• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Serbian general Ratko Mladic has been arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.

LQX

I wonder if this will take longer than Charles Taylor trial which has been going on for some eight years now.

Neo C. said:
First Osama, now Mladic. This month delivers.

It has been quite roll of nailing dictators and evil guys . . . Tunisia, Mubarack, Usama, Mladic . . . the leader of Yemen is gonna drop very soon. And I think Ghadaffi can't last for too long . . .

Milosevic-karadzic-mladic-wanted-poster.jpg

Good. I made a thread earlier about the arrest of another warcriminal who ordered the firing squads in Srebenica. Here's the "highlight" of Mladic's "career":
In early 1993, Bosnian Serb forces attacked eastern Bosnia, forcing thousands of Muslims to leave the area and seek refuge in the Republic of Bosnia-Herzegovina, which included Srebrenica and Zepa.

Mladic’s most notorious crime came after his forces seized the small, spa town of Srebrenica in July 1995. He led the Serb assault on this U.N.-protected enclave and is indicted for the massacre of more than 7,500 Bosnian Muslim men and boys – this is now considered the worst atrocity in Europe since World War II.

Mladic and his army shelled Srebrenica for five days before they entered the town. Women and children were then bused out of the area, while the Serbs separated out all Muslim men and boys from age 12 to 77 for interrogation. The Serb forces then executed 7,500 Bosnian Muslim men and boys and buried their bodies in mass graves. During the attack, Mladic’s forces also captured and held hostage more than 200 military observers and U.N. peacekeepers in retaliation for the NATO air raids against the Bosnian Serb army.
I just hope the evil bastard fuck doesn't die in custody.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Marleyman said:
The war had nothing whatsoever to do with compassion for the ethnic Albanians in Kosovo, which seems to get glossed over.
Absofucklutely. As an Albanian the war crimes in Kosovo, an Albanian province, get overlooked compared to the atrocities commited in Sarajevo and Bosnia. Most Serbs will continue to defend Milosevic and his gang based on national pride alone. You dont see Germans do that with Hitler. On an unrelated note i got this gorgeous Bosnian girls number yesterday. Doesnt matter if youre a Croat, Albanian, Serb, Bosnian etc. girls from the Balkans are the most beautiful in the world. =p

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Tashi0106 said:
:lol :lol

burek me djath per mua!
Quo ye Shqiptar?! Damn shame there arent more Shqiptar in Cali. I'd kill for some burek. For some reason Albanians congregate in Detroit and NYC. Wtf is up with that?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I think everyone in my family went out to party after hearing about this. Feels good being a bosnian in nyc today.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
LOL. Ja imam tri chevabdzince oko deset minuta od mog stana. Mogu cak I pijesice izaci kad izgladnim.

RustyNails said:

It's nice to see that poster and notice that everyone on is either in jail or dead (after first being arrested). The ICTY was one of the first sort of international governmental groups putting a lot of text on the internet in the 1990s. I remember reading some of the indictments of various people. Truly some gut wrenching shit. At times I do feel some of the low level things are debatable in terms of culpability, but when you read why Mladic did, it's not an issue of tactics or for debate, it just war crimes plain and simple.

I highly recommend checking out the site.
http://www.icty.org/

110526_mladic.jpg

Looks like he's been a bit of fat ass in the last couple of years.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Yea it doesn't look like he had it that rough does it. I just wonder how inevitably protracted his trial is going to be.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Kastrioti said:
Quo ye Shqiptar?! Damn shame there arent more Shqiptar in Cali. I'd kill for some burek. For some reason Albanians congregate in Detroit and NYC. Wtf is up with that?
Hahahah yes. Yo, I know a lot of Albanians of So Cal.

Burek mm, I'll eat it in few hours for breakfast :3

Saw pics from protests by retards in Serbia, people putting his pic on facebook etc, oh how I love those people

DR3AM

i have some bitch saying how he is her hero. i made a comment saying how a person responsible for the death of thousands of people can be any ones hero.

3 secs later, she deleted my comment and removed me from her friends list.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
It may be a tasteless thing for me to say but honestly I'm surprised that he didn't get a parade instead of being arrested.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
lol at those charges

innocent til proven guilty but sometimes a pile of accusations like these tells us the story already

DR3AM said:
i have some bitch saying how he is her hero. i made a comment saying how a person responsible for the death of thousands of people can be any ones hero.

