• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox News falls to third place for the first time in 17 years

Slayven

http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/22/msnbc-ratings/

Rachel Maddow is the new cable news ratings leader.

For the first time ever, MSNBC has won the week in both total viewers and the key news network demographic of adults 25–54 in primetime.

In the world of cable ratings, that’s a pretty huge upset. For years, MSNBC was the perpetual third-place network after Fox News and CNN. Yet Donald Trump’s election has helped drive more interest to the left-leaning channel, just as it’s helped Stephen Colbert’s Trump-mocking The Late Show on CBS. The downfall of Fox News’ former kingpin Bill O’Reilly has helped, too.

Hot Take, if this continues Fox news will unrecognizable by the end of the year

Lunar15

That's a really hot take.

Here's a hotter take: This is mainly due to the fact that fox news has lost so many of their anchors, as well as the fact that the more extreme are looking towards the internet for more of their news.

That said, fuck fox news.

Here's a hotter take: This is mainly due to the fact that fox news has lost so many of their anchors, as well as the fact that the more extreme are looking towards the internet for more of their news.

They lost their enemy to rail against and blame everything on in the white house.

It's a hollow victory, but might as well take it.

CNN and MSNBC like

giphy.gif

A lot of it has to do with all the MASSIVE BREAKING NEWS about Trump scandals that Fox refuses to cover. Normal people are tuning into CNN or MSNBC to catch up while Fox is covering the weather, Tim Allen TV shows, and Seth Rich conspiracies.

Slayven

It is a death of a thousand cuts.

When the hottest scandal in decades is happening and you decided to cover literally anything else because the scandal goes against your narrative, then you shouldn't be surprised when people decide to change the channel.

Lost some of their biggest stars, two figures who were driving forces behind the scenes, and their biggest enemy coupled with incompetently covering news that everyone else is talking about and their demographics being old fucks... yeah, sounds about right

WooooooOOOOoooo!

Hoping they don't try to spin this that they have to go more to the right. Seems like Murdoch's sons want to eventually take the channel more centrist politically.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Rachel Maddow, of all people, is winning.

I liked her until that tax return nothingburger. I almost never watched her, but I liked her.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
A lot of it has to do with all the MASSIVE BREAKING NEWS about Trump scandals that Fox refuses to cover. Normal people are tuning into CNN or MSNBC to catch up while Fox is covering the weather, Tim Allen TV shows, and Seth Rich conspiracies.

Yup. A huge part of the problem they have is there's no way to realistically push back against the allegations because Trump keeps confirming them, so they either have to make him and the GOP look bad or just ignore the stories.

Geist-

All 24-hour political news networks are cancer, but glad to hear the worst of them are losing viewers like a sieve.

MSNBC is supposedly taking a right wing turn, aren't they? Whoevers deciding that is a fucking idiot.

Supposedly there was something said about how they wanted to be Fox News lite, but I don't know if those plans have changed now that Fox is on the downturn

Best case, Trump gets impeached and they don't report it except as sour grapes. A year later, dumped by the networks due to shit ratings.

Probably asking way too much though. I'm still surprised they're on about Seth Rich. Old and false.

Aurongel

They control the government, most of their key talent recently left and their extreme base is moving to echo chambers online.

Not really a monumental victory here worth celebrating, they did their damage. They'll be back in time for the midterms.

Strike

Never thought that it would've taken a Republican president getting elected for something like this to happen.

WGN"s new buyer wants to turn them into Fox News lite

Yeah, but this was said awhile ago right? If the downturn on Fox News continues, I'm less inclined to think they will continue to want that. Well, unless it's just agenda based, I have no idea there

I just want to say.....
zEwGR.gif

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=237524934&postcount=9166
I guess I just predict that going the full on conspiracy route is gonna fuck over Fox News.

Like, before before Trump, fox was very deliberate at never EXPLICITLY promoting a conspiracy. It was always carefully coded words. For example they would say that the media was left leaning and biased against republicans and use the term "mainstream media", but they would never outright say that the media was conspiring against them. Or you would have shit like Neil Cavuto's loaded questions as headlines like "Bush: Best President Ever?".

But now they have lost all subtlety to it. Now it is literally just them claiming every dumb conspiracy there is and claiming that anything that disagrees with them is in on the conspiracy.

