• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For the graphics whores: Titanic rendered in CryEngine 3 [Update: New Video]

FyreWulff

Holy cucumbers!!

Pre-rendered backgrounds are, as of this moment, officially obsolete.

Not really. If you have an use for them, you can just render out your background as an FMV (ala REmake) and then dump all the poly power into the player character that's superimposed over the background.

An interesting take though would be that if CryEngine 3 is easy to use like this, you can use it to make your backgrounds and then use it to render the character over the prerendered background.

You know... Something that would be worth a fucken shit load of money to the first person to do it would be the company that undertakes and completes the task of rendering the entire world - earth in this level of quality.

Literally like a virtual reality. A company like Google could do it. Instead of paying thousands of dollars to actually go places you could explore Crysis Earth. They should just start with a city or a building and just grow it and grow it... Computers are capable enough to render it, they just need to ensure that the models are future proofed so that the work doesn't need to be done again.

It needs to be done! And I mean completely! Imagine how absurdly crazy even just a single city being released rendered exactly as it is? Like Tokyo, even if it was empty, if it could have some sort of destruction I would get pleasure out of just exploring every nook and cranny.

If this is the next jump in gaming then I'm done. I don't want things to be this realistic.

Why would you say that? I love this shit! Art style, "better than real" looking beautiful.

Fantasy make believe locations.

Sci-fi.

Doing things in realistic environments that just couldn't normally be done!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
There are still people coming up with stuff to keep those 2d backgrounds alive, from Siggraph Asia, cool stuff ;) : Rendering Synthetic Objects into Legacy Photographs

Would be awesome to see another Resident Evil with actual high resolution photographs for each stage as seen in that video. Put the majority of the pixel allotment on the main character model, enemies and other rendered assets.

If this is the next jump in gaming then I'm done. I don't want things to be this realistic.

I'd say the implications goes both ways. You've got the ability to make extremely realistic environments but you also have the ability to leverage that technology to create even more believable fantasy worlds.

cbox

Woah, never actually played it, but I do remember frequently seeing that game box in my local computer stores back then.

What kind of game is it ? That box always gave me the impression it was in the same genre as Myst or Riven.

Almost identical, though you could interact with humans, (which looked damn freaky and suddenly appeared on the screen from time to time, making me jump on occasion )

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Oh man reminds me of,

HEFDX.jpg

Looks OUTSTANDING.

I love this game. I still have this game.

I can speed run it, I've played it so much lol

It still runs on Windows 7, interestingly enough.

Someone recorded the entire thing on youtube if you want to check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYLjkR4vCmo&feature=related

Angry Fork

Someone send this to Cliffy B he'll ejaculate multiple times easily.

Seriously though that's gorgeous. Is there any way to try this out ourselves?

Interesting that in the one room, he ducked when in front of the mirror. Makes me wonder if they don't have reflections down.

I thought it was something to do with the character model that they didn't want you to see, if you look at the shadow of the character it looks like the incredible hulk so I guess they're probably using something that would look out of place on the Titanic.

Yeah I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

I would, seems more advanced than CE3 at this stage:

http://www.youtube.com/user/traktamente
http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20111012_483045.html
http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20111012_483046.html

I thought it was something to do with the character model that they didn't want you to see, if you look at the shadow of the character it looks like the incredible hulk so I guess they're probably using something that would look out of place on the Titanic.

Nah, CryEngine 3 only supports cubemap reflections and screen space reflections. True mirrors are not supported.

Now that I've seen the future, I can confidently say that I am completely satisfied with the present. Looks good, but I'll wait for a few price drops.

Thanks Crytek!

amdnv

In which case, what need is there to emulate that in a game, if your eyes do it automatically?
For your eyes to perceive motion as blurry, an object has to be moving physically.
When you play a game you're just looking at successive still frames on a stationary display, so of course your eyes don't create any motion blur, which is why it has to be drawn into the frames by the game engine.

There is nothing more advanced than CE 3 in this presentation except cloth simulation, which can be easily implemented via for example Havoc.

It shows better animation, proper local reflections, simulated particles (not sprites), tesselated cloth for characters. Certainly much more advanced than what we've seen in Crysis 2 DX11.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This makes me excited for next gen, while still being happy with what you have now.

You know... Something that would be worth a fucken shit load of money to the first person to do it would be the company that undertakes and completes the task of rendering the entire world - earth in this level of quality.

Literally like a virtual reality. A company like Google could do it. Instead of paying thousands of dollars to actually go places you could explore Crysis Earth. They should just start with a city or a building and just grow it and grow it... Computers are capable enough to render it, they just need to ensure that the models are future proofed so that the work doesn't need to be done again.

It needs to be done! And I mean completely! Imagine how absurdly crazy even just a single city being released rendered exactly as it is? Like Tokyo, even if it was empty, if it could have some sort of destruction I would get pleasure out of just exploring every nook and cranny.

You could... I don't know... buy a plane ticket and explore it yourself.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Another impressive looking waste of time.

What a cynical piece of shit opinion you have there. Seriously, what the fuck?

How is experimenting with any sort of technology a waste of time, especially considering these results? Even on a micro, personal level to the developer, this is one hell of a resume-builder.

Think for a second, McFly. Think!

Aeonin

Would be awesome to see another Resident Evil with actual high resolution photographs for each stage as seen in that video. Put the majority of the pixel allotment on the main character model, enemies and other rendered assets.

I would love to see that, sort of like a RE-REmake. It would really free up resources for all kinds of great effects/lighting/models.

.GqueB.

Banned
What a cynical piece of shit opinion you have there. Seriously, what the fuck?

How is experimenting with any sort of technology a waste of time, especially considering these results? Even on a micro, personal level to the developer, this is one hell of a resume-builder.

Think for a second, McFly. Think!

Things like this just bore me. Why not create something from scratch instead? He clearly has the talent from what I see here. This reminds me of photorealistic painting. You spend all of this time painting every detail, every nook and cranny, every shadow and in the end it just looks like a photo. This is kind of a waste of time no?

I dont know. Its just my opinion. I can see how someone can be impressed by this but it make me yawn hard.

Mr_Zombie

Things like this just bore me. Why not create something from scratch instead? He clearly has the talent from what I see here.

Because it's easier to recreate something that exists instead of designing a whole new thing?
If the guy just wants to experiment with the engine why should he "waste" time designing something completely from a scratch?

.GqueB.

Banned
Because it's easier to recreate something that exists instead of designing a whole new thing?
If the guy just wants to experiment with the engine why should he "waste" time designing something completely from a scratch?

Just explaining my original feeling towards it. It bores me. What do you want me to do? I cant force myself to be impressed by it. As I said, I can see how someone would like it though. Cool lighting and all.

Top Bottom