3 secs later, she deleted my comment and removed me from her friends list.
Good riddance man. Nobody needs "friends" like those.

General Mladic was in Potocari, a village to which more than 28,000 Muslims from Srebrenica had fled in a vain search for refuge with the Dutch UN peacekeepers there. He was on a horse, surveying the faces of the refugees, when he spied a large number of men and boys. According to the testimony of one witness, Mladic could barely contain his delight. “There are so many!” he exclaimed. “It is going to be a mezze [a feast]. There will be blood up to your knees.”
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/1995/oct/05/the-madness-of-general-mladic/?pagination=false

slider

Warriors (aka Peacekeepers) is a great film on the Balkans conflict. I'm a hardened bastard but there's a couple of really powerful scenes in it. I've just ordered it from Amazon.

OT: Fucking PIFWCs. I wonder if he'll be as "entertaining" at trial as Milosevic.

Puddles

Banned
BeeDog said:
This is good for Serbia as a whole, and should help them a lot in their negotiations with the European Union about a possible membership (which I personally feel is long overdue).

Does Serbia really need to go to the euro though? It could end up completely fucking them over on the price of commodities like it's doing to Italy.

Bonus joke:

How is Serbia like a cell phone?

It gets smaller every year.

amar212

DR3AM said:
Hocu i ja bureka.

TBF > Obracun kod Haikikija.

Gr1mLock said:
Ja bi radje chevape ali izgleda svako hoce burek.
TheAzRim said:
sa lukom... ;-)

Zivo Blato > Burek sa sirom - cevape s kapulom

DR3AM said:
jebes burek i cevape, hajmo mi na sarmu. lol

Hladno Pivo > Sarma

Greatest paradox of ex-Yugoslavia. All songs about traditional Bosnian foods have been composed and written by Croats. One band is experimental hip-hp, other is conceptual art heavy metal folk and third one is punk band.

Nobody can understand Yugoslavia except people who lived in it. West is just fooling itself.

Puddles

Banned
I'm in Croatia right now. Came from Bosnia and Serbia before that. I've asked people to explain the war to me, and no one can really do it. Maybe the people I've asked are too young.

Bosnian burek = best burek, btw.

amar212

Puddles said:
I've asked people to explain the war to me, and no one can really do it.

This will explain you everything but that explanation is not something you will hear from people that lives overhere.

[Nintex]

amar212 said:
This will explain you everything but that explanation is not something you will hear from people that lives overhere.
Interesting, I wonder how Greece will end up in 1-2 years time. They're already going to privatize/sell government properties. I believe their debt is 500 billion and this'll bring in 25 billion but the IMF has threatened to halt support if they don't come up with more plans to cut spending.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
amar212 said:

Thanks. Very informative. Ive known why it happened but I was a bit modest in my estimation of western involvement.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Nolimit_SS said:
dzdipg9r5s59mairkw4p.jpg

Notice the priest, Serbian orthodox church, one of the biggest hate mongering machines in the world
None of those morons besides the priest is old enough to even remember the war.

SMH.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Im agreeing with you. Just adding some context. They probably werent even born when the shit hit the fan.

theignoramus said:
This guy is on the moral and criminal level of an SS commander.

Goddamn, the indictment makes for sinister reading:

[He] is criminally responsible for the unlawful confinement, murder, rape, sexual assault, torture, beating, robbery and inhumane treatment of civilians; the targeting of political leaders, intellectuals and professionals; the unlawful deportation and transfer of civilians; the unlawful shelling of civilians; the unlawful appropriation and plunder of real and personal property; the destruction of homes and businesses; and the destruction of places of worship.

Yep. Terrible stuff.

All he really needed was a good PR campaign though.

If the guy had only taken the time to pose to look really cool in a photograph, he could be on a bunch of clueless tools' T-shirts like Che Guevara, and have fawning Hollywood movies done about his youthful travels.

Actually, the only difference between these brutal, murderous war criminals is that, at one time, Mladic was a genuine Communist patriot for his homeland, like his father before him, unlike Guevara, who was a spoiled child of privilege on one long, blood-soaked "revolutionary" holiday after another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom