• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortune Summoners |OT| -- Time for an Adventure!

Volcynika

0pR5C.png

Summary

Elemental Stones: stones imbued with the power of an Elemental Spirit, which grant the wielder of one the ability to control that element via 'magic'.

In the country of Scotsholm, three centuries have passed since they were first created. Elemental stones are now mass-produced and widely used, making magic a personal, commonplace part of people's lives.

In this country lives an energetic little girl named Arche. Arche, having moved with her family to a new home in the town of Tonkiness, has begun attending the only school in the area. That school is the Minasa-Ratis School of Magic. And it's here that Arche may discover something amazing about elemental stones... and herself.

The Basics

Platform: PC (*Demo Available)
Genre: Action RPG
Developer: Lizsoft
Publisher: Carpe Fulgur LLC
Release Date: January 30th, 2012

Features

• A massive gameworld to explore - nearly a dozen dungeons to delve into, and easily 25+ hours of gameplay, with lots of extra content to explore!
  • Gorgeous, detailed 2D sprite backgrounds and animations - like the best 16-bit game you never got to play!
  • Classic platformer-RPG action in the vein of some of the true greats of yesteryear!
  • Conquer the challenges before you with intelligent AI companions - you can let them do as they want or customize their behavior to your heart's delight!
  • Stunning, professional-quality music and sound!
  • Full support for Xinput controllers, including the XBox 360 controller, as well as keyboards!

Where to Buy

Steam
GamersGate

*Save 25% on the game for the first week it is available

Images

TAC8ul.jpg
GIcxHl.jpg

bT36Rl.jpg
zrLQZl.jpg

Reviews

-To be added as they arrive-

F.A.Q.

Can I try out the game before I buy? -- Yes, there is a demo available from this link. You can also transfer your demo saves to the full game, should you decide to purchase it!

Does this have any DRM? -- The Steam version will use the obvious Steam DRM, but outside of that, the game has no DRM.

Does the game support a gamepad? -- Yes. You're able to set the bindings for it, just gotta set it the way you want in the menu.

Will there be a Mac/Linux version? -- Nope. Sorry!

Will this game be available in retail? -- No, the game will only be available via digital distribution.

*For you people that played the demo, please see this FAQ for how to transfer your saves and maybe find the answer to other questions you may have --> http://www.carpefulgur.com/fs/faq.htm

duckroll

I just beat the prologue. Pretty fun! After remapping some of the controller keys to suit my play style better, the game is really pretty solid. :D

duckroll

Trying the demo and the left stick of the 360 pad is extremely sensitive in menus. That normal?

Make sure you use the keyboard to control it at first, and go set Analog Gamepad to "On" or "Analog Dash". Then you need to confirm those settings. After that, it should be okay.

Eusis

I'll probably just emulate a 360 pad with the DualShock 3 for this, or figure out how to get GlovePie working for the Classic Controller Pro. Could just play with the 360 pad but I want a good D-Pad in a comfortable position. Or just figure out a good configuration for the Fightpad, whichever.

Syril

Damn, does Gamersgate only update once a day or something? Did they fix that thing where pressing the joystick in the menu made the cursor move 3 times at once?

Make sure you use the keyboard to control it at first, and go set Analog Gamepad to "On" or "Analog Dash". Then you need to confirm those settings. After that, it should be okay.

Oh that's it then?

Soule

Ahhhh I played the demo and I disliked the characters, the young girl thing it has going on made me wanna shit carebears and vomit rainbows but I've succumbed, at that price I bought it since I just got paid and wanna support Carpe Fulgur. Hopefully the further in I get I like it more, plus I haven't played a 2D sidescrolling game like this for a while so should be fun.

So is this like Recettear and Chanteliese?

From what I played of the demo, not really unless you're talking about the fact that the main characters in each game tend to be young girls. Gameplay-wise being a sidescroller it's a different genre so quite different.

I get the feeling Carpe Fulgur is more well known amongst the PC Nerd community by noiw, which is why the games they put out can shoot to the top of the list quickly.

Conversely, it might also mean shorter legs, but there's Steam sales to help with that.

Anyway, just got my copy. Play for about an hour before heading to school or wait and savour a longer experience tonight? Decisions, decisions.

Soule

So I've changed my mind a bit about the combat since I've started again, I was spamming attack and frustrated at the inability to move while spamming but now that I'm making less attacks and more deliberate choices in the types of attack i'm doing a bit better in the combat.

I've purchased the game, now i have to see how I can transfer my saves from the demo.

So I've changed my mind a bit about the combat since I've started again, I was spamming attack and frustrated at the inability to move while spamming but now that I'm making less attacks and more deliberate choices in the types of attack i'm doing a bit better in the combat.

Yeah, button mashing and spamming attacks is not the way to go in this game. It took me some time to get used to the controls too.

Luigi87

Fantastic that it got to #1 present sellers.

Unfortunately I am not one of the buyers yet. Definitely want to pick this up when I can.

Soule

So anyone got some tips for what you do when you get to the pond in the cave? Kinda stuck and ran around town looking for something that would allow me to explore further and jumping in doesn't go so well, help would be appreciated lol bit embarrassing getting stuck this early on

So anyone got some tips for what you do when you get to the pond in the cave? Kinda stuck and ran around town looking for something that would allow me to explore further and jumping in doesn't go so well, help would be appreciated lol bit embarrassing getting stuck this early on

IIRC
the first time you go to the underground pond you can't do anything more and have to go back home, the 2nd time you have to control Sana who can walk in water.

Skyrim dethroned!

I did my part but it will probably be this weekend before I can put any time into it. I really enjoyed the demo so I'm looking forward to the full game.

Ken

Gifted a copy for a friend who enjoyed Recettear. I'm a little busy at the moment but I might pick a copy up for myself later.

I'm probably going to end up buying this. Recettear did good by having the diabetes-sparking cuteness spewing non sequitors and dark wit which kept it from making me wanna vomit from moe poisoning. Does this have this as well?

fortune_summoners_dominate.png

Congratulations SpaceDrake! Skyrim never stood a chance against those big eyes

You magnificent bastards! This'll put more JRPGs on DD for sure!

TheExodu5

Banned
Any clue on how to save the game?

I went back home after going to school and it prompted a save, but I accidentally canceled out of it.

If anyone is still frustrated trying to get the ps3 d-pad to work, use the playstation 1 mode in motionjoy. It's the only way I have found to make the game accept inputs from the d-pad.

Soule

Maybe I'm missing something but sometimes it doesn't seem clear what to do to progress, earlier when I asked for help I had literally explored every single other area except that one house to find what I needed and now getting into this wind temple I've had to resort to doing the same thing, I found the person I needed to talk to rather quickly but I would prefer if I having a good idea of what I need to do as opposed to searching blindly.

I'm actually lost in that Wind Temple in Chapter 1. There's a blocked passage going to the right in one of the screens, but I can't seem to find out how to open it and progress.

Edit: Ah, there's a blue floor switch that I couldn't see because it was underwater.

Soule

Ahh you were at the moveable platform underwater bit? This temple is painnnnn I need to learn how to play Sana because when I have to fight underwater it's a blood bath :( don't have any items to revive so I have to run out and come back.

Should rename it the water shrine or the poison shrine cause that's all I'm getting haha

Ahh you were at the moveable platform underwater bit? This temple is painnnnn I need to learn how to play Sana because when I have to fight underwater it's a blood bath :( don't have any items to revive so I have to run out and come back.

Should rename it the water shrine or the poison shrine cause that's all I'm getting haha

Yeah, I had to backtrack out to revive Sana because I had no items that could do it. I bought a bunch of venom aways, so poison shouldn't be an issue anymore. But those magic using lizards are a pain.

Soule

lol I'm gonna take a break, when I come back I might knock it back down to easy. It's not that hard as Arche because I have the hang of her and most situations (been dominated a few times by knockback with 3 merkids, their long attack range is a pain) I can handle easy enough but Sana is dropping like a sack of potatoes and making the trek back in is pretty demoralizing now

Lain

Didn't find the OT through search damn XD copy/pasting my comment from the other thread:

I wanted to check the demo before buying, but using the steam client I couldn't actually get the demo (there was no download demo button when clicking on the Demo thing on my steam client), so ended up buying it. Hope I won't regret it.

One Ok Rock

Neo Member
Just finished the first boss fight.

The bastard kept putting Sana to sleep and he wore me down the first time. Next time I switched out to sana and blasted him with her special attack. Worked really well :D

The two girls so far are reminding me of Sakura and Tomoyo from CCS. ._.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Gonna buy this tonite to take advantage of the $15 sale, even though I won't be getting around to it for a little while.

Lain

Played for a little while and I mostly liked what I've played, though there are a couple thing that are pissing me off, namely trying to kill the damn bats and how the combat feels a bit stiff.
On the other hand though, the game is lotsa charming.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Controlling this with a DualShock is terrible.

I need to find a way to map movement to the d-pad.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
No way to zoom in to fit the whole screen?
Edit: Best way i've found so far is just to use full screen then change my TV to 4:3.
You might be able to use a low resolution and windowed to zoom in. But the lowest widescreen my TV supports is 720p.

Top Bottom