• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those who are playing Horizon and Zelda, which world do you enjoy exploring more?

Griss

You haven't even experienced the best part about the game if you're now just headed to
Meridian.
The game really opens up from there.

Glad to hear it. It's a good game, I'm enjoying it. It just feels a bit derivative at the moment, and suffers hugely for me from following Zelda. It feels a bit like the best bits from other open world games cobbled together - very impressive, but lacking a tiny bit of soul.

But it'd be a GotY contender in any year but this one, where Zelda has that wrapped up.

_Clash_

Does Horizon place significant emphasis on exploration?

Haven't played it,but this thread I feel is gonna be a Zelda stampede with a small minority that found Horizon exploration life changing and better articulating that.

And the rest will be war

Horizon shouldn't be constantly compared to Zelda

Schnozberry

Horizon <3

It's open world but it's the perfect size in my opinion with a great story which I find lacking in Zelda.

What is it about Zelda's story you find lacking? By the time I recovered all the memories and journals, I thought it told a rather moving redemption story about two people who struggled with the burden of destiny and their role in it. There was a lot to look for and uncover, and I'm assuming that's what people objected to.

New002

Doesn't seem like a fair comparison. Very different approaches.

Horizon. I love the lore, the different cultures, the machines. It's incredible.

Zelda is just Zelda again.

Ridiculous statement. I'm actually enjoying Zelda for once because it's NOT just Zelda again.

Drek

Open world is not a genre, it is a framework, like a canvas or some other base material art is created on top of. Horizon is an adventure game using an open work framework to enable a large scale combat and hunting mechanic. BotW is an exploration game. Of course the exploration game has better exploration. This is why Horizon has better story, NPCs, pacing, and combat.

Horizon is comparable to Red Dead more than anything else. BotW is more like Morrowind or Far Cry 2. They aren't even trying to be remotely similar games. Comparing them is like comparing Street Fighter and Overwatch because they share a player v. player framework.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Does Horizon place significant emphasis on exploration?

Haven't played it,but this thread I feel is gonna be a Zelda stampede with a small minority that found Horizon exploration life changing and better articulating that.

And the rest will be war

Horizon shouldn't be constantly compared to Zelda

I'm going to be honest I find Zelda is a bit too open in some ways for me. You can do so much but I'm not going to lie that a lot of it isn't very fun or interesting for me. I said it earlier but I love how open and flexible the climbing can be but the actual climbing mechanic is by no means that fun to me. Its workable and it gets you all kinds of places but I don't like doing it all that much. Same for things like horse riding. There is a ton of depth to it but I don't actually really like it a ton, it works to get me form place to place and looks good and all that but again I don't feel drawn to do it if I don't have to.

This doesn't mean its bad and I actually think the open world itself is more interesting and varied and larger in Zelda but I just prefer the moment to moment gameplay and acftion gameplay focus of Horizon. Just trekking to a quest turns into a crazy sprawling action adventure trip that rivals some of the best character action games for me. I love the combat, the enemies, the controls and everything about it.

They're both great games and at the top of their class but Horizon edges it out. I also enjoy the story more so in Horizon though I haven't beaten Zelda yet. Horizon has a surprisingly well done scifi story and a lot varied elements come together to do something really special. I won't spoil it but I've seen similar stories to Horizon but few if any come close to pulling it off as well.

Also Horizon has the better villain
FUCK YOU TED FARO

dolce

Banned
Zelda is more fun to explore. There's hidden shrines and secrets littered throughout the world. Horizon has better combat, but Zelda has better game design and a more interesting open world.

I love both. Zelda is soo open... to a point where I'm not sure what I should do next. Horizon is more casual in the sense that you always know where to go and what to do. That's a huge reason why Zelda is more interesting to explore... it doesn't direct you where to go. Finding some shrine, or area a main mission is located is an adventure in itself. Zelda doesn't give you a waypoint on a map or radar, it gives you clues and you explore to find your destination.

With that said, sometimes I'm just not in the mood for Zelda's openness. It's a masterpiece, and I think it's a better game than Horizon, but sometimes I'm just in the mood for a game like Horizon that tells me exactly where to go and what to do.

What percentage of people posting have honestly played both games?

I have and finish Horizon. I am on my way to Vah Naboris. I have taken down three of the four Divine Beasts. 56 shrines and I have unlocked all the map. 

Horizon is a fantastic game - don't get me wrong. The story was magnificent. But Zelda is on another level IMO. The world is just amazing. There is so much to do and see. If I had to choose a game to play between the two, I'd pick Zelda comfortably.

Open world is not a genre, it is a framework, like a canvas or some other base material art is created on top of. Horizon is an adventure game using an open work framework to enable a large scale combat and hunting mechanic. BotW is an exploration game. Of course the exploration game has better exploration. This is why Horizon has better story, NPCs, pacing, and combat.

Horizon is comparable to Red Dead more than anything else. BotW is more like Morrowind or Far Cry 2. They aren't even trying to be remotely similar games. Comparing them is like comparing Street Fighter and Overwatch because they share a player v. player framework.

When did "exploration" become a genre? Never heard a game described as just "an exploration game" before. And I think describing BotW as that is extremely reductive. It's a lot more than an exploration game... RPG and action/adventure elements are big parts of it too.

I haven't played either, bit the photo mode in horizon makes for some surprising excellent photography from a natural beauty perspective.

Zelda on the other hand has this element of mysterious to me that makes for interesting exploration and is captivating.

I wish Zelda could have Horizons photo mode. Majesty and Mystery.

deadlast

Two new games with big open worlds, which of the two would you say you enjoy more and why? Or do you love both just as much equally?
I love both games. Someone said that Horizon's approach to open world is the old familiar way, and that Zelda's approach is the way. I totally agree with that assessment. Both teams made magic happen.

I like exploring Zelda because it's easy to move around and get to new locations. I feel like they rewarded you for trying stuff. Be able to do do things that make sense, and the lack of hand holding is fantastic.

However, Horizon has a mystery I am craving to unravel. It's also more treacherous. I feel like exploring reveals more of the story in Horizon.

I really hope more open world games learn from these 2 games.

Now if WB would make a shadows of mordor game with a hobbit as the main character , and took all of the great stuff from Horizon and BotW, I would be extremely pleased.

I've not played BotW but I'm failing to understand the comments of the first few posts. In Horizon, I love coming to a new area and not only seeing new environments and vistas, but new robot creatures patrolling or grazing in the area. That is the incentive to explore in its world, not collectibles (and although I'm still early in the game, there are those too).

It's a different incentive but it's still a good one when the combat is oh so fun and enjoyable (I'm playing on very hard).

Drek

When did "an exploration game" become a genre? Never heard a game described as that before. And I think describing BotW as "an exploration game" is extremely reductive. It's a lot more than an exploration game, I would say it has as much RPG and action/adventure elements in it as it does exploration.
I mean, I'd call it an immersive sim if it was first person and had a shrine solved with some permutation on 0451, but it isn't and doesn't.

The stereotypical genres are inaccurate to today's games but even then exploration has long been a type of game. Calling Morrowind and Final Fantasy X both RPGs isn't very indicative as to what the games actually play like, so why use nondescriptive labels?

Most games now are a precursor genre hybrid in some sense, but have a primary focus for the player's experience. it is reductive to jam them in an "open world" genre or just "3rd person action" when better adjectives fit both. That ignores that if open world is a genre we basically live in a one genre industry now.

Astra

Well, from a pure exploration viewpoint, I'd give it to Zelda. That was a game I would just spend hours wandering Hyrule aimlessly discovering tons of neat little details placed around the world.

Horizon, I don't really wander aimlessly. I always have a goal, whether that be a quest, or gathering components or collectibles. The world is beautiful, but I feel no real incentive to just venture out and explore it with no particular goal in mind.

