• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those with Pro controllers: are back buttons/levers useful?

RCU005

With PlayStation announcing Dualsense Edge, it makes the second official controller to come with back buttons. However, both are part of a Pro-focus lineup and therefore much more expensive.

The only company that has tried different controller styles and features is Nintendo. PlayStation has improved upon the DualShock and Xbox has had an if-it-ain’t-broke-don’t-fix-it approach with their controllers.

Many features have become standard such as double shoulder buttons/triggers, rumble and hopefully soon gyro. I’ve always thought that back buttons would be a great idea in order to introduce more buttons, but really never as a Pro way. Also, back buttons have been used just as a remap of other buttons and not new inputs.

So are those really useful in games? To me, at the very least they should exist to replace L3 and R3. I don’t know who thought of making the sticks clickable. They beak easy and are so uncomfortable, specially when having to hold push.

But what uses do people actually have for them (whether Pro or not)?

Was the back button attachment for DualShock 4 something that people liked in general (for using, not quality-wise)?

I wish the back buttons stay as a standard in every controller but as new inputs. There has to be someone who designs a game where having more inputs could be beneficial for a game right?

What other features or buttons do you think could make a game better if it was standard?

Last edited:

TexMex

I'm pretty dedicated to Playstation but I recently got the Elite Series 2. It's honestly one of if not the best controller I've used.

I'm not some competitive FPS player so I'm sure there are better uses but they make a lot of games just flat out more comfortable to play. I'm playing through Dark Souls 3 right now so as an example, it's so nice to map B to a back paddle so that you can sprint/run while not having to take your thumb off the right stick to manipulate the camera so you can do both at the same time. They really offer small quality of life improvements in ways you don't think about and then you'll wonder how you played without them.

Kagey K

Banned
I usually use 2 paddles mapped to A and B (X and O for PS) this gives more more maneuverability in most games, as I can jump and slide without taking my thumb off the second stick. That way I can stay trained on them while doing acrobatics around them.

It takes a bit to get used to, but once you start using them it's hard to go back.

Wohc

Banned
I don't own any controller right now, but i know it can be very useful in some games where you often need both analog sticks at the same time but also have to press one of the 4 buttons for jumping / crouching or whatever. Can really be a game changer in multiplayer games.

If you want to try them yourself without paying much, just get the FPS dominator. The paddles feel great, and you don't ever have to use the mods BS. I prefer it to Sony's back button attachment, but that's not a bad option either. It's a shame that none of them work on PS5, and Sony's stupidly only putting two paddles on their new controller.

But paddles work well, and improve the feel of a lot of games.

Jennings

Absolutely, yes. I only use 2/4 of them and I generally have them mapped to the stick-presses since I can never seem to depress my thumbsticks without fucking up my aim etc.

It's rare I use all four paddles, but when I do it's usually for games that have way too many fucking mapping options.

Last edited:

PSYGN

The only company that has tried different controller styles and features is Nintendo. PlayStation has improved upon the DualShock and Xbox has had an if-it-ain’t-broke-don’t-fix-it approach with their controllers.

On the topic of back buttons, XBOX were the first to offer a first party back button alternative variation of their standard controller.

Back buttons shine most in FPS games especially multiplayer where you want full control over your character at all times, but once you get used to that then it makes many other games feel more fluid. I feel limited now whenever I have to play an FPS games with a controller and no back button.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
All controllers I've bought since 2014 have had back buttons/paddles. Started out with 2 buttons and switched to 4 buttons later on.

Today I mod my controllers, cause my experience with 3rd parties like Scuf and Aim Controllers have been really bad in the past.

Sadly the Edge only have 2 back buttons - if it had 4 I would instantly buy, cause the interchangeable potentiometers has potential to be upgraded with Hall Effect sensors from 3rd parties. Trigger-stops are a nice addition too, but I'll be modding a new controller specifically for FPS with micro-switch triggers, and that's like adding mouse buttons to a controller.

Back buttons/paddles makes a huge difference for games where removing your thumb from the right stick can be crucial. Specifically for FPS/TPS a longer right stick is even more important than back buttons, cause it gives way better aim.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I won’t pay for the Dualsense Pro, but I do have an Elite v2.

The paddles are useful in shooters mainly. So in Gears I can wall bounce, sprint, active reload all without taking my thumb of the analogue stick. (The right analogue, the one for aiming; usually you’d have to take your thumb off it to hit ABXY, XOtrianglesquare).

In Apex I can sprint, jump, pick up weapons all without taking my thumb off the joy stick.

Paired with the hair lock triggers it gives you a small advantage.

Personally I’d they’d just sell official controllers with digital triggers and with 2 back buttons I’d take that any day. But they won’t.

Last edited:

Calverz

The paddles on the elite 2 are a game changer. Especially for halo. Being able to jump, crouch and ping without taking thumbs off sticks is a game changer.

Have tried many, and am settled with the Razer controllers. I have been using them for years, and can't go without them in any shooter/action game. The point is that you don't have to let go of the right thumbstick, and this is a massive pro for any game that requires usually both sticks. Personally I like Razer because their solution is that you have 2 back buttons and two extra buttons between the shoulder and trigger on the top. It is super comfy for me and beats all other. Unfortunately there is no Razer for PS5 so right now I use a mod that gives me 4 back buttons, it's okay but not really comfy.
Regarding the new PS5 pro controller, it's a ripoff imo. 2 back buttons is not worth the money, and the thumbstick replacing is making money of known defect that shouldn't exist in the first place...

