• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite BR is actually amazing

Tumle

Yes and those games had much harder building systems to master. Rust on a good example sure it's not BR but the building mechanics are there.

Also you're once again touting around saying the building mechanics add to a much higher skill ceiling. The building in Fortnite is not hard to use at all. There's not much at all to learn about the building mechanics to Fortnite. Just learn how to make a box quick and that's about it. The building mechanic almost I'd say drops the skill ceiling if anything. Since it's so simple to use, it's really just enforces people to camp till the circle moves, and doesn't promote anything more.
Ok that is absolutely wrong.. in fortnite if you camp you die.. yes you throw up a box so you have time to figure out where you are getting shot from.. and you might have a little tower to tower battle.. but usually you will try and push.. I rarely see anyone just siting in there tower until the circle moves.. it would also be a waste of resources..
Try looking at the top players streams and you will get an idea of how they use building as a way to push towards other players.. and there is definitely a meta building game where you try an lock each other out of advantageous positions :)

Mau5

Yes and those games had much harder building systems to master. Rust on a good example sure it's not BR but the building mechanics are there.

Also you're once again touting around saying the building mechanics add to a much higher skill ceiling. The building in Fortnite is not hard to use at all. There's not much at all to learn about the building mechanics to Fortnite. Just learn how to make a box quick and that's about it. The building mechanic almost I'd say drops the skill ceiling if anything. Since it's so simple to use, it's really just enforces people to camp till the circle moves, and doesn't promote anything more.

Dude what game are you playing? I'm not very good but the building is hard as shit against a good player that out builds you and when there's pressure. It's not just about making a quick "box" and that's about it. I wish I could build like the top tiered players.

Not the best examples but some solid fights between good players.

Last edited:

Blam

Dude what game are you playing? I'm not very good but the building is hard as shit against a good player that out builds you and when there's pressure. It's not just about making a quick "box" and that's about it. I wish I could build like the top tiered players.

Not the best examples but some solid fights between good players.

Good examples, but seriously the first video looked like Spam. Not much strategy involved really. It's also why is everyone comparing themselves to top tier players. This isn't who you're going to be playing with I don't know why it keeps being brought up.

Mau5

I guess I can see where you're coming from but I definitely disagree. Either way I still think the building still sets a skill ceiling even if its a small one.

I know this thread is about BR, but I bought the Save The World (PvE) part this weekend since it's on sale and I've been having a surprisingly good time with it too.
And that's coming from someone who generally dislikes horde modes. There's enough variety that I don't have to do a horde defense every mission, and it also allows me to learn the nuances of building so I'm not fumbling around when I get into a BR fight lol

GermanZepp

Anybody having trouble to shoot and aim in season 3? No bug, no glith. Just the new aiming model and nerfes. I played like 25 matches and my shots looks like dont land on target. I get my ass kicked. Usually i get in the top 5 with no sweat; but now i feel like every encounter as unpredictable outcomes. I feel like i can't even build a wall after being spotted.. I mean two shots from anywhere i'm gone.

I refuse to believe that everyone "git gud" over the weecked but me. But maybe thats what it is.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

Good examples, but seriously the first video looked like Spam. Not much strategy involved really. It's also why is everyone comparing themselves to top tier players. This isn't who you're going to be playing with I don't know why it keeps being brought up.
Nah. Spam? Not much strategy? They're literally building level on the fly, mazes, to create mindgames with each other so that they can catch each other off guard.

And I watch Lirik, who is probably in the mid-tier level (100-200 wins vs high tier 500+ wins), play against everyone else who knows how to build like this. At a certain level, everyone is this good at building and creating cover for themselves.

BANGS

Banned
I just played fortnite for the first time in weeks last night and MY GOD how it's improved! The gunplay, the building, the map, the graphics, it feels like a friggin' sequel compared to what I was playing only a month ago. Loving the crossbow so much, it's become my new weapon of choice...

Got us a squad win as well. We completely destroyed the last two teams that couldn't find us. It was hilarious...

Last edited:

Blam

Nah. Spam? Not much strategy? They're literally building level on the fly, mazes, to create mindgames with each other so that they can catch each other off guard.

And I watch Lirik, who is probably in the mid-tier level (100-200 wins vs high tier 500+ wins), play against everyone else who knows how to build like this. At a certain level, everyone is this good at building and creating cover for themselves.
Yes they are building on the fly. That's spam.

