• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forge - Halo 5 Guardians Edition will have online Multiplayer

wwm0nkey

For Windows 10, thanks to someone at Ars for confirming

LINK
Microsoft's play to bridge the gap between Xbox One consoles and Windows 10 PCs got a lot more interesting on Thursday thanks to a pretty major Halo 5 announcement. Microsoft and its Halo development house, 343 Industries, have taken the wraps off the awkwardly named Forge–Halo 5: Guardians Edition, which they say will launch for free across Windows 10 "later this year."

This limited free version of Halo 5 won't include the game's single-player campaign, nor will it include multiplayer matchmaking with random opponents. However, Microsoft representatives have confirmed to Ars that the free Windows 10 game will support unfettered online play with anyone on a player's friends list. That means players can create or download a Forge map and invite anyone else playing the Windows 10 version to join in and play to whatever "kill count," time limit, or other win condition they've set. Even better, Microsoft says that this friends-only multiplayer mode in Windows 10 will fully support mouse-and-keyboard game controls.

As series fans know, Halo's Forge mode allows players to build content-filled maps and lay down a litany of custom rules and modifiers for the game. This Windows 10 version, as its lengthy title suggests, will allow people to do the same thing on their PCs, complete with mouse and keyboard support that 343 Industries says will be "easier/faster" to use than an Xbox controller (though we have yet to see how keyboard shortcuts and other features will work on a PC version).

In short, free Halo 5 multiplayer is coming to Windows 10. Sure, there's a friends-list restriction, a Forge-only rule, and a lack of convenient, automated matchmaking, but it doesn't sound like a bad freebie for the PC gaming set, and it marks the first Halo online multiplayer game with mouse-and-keyboard support since 2007's Windows port of Halo 2.

The announcement also confirms support for resolutions up to 4K and the ability to publish Windows 10 creations for play on the game's Xbox One version, but there's no mention of cross-platform multiplayer (and we're certainly not counting on that addition). Microsoft has confirmed that this build of Halo 5 will use DirectX 12, but we'll be curious to see whether the results err on the glitchier side (a la the messy Windows 10 launch of Quantum Break) or the flashier side (a la the incredibly smooth, dynamically scaling brilliance of this month's Forza 6 Apex launch on Windows 10).

So if you are not a forger you can still enjoy Halo 5 gameplay with friends.

Gestault

This is a great way to get playtesting, content-creation for the XB1 community, and general goodwill in one gesture.

What a weird decision. It's like they want to dip their toes into releasing on pc but are too scared. This sounds like a compromise between people who see the possibilities of pc releases vs those too scared it will kill the xb1..

wwm0nkey

This is a great way to get playtesting, content-creation for the XB1 community, and general goodwill in one gesture.

Yeah I think this was a good move by them honestly. Some of my friends ONLY play custom games so this is going to be amazing for them.

Wondering if we will see PC tournaments too

What a weird decision. It's like they want to dip their toes into releasing on pc but are too scared. This sounds like a compromise between people who see the possibilities of pc releases vs those too scared it will kill the xb1..
Rather, for a more positive outlook, it seems like a good way to test the PC desire for a Halo title.

Zedox

Isn't that what the press release says, though? "Test and play with friends"

Yes, but people apparently people can't understand that (I got that though). And shouldn't the title say for Windows 10...people may think regular Halo 5 on XBO...lol.

blamite

Some people don't read and it wasn't known to what extent I guess.

Yeah, I kind of assumed they might've just meant you'd be able to go into player mode in Forge and run around the map; if this means there's actually complete support for Custom Games, this is a much bigger deal. Especially if all of H5's developer-made multiplayer maps are included (and there's really no reason they shouldn't be, since they're forgeable).

If someone can get a custom game lobby browser going, either via mods or some other means, this could be huge.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Customs are probably the most fun part of Halo, so this is amazing news. It doesn't seem like they would put the work into porting Forge if they aren't gauging interest for bringing the whole game over to PC in the future, so hopefully this gets enough interest from people to justify it.

CamHostage

I do wish it had (and hope that it will evolve) some form of more open matchmaking than just Friend list invites to play Forge levels, as that's quite limiting.

But that said, the challenge for MS to build a full-scale online Halo experience is a huge challenge. (Plus they would have a level of expectation to meet, given that this is a AAA brand; satisfying the multitudes of complaints from PC fans over any issues that Halo's Forge on PC isn't as good as Halo on Xbox would be a nightmare to chase down solutions and ramp up service.) Without a path to monetization (which in and of itself would be a huge endeavor, whether or not it'd be worthwhile money spent, for even a conglomerate like MS, and they may not be ready to build that,) there's only so much that they can be expected to do.

Providing Forge itself on PC is a nice service in and of itself, and having some play features to allow PC gamers a portion of access and fun is an added bonus. It's easy to read too much into the decision (and MS has a history of befuddling/enraging PC gamers when it comes to Halo) but as it is, it's a good and handy app.

iosefe

it's essential Halo 5 Custom edition, and thats pretty cool. no dedi server support but you get a wealth of tools to do stuff, though. i'm guessing you can access things that already exist? i'd rather not have to wait for Griffball

Pretty interested to see footage of this version for Halo 5. Especially the 4k screens. Lets see how well they use dx12. I think my pc is ready for it. . .

It's so stupid that they keep releasing these cut down version of XBO games. No one is gonna buy an Xbox after playing these games. No one is gonna start using the Win 10 store after playing these. Either commit fully or don't.

Its just so pointess.

SOR5

It's so stupid that they keep releasing these cut down version of XBO games. No one is gonna buy an Xbox after playing these games. No one is gonna start using the Win 10 store after playing these. Either commit fully or don't.

Its just so pointess.

Its a free taster session whilst they designate their main development bulk to Halo 6, like Forza 6 Apex

Porting the entire game isnt easy, its not as simple as getting one mode of the game running automatically enabling every other aspect to run okay

Kssio_Aug

Its just so pointess.

Because that's not their intention with it.

They just want to make Forge available on PC so people can make maps more efficiently and play them on Xbox One. Halo players wanted that! That's good news for the public it was aimed for!

SOR5

Because that's not their intention with it.

They just want to make Forge available on PC so people can make maps more efficiently and play them on Xbox One. Halo players wanted that! That's good news for the public it was aimed for!

They could cut the middle man out with just allowing KB+M for Forge on Xbone (which I dont think should be that difficult to implement), I think this is more of a taster for W10 users than a tool for Xbone players

UberLevi

As someone who has friends who haven't upgraded to next gen yet and prefers doing mindless custom matches, this is exactly the type of thing I crave.

harSon

Banned
Is there a way to have cross platform Halo across PC and XB1, that doesn't completely fuck over the latter. Like some kind of lockdown on kb&m controls when going into matchmaking with Xbox users? Can that realistically be programmed without being circumvented?

SOR5

Is there a way to have cross platform Halo across PC and XB1, that doesn't completely fuck over the latter. Like some kind of lockdown on kb&m controls when going into matchmaking with Xbox users? Can that realistically be programmed without being circumvented?

This is what i've speculated theyre working on for any Win10+Xbox titles. I think co-op/custom lobbies will be unrestrictive, whilst matchmaking will be able to detect and enforce peoples input methods.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
why won't they just go all the way and let people purchase the full game on Windows?

Because the whole game would be exponentially more complex and time consuming to build. This happens to be the best way to properly test game creations, maps and modes. It's a great bonus that folks can have fun testing, but not the central point. Rather than think about this as a pared down PC game, it's more accurate to consider it as a significantly improved Forge tool for the existing game.

Top Bottom