• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forgotten games that no one talks about anymore.

Spyxos

For me, that would be Unreal 2 The Awakening. That was one of my first Pc games ever and I've played through it at least 3 times.

I don't know how well this game was received back then but it seems that everyone has forgotten about it, at least I have never heard anything about it again for a very long time.

Go_Ly_Dow

The GOAT FPS. 🕯️
Timesplitters2.JPG

Drizzlehell

Banned
No one talks about Unreal 2 because it was a generic, boring, cliched, awful game that pissed away the legacy of the first Unreal.

Anyway, for my picks you could probably list any random PC game from late 90s/early 2000s, with RTS as an entire genre leading the pack.

Although I'm still longing for another MDK game:
MDK2_Packshot.jpeg

For me, that would be Unreal 2 The Awakening. That was one of my first Pc games ever and I've played through it at least 3 times.

I don't know how well this game was received back then but it seems that everyone has forgotten about it, at least I have never heard anything about it again for a very long time.

People hated it back and the day, and still do. Its a shame that Epic pulled unreal from all the storefronts recently though

Spyxos

No one talks about Unreal 2 because it was a generic, boring, cliched, awful game that pissed away the legacy of the first Unreal.

Anyway, for my picks you could probably list any random PC game from late 90s/early 2000s, with RTS as an entire genre leading the pack.

MDK2_Packshot.jpeg

People hated it back and the day, and still do. Its a shame that Epic pulled unreal from all the storefronts recently though

Bummer, I liked it a lot back then. But I only played Unreal 1 for a very short time.

VN1X

Banned

MDK2_Packshot.jpeg
Loved the first one! And I just added both to my wishlist the other day as I never played the sequel. I also didn't even know there was an HD version of MDK2!

Anyway, what's weird is that according to gg.deals the last time these two were discounted was six years ago. Wat.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Ag70BVJ.jpg

Underrated gem from the PS360 era. You fight against the Nazis and blow up their infrastructure. It's plays like a GTA where you run around the open world, liberating areas from the Germans by blowing shit up. Has a pretty cool visual flair, where occupied areas are in black and white, and when you liberate them, they get back the color. Would love a sequel, or even a remaster.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I love Prey. It's my favorite FPS. That's
rbdcXyW.png
, not Arkane's game with the same name. Bethesda really succeeded at not just burying this masterpiece's memory, but replacing it.

I Am Alive is a really kickass game. It's a gritty post-apocalypse, and one of its core mechanics is the ability to intimidate enemies with your gun, even if your gun's not actually loaded. This feature was also shown in E3 trailers for The Last of Us, but never made it into that game's release.

Remember Fuel? That kickass post-apocalyptic racing game with a massive, chill map? I loved that game. Fuck, I wish we had a sequel!
I also really enjoy Mad Riders. Wicked fun arcade ATV racing.

Trunx81

AXgubYe.jpg

Fantastic RPG with an interesting story. Similar to Avatar: You come from earth and crash your spaceship on what you thought was a deserted planet. Only to find out that it’s full of life and that you have to stop the terraforming your race has planned, as it would wipe out all civilization. Interesting concept as well with 2D isometric and 3D environments. The fighting system is great as well.

Bummer, I liked it a lot back then. But I only played Unreal 1 for a very short time.
You liked unreal 2 or 1? I honestly havent played unreal 2 for more than 15 minutes, I just know there is a lot of boomer vitriol about it. Unreal 1 is a masterpiece, though. Janky, at times, but a masterpiece nonetheless. It is worth revisiting, even if only for the first hour or so.

Civvie11 did a video playthrough of it recently, which was a nice trip down memory lane.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Also, I kinda miss Defiance

Defiance_cover.png

Yeah, it wasn't an amazing game by any stretch, but it was just solid and fun to play, and being a tie-in game to the tv show also added to its uniqueness. I was really bummed out when they killed this game because I have fond memories of playing it. Those random public events with dozens of players causing absolute mayhem were epic as fuck.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if there was an alternative to it, but near as I can tell, there's just no other game out there that would tick off the same boxes:
  • sandbox MMORPG
  • real time third person shooter combat
  • huge open world
  • vehicles
  • sci-fi setting
  • etc.
I really want another game like that so badly but after Defiance and Firefall both failed and servers got shut down, there's just nothing out there anymore. Probably the closest thing to it in terms of gameplay style and general vibe is Star Trek Online, but that one has really clunky turn based combat so it's a far cry from what Defiance had to offer.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Also, I kinda miss Defiance

Defiance_cover.png

Yeah, it wasn't an amazing game by any stretch, but it was just solid and fun to play, and being a tie-in game to the tv show also added to its uniqueness. I was really bummed out when they killed this game because I have fond memories of playing it. Those random public events with dozens of players causing absolute mayhem were epic as fuck.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if there was an alternative to it, but near as I can tell, there's just no other game out there that would tick off the same boxes:
  • sandbox MMORPG
  • real time third person shooter combat
  • huge open world
  • vehicles
  • sci-fi setting
  • etc.
I really want another game like that so badly but after Defiance and Firefall both failed and servers got shut down, there's just nothing out there anymore. Probably the closest thing to it is Star Trek Online but that one has really clunky turn based combat so it's a far cry from what Defiance had to offer.
Yeah this was just good honest fun. Super easy to pick up and play.

VN1X

Banned
library_hero.jpg

ss_876d4708070df156b96759c165646d39aff6ec7f.1920x1080.jpg
ss_90e291af938f16bd051bbd5d1134379836b16207.1920x1080.jpg

2C9CED8EF3716DE6F8F5154EF4B45A23356DB6F2
C43D6CB07DC798CF2F10261274F302BFBE4A103A

Dirty Bomb comes to mind as a game I still fondly remember but has unfortunately never garnered any big mainstream attention. I commend Splash Damage for keeping Enemy Territory's fire burning throughout the years though with titles such as Brink and Dirty Bomb. The latter improving upon all of Brink's flaws and managing to make a really fun hero shooter within the ET formula. It's probably the title I've enjoyed the most from them.

phant0m

The GOAT FPS. 🕯️
Timesplitters2.JPG
but how can be GOAT when Future Perfect improved upon it in basically every way?

damn, i didnt know it was a fromsoftware game. does it play like a dark souls game?
no lol. Lost Kingdoms is a card-based ARPG

anyway, my contribution:
iu

basically invented the 3rd person cover shooter. Gears of War, Mass Effect and Uncharted would be far more successful popularizing it but kill.switch started it all.
and mechnically, it was good. it played and felt great, but it lacked the story and characters that brought those other franchises to life.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
The King of Dragons.

Such a great beat em up. I wished Capcom would remake it, and greatly expand it, both in terms of content(Wayy more stages, as the original game is barely an hour long, secret stages that maybe lead to shortcuts, maybe a final true stage if you do the right things along the way) and add more to the ganeplay, such as unlocking moves as you level up, maybe a very light equipment system, using loot that drops from enemies to enhance your character.

Eternal Ring.

I know, not a good game exactly, but I loved it as a kid. Wished From, with the money, tech and knowledge they have now, to go back and remake it or maje a sequel.

Top Bottom