• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Microsoft Fails To Capitalize On Sony’s Absence With A Surprisingly Light Xbox Scarlett Reveal

JimiNutz

Banned
MS tried to fit way too much in and the end result was that nothing was given enough time to shine.

Biggest what the fuck moments were the lack of Gears or Halo gameplay. I mean Gears is coming out in just a few months and we still have seen barely anything about the gameplay. Halo Infinite also still needs a big reveal to wash the bad taste of 5 out of many gamers mouths and I'm surprised that they still don't seem to have much to show of it.

The Scarlet tease was definitely underwhelming as well. The PS5 article in Wired gave more information and was more hype building...

The way they revealed the next xbox with quick cuts between people saying one line each. Like how does that build up any excitement?
"I play RPGs so loading screens are a thing."
"You've never seen frame-rates like this!"
"It eats monsters for breakfast."

Last edited:
So now 60 games + new console + new Elite Controller is 'light'. Microsoft has easily its 2 best E3s in a row since last decade. I guess people are still very salty about 2013-2017 and won't forgive.

The way they revealed the next xbox with quick cuts between people saying one line each. Like how does that build up any excitement?

Gen Z type of thing. Notice all new movies have so many quick cuts? That's what Gen Z likes. Personally I'm into long-takes like "The Godfather" or even many early 1980s films. But that doesn't sell in today's Fortnite culture.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
How did we go from "Microsoft is going to dominate E3" to "Actually, E3 isn't that big of a deal"?
they kinda did?
not sure how much more MONSTER you wanted their show to be.
i just got 15 games on my DL list on gamepass.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
"Wait until next E3" has been going on for years now. This time it was really disappointing because it was suppose to be their biggest E3 ever.
it was

you where expecting a free puppy for everyone?

demigod

How did we go from "Microsoft is going to dominate E3" to "Actually, E3 isn't that big of a deal"?

The same way "Sony showed no gameplay at their conference" and "How many E3 are they going to show TLoU2". Ya'll about to get a 3rd E3 of Halo.

They've revealed more than Sony has at this point. What exactly more could they have shown?

It's still 18 months away from launch.

It's always nice to see what the outer shell looks like but they might not even know yet.

And there was no way either Sony or MS are going to be giving away any detailed specs yet, and for good reason. They won't reveal those until it's too late for their competitor to change things.

Confirmation of HARDWARE BASED Raytracing is definitely interesting.

Last edited:
The argument that Sony is losing because they didn't show up is dumb. The fact that they haven't shown anything leaves me with more excitement. A much better feeling than the bad taste I have in my mouth after Microsoft's show

mango drank

And there was no way either Sony or MS are going to be giving away any detailed specs yet, and for good reason. They won't reveal those until it's too late for their competitor to change things.

Yup. They got cold feet, decided they didn't want to reveal too much and give Sony room to outmaneuver them.

Ol'Scratch

I think it comes down to presentation. We do not know at this time what will be better or what will be stronger. But Sony gets Cerny out there who you can get how he feels about it and he comes off as sincere and I would believe him. Microsoft gets people who come off like used car salesmen.

Geki-D

Banned
Ya'll about to get a 3rd E3 of Halo.
giphy.gif

It's true, though. Halo Infinite's second year at E3 and still no gameplay. It's gonna take them three years of stage shows to actually show off this game.

J4K

They've shown more than Sony has at this point. What exactly more could they have shown at this point?

We've heard rumors of two consoles -- some confirmation of that would be great. Wouldn't have minded more actual tech details on those two consoles, given that Sony ran out of the gate on this early and arguably already shared as much as MS just did.

Hell, MS went into wonderful detail on Scorpio at an E3, going into even describing power management/optimizing they were doing on every chip (The Hovis Method!)

More details on how they're planning to do streaming would have been cool, given that's a pretty big part of their strategy allegedly (I don't think the remote play they announced is really the full scope of what they're planning for their Stadia like streaming infra).

In short, it feels like they had the advantage of seeing Sony's cards in advance but still chose not to do the seemingly obligatory one-up. And this missed opportunity gets magnified by having everyone in the gaming world watching them swing weakly and miss on a grand stage.

Last edited:
They've revealed more than Sony has at this point. What exactly more could they have shown?

It's still 18 months away from launch.

That's the problem. They should've either shown more or less (as in mysterious hype, followed by soon).

Imagine your girlfriend teasing you with a blowjob. You're ready, you've been saving up and the sexual tension is high, she comes closer, pulls down your pants and.... literally just blows some air on your dick. And that's it. That's what a lot of people are feeling like right now. It feels either like too little or too much. Should've instead kept the tension, instead of making people feel blueballed.

That doesn't mean all doom and gloom. Sony aren't there either, so the next-gen is completely in the air yet. Meaning that the E3 isn't as important to do well in (and Microsoft didn't do bad, as they had a lot of good games, though sadly some games were too driven by cutscenes). But people were expecting more. Now, in the end, what games they'll bring for the reveal of the next console, the software, the hardware, the features, it'll all be what'll determine how I go the next gen. Phil Spencer and Microsoft has done well to get back on the horse after the Xbox One disaster of a release year and they've done well in showing they want to provide value to consumers to bring them in.

Gamernyc78

Banned
giphy.gif

It's true, though. Halo Infinite's second year at E3 and still no gameplay. It's gonna take them three years of stage shows to actually show off this game.

I mean all tht bs ppl use to talk about Sony showing good games but years out was bs because Microsoft would go three E3s in a row showing Recore, sea of Thieves and Forza Shit plus gears and Halo it was like that all last Gen so I use to wonder where this criticism would come from lol

tryDEATH

MS basically just passed on the hot potato back to Sony.

When Sony and Cerny released some performance targets it left MS in a position of having to respond at E3 and Xbox responded with a tentative date and some hardware info. So it is back in Sony's court to respond. It leaves enough mystery what Xbox plants to push performance wise.

Geki-D

Banned
Yup. They got cold feet, decided they didn't want to reveal too much and give Sony room to outmaneuver them.
The problem with this argument is that Sony still outmaneuvered them at least on the announcement by saying exactly the same stuff months before. And Cerny did it sitting in a comfy chair no doubt sipping coffee and eating biscuits all for the price of said food & Cerny's hourly salary.

Sony turned MS' Scarlett reveal into a bunch of fucking nothing, Navi 2 & SSDs were hot news back in april when Cerny revealed it, now it's just playing catch-up. And if you're going to reveal a whole bunch of fucking nothing you don't do it at a conference you've hyped up with a flashy video that's going to leave people questioning if they'll say & show more before it ends only for the exact same info to be said.

Sony have utterly ruined MS' Scarlett momentum at E3 by offhandedly saying all of this stuff first. It's truly a masterclass in marketing.

MS basically just passed on the hot potato back to Sony.

When Sony and Cerny released some performance targets it left MS in a position of having to respond at E3 and Xbox responded with a tentative date and some hardware info. So it is back in Sony's court to respond. It leaves enough mystery what Xbox plants to push performance wise.

Exactly. MS basically said to Sony: Ditto. Now you.

DanielsM

Banned
Exactly. MS basically said to Sony: Ditto. Now you.

There really is no reason to officially announce a new console 16-18 months out, which is probably a major reason Sony didn't even go.

The console warz are over, Microsoft is just trying to put on the appearance that its not.

Last edited:

mango drank

Sony have utterly ruined MS' Scarlett momentum at E3 by offhandedly saying all of this stuff first. It's truly a masterclass in marketing.

MS were caught in a tight spot. They'd hyped up the console way too early, but they knew they couldn't reveal anything properly until 2020, and yet they still had to put on a show in 2019. And so we got a dribble of info.

Ol'Scratch

MS were caught in a tight spot. They'd hyped up the console way too early, but they knew they couldn't reveal anything properly until 2020, and yet they still had to put on a show in 2019. And so we got a dribble of info.
Truth and the whole of it. That being said, I do not know about anyone else but my ass already made sure I will have all of next years E3 off because I think it will be epic all around so if nothing else the hype train for next gen is full speed ahead.

Ol'Scratch

Wat...

This Scarlett Video probably reached way more folks than a weak Wired article...
I believe what Gentleman Jim may be saying is that when Sony released the Wired article it was unto a vacuum, so it had full hype plus wow factor and buzz words and all of it. Microsoft while yes it will be seen, will be measured against the Sony specs and speculation right out of the gate, Thus, nice but underwhelming. It is all perception of course. If Microsoft had lifted the skirt first than it would be reversed.
Plus now many will be running back to the Wired article to compare and many will see it for the first time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom