attack speeds of each class so I can dodge them better, but that fatty Samurai... he just... hugs me all the time, and a lot of my knockdowns do literally nothing. I'm completely confused about how to counter him AND how to attack him. Please send help.

Some experimentation with connection quality.

You can crash an entire lobby by having a bad connection. Even if you are not the host! That's why sometimes you'll find matches just outright collapse.

I can join a game on a .4 mbs connection (boosted signal wifi, atrocious stuff), and it will crash every dominion game I join.

Not sure what specifically causes this. Probably not easily replicable, some obscure network bug.

Ah, you're talking of the dodge attack, not the doge itself ? Then those attacks are telegraphed as it's always the direction of the dodge.

They are telegraphed but Kensei's high dash attack has one of the fastest startups of any attacks in the entire game, so reacting to a dodge left or right, which might also be an empty dodge cancelled into grab, can be really tricky.

Any advice for fighting... the fatty Samurai dude? I just can't understand him. He gives me a really friendly hug, and then I realize it's not all that friendly and wonder where 50% of my health bar went.

I started the game today, play as a Valkyrie most, love the leg sweep combo, and found myself with a 100% win streak at my matchmaking level after five matches of duels and dominions (I'd played the closed beta for a bit so had a good grasp of the basics). Just teamed up with one of my prestiged friends though and we seemed to be matched to people of his level, so I was routinely pummelled into the ground. A lot of that will be improved with practice, mostly learning different attack speeds of each class so I can dodge them better, but that fatty Samurai... he just... hugs me all the time, and a lot of my knockdowns do literally nothing. I'm completely confused about how to counter him AND how to attack him. Please send help.

The Shugoki's hug can be sidestepped and it can be interrupted if you hit him early enough during the wind up to it. The issue is that the Shugoki gets one free hit of recharging super armor at all times (i.e. you hit him and he does not flinch). So you can't really poke at him, because a smart Shugoki player will know when their armor is up and just eat a hit in order to hit you back. The good news is that its hard for a Shugoki to be offensive, because they use a ton of stamina per attack and their attacks are so slow that you have a day and a half to parry them. So if you can take their stamina away (feints work to bait them into attacking) you can then bully them to your heart's content. Just watch out for the grab, when a Shugoki is in critical health the grab becomes a one hit kill and desperate players will inevitably roll the dice on it when backed into a corner.

Also in any mode with perks Shugoki have a passive that makes them immune to being knocked down.

E-flux

I play Shugoki mostly and a bit of Valkyrie, try to get in those deflection bleeds since bleed disables the shield Shugoki has, after that he takes extra damage and just stay on him and keep expecting guard breaks. If he is printing at you from far away be careful about his dash move which can knock you down and that's a free heavy attack on you if he manages to stop on you. Shugoki is so slow at close ranges that your best bet is to try to get as many light attacks and deflections in. Shugoki can punish you super easily if you go in for heavy attacks try to be as fast and aggressive as possible.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Shugoki is unique in that he always has a hit of armor. Like, not on his attacks, just passive even if he is standing still which means he can use it on any actual attack to bully through something you're doing and smash you. So the first thing is stripping that and keeping up pressure since he takes increased damage when it's down (he flashes white when it comes back).

I don't really know anything about Valk to give tips but a universal one I could say is that a guardbreak attempt, even if the shugoki techs it, will strip his armor so that's a good thing to go for before trying to mount an offense. But if you go back to a neutral ground and linger around he's getting that armor back which is what he wants.

As for the grab, it's slow to startup and you can backdash it. If it whiffs he takes pretty hefty damage and the whiff animation is huge, but if he hits it does more damage if he has less health and heals him. Though of course he can cover it with his armor and grab you if he predicts what you're doing.

He needs to be approached very differently from everyone in the game basically.

Ferrio

Banned

The running grab can easily be dodged if he does it out in the open, and if you do dodge it he's practically dead if you punish. That said, he can guarantee the grab if he throws you into a wall, so don't place yourself in a position where you can be wall splatted.

Other than that I agree with most people that you need to apply pressure and not let up. Once you got his armor down that should be your cue to go in. If you backup and let him recharge his armor you're just doing exactly what he wants you to do.

Salz01

What's with this critical error on ps4. Just got the game and its driving me insane. Every 15 mins it drops me to the menu screen.

Dubz

Now I get called out for using (a lot) of unblockable attack on Dominion. :I Like ofcourse I do, I don't want to gain them revenge by getting blocked. I'm playing with a class that seems to be considered weak, Raider. And yet I'm not supposed to throw people down or use the unblockable attack. How much do I need to gimp myself before people are happy.

It reminds me of people calling you cheap if you threw in SF2. It's not cheap or cheese, it's a mechanic in the game...lol

The Shugoki's hug can be sidestepped and it can be interrupted if you hit him early enough during the wind up to it. The issue is that the Shugoki gets one free hit of recharging super armor at all times (i.e. you hit him and he does not flinch). So you can't really poke at him, because a smart Shugoki player will know when their armor is up and just eat a hit in order to hit you back. The good news is that its hard for a Shugoki to be offensive, because they use a ton of stamina per attack and their attacks are so slow that you have a day and a half to parry them. So if you can take their stamina away (feints work to bait them into attacking) you can then bully them to your heart's content. Just watch out for the grab, when a Shugoki is in critical health the grab becomes a one hit kill and desperate players will inevitably roll the dice on it when backed into a corner.

Also in any mode with perks Shugoki have a passive that makes them immune to being knocked down.

I play Shugoki mostly and a bit of Valkyrie, try to get in those deflection bleeds since bleed disables the shield Shugoki has, after that he takes extra damage and just stay on him and keep expecting guard breaks. If he is printing at you from far away be careful about his dash move which can knock you down and that's a free heavy attack on you if he manages to stop on you. Shugoki is so slow at close ranges that your best bet is to try to get as many light attacks and deflections in. Shugoki can punish you super easily if you go in for heavy attacks try to be as fast and aggressive as possible.

Shugoki is unique in that he always has a hit of armor. Like, not on his attacks, just passive even if he is standing still which means he can use it on any actual attack to bully through something you're doing and smash you. So the first thing is stripping that and keeping up pressure since he takes increased damage when it's down (he flashes white when it comes back).

I don't really know anything about Valk to give tips but a universal one I could say is that a guardbreak attempt, even if the shugoki techs it, will strip his armor so that's a good thing to go for before trying to mount an offense. But if you go back to a neutral ground and linger around he's getting that armor back which is what he wants.

As for the grab, it's slow to startup and you can backdash it. If it whiffs he takes pretty hefty damage and the whiff animation is huge, but if he hits it does more damage if he has less health and heals him. Though of course he can cover it with his armor and grab you if he predicts what you're doing.

He needs to be approached very differently from everyone in the game basically.

The running grab can easily be dodged if he does it out in the open, and if you do dodge it he's practically dead if you punish. That said, he can guarantee the grab if he throws you into a wall, so don't place yourself in a position where you can be wall splatted.

Other than that I agree with most people that you need to apply pressure and not let up. Once you got his armor down that should be your cue to go in. If you backup and let him recharge his armor you're just doing exactly what he wants you to do.

You guys are awesome. Thank you so much for this detailed info. The shield and the knockdown immunity had me really confused, and my playstyle is an aggressive leg sweep combo, heavy attack when they're down, repeat to keep them on the ground, two or three times until I'm out of stamina. At that point I always pull back and wait for my stamina to refill, but I guess that plays into this guy's hand. He has so much health, and Valk's damage is so damn low, that while this method works beautifully for most classes I've met this beast of a muffin-fan just soaks it all up.

I'll start practising against guard breaks too. That's something I haven't done yet at all, and seems key against this guy. I've been focusing on dodging and attack chains so far, staying aggressive.

Lord Phol

Can you get the head accessories as loot? I know you get a few from completing the campaign but I haven't received any after that.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Can you get the head accessories as loot? I know you get a few from completing the campaign but I haven't received any after that.

Pretty sure you have to use steel for them. The ones from campaign are set, some are locked to realistic difficulty and mythic costumes too.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I cannot beat the last mission on realistic. Her last phase is just too much... fight drags on forever and you have to replay the whole thing if you die.

Ugh... was soooo close today. Even failed in co-op a few nights ago.

I don't really like playing as a roach either. I'd spank her with Warden. lol

Arttemis

How long are each of the campaign chapters?
Each 6 missions long, with a couple being 2-parts. I really enjoyed the campaign, and I'm still replaying it to get all the observables (since Ubisoft can't make stable multiplayer games).

I highly recommend playing Realistic mode, as leaning to pay attention to the enemies' animations makes you much more familiar with each class's skill set.