I can maybe see this mind games argument with the other guy who used the jumppad to go around the other guy. But the other guy? Nah that's just controlled panic.

I mean yeah that's usually how tiers work lol the higher you are the higher the chance that someone knows how to play.

WaterAstro

I can maybe see this mind games argument with the other guy who used the jumppad to go around the other guy. But the other guy? Nah that's just controlled panic.

I mean yeah that's usually how tiers work lol the higher you are the higher the chance that someone knows how to play.
You have to watch more then. You would understand that they are aren't spamming. They're building cover and ramps to move around like it's second nature.

BANGS

Banned
lmfao fortnite got such a high skill ceiling that non-players can't even tell what's going on when watching gameplay ;)

petrus91

That's not spam, that's how 1v1 work in Fortnite plus the shotgun meta pushes players to play this way...that's the depth of the core combat system, if you take that away there would be obviously not much left to give identity to the game.

petrus91

I don't know what you mean by "mind games" but it's all about reaching higher heights and then shottypush/snipe/AR/rocket when you're on top and try to box defense back when you're on bottom...I actually watch Shroud/Ninja/Kraftyy every night and that's the pattern they always do.
It's all about muscle memory on that level...I mean just look what Ninja *always* does, he just goes higher then shotty/AR or he pushes with the bouncing balloon...there's no time to improvise when you're so much in a rush on your opponent..

My son got me into Fortnite yesterday; we had it since early access disc came out months ago; played yesterday for hours, I'm hooked!!

Amazing game, definitely captures that feeling that I haven't had in a shooter in a long time.

WaterAstro

I don't know what you mean by "mind games" but it's all about reaching higher heights and then shottypush/snipe/AR/rocket when you're on top and try to box defense back when you're on bottom...I actually watch Shroud/Ninja/Kraftyy every night and that's the pattern they always do.
It's all about muscle memory on that level...I mean just look what Ninja *always* does, he just goes higher then shotty/AR or he pushes with the bouncing balloon...there's no time to improvise when you're so much in a rush on your opponent..
Yeah, I mean out maneuvering your opponent by building around them while building cover for yourself. In that 1v1, you can see several moments where they hide their location with cover and try to move under cover. That's what won in the end, right? I see this play all the time, even with a single level structure. People fake out where they are going and catch you off guard, like you build three walls and a ramp near an enemy, but instead of using the ramp like usual, you go from the side. Most people would expect a ramp play because it's what usually happens.

petrus91

Yeah, I mean out maneuvering your opponent by building around them while building cover for yourself. In that 1v1, you can see several moments where they hide their location with cover and try to move under cover. That's what won in the end, right? I see this play all the time, even with a single level structure. People fake out where they are going and catch you off guard, like you build three walls and a ramp near an enemy, but instead of using the ramp like usual, you go from the side. Most people would expect a ramp play because it's what usually happens.
Absolutely yes, and btw I love Ninja playstyle, he’s never the passive guy around there...I really enjoy his streams.

I am rubbish at building but usually make it to the top 10. Best place was 3. Builders win the game.
Same strategy as in PUBG works for me - drop down in a remote area, explore as much as I can, maybe camp a little if I have good equipment and enough time. I don't even wear my headphones, although I'm pretty sure sound is more important than in PUBG.
Combat is easy, it's all about not freaking out and flailing around like it's Quake...

I even bought the Battle Pass. Early in the season it seems like a pretty good deal. Some of the goals are fun, and the progression feels good. They goals add more stuff to do than simply surviving.
On the other hand I think it's way too long and something bothers me about not being able to unlock everything unless you play 100 hours and do the challenges.

Last edited:

Tumle

I am rubbish at building but usually make it to the top 10. Best place was 3. Builders win the game.
Same strategy as in PUBG works for me - drop down in a remote area, explore as much as I can, maybe camp a little if I have good equipment and enough time. I don't even wear my headphones, although I'm pretty sure sound is more important than in PUBG.
Combat is easy, it's all about not freaking out and flailing around like it's Quake...

I even bought the Battle Pass. Early in the season it seems like a pretty good deal. Some of the goals are fun, and the progression feels good. They goals add more stuff to do than simply surviving.
On the other hand I think it's way too long and something bothers me about not being able to unlock everything unless you play 100 hours and do the challenges.
Yea well that’s the thing with free to play games.. the grind is long :)
But I still think it’s a fair system.. I only bought the last season pass and got enough v bucks from that season to pay for the this season pass:)

Last edited:
Yea well that’s the thing with free to play games.. the grind is long :)
But I still think it’s a fair system.. I only bought the last season pass and got enough v bucks from that season to pay for the this season pass:)

That's my plan now. I'm sure I'll buy another one in the future since my play time is limited. It feels good to know a free pass can be earned every once in a while.
Fortnite highlights how important mid- and long-term goals are... Maybe I'm not in the mood for a serious battle royale session, but visiting the wood animals or figuring out the treasure map was a nice change of pace - and I still had classic battle royale adventures on the way there. The goals add variety.

Now that PUBG has the Serious Business market and Fortnite cornered the Casual With Skins market, I believe there's room for one more battle royale - and that's Battlefield with full destruction. Can't see people playing anything else. That H1Z1 car mode reeks of desperation...

WaterAstro

That's my plan now. I'm sure I'll buy another one in the future since my play time is limited. It feels good to know a free pass can be earned every once in a while.
Fortnite highlights how important mid- and long-term goals are... Maybe I'm not in the mood for a serious battle royale session, but visiting the wood animals or figuring out the treasure map was a nice change of pace - and I still had classic battle royale adventures on the way there. The goals add variety.

Now that PUBG has the Serious Business market and Fortnite cornered the Casual With Skins market, I believe there's room for one more battle royale - and that's Battlefield with full destruction. Can't see people playing anything else. That H1Z1 car mode reeks of desperation...
Nah, Battlefield will replace PUBG if it happens. It just looks better and works better with vehicle physics that actually make sense.

Tumle

I actually was missing 100 V-bucks when the last season ended so I reached level 18 on normal battle pass and got the last 100 I was missing.. so happy that you don’t miss out on the gold tear items if you don’t have the money to put down from the beginning:)
Also I hope to see some other variations of battle royal games.. I think there are many opportunities to mess around with the format :)

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Just got an update on Fortnite.......

The patch notes says this out of many other improvements.
https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/v3-4-patch-notes

Performance
  • Major netcode optimizations to reduce lag.

• Improved game responsiveness by updating all players on the server every frame. Previously, only 50 players could be updated each frame.
    • Reduced lag at the beginning of the match by optimizing networking to improve overall server frame rate.
  • Made significant improvements to visual quality on consoles, including resolution improvements and texture sharpness improvements.

• Improved texture filtering sharpness on PS4 and Xbox One.
    • Increased texture resolution on Xbox One.
  • Improved frame rate when many other players are nearby.
  • Fixed hitching that could occur in game when encountering certain cosmetic items for the first time.

Last edited:

Codes 208

It bugs me that i accidentally locked myself out of the ps4 version. I used the same account as my xbox version and wasnt aware these accounts conflict with eachother (but you can have a pc + xbox/ps4 apparently. Go figure) so now im stuck in a login failed screen each time i start it up

NickFire

Not to go too far off the rails, but can someone explain how the hell this game can be updated, refined, and have things added so often, while games like Destiny 2 get updated so slowly? Bravo Epic.

Moving on, hopefully soon they will merge PvE and PvP in Fortnite and release PvE free. All bets are off if both happen same day - for any other games launching in the time period. Other than RDR 2, Duty, and maybe Madden / FIFA, I am not confident anyone will realize expected launch numbers if they coincide with PvE free launch / merger with PvP.

Valonquar

basically they are making SERIOUS bank off the micro-transactions while Destiny 2 isn't, comparatively speaking anyhow.

Codes 208

basically they are making SERIOUS bank off the micro-transactions while Destiny 2 isn't, comparatively speaking anyhow.
Destiny however made bank on people paying $60 up front and with season passes. Fortnite has to make up for, being free to play and all

WaterAstro

Destiny however made bank on people paying $60 up front and with season passes. Fortnite has to make up for, being free to play and all
It's a classic case of having no barrier of entry giving to a higher player base for a better potential of microtransaction versus a higher barrier of entry with less players willing to buy microtransactions.

Something like FIFA has both, and makes a lot of money out of it, but it still gets beaten by League of Legends in terms of profit.

ChrisG683

Spamming walls in the middle of a fight just seems like such an uninteresting gameplay element to me... and that's coming from a guy who loves building stuff in 7 Days to Die, Terraria, etc.

PUBG has a shitload of problems, but I greatly prefer gameplay the relies more on good shooting mechanics. Also f*** 3rd person mode in a BR style game, absolutely sucks the fun out of the genre.

Everyone's definition of fun is different though, just glad we have options.

If DICE makes a good Battlefield BR game though... RIP PUBG

WaterAstro

Spamming walls in the middle of a fight just seems like such an uninteresting gameplay element to me... and that's coming from a guy who loves building stuff in 7 Days to Die, Terraria, etc.

PUBG has a shitload of problems, but I greatly prefer gameplay the relies more on good shooting mechanics. Also f*** 3rd person mode in a BR style game, absolutely sucks the fun out of the genre.

I think the building mechanic is good because it puts an emphasis on gathering resources, which is what BR is all about, and it also makes it more fair as it doesn't rely on level design for cover. I've seen a lot of people complain about the new PUBG map because the level design is terrible with poor cover in so many areas. Building also creates new kinds of gameplay, like how it forces players to push towards the building to finish them, and how weapon selection can have an emphasis on choosing weapons that destroy buildings better, like a TAC vs a sniper.

royox

I don't like building in ANY game so if I have to choose between this and "the Original" I go with PUBG.

NickFire

I wasn't keen on it either at first, but after a week had it down enough to go deep into most rounds. Honestly, PUBG looked more interesting to me at first. But not being on PS4 left me no options (I dont play on PC), and now I cannot fathom paying an upfront cost for PUBG even if they do come out. I know many will be willing, but long term they may want to look at dropping that requirement to make much inroad on PS4 whenever they launch. It feels really good to get a true free to play game that is fun, and not feel like I have to spend any money to keep up or otherwise. I have spent money on Fortnite of course, because I like the game and options you get from doing so, and frankly appreciate the laid back manner of not having to spend a dime.

My potato laptop runs this at 60 FPS now. A month ago it usually hovered just above 40.
The art style makes it look good on low settings. On PC it's gorgeous but I don't feel like I'm missing anything when I have to play on the laptop.
PBUG is a disaster on low settings. The image quality is horrendous. Can't tell what the fuck I'm looking at in the distance...

I noticed the starter pack is available on the Humble Store. I bought it in-game. If they keep V-bucks as payment method for the pass, I'm set for the next couple of seasons.
Also they're adding more Twitch loot.

Grinchy

Banned
I don’t know if SuperData is a good source, but they estimate that Fortnite had a $127M month recently, beating out PubG’s $107M or something.

Whatever the real revenue is, it’s refreshing to see a team so quickly and so massively support and optimize their game.

SoulUnison

Banned
The gunplay just doesnt do it for me.. it doesnt have any weight like in PUBG and Destiny. Everything else about it is great but shooting is such an integral part of the game.

I simply cannot get how guns work in Fortnite.

I've been gaming on every system possible for the last ~25 years, I've been more than competent at multiple PC shooters over multiple decades.
Put me in front of Fortnite and it's like I've never held a mouse before.
The guns are just...bizarre and unresponsive.

I don’t know if SuperData is a good source, but they estimate that Fortnite had a $127M month recently, beating out PubG’s $107M or something.

Whatever the real revenue is, it’s refreshing to see a team so quickly and so massively support and optimize their game.

Shame about Paragon and UT lol
At least Epic is back after half-assing all their projects for years. They snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with UT, especially. All they needed was waifus, cosmetics and meme-worthy game modes...

WaterAstro

I simply cannot get how guns work in Fortnite.

I've been gaming on every system possible for the last ~25 years, I've been more than competent at multiple PC shooters over multiple decades.
Put me in front of Fortnite and it's like I've never held a mouse before.
The guns are just...bizarre and unresponsive.
I play it like UT and Quake, and doing that works out for me. You have to accept the arcadey feeling when it comes to accuracy and bloom and know that you'll miss a lot at far range for a lot of weapons.

I get pretty accurate shots with the SCAR though, so I try to find one as soon as I can. The TAC has also pretty good accuracy.

Top Bottom