• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FORSPOKEN | Review Thread

What Scores do you think FORSPOKEN will get?

• 0-10%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-20%

• 20-30%

• 30-40%

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • 40-50%

• 50-60%

Votes: 10 9.0%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 46 41.4%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • 85-90%

• 90-95%

• 95-100%

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ZoyosJD

I actually had higher expectations from critic scores for this.

I expected a high 70 low 80 after the demo. Good gameplay (ignoring certain aspects), bad dialogue, bland world, lots of poor design decisions, and really bad default settings. Thought SE might improve it over time like they did with FFXV.

Then review codes were being limited. Then the first hour leaked, writing was clearly tone deaf at best. Release is still a mess visually.

From a business perspective, this is questionable if it's even worth attempting to save. Might be better to quickly move on to the next project. FFXVI is going to take away most of the rebound potential from this anyway.

I kept seeing people try to defend the price as well, but there are also plenty of new games like FE:E, SF6, Sonic, etc releasing at the old 59.99 price point on the new consoles as well.

People also defending the development time and price in both directions. Such as it's only been in "full" development 3 years, so don't expect to much, but apparently it should be priced like a GOTY contender that has been in work for 6 years because that is "standard" price now.

I could see mediocre from 10 miles out plastered on this.

This was even worse, and I feel sorry for the communities that wanted actual decent representation out of this.

Pagusas

Elden Member
DF did a great video on this already, showing the extremely sub par lighting that makes this game look like a PS3 game at times. Highly recommend watching, it shows how badly bad tech usage choices can turn a game into dog shit.

Andodalf

Banned
As someone who adored the visual identity FFXV had, i’m really disappointed this game doesn’t at bare minimum serve as a visual showcase :(

sachos

I don't take that much issue with the writting, i think the way it is framed is actually what makes it awkward. The camera is just spinning there, kinda far away from the character that is just standing there, she even is speaking at some points with her face not showing towards the camera from a side profile, just looking randomly at stuff. It is just a weird way to do cinematics.

Last edited:
You heard me! Probably why she won't shut up!

true-blood-takes-off-earrings.gif

Neolombax

The game looks fun to me, the spells seem to be interesting to play around with especially when you unlock everything. I dont even mind that the story is as generic as they go, but man I cannot stand the attitude and language of the main character. She sounds offended all the damn time.

Topher

Gold Member
i wish game companies forced the directors to open up metacritic on review day (on video), like Corey Balrog did for GOW.

It was wonderful to see the emotion from Corey.....u could hear how all the hard work on long days and stress were worth it.

But i want the opposite. I want to see the ppl realizing they wasted years on a game that bombs

Ice Cube Reaction GIF

Hoddi

Shame. I'm not exactly surprised but I was still hoping the game itself would turn out okay. I never understood why people kept trying to fluff the game since it never looked that good to begin with.

I'll still try it once it comes on Plus but it never looked anything other than a 6 or 7.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

I expected this to land in a somewhat rough place, but damn, it's an early days ps4 looking game with mediocrity written all over it.
Hope that exclusivity deal was inexpensive.

ryan13ts

i wish game companies forced the directors to open up metacritic on review day (on video), like Corey Balrog did for GOW.

It was wonderful to see the emotion from Corey.....u could hear how all the hard work on long days and stress were worth it.

But i want the opposite. I want to see the ppl realizing they wasted years on a game that bombs
Would that get your rocks off somehow seeing someone, who put years of work into a game, be crushed by it bombing? That's the exact kind of take that I'd expect from an S grade internet edgelord.

Justin9mm

I could tell it was another filler game. I swear games are actually going backwards in quality. When you have those very few top devs making bangers, it kind of sets expectations a lot higher.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I could tell it was another filler game. I swear games are actually going backwards in quality. When you have those very few top devs making bangers, it kind of sets expectations a lot higher.
Thats the thing. The big companies with their big franchises and budgets moved the needle. Most studios cant keep up. Their best bet is probably doing a 180 and doing $20 indie games.

If this was decades ago, most games had a certain amount of gameplay time. Unless it was an RPG that takes a lot time to beat or sports game or racing game you replay over and over again, most of the other kinds of games (action games, many shooters were SP mode only, classic arcadey twitch games etc....) could be bucketed into straightforward games you beat in 7-10 hours. Resources could be funneled into this game so big studios and small ones could make good game a like.

Now, the games that are bought and played the most are giant open world games, F2P games with lots of content, or fully featured sports and shooters with tons of replay value and modes. Or giant budget SP Sony games. Love em or hate them, but most are AAA big budget games.

That middle ground A or AA kind of game seems to have disappeared. People either go big with the popular franchises or zoom down the ladder to indies. Maybe I'm wrong, but that tier of Darksiders, Just Cause, Forsaken dont seem to have a presence like the PS2 or 360 era.

Last edited:

manfestival

just watched someone streaming the game. The graphics and gameplay look so meh. I did not listen to the dialogue since the sound was off but this ... this is not it.

Ehh Deathloop got great reviews and got shit on all through its life. Seems reviews dont matter either way when the internet has made its mind.

Raven117

Pretty bummed out by this. How many bombs can Square Enix throw out in a row? Does Yoshida have to carry the weight of the entire company on his back?
Yes. YoshidaP and creative business 3 seem to be the only team over there capable of making awesome games.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
In general I preorder every playstation "exclusive". This one I didn't. Somehow the game never really clicked with me from the very beginning. The demo and now the reviews confirm I was right.

DF did a great video on this already, showing the extremely sub par lighting that makes this game look like a PS3 game at times. Highly recommend watching, it shows how badly bad tech usage choices can turn a game into dog shit.
It is bizarre, as FFXV (same engine, PS4) if anything, had very good lighting specifically... And yes this extends to the full game and plays off beautifully to every open world area too. The time of day + weather system really enhances the feel of the game, and even effects what monsters will spawn, or what dungeons are open.

Last edited:
Was this a Japanese produced game but with people from America working on it?
Yes, it had Hollywood "Literally-whos" working as the lead writers of the game. Seriously, one is an actor who has no writing experience outside of the cancelled Star Wars project by Visceral, and the other is someone who wrote a few episodes of a shitty YA novel adaptation and 1 episode of a shitty drama show.
This should be a perfect lesson to never, and I mean NEVER, recruit staff from Hollywood for writing.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

This is completely fucked up. What is wrong with you?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
This is a Reshade mod, not RT.
2Rce3.gif
What do you supposed the RT in SSRTGI stands for??

Pascal Glitchers SSRTGI solution is implemented into the Nvidia drivers with GFE Freestyle, you dont need ReShade to use it anymore.

Top Bottom