• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite (Epic, PC/XB1/PS4) announces 'Battle Royale' mode

GHG

Gold Member
This is hilarious. The Fortnite base game is abysmal, so they decide to copy another genre, and pay for it to be a top game on twitch? Shameless.

I actually feel bad for anyone who will pay to play this garbage. Who knows, it might be a racing game next week.

The BR mode is fun, who gives a shit? If it's a racing game next week but the racing game is fun then again, who gives a shit?

How's the playerbase for this game on pc or ps4? I'm not interested in the main game mode however the battleroyale stuff sounds good. AND if I only care about the BR mode, would it be worth buying the deluxe version or just the standard one?

Finding BR games instantly on PS4. Get the cheapest version since all the additional stuff only makes a difference for the PvE mode.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I see why people are mad but I love things like this. They are building on the foundation that PubG and H1Z1 has set with their own specific mechanics and features. I want this to keep growing and for the PubG inspired games to keep trickling in. I want developers to see how they can improve the genre. That's how you eventually get something more amazing. Eventually it will reach the JP market and JP developers and then we'll really get to see some cool twists on battleground gameplay. Look at what the Souls games brought when others tackled it and look at what the Minecraft(builder) genre brought about too. This is a good thing. I'm still optimistic that since we saw a Dragon Quest Builders we could eventually see a Dragon Quest Battlegrounds.

Played few games. It's great! Super fun and easy to pick up and play! I like the cartoonish tone take on the genre. The shooting could use some improvements though.

This is a great start! Looking forward to hearing from them again regarding improvements and squads.

luulubuu

Why theres always a sad guy who says eh i will wait until f2p.

can you like let people enjoy a thing without your sad, unwanted take.

I tried it, it's definitely solid but I'm afraid that PC gamers are hugely advantaged by kbm over gamepad... I hope they will make separate servers

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Why theres always a sad guy who says eh i will wait until f2p.

can you like let people enjoy a thing without your sad, unwanted take.

I mean, if money is tight and you don't have a burning need to buy it right now, it's solid advice isn't it? Especially if you weren't aware it was going to be F2P?

I tried it, it's definitely solid but I'm afraid that PC gamers are hugely advantaged by kbm over gamepad... I hope they will make separate servers

I don't think PS4 and PC players are being put into the same servers.

Archpath1

It's ok ,I like it, and it can be improved

The ability to build your own fucboi shacks is great

Then have a rocket fly right into is cool

Can't wait to see more updates to it

HowZatOZ

Banned
Being Battle Royale isn't the only reason PUBG is so successful, the gunplay and quick in and out is what sets it apart from PlayerUnknown's previous titles. If this has nowhere near that fidelity and still the arcade-y style shooting then no thank you.

Think of it like everyone is just a normal person, dropped into a post apocalyptic island with only the clothes on your back, and you have to battle to be the lone survivor. You might find sniper stuff, you might find an RPG, you might find nothing and have to out smart people and clobber them with a shovel.

Thats BR. Its Dayz, or Rust / etc compressed into 10 minutes, really fun mode (I play PUBG, haven't tried this yet, but watching streams it really does look good)

I meant that literally. There are classes in PvE that have different abilities. It appears that all of the players that I've seen have the Soldier abilities.

Ploid 3.0

How's the performance on PC compared to PUBG?

The streamer (Lirik or tat Dr guy, I forgot which) said it ran much better. Also it's epic, they use their own engine. I haven't played Fortnite but Paragon runs like butter, also you can make the game run on a toaster with how far down the settings can go.

zR1G3wv.png

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I despise Fortnite, so I hope this doesn't take off for them. It rips off other games in the worst kind of ways.

Dang, this looks pretty good. Much more appealing looking than PUBG to me, and I like the environment destruction, building, and traps.

I may get Fortnite to play this...

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
"I wish success only to the games that match my personal taste"

Nah, I dont like plenty of games and dont care if they live or die. Fortnite seems shameless in the fact it was built by suits looking at popular trends and cramming it into a money maker.

"Man i just hate *insert every FPS name*, such a rip-off from the original Doom."

I mean, PUBG didn't invent a concept to begin with, a new genre was born out of his popularity and it's great. Just like CS/TF gave light to a lot of team-based FPS who took so much from them. Nobody is calling Overwatch a rip off of Team Fortress.

Nah, I dont like plenty of games and dont care if they live or die. Fortnite seems shameless in the fact it was built by suits looking at popular trends and cramming it into a money maker.

Making video game is about pleasing people and making money, nothing shameless about it as long that it's good. Would you prefer if they would suit look at unpopular trends ?
I mean PUBG did exactly the same thing.

edgefusion

I really regret buying Fortnite. Nothing about the game makes any sense to me any more and it doesn't seem like the developers have a clue what they're doing with it either. It's rife with utterly baffling design choices and they're spending their time making these random extra modes instead of working on and improving the actual game? I bought the game for base-building and horde-mode stuff, not battleground style whatever this is meant to be.

luulubuu

I really regret buying Fortnite. Nothing about the game makes any sense to me any more and it doesn't seem like the developers have a clue what they're doing with it either. It's rife with utterly baffling design choices and they're spending their time making these random extra modes instead of working on and improving the actual game? I bought the game for base-building and horde-mode stuff, not battleground style whatever this is meant to be.

Online Gamer Is Upset About Free Side Content In A Game

More news at 11. Movie at 12.

Ploid 3.0

In 2012 Guild Wars 2 had a Hunger Games event, which came back in a better made Southsun Survival event. I took part in the Southsun Survival event and loved the heck out of it. I wished they'd develop it more for a year round mode, but it wasn't. Fun though. The Total Biscuit hunger games event looks weird with large teams against many other teams of people.

Top Bottom