• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For Honor World Premiere Trailer (Ubi Montreal, Musou-ish Chivalry-ish AC-ish combat)

It came to my attention that the footage shown during the conference was lacking the HUD that you can see here https://youtu.be/sp3NKQlJPuo?t=91

And parrying without it looks kinda difficoult, frankly I think that gameplay was pre-recorded.

I guess they wanted to show the best gameplay possibile but to do it that way...meh

It came to my attention that the footage shown during the conference was lacking the HUD that you can see here https://youtu.be/sp3NKQlJPuo?t=91

And parrying without it looks kinda difficoult, frankly I think that gameplay was pre-recorded.

I guess they wanted to show the best gameplay possibile but to do it that way...meh

Animations are very readable, I can see myself getting used to no HUD for parrying.
I just hope the HUD is customisable enough to choose what I want shown and what I don't. That HUD is too intrusive, but I do like some info on screen.

Didn't watch the Ubi press conference and just stumbled over this, looks brutal and has real potential, adds Hodor to the already huge E3 most wanted list.

Enosh

Didn't watch the Ubi press conference and just stumbled over this, looks brutal and has real potential, adds Hodor to the already huge E3 most wanted list.
hodor-1024.png

hodor

Animations are very readable, I can see myself getting used to no HUD for parrying.
I just hope the HUD is customisable enough to choose what I want shown and what I don't. That HUD is too intrusive, but I do like some info on screen.

The whole thing is hideous so I get why they didn't show it on screen, but yeah, looking it the second time it looks real enough, the part with the response to the taunt seems legit.

Gxgear

The Division looked good too the first time they showed it. Will wait until all the facts are in for a game that's looks very focused on multiplayer.

DJIzana

I'm super excited about this game. Excited about a lot of western titles this year. More than ANY year since I've never really been a fan of them.

The fact I can play as a samurai is super appealing but just the overall aesthetic of the game is REALLY well done. The character designs for the knights and samurai, in particular, really caught my eye. I want this game...

Walpurgis

Banned
This is my dream game, a game that I have thought about ever since I was a kid. I would watch movies like The Lord of the Rings and see these epic fantasy battles and think, wouldn't be cool if a game could recreate those? Most developers do it by having a typical combat system that does not translate to multiplayer so I am stuck mowing down enemy AI grunts and it doesn't feel like I am in a dangerous battle. This is why Assassin's Creed multiplayer doesn't have melee combat in its PvP and it is also why action games like Batman and Devil May Cry can't have PvP multiplayer.

The problem with these games is that they make the player too powerful, enemies cannot stun you and the combat is combo based - it doesn't translate to multiplayer. The only console developer that put the player and enemies on equal footing with a careful combat system was Fromsoftware but their combat is less realistic and more fantastical. On the PC side, I know of Mount and Blade, a low budget game with realistic medieval combat that has clearly inspired this. I am SO happy to see Ubisoft Montreal tackle this issue and I hope it leads to more games like this on consoles because, right now, there is nothing else like it.

Sande

The Division looked good too the first time they showed it. Will wait until all the facts are in for a game that's looks very focused on multiplayer.
This doesn't look "no way that's real" good like Division and Watch Doges did. Not to mention that people were actually playing it on the show floor. It's real and can pretty much only get better.

This is my dream game, a game that I have thought about ever since I was a kid. I would watch movies like The Lord of the Rings and see these epic fantasy battles and think, wouldn't be cool if a game could recreate those? Most developers do it by having a typical combat system that does not translate to multiplayer so I am stuck mowing down enemy AI grunts and it doesn't feel like I am in a dangerous battle. This is why Assassin's Creed multiplayer doesn't have melee combat in its PvP and it is also why action games like Batman and Devil May Cry can't have PvP multiplayer.

The problem with these games is that they make the player too powerful, enemies cannot stun you and the combat is combo based - it doesn't translate to multiplayer. The only console developer that put the player and enemies on equal footing with a careful combat system was Fromsoftware but their combat is less realistic and more fantastical. On the PC side, I know of Mount and Blade, a low budget game with realistic medieval combat that has clearly inspired this. I am SO happy to see Ubisoft Montreal tackle this issue and I hope it leads to more games like this on consoles because, right now, there is nothing else like it.

You seriously should play M&B. Get Warband+Vikings expansion, even though the sandbox campaign can be slow-paced, there is nothing more thrilling than two armies of hundreds of soldiers crash into each other, and every one of those soldiers is an actual threat to you and your forces (unless your army is way higher level than theirs or the difficulty sliders are low, though watching a small enemy force suicidally charge to to their deaths is also entertaining once in a while).

There's also Mount and Blade II: Bannerlord to look forward to, which seems to be vastly improved from its predecessor at least as far as visuals are concerned, and the devs are promising there'll be all sorts of gameplay improvements, too.

Walpurgis

Banned
You seriously should play M&B. Get Warband+Vikings expansion, even though the sandbox campaign can be slow-paced, there is nothing more thrilling than two armies of hundreds of soldiers crash into each other, and every one of those soldiers is an actual threat to you and your forces (unless your army is way higher level than theirs or the difficulty sliders are low, though watching a small enemy force suicidally charge to to their deaths is also entertaining once in a while).

There's also Mount and Blade II: Bannerlord to look forward to, which seems to be vastly improved from its predecessor at least as far as visuals are concerned, and the devs are promising there'll be all sorts of gameplay improvements, too.

I don't have a gaming PC but hope to have one in time for Bannerlord. It looks a lot better but is taking forever.

I wasn't aware that this will have varied, named characters (of both genders) from each type. Or that there would be split-screen. Or a campaign. Or that the director made Red Steel 2. Exciting shit.

And how often does a studio bring a really early build that lacks features to E3 just to preach about core game mechanics... Props to them.

RiverBed

Banned
This is one of my show stoppers at E3 and one of the big surprises. The gameplay looks brutal, beautiful and I just feel I want to play it immediately. This is definitely on top of my list for upcoming games to watch. I love how the sword fight feels heavy and decisive. It gives the feeling your head can be split in two at any moment. Heck, even the presenter looked like a viking.
for-honor-e3-guy1.jpg

:D
I see my self blowing off steam in this game and having many a cut throat battles. Kudos Ubi!

Top Bottom