Kalentan

They need to make a punishment for leaving matches. It sucks when I'm in a duel, I throw a guy off a ledge and they rage quit. It's dumb.

deoee

Fuck this network issues,

I can't finish half the games and it takes ages to find a new one.

I'm literally stuck at "Recovering Gameplay state" since 5 minutes now.

How can something that works in 100% of other games be so SO broken in this shit show?

Each 6 missions long, with a couple being 2-parts. I really enjoyed the campaign, and I'm still replaying it to get all the observables (since Ubisoft can't make stable multiplayer games).

I highly recommend playing Realistic mode, as leaning to pay attention to the enemies' animations makes you much more familiar with each class's skill set.

Yeah I'm using it to learn about classes I would have otherwise never use lol

lionpants

I cannot beat the last mission on realistic. Her last phase is just too much... fight drags on forever and you have to replay the whole thing if you die.

Ugh... was soooo close today. Even failed in co-op a few nights ago.

I don't really like playing as a roach either. I'd spank her with Warden. lol
Ya, it was brutal for Arttemis and I when we cooped it.

The self heal and unblockable feat are a must. We also cheesed it a bit with the poison traps. When she gains revenge. Just run.

Marvel

could never
What are people spending steel on? Seems mostly pointless.
One mythic skin (Nobu), a Kensei execution... some upgrades. Saving my steel now for darkness effect and Warden's executions and emotes. I'll have to have some steel set aside for the rep 3+gear tho. Getting close to it.

Wish we earned more, such a lust for steel.

Im on ps4 and I`ve yet to have been able to connect to a dominion match, It says vert high activity but it just sits there looking for people after 5-8 min I get bored and go play a different mode. Duels or brawls will say low activity and I get matched with in a second.

Also on a side note I feel like Im getting activity worse at this game, I went from holding my own at least a little to getting steam rolled by every duel. I just cant get my brain to move my block towards the big glowing arrow. It feels like I seen as I respond they have already hit me 9 times from every direction lol

Arttemis

Im on ps4 and I`ve yet to have been able to connect to a dominion match, It says vert high activity but it just sits there looking for people after 5-8 min I get bored and go play a different mode. Duels or brawls will say low activity and I get matched with in a second.

Also on a side note I feel like Im getting activity worse at this game, I went from holding my own at least a little to getting steam rolled by every duel. I just cant get my brain to move my block towards the big glowing arrow. It feels like I seen as I respond they have already hit me 9 times from every direction lol
When I last tried, I'd connect for 90 seconds and get booted, losing all of my kills and executions.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Just played a Dominion match where one of my teammates had an open mic. Dude first gives me crap for not assisting in a 3v1 when I instead captured the opposing team's area. Then he gets pissy at the entire team for holding point 'A' instead of pushing for 'B'. We humored him for a sec and when we started to get 'B' we lost 'A'. One teammate is like 'fuck it', takes back 'A' and holds it down for most of the game while we went and did our thing. We won and the rest of us on the team proceeded to give the guy shit. :lol

Skyzard

Banned
It's pretty nuts that you have to complete 30 contracts (...thirty!) to get a 3K helm.

Common ubi.

What are people spending steel on? Seems mostly pointless.

Nothing!

18 hours played and I have like 8k - 1/3 of that is from the 2 tutorials :/ I wanna buy way too much.

Also, I hope they aren't delaying PC patches due to console certification and parity. Please no. Need guard break fix.

Sounds a bit like NAT issues to me - able to connect to a few players but not all for a 4v4... could be wrong though. It should be colour coded (NAT) somewhere in-game, green is optimal. Might need to forward ports if it's red(?), not sure which though.

It's pretty nuts that you have to complete 30 contracts (...thirty!) to get a 3K helm.

Common ubi.

Nothing!

18 hours played and I have like 8k - 1/3 of that is from the 2 tutorials :/

Also, I hope they aren't delaying PC patches due to console certification and parity. Please no. Need guard break fix.

Sounds a bit like NAT issues to me - able to connect to a few players but not all for a 4v4... could be wrong though. It should be colour coded (NAT) somewhere in-game, green is optimal. Might need to forward ports if it's red(?), not sure which though.

Ya my NAT is green, also I had no issues in the beta connecting to Dominion. Ive been trying for days now, I have also reset my router. Is there something I might be missing?

Unless you guys have the season pass I'd recommend holding back on spending steel until we have an idea for the price of new characters. If the game's current economy and R6: Siege are any indication they are probably going to be pretty expensive. In guessing 10-12k each, maybe more.

Top Bottom