Back in my console days, I found them very useful for FPS and racing games. I usually assigned sprint, crouch, reload and weapon switching which still allows me to look/aim without taking my thumb off. For racing games, I simply used them for shifting up or down and one assigned to a clutch. (Yes, I can drive a manual. You jealous auto license holders?)

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I can get the scuff controllers on discount. Does anyone have experience with the xbox version? I want a replacement for my elite 2 that won't have crappy bumper issues and I'm tempted to try the top of the line xbox one....I've heard scuff have quality issues though....sadge.

If you play games that a) have pace to them and b) require extensive use of the right stick or c) otherwise has some awkward inputs such as needing to hold a button while pressing other buttons rapidly, then yes, super useful.

demigod

For the love of god devs should not make the triggers as combo buttons(capcom) and also the L3/R3(from software).

I recently bought a steam deck and the back paddles are such a godsend that I bought an 8bit pro 2. Both of these are new inputs so i was able to map R2 and X as 1 button.

Back buttons are indispensable at this point.

I set them up for L3/R3 (stick buttons).

Some games like The Witcher 3 asks you to double click stick to call horse. Kinda ridiculous default button mapping and unplayable without back buttons.

Forsythia

Back buttons are indispensable at this point.

I set them up for L3/R3 (stick buttons).

Some games like The Witcher 3 asks you to double click stick to call horse. Kinda ridiculous default button mapping and unplayable without back buttons.
Same here, the stick buttons are quite annoying and I remapped them to the back paddles. Completely disabled them too. No more click to run bullshit.

bootaski

I logged more than 1000 hours in apex legends on ps4; being able to jump, crouch and slide without taking your thumb off the right thumbstick for aiming makes a huge difference, especially in higher levels of ranked play. The only way to do this is either to play claw or have back buttons to which you map circle and x.

I got to diamond IV, which would have been impossible without the ds4 back button attachment or a scuf controller. Playing claw is also bad for your hands. So the dualsense edge is great for anybody who's serious about fps on console, whether apex or call of duty or what have you.

CeeJay

We have 8 fingers and two thumbs yet standard controllers are ergonomically designed to only use just 2 of those 8 fingers.

Games (especially pc ports to console) can have some pretty complicated controls which means the developers have to get creative and use techniques such as Shift or item wheels to get all those controls mapped. Making back paddles standard is a good step forward but I want them to go much further. Sony have tried to move things forward with the touch pad, mic, gyro etc. But until these features are added to Xbox then third party developers won't integrate them into the core controls and they will never become standard. There are plenty of other additions that would be useful and they don't even need to be cutting edge tech, a click wheel like you see on the centre console in a car or even a standard mouse wheel would be really useful on a controller for using as an item selector, throttle on a flight/space game, scope zoom and general scrolling. Surely a rotary input on a controller would have more flexibility than the clickable analogue stick or the gyro that we have already?

Markio128

In my humble opinion, if you need to use extra buttons to play a game, then the controls are too complicated. I mean, why the fuck do we need to stick-click to run faster, when just pushing the stick to the max in any direction could be run, like Mario 64 did decades ago?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I won’t pay for the Dualsense Pro, but I do have an Elite v2.

The paddles are useful in shooters mainly. So in Gears I can wall bounce, sprint, active reload all without taking my thumb of the analogue stick. (The right analogue, the one for aiming; usually you’d have to take your thumb off it to hit ABXY, XOtrianglesquare).

In Apex I can sprint, jump, pick up weapons all without taking my thumb off the joy stick.

Paired with the hair lock triggers it gives you a small advantage.

Personally I’d they’d just sell official controllers with digital triggers and with 2 back buttons I’d take that any day. But they won’t.
Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

RCU005

why the fuck do we need to stick-click to run faster, when just pushing the stick to the max in any direction could be run, like Mario 64 did decades ago?
I’ve been saying this forever!! Mario 64 set the standard for 3D games! Why haven’t anyone followed properly? If I push the stick all the way, character should be running. I don’t get why the speed of the character is always slower, then having another butting to run faster.

Even worse is when they force you to walk but you have to push the stick all the way to move. Walking should only need a little push of the stick, like Mario 64!!

That’s why they are ANALOG sticks!!

L3 and R3 need to disappear! (Or at least use barely use them with only clicking once, not hold, not anything more) definitely no for common actions!

Last edited:
Depends on the controller's implementation. On the Steam controller where you can freely map them to your desired inputs, its useful then, but the PS4's back button accessory felt more limited and tacky to me

Matt_Fox

fTbh1YE.jpg

For those Gaffers who are dancing around the age of 50 this picture will need no introduction, it's a keyboard overlay for one of the best and most ambitious games of the 80s called Elite.

It helps make the point that gaming has dumbed down to be contained within the limits of a gamepad.

We can make additional paddle buttons for consoles, and they could and should be standard. How much better would Red Dead Redemption 2 have been if you didnt have to keep breaking up the gameplay to go into the menu? How about assigning health potions in Skyrim to the paddle buttons like you can assign them to hotkeys on PC? How about playing a RTS like the new Age of Empires on XSX rather than just on PC?

Forget remapping existing buttons, that's useless. Additional inputs is the next iteration that is long overdue on consoles.

Z O N E

100% yes. I can't even go back to default controllers anymore as they feel too limiting.

Although the quality control of the Xbox Elite controller is questionable, what it offers is AMAZING.

ever since i got an xbox elite controller forever ago......i pretty much buy all shooters for xbox instead of playstation. And i can barely function playing a shooter without the back paddles now.

i just use them for running, sliding/duck, reload/interact/pick-up and swap weapons. If i have to press a face button in a shooter i will lose my mind.

Top Bottom