• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For Sea Manky: Destruction Derby Sucks -- Penny Arcade

Excerpt from today's PA editorial:

"I picked up the most recent issue of Official Playstation Magazine yesterday. I grabbed it because I saw it had a demo of Burnout 3 on the disk. I’ll just say I was not disappointed. That game is shit hot and I highly recommend you go get a copy of it for yourself. My only complaint is that after the one race they allow you in the demo you are kicked all the way back out to the main menu of the disk. I guess this is because they want to remind you that there are other games and movies available there but the only thing you’re going to want to play is Burnout. I almost feel bad for the other racing game demos on the disk. Maybe they didn’t know their game would be featured alongside Burnout 3. As I drove one of their destruction derby cars around a crappy looking track at approximately five miles per hour I actually felt embarrassed for them."

User 406

Banned
Just FYI, the demo they are referring to is not Destruction Derby Arenas, it's Test Drive: Eve of Destruction. And they're right, it's a steaming pile of ass. The demolition derby parts played like this one simplistic old arcade game that I can't recall the name of, and the racing parts were a snorefest with very little in the way of actual crashing. The suicide mode involved two sets of cars going the opposite way around a simple oval track, and the objective was to avoid being hit? Fuck that, the whole point of a demolition racing game is to SMASH THE HELL OUT OF OTHER CARS! DDA is far and away better, since it actually rewards skillful crashing. A demolition derby game that doesn't involve scoring points for spinning opponents and hard hits is a waste of time.

WarPig

Eve of Destruction is actually kinda fun in a really redneckety way if you're playing the full version with all the different race modes. I would agree that Burnout 3 is a lot more fun, though.

DFS.

Matlock

Banned
DDA is kinda meh, but I agree with DFS on this one--EoD looks cool in that rednecky kind of way. I'll probably get it when it hits 30$.

Top Bottom