However, Horizon really beats Zelda in combat. I have a lot of fun farming for components. Looking for the biggest machines, overriding some and getting into a big brawl with as many machines as I can.
In Zelda I would often actively avoid combat.

Both games are great though. I've finished Zelda and started Horizon immediately after. I couldn't put either game down.

Uh? It does, doesn't it? My map is riddled with metal flowers and ancient vezsels. Kind of regret buying those maps.

Well, around 60 of them. I think it's a perfect number for a world this size.
They're mostly placed pretty conveniently too where you can just grab them on your way to do other quests and such.

burgerdog

Loved every minute of the 64 hours I sunk into Horizon. Such a beautifully crafted world with an amazing story and yet I'm willing to give Zelda the nod after "only" spending 30 hours with it. I just can't believe how much fun it is to explore that world and always be rewarded for your exploration. If you see something interesting in the distance, chances are that theres something cool there. At no point do I ever feel like I need to fast travel, I only do it to backtrack if I need to do a specific task quickly and then I go back to my previous spot and resume the journey. It's magic.

Ugh this is the thread I've been dreading for the last couple of weeks, because I love both games sooooo much. However, BotW is just soooo frikin good. I love you Horizon!

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
What is it about Zelda's story you find lacking? By the time I recovered all the memories and journals, I thought it told a rather moving redemption story about two people who struggled with the burden of destiny and their role in it. There was a lot to look for and uncover, and I'm assuming that's what people objected to.

Zelda's story is a non-event. It all already happened, it's cliche ridden as hell even by Zelda standards, and the voice acting is pretty bad (adding Japanese voice option would be a nice bonus in the DLC, Nintendo). It's by far the weakest part of the game. Horizon crushes it in terms of storytelling and making the world an interesting narrative place. Zelda is more fun to explore physically but Horizon's world is far better from a lore standpoint.

Bought Horizon first because it came out first... was pleasantly surprised becuase I didn't hype it at all and bought it on release date because of all the positive reviews. Had Zelda preordered for over a year, played it soon as I got back from my vaca, went back to play Horizon.

Horizon took the current Open World "game" and distilled it to the best aspects.

Zelda fucking changed the "game" entirely in how the world is traversed and discovered. Two different experiences, and I enjoyed Zelda FAR more than Horizon.

(Horizon is still great, though. Don't get me wrong. It's just that Zelda is too. Fucking. Good.)

leng jai

Horizon is a great game for a multitude of reasons but despite the incredible visuals, the open world exploration is one of the weaker aspects of the game.

Chief_Mitch

I've sort of promised myself that i play Zelda on my way to and from work, and Horizon when i'm at home... But half the time i find that i'm playing Zelda at home as well. I honestly can't explain WHY exactly, obviously Horizon is the more 'beautiful' game to explore. But my curiosity or something just keeps on driving me to wanna play more Zelda instead! :D

I feel like Zelda's strength is definitely it's sense of discovery and exploration, that's what I like most about the game. While I have more fun with Horizon overall, I find exploring on Zelda to be more fun.

Horizon's open world is super nice to look at but there's not much to discover. They needed to include a little novelty, a little surprise. With that said, I feel that I'm more free to do as I please in Horizon. Zelda sort of pushes you towards its towers, which in themselves can be quite a bore. The map doesn't naturally unveil as the player progresses so it's quite formulaic in that particular regard.

Finished zelda and playing through horizon. The environments are gorgeous in horizon, but that sense of exploration and adventure is just not there. The gameplay feels like a third person shooter but with a bow? So far I don't like any of the npcs, they are quite boring and have treated alloy like shit.
I really need to see more of horizon to decide.

Morts

I think the two complement each other very well. I've been alternating which one I'm playing every night. Horizon has the incredible combat, and Zelda nails exploration and puzzles. When I'm playing Horizon I feel like I'm taking care of business while Zelda is a much slower paced experience.