And I get what some of you are thinking. "Well their base will eat it up." But if Fox News was able to get away with just being exactly like talk radio and breitbart, they would have done that shit from the start. But they didn't because going full-breitbart has too many problems such as:

- Advertisers start wanting to pull when your hosts inevitably start saying REALLY stupid shit
- Turning off moderates and quasi-moderates that may have previously been willing to watch Fox News when the bias was much more subtle and hard to point out
- Making it easier for everyone outside the fanbase to completely dismiss you as a source because you aren't even subtle at what you are doing
- Starting to actually dip in ratings because the vast majority of viewers of news and politics are looking to scratch an anti-trump itch now, not a "I want suck up to what is now technically the American establishment" itch. Yes I just called Trump part of the American Establishment.

I've seen this shit first hand. My mom used to watch Fox News all the damn time. But since she hates Trump, she barely watches the channel at all. She's still fairly conservative, but hilariously going full Breitbart has actually made it much easier for me to loosen that network's grip on her.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=237597486&postcount=125
Fox News is already going full on-breitbart considering:

- They are literally using the term "Deep State"
- Rather than using dogwhistles about a media conspiracy like they used to, they are now EXPLICITLY claiming one
- They are having Ted fucking Nugent all over the channel
- The only people left on the channel who know how to sound not crazy are Shep Smith, Chris Wallace, and Charles Krauthammer. Everyone else left is incapable of appealing outside of Trump's fanbase.
- They are LITERALLY pushing other conspiracy theories as well and recklessly. I can guarantee you that if Ailes types were still in charge there would be orders around fox to never explicitly suggest that Seth Rich was murdered by the DNC

Like I said before, the reason Fox News was able to rise to power wasn't JUST its appeal to conservatives, but the fact that they knew how to dogwhistle it so as not to turn off moderates and pseudo-moderates.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=237597732&postcount=127
They DID have conservative creds pre-Trump when they were good at selling their bullshit to more than just hardcore Trump supporters.

But now they are basically Breitbart TV. I even expect Hannity to say something anti-Semitic within the next 3 months.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=237601911&postcount=137
Arkham gets it.

Fox News has been strong for years, but this past year has really hurt the network:

- They lost Ailes because the women he groped and harassed were sick of his bullshit
- They lost O'Reilly because Ailes was the only reason O'Reilly shit hadn't come out before
- Greta and Kelly left because MSNBC had better deals for them
- Ratings have actually been starting to slip because the vast majority of news/politics watchers are looking to feed that anti-Trump itch.
- Fox was banking on feeding an Anti-Hillary itch and that all fell apart when Hillary lost
- and of course lets not forget that this was all after Fox tried and failed to keep Trump from winning the primaries

Fox without it's best expert Bullshit artists is like a shark without teeth.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=237603912&postcount=140
It's not just that though. Fox no longer has its best bullshit talkers.

The way they were set up in the past was:

- Fox and Friends would be carefully worded wink wink nudge nudge crap
- The actual news section (9-5) would TECHNICALLY News, but would mostly focus on antiDemocrat stories
- 5 O'clock would be when they have their "humorous" 5 person panel with one token liberal
- 6 O'clock would be their more "serious" panel with Bret Baer that would at least TRY to be like a genuine news panel
- 7 O'Clock would be Greta for what was the supposed to be the "moderate" show, even if in truth she was a pushover to conservatives
- 8 O'Clock was the big Hour with Bill. basically where the Fox News team put most of their energy at selling their bullshit as effectively as possible
- 9 O'Clock was Megan Kelly to appeal to suburban conservatives
- And finally before the reruns at 11, 10 O'clock was Hannity to have the show where someone would just unrelentingly go full-on cradling conservative testicles

But with Kelly, Greta, Bill, and Aires all gone, they don't have their set plan anymore. Now it's just:

- Fox and Friends in the morning where the team sucks up to Trump
- 9-5 to just constantly talk about the Middle East and North Korea because that's the only factual news they want to cover
- 5 O'clock is no longer funny because it's just everyone whining about all the mean things said about Trump. Oh now they have Ted fucking nugent
- 6 O'clock is no longer serious because it's just everyone whining about all the mean things said about Trump
- 7 O'clock is a nobody
- 8 O'clock is Fucker Carlson on to cradle GOP testicles and whine about all the mean stuff said about Trump
- 9 O'clock is Hannity now LITERALLY claiming that the Intelligence Community are a bunch of traitors and every other dumbass conspiracy theory

I fucking knew that if Fox could get away with actually going full breitbart they would have done it YEARS ago. They didn't pre-Trump because it's suicide. But now that they lost all of their leadership, the loonies are running the show and they are going full breitbart.

Top Bottom