• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 PC: can Playground's masterpiece scale beyond Series X?

Jose92

[Membe

a80t3Jt.png

AoT5eSD.png

vOEKU1V.jpg

hbaLzXy.jpg

Mr. Alex is back with another video and his rtx 2060s is back too.

Edit: it seems like Digital Foundry's Youtube's Account got taken down
"This account has been terminated for violating YouTube's Community Guidelines."

Last edited:

GametimeUK

So I have an RTX 2080 and a Series X and like to play Forza on my LGC9. Why in the blue hell would I go for the PC version here? I find my 2080 still performing better than my Series X and PS5 (especially with DLSS), but the console optimisation and settings not available on PC just make Series X more appealing.

Dynamic Res should really be in the PC version. I find so many PC titles missing these features. I would have loved more PC games to have checkerboard rendering a few years ago too. Some of these performance saving techniques that don't massively destroy the presentation need to be included in all PC option menus in my opinion (where realistically possible).

Consoles at the moment are a really great way to get an amazing gaming experience from a graphics / performance perspective at a fraction of the cost of a PC. I've got to say consoles are a great proposition right now.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Man i can not get into this game..

4 was already boring as fuck. Nothing new besides well seasons i guess?
This checklist shit assassins creed on wheel sheit is so grating man after so many games..

I am sure this title is the best one yet for newcomers but dear lord this game is not for me anymore 🤣

kingfey

Banned
Well this video proves ps5 is more powerful I mean it was trading blows with a 3090 in NX gamers vanguard video where as xsx can only compare to a 2070 super.
They are cheap peasant. Imagine having 2070, when nxgamer have 3070.

Does this mean DF are cheap?

kingfey

Banned

This checklist shit assassins creed on wheel sheit is so grating man after so many games..

I am sure this title is the best one yet for newcomers but dear lord this game is not for me anymore 🤣
Its a racing game.

I think its the new rules. Compared to old racing games, these new racing games have mechanics that is hard to get in to.

I lost more time on midnight club 2 compared to forza horizon 4.

Hope this game changes it.

RetroAV

So I have an RTX 2080 and a Series X and like to play Forza on my LGC9. Why in the blue hell would I go for the PC version here? I find my 2080 still performing better than my Series X and PS5 (especially with DLSS), but the console optimisation and settings not available on PC just make Series X more appealing.

Dynamic Res should really be in the PC version. I find so many PC titles missing these features. I would have loved more PC games to have checkerboard rendering a few years ago too. Some of these performance saving techniques that don't massively destroy the presentation need to be included in all PC option menus in my opinion (where realistically possible).

Consoles at the moment are a really great way to get an amazing gaming experience from a graphics / performance perspective at a fraction of the cost of a PC. I've got to say consoles are a great proposition right now.
Look, I play on a PC hooked up to my LG C9 and...you either want max settings (PC) or you don't (consoles).

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Give me that RT mod right now! Thats the only thing lacking right now to perfect the games visuals.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I dont understand. Playground Games gave Alex the exact XSX settings, but they dont work?

I dont want Alex's optimized settings. I want the ones PG gave us. Is he not posting them because some settings are broken? Hard to figure out in the video.

FlyyGOD

You came into a thread comparing pc performance to xsx and go off topic to say that you can't get into the game because it's boring?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I've always wanted to use this gif and I promise it isn't that serious :)

confused jim carey GIF

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I dont understand. Playground Games gave Alex the exact XSX settings, but they dont work?

I dont want Alex's optimized settings. I want the ones PG gave us. Is he not posting them because some settings are broken? Hard to figure out in the video.
cubemapping for reflections is much much lower on PC highest settings. he thinks its broken.

twilo99

I'm getting 140-165fps on ultra/high settings with my 6800xt ... its a very well optimized game.

edit. lies, that was just driving around the map, not during a race. More like 100-120fps

BKf79nF.jpg

Last edited:

JeloSWE

The game is getting an over whelming amount of accolades, it sure is a great game, but it does have some truly annoying negatives.

Antialias is bad, makes especially foliage that tend to cover most of the screen, thin antennas, sharp edges on the cars, ribbed/striped textures and fences to shimmer and moaré A LOT. They really should have implemented some form of TAA and why not DLSS for the PC fan base. In the end I've settled on running the game with 4xMSAA + NVIDIA control panel MFAA enabled my RTX 3090. It ends up looking like 6xMSAA while being cheaper than 8xMSAA of course.

