• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite BR is actually amazing

Strakt

Having played all the other Battle Royale games (PC), I can say that for me personally, Fortnite has been the most fun. They can definitely improve on the gunplay, but its really fun and unique so far. I love the looting in the game ( rarities, treasure chests, etc.), sniping feels really satisfying , being a bush, or just simply using the launch pad to get behind someone. The game has seen insane growth on twitch as well. Can't wait to see what the future holds for Fortnite.

Having played all the other Battle Royale games (PC), I can say that for me personally, Fortnite has been the most fun. They can definitely improve on the gunplay, but its really fun and unique so far. I love the looting in the game ( rarities, treasure chests, etc.), sniping feels really satisfying , being a bush, or just simply using the launch pad to get behind someone. The game has seen insane growth on twitch as well. Can't wait to see what the future holds for Fortnite.

They really pulled off a 180 after the lackluster Early Access launch.

GodofWine

It's fun, but it's not even close to as exhilarating as PUBG.

I actually find Fortnite to be MORE fun, though LESS exhilarating than PUBG.

They both have their moments, PUBG can be far more tense, but often its just a slog though the map and a head shot from 'god knows where' takes you out. I've been in the top 3 multiple times, and won once, and my heart rate in those PUBG moments was off the charts.

My wins in Fortnite, while clearly in the aerobic zone, did not have me on the verge of bursting a vessel behind my eyes.

Calibos

Fortnite is an amazing game in my book.

As far as Fortnite vs. PubG...I have had more fun in Fortnite, mostly because I really suck with a mouse and keyboard. So for me, I would agree for now.

The building aspect adds a lot to the formula, but the gunplay has always felt looser than PubG which turns me off of it.

I am excited to play both on console and then revisit this discussion.

Sojiro

I finally gave this game a shot this week and have been blown away. I remember when it came out and thought it was just a PUBG copy, and didn't think anything of it. But man was I wrong, after watching Summit1G playing it lately and raving about it I figured what the hell and gave it a shot, and now I don't know if I can go back to PUBG. The game is legit fun. Love that the environments are destructible, the building adds a lot to the gameplay that I though at first was just a lame camping tactic, the map is very well designed, the gunplay feels great and every moment of a match feels fun. One big issue with PUBG is the very dull midgame that usually sees very little action up until the last few circles, but that isn't an issue here. This game is awesome, and feels way more polished and complete than PUBG does currently.

n0razi

The gunplay just doesnt do it for me.. it doesnt have any weight like in PUBG and Destiny. Everything else about it is great but shooting is such an integral part of the game.

leehom

Was going to make a thread about whether this game has dethroned PUBG? On youtube, it's the top game streamed.

autoduelist

The building mechanic did me in. Granted, I only played a couple games... but I felt like I had no idea what to build or when, and always ended up in huge gunfights before it mattered anyway.

BANGS

Banned
I have to agree. If I have one major complaint about this game, it's that the guns never feel accurate. And yet at the same time I feel like something is partly my fault because guys have taken me out from far away before and I can't even hit them...

Except sniping, sniping always feels good...

Fortnite Battle Royal is the perfect example why I love the videogame industry.
After so many boring years with lots of CODs and Battlefields, we finally get a shooter which provides a fresh gameplay which was not possible on older hardware.

While my friends are playing the current COD, I´m playing fortnite almost every day since launch. I really like the dynamic gameplay and the looting aspect. There is no other game out there which gets my heart pumping so fast. A unique experience.

Also it kind of feels right, what Epic is doing in terms of updates/patches, new items, the way they reach out to the community and how they monetize this game.

It's fun but like with all Early Access games, it's just not something I want to put my time into until it's 1.0

That said, its interesting to see how quickly the paradigm is shifting. Fortnite is almost neck and neck with PUBG on Twitch these days.

It's free, why not? Give it a spin, its a fun game, improving constantly. It doesnt feel early access at all.

Oh, I've played it and had great fun. But given the nature of multiplayer Early Access games (constantly evolving/updating), I'd rather just wait until it's more 'complete', so to speak.

For instance, the last time I played, they said they were looking into ballistic bullets rather than hitscan. That's a massive change and I don't want to get accustomed to hitscan for them to just replace it one day.

I much prefer PubG to Fortnite. The cartoony look of everything turns me off. The more realistic style of PubG is much more enjoyable for me.

I've played both pubg and fortnite (rust br was my first time playing something like this though) and it's just a world of difference, the destruction and building adds so much, the game not taking its self too seriously means theres loads more variety in just about every aspect of the game, and that can be added too over time.

I played pubg for maybe 20 hours, I never got into it that much, you spent so long looking for a gun sometimes, and fighting close quarters is awful. Then you'd spend the next 15 minutes camping a house waiting for people to roll over so you could kill them. If you didn't camp you died, you would get pinged across the map and die before you could react. Fortnite fixes all these problems, the rarity system plays so well into this genre and everything has this extra level of polish whereas pubg ran like shit.

I feel like both games are different enough to capture a different audience, I just know for all my friends it was an almost instant switch to fortnite.

I think a big bonus is we can actually win on fortnite.

TwiztidElf

These games have a unbelievably steep learning curve for people who are bad at shooters. :(
It's definitely a barrier to entry.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
These games have a unbelievably steep learning curve for people who are bad at shooters. :(
It's definitely a barrier to entry.

PUBG has alot steeper learning curve then Fortnite does imo.

Fortnite is alot easier for newer/bad people to play and have fun but again, in my opinion

Kei-

The rate at which they are updating the game is very nice. And they have so many ways they can go with it. New seasonal mode being announced December 7th (something winter-themed I'm sure), after that, they will probably have a valentine's themed event as well and a summer event. They are gonna be able to do so much with it.

They aren't just adding things, they are fixing any issues that crop up at a very good clip as well and they are extremely transparent. All this in a proper f2p game, no strings attached. It's only going to get bigger and better. Viewership is blowing up on Twitch and more and more streamers are picking it up as their main game.

Can't wait to see all the new modes and themed skins and weapons they put out. Heart explosions for Valentine's?

PUBG has alot steeper learning curve then Fortnite does imo.

Fortnite is alot easier for newer/bad people to play and have fun but again, in my opinion

I disagree, there is simply more to learn in Fortnite because of the building. Combat/battle building is extremely important to elevating your game (pun intended) and adds another layer of skill.

jacobs34

Fortnite is one of my favorite games of the past decade. It takes everything that I enjoy about the emerging BR genre and adds almost endless creativity with the building mechanics.

I really like that the matches go faster than a game like PUBG, and I never feel completely helpless when I'm out in the open, there's always a chance to build your way out of a tight spot. Epic has been so on point with getting updates out there, and even when I play on PS4 it feels like a great experience.

There are things that PUBG definitely does better than Fortnite, but the gun mechanics (attatchments, gunplay) don't really sell me on the game - perhaps if a studio like Dice made a BR I'd be into that kind of game.

I just can't remember the last time I've had this much fun with a game on a nightly basis. I'm in my 30's now, and have less time to play games in general, but I keep finding myself coming back to Fortnite even as my backlog is piling up. All I can think of right now is how cool a Christmas event would be: just add snow to the map, let up build iceforts, and have snowball launcher fights and I probably won't play another game until spring.

Thanks for making the thread OP, and allowing me to gush.

Haven’t played any other BR games, but I downloaded it to play with some friends. I found it fun but the performance was awful on base PS4. Either 30FPS capped which felt really unresponsive or uncapped which was a lot more responsive but had awful frame drops. Not great for a competitive game.

Despite that, still pretty fun.

Lucifon

Person plays game for literally thousands of hours, and begins to hate it. Shocker! Basically every game you play for that amount of time will begin to become a grind, especially when you combine that with it being almost necessary for 'work' so you're not even playing it for fun anymore but just because you have to.

Fortnite is fun, PUBG is fun, both in different ways. PUBG is much more tense and grounded whereas Fortnite is pretty OTT and good fun.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
LMFAO wut? I think you have that completely reversed...

And no, for people just starting out I still feel Fortnite is easier.

No one is forced to build especially early on, learn the game then expand how you play.

I very seldom ever build and granted I only have 20 something solo wins in 200 or so matches but its how I prefer to play.

Sure every once in awhile I put up a wall here and there but I never build these big bases in solo.

Maybe I could become a better player if I built bases towards the end of the game but for some silly reason I enjoy the feeling of being a lone wolf survivor and when I win playing my style I love it.

In my opinion Fortnite isthe best BR game out there and its always getting better with an update every week.

DonJimbo

Im playing a 300 players Battle Royale game on my phone its crazy how they managed to allow 300 players at the same time on the phone with all the constrains and limitations

BANGS

Banned
Lol why do you guys seriously think it takes more skill to play Fortnite then PUBG.
Doesn't take more skill to play, it's just got a higher skill ceiling to master. I mean what's more complex, building a structure that's basically a funhouse meant to fool and trap your enemies, or running people over with a motorcycle?

Blam

Doesn't take more skill to play, it's just got a higher skill ceiling to master. I mean what's more complex, building a structure that's basically a funhouse meant to fool and trap your enemies, or running people over with a motorcycle?
That's beyond over generalizing soo much, that fun house is also just a house to lob nades over the side. All the end matches in Fortnite are resulted in camping in 2 houses opposite of eachother. PUBG is camping as well, but you can't prop up impromptu cover just to save your ass at the last moment.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I agree with this.

For beginners especially those not worrying about building at first Fortnite is the easier game to get into if nothing else the weapons and attachments in PUBG can overwhelm people.

Now when it comes to mastering the game I cant imagine anyone can argue Fortnite takes more skill.

Watch someone like Ninja build and fight while the best PUBG players mainly have to just be better shots.

I feel I am a pretty decent judge at both games as I have over 100 Fortnite solo wins and closing in on 40 solo chicken dinners.

I still play even end game without building much because unless someone is great at building its just a giant shoot here sign when I see a structure going up.

If I have something silenced and a sniper I will take on someone in a building all day. May lose a lot but love that dome headshot when they are on top of their tower.

Redshirt

Banned
Building in Fortnite is rarely complex. It can be but even in PvE it hardly is.

Most of the time, building in BR is about throwing about a wall to bail you out of bad positioning.

The best players imo are not building elaborate forts to win the game.

BANGS

Banned
Building in Fortnite is rarely complex
I disagree. While throwing up a wall is certainly common, it's also plenty common to see people building creative cover and trap houses. You're right, the best players aren't building complex structures, usually the best players run around with a rocket launcher and a scar and just wreck everyone. But that doesn't mean that skillful building doesn't give you a huge advantage. Protip: it does...

Top Bottom