As far as lore I'm fascinated by the world that Horizon has built and I don't really care about the story in Zelda at all.

Zelda and it's no contest.

In Zelda the sight lines are constantly open and you can climb anywhere. You constantly feel like you have a good grasp of the lay of the land, and where you've been and where you're headed.

In Horizon you have this narrow field of view of whatever's in front of you, and it's peppered with these stupid UI collectible markers, and you can't really interact with the environment much, and barely vertically at all.

Bullshit.. no contest? No verticality? LOL a narrow field of view... nothing you say can make me believe you played Horizon, or gave it a fair shot to begin with.

I'll be getting a switch and Zelda this week so no comparison from me. But Horizons open world will be very hard to top.

While I love Horizon, a couple of Zeldas still hold their place in my favorite games of all time and will gladly put BOTW in it.

Horizons open world is not about doing some puzzles or cutting up some trees. It's not open-ended. There is a story there. It's world is owned by the player. A playground if you will..

VARIA

Can't comment on Horizon, but Zelda is the best open world game I have ever played. The freedom given to you and the control you have over your environment is on another level. The hyperbole is real.

Probably won't play Zelda ever but here's an idea:

The world of Horizon exist for two big purposes. First because of the story (yes, the story/lore is the most important aspect of Horizon) and second because of its combat.

So, exploration in Horizon is to exploit those two aspects, story/lore and combat, take that away and there's literally nothing left.

As I said, I haven't played Zelda but I think the world there doesn't exist because of the story or its combat, the idea is to adventure and live within it, something you can't nor should want do in Horizon.

The question (if I get Zelda right) is: Do you want to follow a good sci fi story with exhilarating combat? Or do you want to make your own story and become an adventurer?

Both games have little to teach to each other because both want to accomplish very different things even if they share features.

Xeteh

I really like both games but I'm going to lean towards Horizon. Horizon's history made me want to find out everything I could about that world, wandering around finding new machines to fight and new NPCs was super interesting to me. BotW isn't a slouch by any stretch but I feel like I need to be prepared constantly, I can find something I can't handle and that is less enjoyable to me.

MildSoss

Having played both so far and still not done with any of them it's Botw by a country mile.

While Horizon has the more fun combat, the world and exploration of Botw is head and shoulders above every thing else out there right now.

Its really apples to oranges

H:ZD wants to tell a story and uses the open world as a tool to connect the story beats

Z:BotW wants to give you an open world to explore and uses the story as a tool to connect all the places you explore

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
"Zelda is just Zelda again."

We know that's bait, Colin.

I do think the op is slightly unfair. Exploration is not horizon's strongsuit, it's like asking which one has better graphics, or voice acting, or story.

At the moment Horizon. Playing Horizon on my Pro first then playing Zelda docked really soured my experience. The jaggies in BotW were cutting my eyes. Now I just play handheld sporadically until I finish Horizon. Aloy is such a joy to handle and I love going through the world fighting robots.

BotW looks like a game that encourages and rewards exploration and adventure, but the world and combat isn't very interesting. Conversly, Horizon dazzles you with natural environments and thrilling combat encounters, but doesn't give you a reason to go anywhere or do anything beyond that.

big_z

I thought horizon was kind of boring and feels like a last gen game design wise. Looks amazing though.

Zelda Ive played a ton and still find new stuff. It's set a new open world standard imo.

Jacobson

Its really apples to oranges

H:ZD wants to tell a story and uses the open world as a tool to connect the story beats

Z:BotW wants to give you an open world to explore and uses the story as a tool to connect all the places you explore

I agree 100%. Both are fantastic games.

jb1234

I suppose Zelda but honestly, they're going after different things. I think if you made a game with Zelda's exploration and Horizon's story/characters, you'd have a masterpiece. As it is, each game is missing something that the other has.

Top Bottom