HDR uses a form of tonemapping that makes the red break lights look washed out, like a whitish pink or orange. In real life, saturated lights such as those or neon signs are fully saturated. Just photograph a red led or neon sign with you mobile camera and see how it too fails and just blows out the red core to white, this is simply not how our eyes perceive intense saturated lights. I suspect FH uses a camera like tonemapping algorithm to the detriments of bright saturated lights. Another reason could be that it mainly is color graded for OLED to utilize the white led in LG's WRGB sub-pixels so to appear intense, this however sux for us with capable LEDs.

Night time is too short for me, I really enjoy cruising in the night, there is no option of setting time of day and speed of time in solo mode.

Map can't zoom out far enough, it gets claustrophobic and it's a lot of panning to get an over view.

While draw distance and pop in isn't too bad on extreme settings, on lower how ever, it's very distracting, why doesn't the game have a separate slider to control this?

For anyone curios where the game is the heaviest to run, it's in some of the fields with lots of flowers, usually under those white tents near one of you houses in the center of the map, La Casa Solariegat, it's even worse than some of the juggles. I get a locked 60 with basically everything maxed out on my GPU but here I have to drop settings considerably to maintain 60, but these areas aren't that prevalent so I keep my setting pretty high and just take the hit when I rund around those areas.

Last edited:

I'm almost sure it does have DRS, I'll check when I get home, but I'm about 99.9% sure. And the PC experience is just... *Chefs kiss*

I'm almost sure it does have DRS, I'll check when I get home, but I'm about 99.9% sure. And the PC experience is just... *Chefs kiss*

Dynamic resolution is available in the PC options, it's the first result in the benchmark. You can choose between four levels of it. I used set to "balanced" it to get a solid 4K/60 at all maxed-out settings on a 2080ti/10600K...

EDIT - It is not a dynamic scaler. It's just a static resolution scaling with oddly named settings options.

Last edited:

twilo99

Dynamic resolution is available in the PC options, it's the first result in the benchmark. You can choose between four levels of it. I used set to "balanced" it to get a solid 4K/60 at all maxed-out settings on a 2080ti/10600K...

Xuxi0If.png

...which was entirely pointless since I run a 1440p high-refresh monitor.

How do I get this report? I can't find it anywhere in the settings

edit. I'm just blind

Last edited:

Xuxi0If.png

Thank you. I was confused at first, cause I swear I turned it on then off when benchmarking.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

Xuxi0If.png

I don't think that is dynamic resolution. Just fixed resolutions scaled down.

Yup. For example, PG says the XSX runs ultra textures, but this setting is hilariously borked on PC. Textures do not load in at all and makes it look like a soupy PS2 era game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yup. For example, PG says the XSX runs ultra textures, but this setting is hilariously borked on PC. Textures do not load in at all and makes it look like a soupy PS2 era game.
So I should be using extreme settings here?

No wonder I wasnt impressed with the game running on ultra settings last night.

So I should be using extreme settings here?

No wonder I wasnt impressed with the game running on ultra settings last night.
Yeah. Try extreme. Your mileage may vary however because mine is completely broken. Even extreme textures don't work. But I've seen many other people having better luck on extreme.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
You came into a thread comparing pc performance to xsx and go off topic to say that you can't get into the game because it's boring?
just reading the thread title made me think of it. Also i just stopped playing the game.

So check this out. Series X is beating the 2060 Super in its performance mode settings anywhere from 42% to 53%! And beating the 2070 Super anywhere between 15% and 22%. Every screenshot captured below takes place at moments where DF confirms the Series X is native 4K at a flawless 60fps. This is quite some impressive work here by Playground.

pedsiU1.jpg
YmtKDP2.jpg

I can only imagine what devs can achieve once they start utilizing Sampler Feedback Streaming on Series X, which is going to drastically improve RAM efficiency for the GPU.

ClosBSAS

i get 4k 60fps constant with a 3070, only 2x msaa though, but 4k nontehless and 60fps, its so well optimized

GHG

Xuxi0If.png

That's not dynamic resolution scaling. Watch the video.

DeaDPo0L84

So after watching the video it honestly seems like playground kinda neutered the PC version? I'm not saying they did it on purpose or had ulterior motive but I see no reason that PC couldn't have had more options in the graphical department, especially ray tracing throughout the open world and DLSS which would be a god send in this game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom