• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Four lions brutally gang up on other lion, breaking its back and killing it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright that baboon thing is fucking crazy!

I don't know exactly how to describe the feeling while I was learning about this. Part awe, part fascination, part disturbing and part a feeling of ignorance due to how little we still know about the intelligence of some animals....or at least how little I seem to know.

Yeah! Have you seen this?; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q-bB-qywJ0

This.. is crazy. Nytimes ran a really good piece on it; http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/13/science/no-time-for-bullies-baboons-retool-their-culture.html?_r=0

< Baboon Troop in Kenya
< Baboons are aggressive. Alpha pack leaders bully, abuse, rape and are aggressive towards the others.
< Tuberculosis outbreak in Kenya.
< Alpha Males take all the delicious contaminated meat for themselves.
< Alpha Males die. No aggressive leaders left. What now?
< Women of the group take charge.
< The troop becomes more peaceful, less territorial violence and abuse. Relatively. They are still baboons, but it woul be safe they went from North Korea to Switzerland in baboon welfare.
< Young males grow up, and are not hostile and aggressive as the alpha males who died of Tuberculosis.
< Can human beings overcome "violence, aggression and war is a part of our very nature?" We are always being told that our level of violence is unavoidable. It's just who we are as humans. Our closests relatives, the chimp are identical in our DNA structure at 98,4%. Chimps are the most violent of all primates. Humans are closer to chimps than the indian and the african elephant (according to my planet of the apes making off boxset).

3N16MA

Banned
That is what Lions do outside of actually eating the fallen leader. Honestly, it's not that gruesome if you have watched enough videos about predators.

The problem with the natural = good mindset is that most people have a wrong image from nature.

Even environmental associations are using often only images of grasslands or deciduous forests which are two of the least diverse biotopes in the world- barely above deserts and tundras.
Or all the cartoons with humanized carnivores and herbivores living in peace together.

Same shit why more people are against or don't care about vaccinations, they don't know what it means to suffer from polio.

Not for the squeamish:

0ssbuQh.gif

3126924_o.gif

snapping-turtle-o.gif

Snapping Turtles are fucking ruthless.

That second one literally made me say "what the fuck."

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Reminds me of a .webm of a lamb in the process of giving birth to a kid, with the kid half way out, and a cheetah comes to attack it and the mother books it leaving the kid behind. The cheetah kinda looks at the baby, then the mother, then the camera man, and kinda just sits there contemplating it's existence.

https://youtu.be/VjuHYvieJlw?t=1m36s

You can stop watching at 2:20 and just pretend they live happily ever faster with the baby lamb being raised as a sort of cheetah king.

That's a leopard. Seems like the hesitation has to do with the camera-man since it's basically staring at him the whole time.

So I read up on Mr. T, apparently the group he belongs to was actually the Colombian Mafia of the murderous lions. The group that took out his brother were the rising stars.

However there is no wiki page for Mr. T and the Mapogo lions. Is there a page that show the timeline of the demise of the Mapogo gang?

nkarafo

For some reason i'm OK with animal cruelty when it's animals vs animals but i can't stand it when humans do it.

ryan13ts

Is it too much "interference with nature" to shoot the poor bastard in the head? Those rangers or whatever talk about how terrible it was to watch him suffer, but they seemed to be ok with sitting there for 3 hours with darting flashlights.

Yeah, I'd make a shitty ranger because there's no way I could just sit there and watch that lion get eviscerated by four others with no fair chance of fighting back, especially if I had watched the lion every day and formed a distant attachment.

The gnarliest nature video to me is still the baboon slowly and apathetically tearing chunks out of a baby gazelle as it screams in pain

Madness

One time I saw a documentary about lions who had started to kill cheetahs just out of sheer anger and boredom. Naturally they tend to ignore one another but I saw a male lion chase down like 2-3 cheetahs and snap their heads in its jaws.

Watch nature as much as you can. The way humans are procreating and developing the world all over, hunting and killing animals, who knows if there will even be any lions left in the wild 50-100 years from now. Tigers on verge of extinction, lions endangered now.

ASIS

Not for the squeamish:

0ssbuQh.gif

3126924_o.gif

snapping-turtle-o.gif

Snapping Turtles are fucking ruthless.

OH GOD!! That's absolutely horrifying. How did the mouse survive being torn apart and then swimming.

That ... wow.. i'll never be able to look at turles the same ever again. poor mouse.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
OH GOD!! That's absolutely horrifying. How did the mouse survive being torn apart and then swimming.

That ... wow.. i'll never be able to look at turles the same ever again. poor mouse.

The mouse's brain was still able to send signals to its limbs to try and escape. Adrenaline is a hell of a drug. It should be noted that that's not a particularly common thing when snapping turtles do that to a mouse, so that mouse was one hell of a fighter.

trembli0s

Absolutely fascinating.

The one with the kidnapping baboons blows my mind.

And that poor lion cub with the broken back is brutal to watch.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm honestly surprised that people are surprised at this. While this was definitely unpleasant to watch, these are fricken animals, and many have done way worse.

I remember a long time ago when I took an anthropology class in college, and we watched some nature video about apes, and there was a scene where some spider monkeys invaded a nest (or whatever it's called) of rival monkeys and literally tore the baby spider monkeys limb from limb.

It was at that point that I realized all animals are dicks.

What a goddamn troll. Orcas are griefers of the sea making it harder for everybody!

But seals can also be bastards. the video that was released a while back, showed a species for the first time raping another another species- not for reproductive purposes. Look at that seal and tell me it doesn't know what the hell it is doing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD6i9-Ga6oQ

It is abusing those penguins. It reminds me of that chimp who uses a frog as a fleshlight. They know what they are doing, but they are doing it anyway! ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVE60zwXx1k )

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Also, did you guys know that dolphins, despite looking adorable, are actually one of the few animals on earth that actually enjoy torturing their prey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom